• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

confessions of a weirdness magnet (DXM tomfoolery)

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 28

scavenger tips

i've been told that a true stoner can make a bong out of anything, at any time. that's a bit beyond me, but i can make pipes. the basic is a coke can, held sideways with a flattened bit on top with holes poked in it. better is the foil pipe. you need a cheap bic pen and some aluminum foil (which my people still call 'tin foil'). cut a length about 2cm wider than the barrel of the pen, then fold those 2cm over. wrap it around the pen 5 or 6 times, then crush it tight. slide the foil cylinder almost off the pen, leaving only the conical end wrapped, then crush the foil around the tip and bend up at a 45 degree angle, remove pin. these tend to get crushed after a few uses - recycle them, dammit, but before you do, here's how to clean your pipe(s). get some alcohol, ethanol/grain alcohol or isopropyl, as pure as possible. heat it up in 10sec increments in the microwave, til it's hot, then put your pipe(s) in it, swirl and let sit a few hours. pour this liquid in a wide pyrex baking dish, place it in the oven WITH THE DOOR OPEN at the lowest temp - should take about 5min. when it's gone, scrape the bowl. this will work on any kind of glass or metal pipe, and recover almost any drug.

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 29

tower of babble on (play Outkast Babylon)

when the realpeople first came into the new world, they all lived in one place. the wisest among them knew that this was no good, that they would exhaust the land if they all stayed together. but what to do? every night the realpeople built campfires out on the plains, and it was like the stars had fallen to earth, go great were their numbers. the elders came together to discuss this and one ventured, if only we spoke different languages then perhaps we would scatter, and when we came back together, we could exchange foods. another responded, well, we do know brother mockingbird, who knows all of the languages of the birds, perhaps he could help us. so they conferred more and set about making the prayer offering to bring brother mockingbird, who lit on a prickly pear the next morning, saying, yo man, ssup? the elders explained. brother mockingbird told them, yeah, i got dis for ya. how about you, chief, you wanna twist your tongue, too? the elders respectfully declined, keeping the original language. that night, mockingbird flitted from one burnt out camp fire to the next. at each he would take something from his buckskin pouch, holding as if it were full of bees trying to escape, and bury that thing in the ashes, then take something else from the firepit and put that instead into the strange pouch. thus he went from fire to fire until it was all done, then he returned to the chief and gave him the bustling pouch and said, yo, now this shit is on y'all. take that bag out and bury it, burn it and bury it again. thus the elders did, while brother mockingbird sat on his cactus and watched. then as the sun rose, and the realpeople with it, the found that for each camp fire, those closest to it had a new language that they did not share with any of the other realpeople. they were dismayed, of course, this was a terrible shock - families unable to talk to each other. then brother mockingbird spoke to them all, in every language and none, and said, i have gifted you as your elders requested, but i have also give you my gift, unknown to them. now the realpeople, like me, can learn any language with time and care. SNAP, bitches, 'cause i roll like dat! and he flew away.

so now, rainbow children, when you see a mockingbird, you must tell him, "gracias, arigatoo, xie-xie and shikamoo" to thank him for the gifts of language he gave us.

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 31

standing on the shoulders of giants (play King of Birds by REM)

seyorni said:
ZiprHead said:
Burroughs? I was thinking more Hunter Thompson.
Yes, It could be Thompson, I'm also reminded of Thomas de Quincey.

this is my analysis to yet another forum that shut me down or out (leaving this going on three, here, a general drugs forum and a forum on DXM, both under art. fuck the fourth wall.

have any of you read Naked Lunch, or even seen the movie? i can see it would he hard to see the art in what i'm doing, unless you've read a book written entirely while smacked out on heroin, which was banned for obscenity and then redeemed as one of the best parts of 20thc lit. it's a brutal, intense dissection of american culture as a culture of addiction, yet the prose is beautiful. i'm writing in the same manner, and also in the manner of the japanese zen style of 'essays in idleness', which is said to have been written on pages that were then randomly assembled, yet it has a profound story. also, burroughs is about addiction, i'm writing about freedom from addiction, which is the appendix, really, because our culture is never going to give up cheap energy junk until its gone. shrug. instead of burrough's mugwomps (hideous aliens that secret poppymilk from udders on their heads) i'm talking about Coincidence Control Central, aka the good aliens, made famous by the utter kook Dr. John Lilly, who spent his life doing ketamine in sensory deprivation tanks (i think he helped invent them) and then trying to teach dolphins synthetic languages. the point being, i'm not some wanker off his nut. well, yes, but i'm doing something....

if you want to see my writing, i wrote most of short story, kind of psychedelic fantasy, while pissed on IV morphine and dilaudid, years back, but it is pretty fresh. between coleridge and burroughs (william and edgar rice). like his wife said to him in the movie, 'its a literary drug'. and it works, till you run out of dope. i went to methadone, then kicked that, 60mg a day to nothing, overnight, and instead of sweating and puking, the mural i painted of a mayan jaguar with a flower growing out of his head (which represents a dream) came and told me: if you want to, tomorrow you can rationalize everything that happens tonight. that's what rationalization is - making up reasons when you know nothing for sure. but remember this: just because you can rationalize anything doesn't mean that irrational things never happen. and then he cured me, and i went a bit nutty for a few days and then got back to life.

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 32

this is your brain on drugs
(play Shriekback's Nemesis)

this is part of the book i started writing while whacked out on morphine, trying to pull a coleridge (note that he didn't finish, either, should have taken that into account). i sketched out the background while in the APD lockup for manufacturing. there's a lot of expostion, so here's a summary if that bugs you. this is a new weird take on colonial fiction. the natives are the florans, a mix of faeries, who are the immortal analogs of the various orders of insects, so that sprites have dragonfly wings. they share their tree cities, built in the canopies and ground of dryad hometrees (thus there are chocolate tree dryads and cashew dryads) with the various omnivorous and carnivorous mammals, all of which are mortal lycanthropes that can take human form. their society is near post-scarcity, just enough to keep it fun, with advanced magical technology.

eons ago the mistflower jungles, the home of the florans, was invaded by the retreating and refugee savage elves, whose domain on the region know as the tepuin (a tepui is a mesa in the jungle) had just been shattered by the uprising of the macaw nation. savages elves are universally insane, though each one's pathology is different. yet they have advanced magical technology, learned by experimenting on their brethren and slaves. necromantic alchemy is the basis, whereby bodily fluids are drained from different faerie races and mixed into hugely powerful potions, some of which can bend reality. the shifters they just reanimate as zombies or jujus, which have some bit of mind left, or chonchon attack drones. just fyi, chonchons are from incan mythologies. at night the body's ears grow huge and the head rips from the body, intestines dangling, and flies off to attack. well, you get the picture, gleefully wicked children set loose with the powers of gods. the first book was to be called Welcome to the Occupation, after the REM song in a trilogy called the Lotus Position, which is about the ethics of genocide - should the florans wait a few more centuries and let the savage elves die off, ignoring the statistically insignifant raids, or, if given the power, exterminate them. so, this is chapter two of Welcome to the Occupation, where the villians are introduced.

Meeting of the Bored

"We're all so clogged with dead ideas
passed from generation to generation
that even the best of us don't know the way out
We invented the Revolution
but we don't know how to run it"

- The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat As Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade, a play be Peter Weiss

To know Thuksula Zombiemaster, one must first know the Fu'suliashi, as one must know what is normal before appreciating what is not, though "normal" will have to be relative in such a discussion. The Fu'suliashi are the Savage Elves of the Mistflower Jungles, Unseelie kin to the more common varieties. Physically distinctive, they have cyan skin with hair in various pastel shades, and it is customary among of the Ccnnibals to cover their bodies with tattoos and to file their teeth. The Elven commonality shows in their long limbs, sharp features, Faerie natures and gangly two meter height.

