• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcoholism Discussion Thread Version 7.0

Tapering alcohol is extremely difficult for most people, but yes it can be done. That being said, the safest bet would be to get into a detox center or go to the ER and then deal with the social worker there. Seizures from alcohol withdrawal are very possible, I know this personally.

Hey im only 22 as well, not exactly "nice" to see you hah but good to see someone my age on here. I've had a hard time with drinking way to much too. Having withdrawals and physical effects at such a young age is really startling to me to

Really need to stop drinking. Have been copping nose bleeds daily the last week and a bit. First time it's been daily in a long long time.

I hadn't been drinking alcohol for 10 months, but on summer vacation I stopped taking Antabuse and relapsed... Of course I lost control immediately and was drinking 24+ beers a day and made a terrible mess in my new apartment. I kept drinking for 10 days and then quit. As a result, my immune system was apparently weakened by the alcohol and some kind of streptococcus bacterium entered my body and caused sepsis (blood poisoning).

The symptoms started 3 days after the last drink. First my thigh muscles got very sore and it was extremely painful to get out of bed and walk. When I tried to stay on my feet despite the pain, I could faint, fall on the floor and hit my head. This happened several times and I got bruises all over my body and broke my right clavicle. After a few days, the inflammation had spread to my liver and CNS, my skin started turning yellow and I was in a very confused state of mind and couldn't think clearly. Then I called an ambulance. The paramedics immediately noticed that I was in a very poor condition. They measured my body temperature and it was 39.5 deg C (103.1 deg F). I was taken to the hospital and a blood test was taken. The results soon came and they knew that a "group C beta-hemolytic streptococcus" was growing in my blood. Also, the levels of sodium and potassium in my blood were dangerously low and I was immediately given intravenous antibiotics and sodium and potassium chloride solutions.

I was in the hospital for two weeks and got iv antibiotics every 4 hours... I went through a series of examinations and and X-ray was taken of my right shoulder and they found the fracture in my clavicle. An X-ray was also taken of my teeth because I hadn't been to dentist for years and the doctors suspected the bacterium had entered my bloodstream through holes in my teeth. I also had to swallow some kind of black tube and my heart was imaged with ultrasound through my esophagus, but they found nothing abnormal from my heart.

I hadn't been eating anything at home when I was drinking or when I was sick and I had lost some weight. Of course I was hungry all the time and I ate huge amounts of hospital food. I was given benzos (diazepam, temazepam) every night to help me sleep, this was very different from detox where we were given diazepam for only 3 days and after that we only got sedative antihistamines.

I got out of hospital last monday and I still have sick leave from work until 25.8. I still have reactive arthritis in my fingers and my left wrist and elbow and my fingers are very clumsy making it difficult to write with a computer. The arthritis should heal in a few months.

I have been taking Antabuse again and have no craving for a drink. It isn't worth risking my life. If I hadn't gotten to hospital early enough, I could have ended up with permanent brain damage or something else nasty.

Best of luck polymath and congrats on the month. I was 130 when I quit using and am now 170 (working out and lifting alot plus eating correctly)... Its because I basically was just drinking and not eating (like one meal a day at best).

Thanks Phactor. :) I think I lost a lot of muscle mass from my legs during the sickness because I was basically unable to walk for two weeks. My legs still feel weak when I'm climbing stairs.

I'm going to see my addiction therapist in two hours. When I called her from the hospital and told I have a severe infection, she first thought I have started injecting myself (I never have). It's not common knowledge that alcoholism is a risk factor for infections and sepsis. http://internalmedicine.osu.edu/article.cfm?ID=2994

Just dumped out the remainder of alcohol in my house. I'm absolutely sick of it. It's ruining my mind and body, and I don't even get the slightest bit of euphoria out of it anymore. Gonna see how long I can go. Things are going alright but they could be a lot better.

Just dumped out the remainder of alcohol in my house. I'm absolutely sick of it. It's ruining my mind and body, and I don't even get the slightest bit of euphoria out of it anymore. Gonna see how long I can go. Things are going alright but they could be a lot better.

Good luck, but are you sure you are not physically dependent? Alcohol withdrawal must be taken seriously. I used to constantly try to taper off (I was actually pretty good) and had periods of long lengths when I would not drink "all that much" (still something like 4 beers every night at least) but I could never stay off.

Looking back on it, if I wasn't willing to go get detoxed professionally, it was a wasted effort. By some fucking miracle (one I still cannot explain) the last and final time I quit I did not get all that bad of withdrawal symptoms. I usually had completely awful WD effects from booze too, by far the most difficult I ever experienced and I used and abused it all.

Just to show that it is possible to stop drinking, 1 year, 3 months and 25 days no booze for me (or any other drugs). And I was a really really bad alcoholic (DTs, Seizures, shaking every day, the whole 9). Looking back on it, I became addicted to the stuff almost immediately. My parents let me drink in the house underage (within reason) and I think I started sneaking beers to my room like the second week they started letting me do it.

