• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
If you're addicted to codeine, even though it's a weak opioid, would the doctor give you methadone or suboxone to help you come off it?

Nope. As you say it is classed as a weak opiate, even when you are taking large amounts of it often. Buprenorphine is a partial, & methadone a strong opiate.

Legitimately, codeine is addictive, as is testament by the amount of codiene threads on BL.

Your doctor can help you to be comfortable while reducing your dose with the intention of coming clean.

Gotta run. I'll respond go your other thread later,

Rtp

i think it depends on the clinic and how much codeine you're taking.

I like codeine, would be awesome to walk into a grocery store & walk out with a few boxes of codeine phosphate, 60mg pills, or even 120mg pills if they make them.

Getting back to your question tho.......350mgs a day of codeine is six of the 60mg pills, not much of a habit at all, & you want to get on methadone?

Do you really know how strong methadone is?

IMO, if you had a hydrocodone habit of 150mgs to 200mgs a day........or a 240mgs of oxy a day, I would say you could try methadone to see if it helped.

Question: do you think you will ever try opiates again?

If so, why would you ruin your tolerance with methadone?

Because after you've done methadone, codeine won't do jack for you.

Only thing I like about methadone is it lasts forever, you dose once when you wake up & don't have to touch it for over 24 hours most times.

If I could get codeine phosphate & as much as I wanted, I would never go to anything harder.......until of course it stopped working.......

i know someone who was enrolled in a 28 day detox program for her codeine habit, although it was significantly greater than 300mgs a day.

Drop down 30-50mg a day and you'll be fine. You could even go CT, I've gone CT off 600mg and yes, it's very unpleasant, but very do-able. Within 5-6 days I was over the physical WDS.

DO NOT use methadone or bupe to get off it - two drugs which will be much much harder to taper down off.

Pretty sure you'd get laughed at in my country for asking to be put on methadone maintenance for a codeine addiction.I heard you needed to be an IV user thats been in and out of detox and hanful of time to be considered for MMT here.Now that was a few years ago and the requirements may be less strict since then but I still don't think they'd put you on Mdone or Subs for codeine.

Just curious, I did UTFSE, but no matches. Can codiene be extracted from a liquid solution containing paracetamol. Or apap as you guys call it? Links anyone?

Long ago mastered cwe, but I have a very large bottle staring right at me ;)

Rtp

It's possible to be enrolled in an ORT clinic for Codeine addiction, though the odds are low, especially at 350mg/day.
If you wish to quit, you're far better off going it alone at that dosage.

@RTP; it depends on the excipients, most solutions are filled with inactives.

Do yourself a favour and kick without sub or meth, that shit will ruin your life especially not worth it for a habit that small

what you're doing is comparable to amputating your arm if your get a splinter in your thumb

The best way to deal with this is to simply slowly taper off, take less each day, then, once your dose is quite low, start having a day without it every other day (use Benadryl for the off days), after you do this for awhile, add two days of rest in-between, then three, and finally four days between it should be enough to just stop using it at a low amount.

Do this and you shouldn't get dopesick and the withdrawal is best handled with eating right and exercising in the sunlight with fresh air.