Beyond simple (though disturbing) appearances, the Savages also practice many foul and disgusting black arts and furthermore are known to be mad as a box of worms, though no less dangerous for it. Nevertheless, they are the dominant civilization in the Threefalls region of the jungles, primarily because their necromantic alchemy is powerful, one of the high magics, and thus supersedes and often cancels the compiled sciences of the Flowerfolk and other decent indigenies.

Fu'suliashi civilization is based on slavery and servitude. They have a base work force of robot-like zombies, legions of semi-intelligent juju slaves and flying chonchon attack drones, along with a nightmare zoo of twisted inanimals. Fortunately their servants are durable and non-biodegradable, reducing their need for fresh victims. Even the prisoners from which they milk the ingredients for their cannibal tisanes are undying Faeries, leaving the Savages with little cause to interact with outsiders. They raid and terrorize, but their attacks are random and infrequent. Since assaulting their cities, with their teeming undead and other monstrous defenders, is basically impossible, the Flowerfolk of Threefalls merely endure. As is common with madmen, Fu'suliashi prefer their own company. Most are too concerned with upcoming galas, events and spectacles, and with social status amongst their peers to be a large threat to their neighbors.

Not that the Savages lack in technology, they practice the same arts of lorecraft and enchantment as other peoples, but that they do so with a certain decadence. Their society is clearing rotting from within, albeit slowly. Their golden age, such as it was, ended five thousand years ago, when the nascent Macaw nation expelled them from the Tepuin bioregion. Since then, several of their redoubt cities in the Threefalls region have been abandoned as the population slowly dwindles. The only area of growth, cancerous though it may be, is the ill named city of Serenity, home of the thriving lotus dust trade.

Thuksula is thus like a disease that breeds in a corpse. He is not content to moulder in peace, he must seek out and involve others and thus secure his position. He remembers the Exodus, being one of the few remaining Fu'suliashi to have survived the Tepuin Genocide, and he embodies the revenge of a people who have forgotten the original cause belle. The fact that most of his race are unconcerned with their past persecutions, that he is the lone bearer of the faith, is one of the things that drives him to such contrived and deliberate mayhem, another spike in his already cracked mind.

The Zombiemaster himself is physically unexceptional. His hair and eyes are puce, his teeth are filed to points, and his body is covered with irregular polygons of vibrant orange and fuzzy sky-blue, somewhat like a scattered abstract expressionist jigsaw puzzle. His only garb is a pair of black latex shorts with jagged cuffs, giving him an oddly juvenile appearance. His hair, which is spiky and cut at random lengths, adds to the effect.

It is an unfortunate fact that many lunatics have a certain charisma, even that the depth of their dysfunction somehow powers their charm. Thuksula Zombiemaster is one such lunatic, and he has used his powers of manipulation and inspiration to assemble a cadre of like-minded Savages, which he calls the Trust Cooperation.

The Trust Cooperation makes it's home in an ahuizotl spirittrap known as the Rooms in Rooms (aka the RoRoomoms). Ahuizotl are native monsters that resemble jaguars with the heads of simians. They have smooth brown skin except for a mane of green hair, covering their heads like a lion's mane then continuing down their backs like a horse's. The most alien and disturbing part of them is their tails, which end in a human style hand, either left or right depending on their psuedogender. The tails are much stronger than a mundane animal's, fully capable of lifting human sized prey.

The spirittraps of the ahuizotls are places were the mere contemplation of geometry is mortally perilous. Individual structures are widely varied in architecture, but all are spatially warped in such a way that trespassers and/or observers cannot get free of them. In pre-Exodus times, they were built with unmortered stone and earth trapped in pockets of twisted space-time. In the modern era, ahuizotls use magically created bricks salvaged from abandoned Fu'suliashi cities. Every sane and surviving inhabitant of the Mistflower Jungles is conditioned from birth to immediately shut it's eyes upon sight of stacked bricks of black abode, turn full 'round then flee without a backwards glance. This of course does not apply to the Savage Elves, who are by no estimation sane, nor even often interested in personal survival. Thuksula's Cooperation in fact deliberately provides the monsters with building materials.

Cooperation headquarters is located within the Rooms in Rooms, a collection of black, irregular cubes stacked haphazardly, with random and often inaccessible doors and windows. From the inside, the geometry of the rooms is subtly disturbing, there are no right angles or perpendicular lines. Stairways that may or may not go anywhere or that are completely unreachable add to the effect.

In addition to the Zombiemaster, there are twelve Directors of the Trust Cooperation, all seated around a thick plywood table, with Thuksula at the head. The Directors are dressed in typical Savage fashion: some combination of skin-tight black latex and pastel rayon scarves. Fu'suliashi have a very different view of the function of clothing - consider Umsa'an Fluxmaster, the Director of Commerce, who wears only a ski mask style latex hood, and nothing else. His tattooes trace the courses of major viens and arteries in purple and yellow. The only exception to this trend is Ahimsa, a heavily muscled puce haired female who sits on the Zombiemaster's immediate left.

Ahimsa Ladydark is a striking figure, even for a Savage Elf. She customarily wears a black latex body suit that covers her from neck to wrist to ankle, to which are affixed pieces of adamantium plate. She has greeves, vambraces, a gorget, a belt and a shapely breastplate brassiere, all tastefully worked and clearly functional. Innumerable thin links of floor-length chain hang from her belt, forming a kind of protective but revealing skirt, which makes a characteristic grinding swish when she walks. Unlike most of her race, she does not file her teeth, which indicates a lack of grooming and is thus considered unattractive. Her facial tattoo is a simple black line that bisects her face then makes an irregular semicircle on the left side, a pattern repeated on the backs of her hands and the tops of her feet. She is, in her own way, powerfully beautiful, a situation that exacerbates her violent parthenomania.

She is a Cosmoknight, the Unseelie order of knighthood in the endless and mostly irrelevant (to other Savages) High War. The Cosmoknights have a code of battle which centers around limiting civilian casualities and individual combat, but are nevertheless known to poison and torture their enemies. In addition she is Thuksula's sister and the Director of Security in the Trust Cooperation. This combination makes her Second Executive, and a power in her own right, controller of most of the military aspects of the company.

The Directors are seated around a thick no nonsense plywood table. Thuksula is at the head, at the opposite end there is a small gong attended by a quarter meter tall juju slave holding a full size gavel. At the Zombiemaster's gesture, the little undead ceremoniously rings the gong, which produces a nerve-rending screech, totally unlike what it's shape would suggest. The assembled Directors either flinch or roll their eyes, apropos, but they do come to attention.

"The 35,869th meeting of the Board of Directors will now come to order, all in agreeance say 'mud', " intones the Zombiemaster, with some measure of grace. "Mud" is echoed from the twelve Directors, will a clear lack of enthusiam. "The first order is old business. We will hear the report of the Director of Intelligence."

Ee'za Mindmaster rises to speak. His costume consists of alternating horizontal bands of latex and rayon, making him look somewhat like a pile of varicolored worms. His tattoes are squiggly lines of red and green. Given his job and lifestyle choices, he is what might be considered a highly functional bellicose paranoic.

