• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opioid tolerance build up for significantly new users

lsdflat

Greenlighter
Hey everyone, I have been going through the threads and I have found a lot of information on opioid tolerance build up for people who having been using them for a long time, however I cannot find really information on how quickly it builds up when you really don't use them often. I may have missed a thread so if there is another thread I apologize for the unnecessary new one.

Lets say one uses hydrocodone for a few days every few months; What is the tolerance build up for someone like that day-to-day? Is it like other drugs (hallucinogens) in which it increases wildly right after use or is it more dependent on the regularity of use and your individual tolerance?

Thank you to any information you may have =D

Last edited:
It differs from individual to individual, that's why you can't find a straight answer.

Generally the longer you've been using them the more rapidly tolerance builds, so a naive user may even be able to get away with daily usage for a few days before tolerance becomes a factor. A chronic heroin user on the other hand may only get one dose before they need to double up.

It differs from individual to individual, that's why you can't find a straight answer.

Generally the longer you've been using them the more rapidly tolerance builds, so a naive user may even be able to get away with daily usage for a few days before tolerance becomes a factor. A chronic heroin user on the other hand may only get one dose before they need to double up.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was wondering! I realize individual tolerances can vary, it was more a generalization question. That makes complete sense. Thank you for the help :)

I know people that have Vern taking 10mgs of vicodin 3 or 4 tines a day for pain relief, & have been doing so for several years & it still works......while others suffer from a tolerance that keeps climbing.

Not everyone is the same, & while some people have a slow tolerance build up, others have a fast one

It all depends on how your metabolism. Everyone is different, for example I don't metabolize hydrocodone. But to answer your other question, you can build a tolerance hella quick!!

DC

It all depends on how your metabolism. Everyone is different, for example I don't metabolize hydrocodone. But to answer your other question, you can build a tolerance hella quick!!

DC

You're the first person I've read about that can't metabolize hydrocodone.

Heyyy

tolerance also comes from the method of administration also not just the amount of substance used.

Iving builds tolerances faster the other routes as there's more concentration in the plasma levels as it bypasses the liver compared to when oral ingestion now as for swallowing over a period of time opiates tend to slow down the digestive system, therefore the pills are no longer absorbed the way when one first started and of course it goes threw the liver as a filtration process! most people don't really think like that... someone can take the same amount of medication for years and stil get euphoric effects while other people are required to continuously up their dosage to even be able to get high or have pain management

Last edited:
now as for swallowing over a period of time opiates tend to slow down the digestive system, therefore the pills are no longer absorbed the way when one first started and of course it goes threw the liver as a filtration process! most people don't really think like that...

What? This is nonsense. Opioids do slow the GI tract by binding to opioid receptors in the gut, resulting in increased nonpropulsive contractions in the middle of the small intestine and decrease longitudinal propulsive peristalsis - critical to moving food through the intestines. However it has absolutely no effect on oral bioavailability. It all comes down to tolerance, which has nothing to do with gut motility.

What? This is nonsense. Opioids do slow the GI tract by binding to opioid receptors in the gut, resulting in increased nonpropulsive contractions in the middle of the small intestine and decrease longitudinal propulsive peristalsis - critical to moving food through the intestines. However it has absolutely no effect on oral bioavailability. It all comes down to tolerance, which has nothing to do with gut motility.

think about about what you said... Digestion is digestion period..... I personally don't take pills orally any more.... I take them by plugging..... I can taken the same amount orally and won't feel it but take it the other end a boiiiiii

A past doctor told me that oxycodone produces tolerance more rapidly than other traditional pain management drug (ie. morphine, hydrocodone, hydromorphone )