My family could tell when I was drinking alot just by how I was acting, I had a strong tolerance to alcohol so I wouldn't really act drunk, but I would constantly be running back and forth to my room and sneaking around. I really fucking sucked.

Good luck, but are you sure you are not physically dependent? Alcohol withdrawal must be taken seriously. I used to constantly try to taper off (I was actually pretty good) and had periods of long lengths when I would not drink "all that much" (still something like 4 beers every night at least) but I could never stay off.

Looking back on it, if I wasn't willing to go get detoxed professionally, it was a wasted effort. By some fucking miracle (one I still cannot explain) the last and final time I quit I did not get all that bad of withdrawal symptoms. I usually had completely awful WD effects from booze too, by far the most difficult I ever experienced and I used and abused it all.

Just to show that it is possible to stop drinking, 1 year, 3 months and 25 days no booze for me (or any other drugs). And I was a really really bad alcoholic (DTs, Seizures, shaking every day, the whole 9). Looking back on it, I became addicted to the stuff almost immediately. My parents let me drink in the house underage (within reason) and I think I started sneaking beers to my room like the second week they started letting me do it.

My family could tell when I was drinking alot just by how I was acting, I had a strong tolerance to alcohol so I wouldn't really act drunk, but I would constantly be running back and forth to my room and sneaking around. I really fucking sucked.

Man, I feel you. Sounds like you really struggled. Mad props for being sober that long, that's great. I'm really just a binge drinker, I go through a 24 pack or more every weekend. I know, it's not every day, but it still is ruining my body. I think there may be a physical withdrawal with it honestly. When I try to go longer than 5-6 days I start to feel incredibly uncomfortable and end up drinking. Shit, it happened this weekend. I get so bored and inevitably end up crushing beers. So I didn't keep my word...I wish I did. I'm terrified of being sober because I can't stand it. I hope soon I can finally get my shit together.

Man, I feel you. Sounds like you really struggled. Mad props for being sober that long, that's great. I'm really just a binge drinker, I go through a 24 pack or more every weekend. I know, it's not every day, but it still is ruining my body. I think there may be a physical withdrawal with it honestly. When I try to go longer than 5-6 days I start to feel incredibly uncomfortable and end up drinking. Shit, it happened this weekend. I get so bored and inevitably end up crushing beers. So I didn't keep my word...I wish I did. I'm terrified of being sober because I can't stand it. I hope soon I can finally get my shit together.

Sober isn't near as bad as it seems. I know from where you sit it must be scary as hell. I was a binge drinker like you but my weekend binge went from weekend to 3 times a week to every single night. 18+ beers a night. If I can quit I believe anyone can. I have the most addictive personality. Just know it can be done and yes, you are strong enough to do it. Stay away from the triggers and find a way to occupy your mind so time doesn't drag so slowly. I know everyone says beware the physical withdrawls but the mental aspect is what kicked my ass. You can do it. Woooosaaahhhh.

I wanted to add something here. My drinking venture lasted over a decade. After I finally totally quit I was amazed out how different I felt. How much better I felt everyday. Now I have had the same job for over 10 years and some other personal issues I had were resolved and went away. When I was drinking I had no idea how much of an effect it had on my life. To look back I'm still amazed I lived to tell someone else about it. I was always angry when drinking and made horrible choices in life. Choices that should have landed me in prison or dead.

Good luck to anyone that wants to stop drinking the poison, you can do it. You will be in control.

Last edited:
Sober isn't near as bad as it seems. I know from where you sit it must be scary as hell. I was a binge drinker like you but my weekend binge went from weekend to 3 times a week to every single night. 18+ beers a night. If I can quit I believe anyone can. I have the most addictive personality. Just know it can be done and yes, you are strong enough to do it. Stay away from the triggers and find a way to occupy your mind so time doesn't drag so slowly. I know everyone says beware the physical withdrawls but the mental aspect is what kicked my ass. You can do it. Woooosaaahhhh.

I wanted to add something here. My drinking venture lasted over a decade. After I finally totally quit I was amazed out how different I felt. How much better I felt everyday. Now I have had the same job for over 10 years and some other personal issues I had were resolved and went away. When I was drinking I had no idea how much of an effect it had on my life. To look back I'm still amazed I lived to tell someone else about it. I was always angry when drinking and made horrible choices in life. Choices that should have landed me in prison or dead.

Good luck to anyone that wants to stop drinking the poison, you can do it. You will be in control.

Thanks man I really appreciate that. I'm glad to hear you're sober now, it is indeed poison. I hear you on the bad choices too. Some of the worst decisions, actually THE worst decisions I've made have been directly caused by alcohol and i'm still dealing with the repercussions years later. Really a shame that it's even legal and advertised right alongside every other household product.