"As you well know, we face an enemy of vast and subtle power, and thus secrecy is essential. The first stage of my counterintelligence program, by which I mean the construction and occupation of the ahuizotl structures in order to defeat the enemy's clairvoyance, has been complete for some time and furthermore has been an unquestionable success. Now, I propose to you, my fellow Directors, it is time to engage in the second phase-"

"Oh, please, Ee'za, not more of your idiot helmets," this from Shumzula, who is virtually mummified in technicolor scarves.

"Ahh, no, athough your lack of enthusiam betrays you, my dear Director. The counterpsi helmets will remain optional though highly recommended, at the request of our Chief Executive. I, for one, would not be caught outside without one. As I was saying, it is now time to engage the second stage of our program. As stated and conclusively proven in my previous presentations, our enemies have developed telepathic micro-organisms capable of observing our activities here within our havens, then following us outside, parasites on our very bodies, to report to their unseen masters."

"Our antisurveillance testing proceeds apace, though results are difficult to quantify. With the timely aid of Director Zhang, (bow) I have developed a program of sterilization and hygiene that offers us some chance of continuing in secrecy. A continuing program of antiseptsis should be our first priority. When our foes have demonstrated such casually invasive powers, our caution must know no limits. The Director of Etiquette will demostrate."

Director Zhang stands. His hair is baby blue, his tattoes blue and pink spots of random sizes. He wears a crossed latex chest harness and a beautiful, flowing skirt of pink rayon. He places before him a small bottle of faceted obsidian, shaped like a pineapple. He looks at the bottle, scowls, then moves it a few centimeters to the left.

"My fellow Directors," he begins, then pauses and moves the bottle back to its original position. "Members of the board, it is my pleasure to introduce our newest development: the Antisept Tisane." With this he takes the bottle and screws off the crown-like latex top to reveal a dropper. With great concentration, he raises the dropper over the table and squeezes. A single drop of clear liquid falls and hits the table. Instantly the room is filled with a sharp ammoniac smell, the directors are in disarry, coughing and wincing. Zhang himself briefly shudders in apparent ecstacy and waits for the commotion to cease. Several of the Directors are glaring at him, disgusted with his display of mysophobic paraphilia.

"A single drop will destroy all microbes within a ten meter radius, with a partial effect out to twenty meters. We have prepared a bottle for each of you, which should easily last several months. Once again, Fusuliashi technology has triumphed over birdbrain trechery." He reaches for the bottle again, and all the Directors cringe in anticipation. With a heady, self-satisfied sigh, he releases another drop. "Frequent reapplication, is, of course-"

"That will DO, Director Zhang, we understand and congratulate you. Second Executive Ladydark, if the reaches for it again, cut off his hands," interrupts Thuksula. Ahimsa looks directly at Zhang, death in her eyes. She licks her lips evocatively and reaches over her back to draw her organo-adamantium bastard sword. Cowed, Director Zhang sits abruptly.

"The next order of business concerns the Director of Propaganda. Report to us, Waymaster, of the Cacmaw Project."

Aa'hui Waymaster is the Director of Propaganda and a certified complusive liar.Her clothing involves winding spectrally colored rayon scarves, which form only sleeves, along with latex arranged like a bikini. He is the champion of the Cacmaw project - the genesis of macaw inanimals through the power of black magic, in this case the inanimal tisane. This bit of necromantic alchemy causes the essence of a beast to be cutoff from the universal Anima, causing it to mutate into a perverted version of its original form - the inanimal, animal undead. Thus Cacmaws are macaw colored ratites with hugely muscled naked legs, a long feathered neck and a psittacine head. Their bills are greatly enlarged and razor sharp. Most significantly, as macaws are psychic, Cacmaws have antipsi - mind static that disrupts other attempts at mentalism, and it was the psychic gestalt of the newly unified macaw nation that crushed the ancien regime.

"Cacmaws have become the mounts of choice throughout the region. Despite the people's apparent apathy for the War, there remains a strong hatred for macaws. The introduction of the macaw inanimals has capitalized on this admiralbly. Having a Cacmaw mount is a status symbol in all the cities - in the Arena Menagerie there are daily Cacmaw fights and races. In Serenity, a single suspended hybrid macaw is worth a hundred weights of lotus dust - and a Hyacinth can bring thousands. There are five independant poacher companies who routinely raid the borderlands, using Cacmaw mounts - a vicious cycle, as we intended. The birdbrains retaliate, but without direction and to little effect."

Aa'hui is clearly pleased with himself, looking at the others expectantly. After a moment there is smattering of forced applause, after which Thuksula moves on the next order of business, indicated the Director of Technology, Ekonosoli Shadowmaster. He wears a sequined rose and blush ball gown with adamantuim breast cones. His tattooes are electric blue lightening streaks. For most of the meeting, he busily twirls the salmon color hair at the apex of his head around his finger, stopping only when it comes his turn to speak.

"Project Tenebrae...." He pauses for a moment and cocks his head to the side, then growls sotto voce, "Later, bitches, I'm busy" Returning his attention to the board, he continues "Our world is interwoven and mirrored by an assortment of elemental planes - I'm sure this is not news to any of you, nor that our actions and those of the djinns have effects that translate with indirect consequences. Project Tenebrae is an attempt to exploit this, to, in effect, take advantage of the side effects of our efforts. In particular, our 'funding', let us say, of the spirittraps has an especially useful effect on the Shadow Plane. By means of techniques acquired from the Dark Elves, we have been able to communicate and coordinate with the elementals, to our mutual profit. They capitalize on the dimensional echoes of our architectural endevours, and we get mirage djinn slaves. It is my pleasure to announce that the controlling technology for the djinns has been perfected and standardized to the extent that it will be available soon for general use. Their utility is of course limited by their incorporeal natures, but they excel at stealth - they are fully intelligent and adaptable agents, even creative. Yet they are utterly enslaved, as our children are, with true name spirit tokens.

"The nature, the very substance of these beings, is illusion. They occupy space, but have no mass. They generate no energy of their own, but can distort existing energy into mirages with light, sound, heat components and, in some cases, auras that register as smells. Their knowledge is limitless but parasitic - their ability to draw images from the minds of observers to create believable illusions is uncanny. They can be harmed by coherent light, concentrated sonics, and, I assume, psychic attacks, but left to their own defenses can easily dodge any of these. Yes, fellow Directors, these beings can dodge sunbolts. They are, of course, totally immune to any kind of damage from kinetic energy...-"

"Meaning they can't DO anything. What are you going to do, Shadowmaster, scare people to death? Haven't you tried that already?" remarks Akee'zha Truthmaster. The rest of the Directors giggle and titter, excepting Thuksula, who has the air of an indulgent grandparent.

"Since you mention it, dear Akee'zha, yes, that has been known to happen. Unconsciousness it more common - in cases of attacks with illusionary weapons people feint." He waits for a moment, but the only reaction is a few impatient glares. "In any case, I think a demonstration is in order . . . " He is interrupted with chuckles, amused grins and nose-tapping, but just looks back at the other Directors, perplexed.

"Whatever," he conceeds, "watch and learn." He removes a small black iron box from his bustierre and places it on the table, flicking open the lid as he does. Nothing of significance seems to happen. "Normally, the names of elementals are keep secret, but this is irrelevant to Shadow Elementals. Thnmbthk (?), come out - full coverage" The sound he makes, apparently the creature's name, is utterly incoherent. In any case, nothing continues to happen.

"As you can see, we are now totally immersed in the shadow deamon, in a sense, we are inside it," he begins.

"No I don't. See, see what? Why did you make that noise, that razzberry sound? Did you spit something at me!?!," they all interrupt at once. Ekonsoli purses his lips and waits to let them finish.

