why I'd be better off dead!

D

daljr15

I know this is wrong and a cowards way out. I can't find the help that I need to expell the demons within. I can't stop my codependency and I'm destroying the family that cares so much about me. I give them every chance to leave but they wont. I can't find a psychiatrist where I live that is taking new patients. I have money and insurance, and I have tried for last 2 plus years to find one. This is getting really old really fast, and all I seem to do is alienate everybody around me. I just need to MAN up and pull the trigger!

Right now you are stuck in the mire of guilt ("I am not who I want to be, not who my family needs me to be") and it may be difficult to see options, but you have many. It sounds like your family cares for you and I can assure you that if your family includes children that the scars from a parent's suicide will be far more life-altering than the scars from any issues you have with addiction or mood disorders. (I'm not sure what codependency means in this context.)

What I am going to suggest may sound radical but when one is contemplating ending life it may not sound so far-fetched. Have you ever thought of a retreat with guides for healing rather than a psychiatrist? There are many options here from Buddhist retreats that teach meditation and mindfulness to Vision Quest experiences that use nature and solitude as healers. Suicidal thinking is usually fatalistic thinking ("I am incapable of change") and so rather than going to a psychiatrist and getting drugs to dull or flatten your emotions, what about trying the opposite and learning to change the thoughts about your self and your life. Your thoughts become your life and if you are stuck in a negative thought pattern, it can be so cruel.

Feel free to PM me for more discussion. I feel from your post that you want to live. It is the life you are living that may need to die--not you.<3

I know this is wrong and a cowards way out. I can't find the help that I need to expell the demons within. I can't stop my codependency and I'm destroying the family that cares so much about me. I give them every chance to leave but they wont. I can't find a psychiatrist where I live that is taking new patients. I have money and insurance, and I have tried for last 2 plus years to find one. This is getting really old really fast, and all I seem to do is alienate everybody around me. I just need to MAN up and pull the trigger!

welp. some people on a philosophical level don't mesh well with the world. The bassist from "the band" comes to mind. He offed himself soon after the "last waltz" was filmed.

The problem here is that you most certainly will be able to find someone to help you. especially after two years. I find it one hundred percent impossible there is no pdoc taking new patients in your area over two years. howvever, you can always go the route of counseler, therapist, social worker, etc.

What will most likely happen is that you will end up hospitlized with this sort of talk. Now, if you were to approach a doctor that wasn't confidential and speak like this, it will hurt employment records. Otherwise, the three rule breakers in confidenitally are 1. murder 2. suicide 3. neglect/abuse

So basically, op, you will be hospitlized and legally unable to get a FOID card in your country. This means you will NOT be able to purchase own or carry a firearm legally. Which is a felony.

I doubt you alienate anyone around you. Why do you say that?

Another radical option here; just take a random road trip, alone or with your family, on a random day, with no warning. Just get up one morning, round up the family/dog/a friend/even just yourself, don't tell anyone at all (not job, neighbors, anyone at all; doesn't even matter if they label you missing and send out a search team) and dissapear for a day or more. Do something new and fun. I'm talking something like going to a random amusement park if that's what you like, or go on a cruise somewhere to an island, or go on a native american spirit walk and try peyote, or just do something radical you haven't ever done before. Trust me, it'll be quite refreshing. Even if it isn't a long term solution to your problems you'll definitely come back feeling great even if just for a little bit and maybe when you come back there'll be an oppening at a Psychiatrists office for all we know.

No, you have been manning up for years battling everything you have been battling. That is manning up. Not pulling the trigger is manning up. Writing your problems here is manning up.

You will find a way to man up and get through this and I assure you you will get through. It won't be manning up to pull the trigger, because you'll just be a corpse. We all die one day. Eventually the pain will be gone. No matter what. So why not keep going?

Keep pushing man, because a man is what you are right now.

Daly, you have 'come to the end of your tether' - a condition I know well, and of course you are not the first nor the last! Try to break out of the dark, dismal whirlpool you are apparently stuck in, with this thought, if possible. You have not always been like this, you have been happy I'm sure, and you can be again. Try to remember some 'peak' moments, before it all went wrong, just to remind yourself it is possible... and it will be again. That might just take the edge off your mood, as depression feeds on itself like a ghastly, vicious circle, and it is possible to break out, you have to believe that!

I myself attempted suicide very seriously only four years ago, being very 'sensible', logical and practical and deciding it was the only way out - I didn't really want to die, it just seemed there was no other way to avoid a hellish decline into a foul, desperate state I wantted to avoid. I took a few weeks preparing for it, writing sheaves of notes explaining to all my loved ones and friends that it was not their fault, and this was my decision and mine alone... blah.... blah... basically what I considered would do no harm to anyone I left behind. Even funeral address, music to be played... everything. And off I went one quiet dawn, and took a massive overdose of codeine, whiskey and a huge IV Librium injection to finish the job, once plastic bag and band were over my head....

All wnt wrong (needless to say), woke up freezing cold some six/seven hours later... and then the crap really began! DEspite all preparations, safeguards, notes, arrangements etc etc, all I got was a tirade of abuse about my 'selfishness', lost my girlfriend, lost several good friends permanantly, chucked out of the house, and grimmest of all, almost got banged up in the local loony bin... er, I mean 'Psychiatric Care Facility', which makes Prisoner Cell Block H look like a holiday camp. No help from anyone, treated universally with disgust, revelsion and even mockery... all that I could live with, f**k them! Isaid... but the people that really cared and mattered were terribly hurt and upset, filled with remorse at me, feeling sorry for themselves, the selfish bastards! Whatever you do, don't do it, should you survive, you'll never hear the bloody end of it, for you are now officially selfish, thoughtless, unreliable, cruel, uncaring, reckless, irresponsible, untrustworthy, stupid, mean, and (if you fail) clumsy, useless and disorganised. Nobody will read the notes, and only moan that you didn't even leave enough for a funeral!

So I sank into the depths of depression, and slowly learned how to live again.... but that's another dismal story! I'm glad I failed, but sorry I tried - "It seemed like a good idea at the time" I suppose. Please put the guns away, had I been armed it would have been different. The will be another, better way, just hang in there (hmmm... perhaps not the best expression, but...), and something WILL turn up, it has to in time. Be patient... and the very, very best of luck!

PS It is not 'the cowards way out', I know that very well! It is however a very harmful, destructive way out, which will leave so much bad feeling and misery behing, you'll never imagine... have strength...