"First Executive, if I may petition for silence? All questions will be answered in time"

"Very well, point of order" agrees Thuksula, who gestures to the juju. The little creature strikes the gong again, making no sound at all. All of the seated Directors reach up and finger-zip their lips together in unison.

"Where was I?," he says and cocks his ear. "Ah, so, thank you, Phthlmnp (?) As I was saying, we are now inside a completely interactive illusionary environment. Witness, exhibit delta!" Suddenly all of the Directors are looking at each other instead of Ekonosoli, twisting their heads right and left like agitated birds, while Thuksula looks on in bemusement. "End delta. " The confusion lasts only a few seconds, then attention is returned to the speaker. "Each of you experienced a completely separate illusion, a layer of distorted light just above your eyes, moving with you, while the Executive saw, well, nothing more unusual than could be expected. " He gives them a moment to digest this. "While the last exhibit was prearranged, it need not be. Mirage Djinns have a multifocus consciousness, which can create many separate illusions totally impromptu. What was that, Hhlrrpmh(?) Ah, yes, a volunteer from the audience, that should be educational. Any suggestions?" He looks around expectantly. There is a round of silent eye rolling and teeth clenching before Thuksula gets his cue and gestures to the gong, which emits a spontaneous deep bass ring.

"Well, a request, anyone?" he asks. Most of the Directors put on a play of studied disinterest, except Aganti Ticklemaster, the Director of Acquisitions, whose eyes are wide with childish delight. He wears a black top hat and coat with tails, no shirt, and puffy translucent gray pantaloons. Aganti's tattoes are varicolored handprints, the one centered on his left cheek most noticeable. "Can you do . . . butterflies? PLEEEZE!" He raises his hands before him in prayer position and claps in anticipation.

Ekonosoli smiles indulgently and winks. "Very well. Llhmnph (?), proceed." Suddenly the room is awash in vivid technicolor butterflies of all sizes. Rather than flitting aimlessly, as is normally the wont of such, these insects are engaged in vicious aerial combat. Apparently their wings are made of ultrafine glass panes - sharp and brittle. Damaged butterflies crash into the table, collapsing into piles of shards with a musical tinkling. The Directors seem interested in this, at least aesthetically. Aganti himself is wonderstruck, mouth agape. "This particular format is purely from the imagination of the elemental, and, to a degree, from the mind of Director Aganti. As I was saying, the creatures have a positive talent for design - it is part of their nature. Okay, enough, Phfmlphm (?), back in the box." The display vanishes, and Ekonosoli closes the box.

"To answer an obvious questions first, the names. If you do not know the true name of the djinn, you cannot hear it correctly. In a sense, the name itself is a distortion. This is also a part of the nature of this particular variety of elemental, and very convienent - it is autoencrypting. Given the information economy of the Dark Elves, this is to be expected with much of their technology. It is one of the few bits of knowledge they will allow us until the completion of our Humourous Grimoire, a subject I shall leave to our Director of Commerce (bow to Umsa'an). The second concern is range. Shadow elementals do not function well independently. It is best that they stay in a locale that is familiar, or that they accompany their keeper. This largely a problem of focus - they are very distractable and can in fact become lost. "

"Initially, our primary use of mirage djinn technology should be military, I'd suppose. Once our enemies become familiar with such tactics, they will be of less use, and thus can be phased out and used as high value trade items. Though we do not have a sufficient supply yet of these beings for casual use, yet, I would say, we have reached at point at which further in house testing would be redundant. On that note I will close, unless you have questions?"

[cut]

that's the last contiguous bit. i had fun with it.

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 33

a river is a process

having a deep understanding of the nature of reality can really up your mojo. do you grok the double slit experiment? gross summary, particles passing through a pair of slits in an opaque material produce different patterns when the particles are counted or otherwise experienced directly than when they are unobserved. this has been tested on rings of carbon atoms, too, so it actually works on everything, maybe.

in one school of buddhism (it's yogachara, but i'm doing it such a great disservice here i hesitate to name it) an instance of reality is seen as the interaction between an external 'seed', which you can only experience through layers and layers of sensory filters, and the blossoming of the seed in your brain, the coherent image you create and perceive. it takes both to make an atom of reality, and our experiences are that process. you can't stop a river and it still be a river, you can't pull a part away and have anything river-like. likewise that seed is useless without the observer. where can an object that by definition cannot be perceived exist? your imagination, where it's always been. we can talk about the layers of perception and mental filters, there are detailed guides but i'm not going into sanskrit.

aside: possibly the only valid thing r. heinlein ever said is that you should be able to get by in several languages and read one ancient one to be considered fully sapient.

one effect of examining the process of reality along with meditation is that you can become the person that hears the voice in your head, instead of it being your identity. in the four noble truths, the first describes suffering, and attachment to dopamine pleasure jerks isn't the only problem. you can become attached to your identity. when someone threatens a nation or people or whatever, and you feel threatened yourself, this is identity error. not, mind you, that you shouldn't be concerned about such things, but that you should be aware of what is happening. (okay, nationalism is a disease, i said it). that concentrated awareness, rooted in detachment, yields profound bliss, while your brain continues to run flawlessly. but i can't tell you how to meditate here, there is an actual rule that says you must be taught meditation by a face to face teacher. it helps immensely, and, if you go picking at your mind in the wrong way, you can mess it up. that's called dharma transmission, as i understand it. this happened to me when i was 22, the year after my mom died an agonizing death from cancer, and i was just cruising through undergrad. linguistics was too hard, so i switched to my focus language, japanese. i cruised through the literature classes (i love ancient japenese poetry, from 10,000 Leaves of Grass and the Nihonshoki, but not shogunate age stuff, haiku. Hitomaro is probably the best, and a certified poet-saint besides). i signed up for 'the vision of buddhism' with text by roger coreless (seriously? yes, it's a fantastic text where the information is shaped like the buddha's life). during the lecture on yogachara i had the strangest realization that i already understood this. like being able to drive and meeting someone who's explaining the road signs. or the gay self-actualizing like how when you're a kid and you know you're different, but you don't know the name for what you are, and then wow, they're lots of you. i think something like that happened to about half the class, i heard people talking about that professor years later, saying it was a total mindfuck in a good way. so i count that as my dharma transmission, but the people i learned from later, though i probably shouldn't.

keeping the nondualist solution to the objectivity/subjectivity paradox clear in your mind is one of the Eightfold Paths, along with such shit as Right Language, do not lie or deceive, do not use language to harm your community and Right Livelihood, a vocation that doesn't involve harming other beings and helps you realize your full potential. so, it's important. and i'm telling you that it's the root of your mojo. until you understand the process, you're just a dawg on a chain. after, that river bit? you learn to swim a bit. just a bit. focused non-attention. and, when your mind is in that state, the supercilious ass-hats up in CCC cislunar station and work through you, if you choose to do that, and you really should not.

remember this, and i'm dead serious, the triple jewel is buddha, dharma and sangha. dammit, i went to sanskrit. buddha, the teaching and *the community*. you simply cannot do this without the community. it's a human process, and humans are social animals. coming from a life, a worldview, entirely determined by addiction to the pleasures of the world into freedom from desire is an epic mindfuck and you need a trip sitter, dammit.

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 34

the end of the world as we know it
(play Mad World)

i'm giving this up, indefinitely. the reason is selfish, petty and nuts, but it's my reason. see, i implied that i didn't take the messiah job/being full on nuts back in the 90s because it would get me killed. that's not true. i knew it would get me executed, like death row style where you have to sit and wait for it for years, and i agreed, on one condition - that i didn't have to die alone, that there would be someone who cared about me til the end. since then, and this was thirty plus years ago. since then i haven't had a bf except the chef guy, who was a curse, and i haven't had any friends i knew outside of work or jail, who inherently don't know this side of me. that sucks - despite buddhist ideas of non-attachment, humans are social primates and need the touch of other humans, or they go mad. they did experiments with monkeys, giving them only fake plastic mothers, and they cracked. fuck. even buddhism tells you you must have sangha, community, as just as important as the buddha or his teachings. that's why it crushed me when my ferret got cancer. fuck, i was making $1200/mon from my scholarship, and i saved $2300 in two months by eating rice and at a soup kitchen, to have her tumors removed, *then they came back* and there was nothing to do. they'd already gutted my baby like a fish the first time. that little varmit, ms ahimsa dharma, loved me every bit of her soul, and i earned that, not like the unconditional, automatic love of a dog, by working very hard at being the most fun giant bald ferret playmate ever.

i couldn't handle it - that's why i really got on morphine, telling myself i could drop out of grad school and write (though i did write). and when i ran out of money, after being on 60mg of methadone a day for while, i quit, overnight, with the process. dreaming jaguar came to me out of the mural, i got it as a tattoo with my last money the next day (which would have been spent on methadone). then an old bf, which only lasted a month, contacted me. he was a shrink/addiction recovery specialist. you can imagine how well that went. but he said he'd help me kick, but i don't need that help, i need afterwards, so he put me up in his guest room with ahimsa. in the month he knew me, he when from the atkins diet to my diet and became buddhist, though he did all the reading himself and all that, but i was a catalyst that changed him, and much for the best. i do that to people, but i'm like fire. they love getting warm, but once they get burned, they don't want anything to do with it. know he knows me, i already did some crazy shit with him. tell that? it's context. okay, we were fine until we did the hiv test thing, where you get tested and drop the condoms. cool, i'm safe, we did, waited two weeks and made the calls to get results. i admit it was a relief to hear neg, but i expected it. then buddy asked me for my card/phone number. i said, why? sure, but why? he said, so i can call it and check. damn, he could have stuck a knife in me and i would have been less surprised, though now, wiser, i know people can lie about that (chef would have). i over reacted, took my car in the bathroom and burned it and walked out. well by then, he really liked the changes that were going on, so he made nice and we agreed to do it again and swap cards. but dammit, that shit hurt and i'm insane. so we did it again and mailed off our stuff. only i went and bought another kit and pricked my sister's finger and sent it off and kept that card. and two weeks later we swapped and called and my sister is neg, wasn't sure of that. then he just opens up, but i can't even look at him. he goes on and on, and i just have to tell him and i did. i said, you trust me cause you love me, not because i can't fool you. if i'd been positive, i'd have expected you to stay with me and help me, so i'd tell you. but you sprung that shit on me, and it hurt like a bitch, mostly because it was unexpected, and then made me apologize to you. i hurt back - this is what it feels like to have the rug yanked out from under you. now, that was nuts of me. people do lie about hiv status. and fuck, this was after i fucked with him about talking to me like a shrink - you know the way they train them, to turn questions back, 'it matters what you feel'. that was his defense mechanism, and it bugged me, so one day when he was a gay resort in the azores and chatting on the internet, i hooked his end up to ELIZA, the computer program that simulates a therapist. i even altered its responses to be more like me, and it talked to it for 15 min before i broke in and stopped it. yeah, i'm nuts, but my bf doesn't get to talk to me like i'm his patient on a couch.

so this guy, and his lover, loved the murals at my house, kept talking about them and the guy is a big fan of Hokusai, the painter of that famous almost fractal wave. so in his guest bathroom i paint another famous Hokusai, 'Dream of a Fisherman's Wife' which shows a woman in rapturous sex with an octopus. i did it anime style with cheap acryllics from mal-wart, so you could wash it off or cover it up pretty easy. we were already having trouble about ahimsa, he said i told him she lived in a cage, and i said no, she has a cage, she lives with me. it was taking her a few days to get used to the new litter pan arrangement, but damn, she was born deaf and two different types of cancer, give a weasel a break. but he kicked me out, even called the cops when it took me too long. i had to go live with my family, back on the farm. so, a place to heal and recoup, right? well, my sister lives there and has since she dropped a kitten twenty years ago and refused to take care of it. drove my stepmother out, who was a religious nut, but a simple woman who tried to be good. i made friends with my stepmother, even though when i met her i was a pagan with a pentagram necklace, and we had ever reason to hate each other. put she was a good person, so we got along. my sister, on the other hand, is the DnD textbook definition of lawful evil. her laws. she's hated me since i was born, when she was nine. get the picture? well, i moved into the basement, and even though i'd been there when i got ahimsa and no one had noticed for two weeks, she's not to be allowed in the house. i have to keep her in a cage, outside. ahimsa only ever got put in the cage when she was really bad, so its punishment for her. and then everytime i went to see her, my sister would meet me at the door and make me strip, so she could wash my clothes in those disgusting perfumes to make them clean. instead of helping me, my father more or less turned that bitch loose on me. i knew ahimsa could barely pee now, and she had days left. so i went and bought the drugs and put her down. because i couldn't hear her heartbeat and didn't want her waking up latter, i crushed her head with a hammer, then went and very determinedly tried to off myself, which ended with me in prison.

once in jail, i can't talk to my father because of his hearing problem, i have to talk the evil bitch and have her relay it. in other words, i'm helpless, and she consistently screws me. they can't find a lawyer, they don't know what to do, meaning my sister won't try, so i end up with a lawyer who represented me on some minor stuff a long while back. well, i can't call him directly, his phone refuses collect calls, and there are no cells in county lock up. only through my sister. i sent him letters asking for the evidence against me, but he never answers, til a year and a half later when he brings me the DA's deal and i go to prison. all along my sister has been skimming from the money my dad tried to put in my account, and to this day every time he's pissed he throws up who much the lawyer cost him ($5000) because i got messed up on drugs. the only way i can get out of prison is to live with him, and he makes me agree to apply for disability because i'm crazy and helpless. right. so i get out and spend two years in his basement, geeked up and miserable, waiting on disability. now, see, i had to go to a free clinic shrink as part of my probation, and i found one i could talk to, even though he was a jesus freak. at one point i told him i'd smoked pot a few times before bed to see if it'd help with the nightmares (he never knew about anything else) and it really didn't so i stopped. then months later i dig out of him that though he's trying to help me, he honestly believes i'll spend eternity in hell for being gay, and it's really pointless. i quit and transfer to a new clinic, and he reports me as a habitual marijuana smoker so i have to take drug classes before they'll readmit me. and then my SSI judge get this and denies me because 'if i'm able to get high, i should be able to get a job'. that was a month ago, when i gave up waiting to die and kicked again and started living and writing this.

now for a month, i've done everything my dad loves. when i reorganized the basement kitchenette and spit cleaned, prison style (if it's not spotless and the dorm loses the competition for the weekend VCR (which the guards chose randomly, of course), some huge nigga who has his heart set on watching Twilight will beat the piss out of you), my dad gives me the first compliment i've ever had from him, literally, saying 'it looks good'. well, knock me over with a feather. i've also saved him huge amounts of money by helping him shop, on the internet and otherwise, helped him plant his garden, taken over some lawnwork, gotten control of my diabetes, etc. i had a huge, vicious battle with my sister first, because she fucks with my stuff. going into my kichenette and taking my clean dishes and putting them in diskwater and leaving them, because 'they're not clean', and in the process taking anything she thinks she might need, like all my knives. when a man's been inside, you do not fuck with his shit, much less his knife. my sister thinks i'm a mental invalid, because i let her walk all over me, but in the past i just haven't cared - i just want her to go away. now i'm fight back, and i set her up and deliberately shame her in front of my dad. at first, he threatens to throw me out, 'cause i'm acting like i belong in prison' but then i goad my sister into some utter lunacy and he shuts her down and almost kicks her out of the basement. her last bit was taking me tea mug, my only mug that i drink tea from 3x a day, upstairs. i went and got it and knocked her favorite mug and broke it and cleaned it up. oops. that night, CCC intevened and i nearly choked to death on a pickled guava. my dad saved me, just like i did the assistant dean. my sister said, to everyone, i hope he chokes and dies, i cut my foot on that mug he broke. my dad shut her down like an anvil fell on her, cause we just had that automatic instinctive bond, cause he just saved my life. thank you CCC, i almost FUCKING DIED, but thanks.

so i've been telling my dad, for a month, that i have to have a pet to be able to live like this. i can clean with him about being high for years, where he knew but ignored it. he says he's getting a new dog in a few months. his current dog has bilateral hip dysplasia and drag her back end around. she's a boxer, a guard dog and dumb as a stump, but now i take care of her and my dad, who forced me to murder my best friend, 'can't bear to put her down' which means shoot her, because he's not paying for a vet (and true, the dog is terrified of travel). i fix her nice foods (well, nice for dogs) and tell her, thank you for your service like you would a vet. i can't have an inside pet, because he doesn't like the smell, which is more important than me having a reason to live. i don't really like dogs, only real independent ones, and he hates cats. on several occassion he's referred me to the live trap and told me to trap a pet. when i was a kid, he kept all kinds of critters in cages, while they paced back and forth and yowled, and fed and watered them. later i started turning them loose, and that stopped. hell, i think he lost interest in me when i discovered the killing things part of hunting wasn't fun. fuck. but hey, my family never gave me anything but support for being gay, even being deep woods south. i think they expected from the start. go figure.

three days ago i made a mistake. i agreed to a hookup, the kind of anonymous sex gay guys get from the internet. i talked a few times on the net, getting a safe feeling, and went over. it was two guys, one older than me and real rugged hot, and his cute little cub with the tattoos. all right, yeah. me and the cub went to lay down a bit, and fooled around, and i was digging the warmth, plus he liked me being dominant and chewing on his shoulders and ears (hey, the realpeople and the *other* animals, i'm half man, half bonobo), and he started saying, it's okay, we made contact, there's a connection, it's okay now, and i started to freak a bit. what? and then the rugged guy came in, and started all the dominant stuff with me. now, i'm gay, i get fucked sometimes, but that's not the same as being dominated. i've let two guys do that in my life and both were casual, though long term, relationships. they just felt right - when 99.999% of males try to pat me on the head like a dawg, they'll draw back a bloody stump. but these two, they just smell like alpha to me, and i loved it. and here's this guys, putting the moves on, and my brain just pops into that mode and suddenly i'm asking permission to suck his dick. right. i have *both*, i'm sub and dom, at the same time. for a complicated fucker like me, it's smokin' hot. i'm nonplussed, at least. then my dad calls, and i make an excuse and go, and hell, we all got head. the next day we talk on the net a bit, and i'm a bit off, partly because my blood sugar is rollercoasting from cheap insulin - it was 30 at one point. next day, yesterday, they won't return my email, even though they open then, or any other contact. now, dammit, i can deal with this normally, but because of just having quit the dope, my emotions are raw and powerful, and this shit hurts like a bitch. i didn't ask for that, i just wanted to get laid. i didn't need to have something i never knew i needed dangled in front of me and yanked away. that was pissy, and really random, like CCC random, the same bitches that cut me off from my mojo so long ago. for me to write this, i have to believe in them, and though the rules say i'm in charge of my own coincidences, that shit was personal. and i went to my dad and made one last try, and he said if i got a ferret, he'd have me put in jail.

what the fuck is that shit? why do i have to alone? i can't maintain friendships while i'm using, cause i have to hide it and just don't need it, cause i'm high and without it i'm too much crazy for anyone to get near. and to be fair, i bring chaos and change with me everywhere i go. i'm a catalyst, even if i'm holding it back as best i can. but that shit that just happened was like a slap in the face from CCC, and i'm writing this in part for them, so fuck them. i'm taking an indefinite break and getting the fuck high. peace, y'all.

I hope you are saving all this to print out....this is amazing man and worth reading such a badass attitude

y'all, i quit, last one is the reason, for what its worth, may come back later. maybe. not very badass either.

Dont be so hard on yourself your writing is great....sometimes taking breaks are healthy defitnaly when you feel out of it......hope you get your spark back

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 35

worst comes to worst (play Dilated People's Worst Comes to Worst)

well, that didn't help. at all. fact: writing this helps me (my lyrics are like therapy, take care o'me, get shit off my chest), and there's still stuff to be told. lesson: i am social traumatized by my experiences and may have some difficulty reintegrating into society. while i was in prison, i knew this was happening, and my plan was to find some good folks when i get out and take MDMA together and heal that shit. apparently that's not going to happen, and i'm not sure what would happen if i did it myself. i have to fix my life, by myself, against some serious odds and despite my family. while i do this, i will have no friends or human contact at all, nor any animal companions. so be it. but seriously, what the fuck is that? i'm supposed to read some kind of meaning out of that? it's fucking old testament hateful.

does DXM make me act crazy? sometimes. there are two ways of using it - the neurochemical vehicle and daily dose. daily dose is based on what is called the DXM afterglow - several days after you come down, you just feel *well*. ketamine works this way when used as an antidepressant, you get one shot a week, then the after glow cures your depression. the point of daily dose isn' to hallucinate, it's to function, so you take as little as possible. the official maximum safe daily dose is 120mg, i like to take 75mg in the morning, then if there's an evening, another 75mg, and leave it at that. doing that got me into the phd program and through 3 years of gradschool. now since i did the process a month ago, i've been playing a bit loose with this, cause i like having my mojo, dammit, and also after the process, you are just very emotionally volatile, naturally, from having been numb before. most people definitely should NOT take dxm on a daily basis. living life with one foot in the spirit world is a delicate act. i usta think that it fixed my depression, but i don't actually get depressed, i get overwhelmed. my current theory is low latent inhibition, but i may just be flattering myself. lli occurs when people lack the ability to tune out background stimuli, instead treating all of equal importance all the time. before i could consider myself abnormal in this respect, i had to find out how little most people see. like, they don't read t-shirts. or bill boards. i was shocked - i read everything within range, compulsively. then i started reading some of the issues associated with lli. listening to every conversation in a room at once, not liking driving, seeing through lies, etc and it kinda fits. the brilliant genius shit fits, too, but i'm not gone list that. so if DXM is an anaesthetic that works by slowing shutting down sensory input, yes, it feels nice if you normally walk around like a raw nerve. without it, lots of info input, like several people talking to me at once, or several TVs/radios going, is very dysphoric and stressful and i avoid it when i can. when shit gets too intense and i go and lock myself in a dark, quiet room, i'm not depressed, i'm loving it in there, but i have to do it. DXM fixes that - how i can't say, but the end result is that i can hold down a normal life with a job, rent, and without it i can't. once i get into daily, i calm down. i'm still weird as fuck, but i don't scare people and i'm very, very useful to have around. i've been fucking around, and i got stung. if i'd been doin what i oughta, i wouldn't have been out doing sexual misconduct, which is part of the eightfold path. now, i'm not sure what that means for me, but going tricking i'm certain qualifies. phhh, if i'd been closer to the path, i could have owned that. but i still blame CCC, i know the rule about being in control of your own coincidences, but i still blame them. i'm bitter, i know ;-)

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 36

fighting ouroboros (play REM I Believe)

it's important to know your enemies, and consumer capitalism is that. by that term, i mean the form of capitalism that caters to the addictive instinct. selling junk, you know it when you see it. notice the process that is occuring. in the old ussr and the prc, communism became the ersatz religion. look at america's real holidays: Black Friday, Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving - all with their associated consumer orgies. this is the monster, people, listen to me - this shit is like mf Sauron. it is deep in sin and shallow in appeals and it has the world by the balls. i'm telling you right now, it is your job to stand up and spit in the eye of evil. once in the lab me and another nigga were discussing nicking shit from mal-wart and a postdoc overheard and asked why we do that. i thought about it and said, well, burning the mf to the ground would probably inconvenience my life too much, but you gotta do something. capitalism works better than socialism because people don't have the data or computing power to model societies, that doesn't mean you let the dawg of the leash. interpersonal altruism is why societies exist, it's always been the backbone. you don't have civilization because of laws and government, you have it because humans are programmed to act altruistically, on the whole. we rarely use these gatherings of will responsibly, but fundamentally, it's why they exist.

Last edited:
confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 36

intellectual property is an illusion

or, more correctly,a legal fiction. the idea was created by people and enforced by force and threat of force - america initially refused to recognize the rights of dickens, and made our own productions of his books, if that dates it for you. now you need to know about aaron swartz, the guy, kid, really, who was literally hounded to death by the usgov for making a copy of the JSTOR database. JSTOR, for those who don't do science, is one of the largest collections of scientific papers, ie, the sum of human knowledge. that's how science is done, that's how the knowledge is transmitted, in copyrighted journals like Nature and Science. now, this system is a miracle of shared information, but it has flaws and one of those is that it can cost up to $30 each to read those papers, unless you are associated with a university. the legal system used to be like this, with all the case records held in a database with very restricted access and a hateful interface, and still is, if you're a prisoner, but a bunch of hackivists raided it and put it online, so now private citizens can actually read case law, which was not previously true. aaron copied part of the cache of scientific knowledge, for which JSTOR declined to press charges. they even allow anyone to read most of their papers free now, though three at a time. but the usgov came down on him like an anvil in a cartoon. they crushed his life, tried to turn his family against him, etc until he committed suicide. the usgov is willing to martyr people about this. MIT, the university that gave him access, and to anyone who walks on campus and uses a computer, caved. i told y'all - sauron, the eye of mf evil. but sauron was defeated not by the heroes, but by the ordinary guy who just refused to give up. get the fuck out there.

This is probably my favorite post on BL, I've come across. Maybe the DXM Zine will be revived one day. This material would be perfect for it.

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 37

tell me about the forest (play Dead Can Dance, Tell Me about the Forest)

ordinary weird stuff - i think i have a cat. called him out of the woods last night while picking up garbage, he's black as sin. hmm. not that weird, huh? let me start at the beginning. some of my tomato plants are dying, turning yellow at the base of the leaves in a way that struck me as odd, so i looked it up. pesticide drift? well, possibly, my backyard faces a subdivision now. i let the plant be, see if it gets better then make plans to go out and clean up some trash people threw out, a lot of it cans. i walk down the road to where it is, and there's the neighbor, walking down the (dirt) road spraying stuff. i ask what he's doing, he replies, spraying poison oak. now, i lived here for the first 19 years of my life, a good part of it outdoors, and i've never had poison oak or ivy cause i know what it looks like and i don't fuckin' step on it. i tell him that my tomatoes are dying from pesticide drift, and he says, this is my first time spraying, and walks *into* the woods and keeps spraying. now one, if i get in his face, he can have me put in jail, no questions asked. two, there's a black cat looking at me from the edge of the road. hmm, i go back to my house and get some food and set it down. the cat watches me. i assume the (lotus) position and get ready to wait. the cat immediately stands and walks to me, not to the food, which he mostly ignores, but to rub on me. he eats a little, i move the food and try to call him. no dice. he will only come to me if i'm meditating - ie, deliberately not paying attention to him, then i'm irresistible. that's hysterical. i meditate/jedi mind trick the cat to my house and give him some left over tuna, which he ignores and saunters off, though today the tuna is gone.

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 38

pope (praises) Teilhard de Chardin (play the Orb, Fluffy Little Clouds)

there is a deep meaning to bumblebee baseball. yes, i'm going to go on about the bees again. carpenter bees will literally eat your wooden building down around you - there's sawdust falling like snow in my shed. they're worse than termites, and that means that the human race is going to wage war against the species. bumblebee baseball is an alternative: domestication. so long as people enjoy the activity, they have a reason to keep the bees around. my father tried to poison them, and it had no effect at all - i saw no dead bees, but after an hour of exercise, the ground is littered with them. if you actually want to control the numbers, you have to hit the females, but you must leave some. these insects would not have these nests and exist in such numbers if it weren't for humans, so we make a bargain with them. some of you can use our wood, and prosper, and we get to swat the excess. i believe in ahimsa, non-harming, to my core, but i'm also an ecologist, and this is managing the garden.

evolution isn't as most people see it, red in tooth and claw. there are layers upon layers of mutualism that make that tiger possible. the chloroplasts in plants and the mitochondria in our cells are mutualistic symbionts. flowering plants and their pollinators dominate the land, and corals and their symbiotic algaes take a bit part of the oceans. the last major group of symbionts is us: humans and our partner plants and animals. evolutionary biology recognizes another form of evolution outside of genetics, cultural evolution, part of dual inheritance theory. the neolithic age and the green revolution are about this technology. we are now going through a new phase of domestication, with such as the dozens of tropical fish species and hundreds of exotic house plants. there are also peridomesticates, like songbirds that raise an extra brood each year in urban areas, from feeders and urban heat runoff.

biotechnology is the feedback cycle between information, industrial and agricultural revolutions. cultural evolution and genetic evolution are linked. now, i'm not saying that this is going to go well for our current civilization, but it does herald a new phase of our evolution. thus teilhard de chardin, the jesuit palaeontologist with his ideas of evolution towards godhead. i've read that some of his ideas have been tested and shown to be false, but the tests where not all they could be, and in any case, it's the kind of thing we make true. we could domesticate every species (left) on the planet, make the world our garden. now, among ecologist, this is a touchy idea - many people want large areas of wilderness left alone, which i fully support, but the truth is that those ecosystem are already structured by human impacts and to be complete hands off is irresponsible.

this is the nutty part - if, somehow, we manage to manage our world, then it becomes (and i hate this word) our destiny to spread life to the dead worlds. by then, humanity *is* life on earth and we have the means to take that life elsewhere. we will grow cacti and lichens on mars, plankton in the seas of europa, who knows? living Zeppelins in the atmosphere of jupiter, all of which are children of earth. so, the man on mars thing - no. that's a publicity stunt and useless. send a dozen robots for half the cost, learn automaton and robotics. we lack the technology to build stable closed ecosystems - we can't even do it here, in the desert. we need a self-sufficient science colony here on earth, in oh, say, Antarctica, somewhere with geothermal heat and ore. we build the best station the world can build, geared toward self-sufficiency. send 500 highly trained people and thereafter they get one shipment of stuff a year, within limits and otherwise have only information contact.the colony is not allowed to hunt, fish or otherwise interact with the local ecosystem. hell, pay for it with reality television, people would be fascinated. that's the technology we need, and it would probably cost less than the man on mars nonsense.

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 39

i speak for the weasels
(play The Orb, Toxygene)

weasel is another of the heroes of the realpeople, like raven and coyote or river and rainbow. like all our guys, he's a trickster and some of his lessons are hardcore, or maybe the bastard just likes making a fool of other people and has a fucked up sense of humor. one story tells of his homecoming, after having travelled far and had many questionable adventures. he professed to have returned for love of his mother, and the old woman asked no questions, and was told no lies.

soon thereafter, he heard there was going to be a wedding, and bored out of his mind, he decided to go. recently in his wanderings about the area, he had 'found' a sack of particularly nice sweet potatoes, and thought to make masaman sweet potatoes to take to the wedding feast. so he brought them to his mother's house and left them in the kitchen, asking her to cook them for him. thus she did, but she made the mistake of tasting the final dish, wondering if it needed more spices...and she ate the whole thing. she was the mother of weasel, after all...but when weasel came back, he was pissed. his mother offered him a shiny new milk pot, to be a wedding gift, and he accepted. then he put on his best duds and headed to the wedding. on the way there, he came across a coupla kids milking a sheep into cracked plastic bottles. he said, tell y'all what, i'll let you use my new pot to milk the ewe, but y'all gotta give me a good long drink when you're done, cause it's fuckin hot and i forgot my water. the kids used the new milk pot, but the last one broke it. "dammit, y'all," exclaimed weasel, laying it on thick, "i needed that pot, it was a wedding gift - y'all gotta give me somethin for it." the kids offered him a very nice staff and he accepted. later he found a group of women, trying to break a thick piece of sugar cane. he offered to help, for a piece of cane, of course, and started chopping, but on the last stroke, his staff broke. once again he was outraged and demanded compensation. they offered him an axe, and he went off, why the fuck didn't you use the gd axe to begin with? they replied, we were going to, but then you came by and offered to use your staff. by now weasel is in fine form, wheeling and dealing as he loves, and he gets the axe and his piece of cane. he goes on til he finds a group of people trying to cut wood with an axe with a broken handle. naturally, he offers the use of the new one he is carrying, and they chop the wood, only on the last piece....the axe breaks. now weasel is fit to be tied, jumping around an cussin. so they offer him a huge bag of mangos, which he loves, and can use to make mango rice to take to the wedding, so he accepts. there, halfway to the wedding and atop a hill, he stops to lay down some rhymes about his day, cause he rolls like that. then he idles back down the hill and gives the mangoes to his mother, asking her to cook her famous mango rice. what happened to that mango rice, perhaps i will tell you on another occasion.

okay, y'all, i'm considering moving this project to an actual blog, rather than posting it here, on talkfreethought.org and the dextroverse. any thoughts on this? any venue that would be a better fit?

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 40

tragedy of the commons

the system of copyrights and IP laws used by the usgov still pretty much functions when it comes to entertainment. entertainment gets made, artists get paid. as i understand it, if you pay $20 for a hardcopy/CD, the artists gets about $1.25. that's pretty fucked up. the current set of copyright laws are an artifact of the technology of the age that produced them. before ebooks, it would be pretty hard to retypeset a book and sell your own version, plus you'd be easy to find. same for pressing your own cds. this never stopped people in the 3rd world from doing it, but the IP companies make no real money there, so they don't care.

now things are different, captain obvious. it was never possible to own information, the idea is obvious nonsense. you can hide it, but once you share it, you've lost control. people who make their living by IP scream 'piracy' but that is openly ludicrous - copying a file bears no resemblance, symbolic or otherwise, to raping and pillaging. when you label people criminals, bear in mind that they may choose 'revolutionary' instead. let me lay it out: when you put your information on the internet, it doesn't belong to you anymore. when you did it, you knew perfectly well that people were going to copy and distribute it without your permission, but you're hoping enough people will pay you for it to make some cash. that's great for you, bring it in. but when you don't receive the profits you've promised yourself, it doesn't mean someone else has robbed you. if you don't want your shit copied, encrypt it, keep it to yourself, what the fuck ever, but what's on the net belongs to the people. yes, that applies to this - it's not copyrighted, though you can assume the creative commons agreement, and you can copy it as many times as you want, put it where you want, as long as you don't claim you wrote it.

the practical problem as it stands is how to feed and cloth the artists you love when corporations are sucking dry 90% of what you send them. for some problems, there are no acceptable solutions. but bear in mind that the small company that's innovating needs the money more than a hollywood megacorp. for my money, hollywood can die the true death. after 'primer' was made for what, $7000 and change and rocked, why do we spend millions on this crap? do it on a computer at home. i want story, dammit.

the tragedy of the common refers to an economic theory and to grazing land in english villages. each village had a common grazing area, with enough land to feed all the cattle if everyone shared. but to the individual, it would seem better to overgraze, especially with sheep, which ruin the land, because the individual makes a better profit that way. it's mostly used to refer to the overfishing situation in the oceans.

confessions of a weirdness magnet, part 41

sapir-whorf goodies

the japanese language has many words that have no exact translation in english, and thus should be imported tout suite. words for aesthetics are one of the best sources. wabi-sabi is the base ideal of transience as beauty. impermanence, suffering and absence of self-nature are the three marks of being, and wabi-sabi is applied to art that shows the beauty of this, a sense of serene melancholy or spiritual longing. the objects or views are sparse, asymmetrical, modest and glorify the inherent beauty of nature.

on the sea at Omi,
plovers fly the waves at dusk
and with their cries
my mind is turned
to thoughts of long ago
-Hitomaro

mono-no-aware is a newer concept, 18th shogunate period, often translated as 'pathos'. it has to do with the pure sadness one feels at the passing of beauty, or the deeper awareness that comes from accepting this impermanence as the nature of all things. it is more poignant and intense than wabi-sabi, though the term was invent to describes poems from the same period.

the cry of a stag
is so loud in the empty mountains
that an echo answers him
as though it were a doe
-General Otomo No Yakamochi (718-785)

iki then means 'cool' or 'stylish' in a way that expresses these aesthetic ideals. fuck it, i'm going with wikipedia:
' Iki is an expression of simplicity, sophistication, spontaneity, and originality. It is ephemeral, romantic, straightforward, measured, audacious, smart, and unselfconscious. Iki is not overly refined, pretentious, complicated, showy, slick, coquettish, or, generally, cute. At the same time, iki may exhibit any of those traits in a smart, direct, and unabashed manner.'

tsu is a similar idea, but only refers to people - a situation can be 'iki'. both have to do with a non-academic and non-official kind of refinement. Tsu can be obsessive, like a person who lives steampunk, while iki never is. Tsu can be conferred by tips or advice, iki is innate or very hard to learn.

The heaven-sent benevolent medicine man reverend
Peddling deliverance that resemble amphetamines to
The residents in the meadow of pestilence
Who developed a chemical dependence on pessimism,
-Release, parts 1-3, Blackalicious

technically, yabo is the antonym of these terms, meaning loud, vulgar, childish, simple and superficial, but in modern times, one might think that kawaii is the true opposite of iki and tsu. it's japanese for 'cute' in that particularly toxic way that japanese consumer culture presents it. hello kitty is 'kawaii'. the final 'i' is drawn out (most japanese adjectives end in 'i'). kawaii can also be creepy - lolita, pronounced 'rorita' with the /r/ halfway to an /l/, comes from the lolita character in nabokov's little study in pedophilia. today the style refers to wearing victorian clothing that is very modest, while 'ama-loli' or 'sweet lolita' refers to women who dress as oversexed school girls, both are very kawaii.

okay, enough, but remember to thank brother mockingbird when you see him.