Very good read this thread. Hi guys I think I'm going to start posting here, more to try and keep track of my own alcohol intake than anything. For the last month since I've been on Seroquel 50mg per evening I've only done one all night session on booze/drugs where I didn't sleep and took much. However for the past month I've noticed my drinking has become more frequent. I'd say I'm drinking 6-12 500ml bottles of beer per session, at home drinking, 3 times a week, if I have cocaine in my possession it's been as many as 5 days a week. 3 would be the average.

Only drank spirits once in the last month this past weekend after a rave on mdma pills and cocaine. So I guess this is an improvement with regards to the spirits.

What concerns me most is that due to the depressed stage I went through/am coming out of I began drinking at home more and more, and less drugs, all I've used for months really for any session is alcohol and cocaine. I even stopped benzos. I'm probably using cocaine twice a week just now down from maybe 3-5 days a week a month ago. However I'm drinking 3-4 evenings a week, not alot at once but I can feel the mental addiction/psychological want of alcohol. I used to be a regular pub drinker but I grew out of swandering so much money 3 days a week.

I know I've definitely got better but it's just worrying me my current increase in regularity not units. Another annoying thing is I believe regular alcohol drinking of more than a few units hinders any progress in fitness. Anyone find this?

7 weeks without alcohol or any other substances... Probably the longest totally sober period I've had in over ten years. I've gone to a Zen buddhist meditation group a couple of times, as I think I need something spiritual in my life to help me stay sober. The Zen teacher of our group is a former professor of clinical psychology and she used to be an alcoholic too when she was young, which probably makes this a suitable group for me.

Last edited:
That is a long break man, fair dues to you! I'd been off benzos and all stims bar cocaine for 11 weeks until the weekend which is a near record for me. But had still been using alcohol and cocaine regularly, and some cannabis. This is the first night I've drank this week just a couple watching the game but I'm going to aim to stay under 20 units this week hopefully no more than a 12 pack of buds is my goal. I think to mastering this I must master moderation first. Then next month I will aim for a dry month with no stimulants either until Halloween.

Checking in because it's only appropriate. I never really used to be into alcohol, but rather other drugs of all kinds. I have an extensive family history of both alcohol and other drug problems. So as if it were predetermined I wound up with a bear of heroin habit, and the onto suboxone for nearly 3 years. Tapered down, and as anyone who's familiar with it will know well, the last few mgs are the hardest. I jumped from 0.5mg to nothing, and from then, to sleep, it was something like 2mg ativan, 100mg vistaril, and a fifth of hard liqour just to get to sleep at night. I got accustomed to that, and then, sure enough, on to being pretty strung out on alcohol. Usually it's about a "pint" of hard liquor q.h.s. every night sometimes as much as a fifth or more, in the upper ranges i really feel it the next morning but otherwise it's just about maintaining a baseline. If I have a large amount available, i.e. a "handle" (1.75 L), I wind up in real trouble because without really knowing it I'll readily drink until I pass out which is about a liter or a little more, so I try to buy it in smaller increments. ALso I try to make it a point not to drink on the job but sometimes, especially when I was on a real tear the night before, I need a few nips during the day, but nothing enough to impair me, really again it's about a baseline. On my days off I day drink pretty much as soon as I coherently wake up. After an especially riproaring night, I get tremors. I sleep fitfully without booze and that's with klonipin and ambien already in the picture. I've tried to taper off alcohol to the point where it's only a few beers a night but always I wind up back up around 300-500mL of hard liquor a night. This isn't good for my liver or my all around physicality, I know, it's enough to effect my lab work. Physically honestly I feel more shit than when I was doing heroin daily. It's a hard thing especially since booze is so socially acceptable and ubiquitous, even if I feel embarrassed going to the liquor store buying copious amounts of booze so often. So yeah, I'm a clinical goddamn alcoholic, I don't really know what to do about it ... I haven't been without some kind of drug habit for damn near 20 years. I'm not posting here really looking for advice, I mean, I know all the options. AA isn't really my thing, not because of the religion part, I am actually a religious guy more than people would think, but it's the powerlessness thing, I don't think I'm powerless, I think I'm making bad decisions, even if that makes me an asshole, and probably haven't had enough bad consequences to convince myself that those decisions are bad and that I'm an asshole. It's hard to say. Maybe I was better off on heroin, or more likely, bupe, I know for sure I was more functional. I'm actually considering going back on the latter. I dunno. But yeah, I have a problem, and if you want to go with the twelve, I guess saying that's the first. I wanna check in on this thread regardless because I recognize that where I'm at is not sustainable and where I'm going is a very dark place. So hello and God bless to all of you who are going through or have gone through similar.

Last edited:
Just cracked a tallboy. Havent drank in quite awhile. I hate alcohol, yet I love it. I can stay away, aslong as I'm on other drugs. But once I quit everything but weed(love it, but its never enough)I find myself buying some beer. I have to hide it from my fiance(whom Ive been with for 6 years) as she lost tolerance for me drinking long ago. Been fighting the cravings for awhile, but now I gave in. Stupid yeah, but the buzz feels so good. Being an addict/alcy sucks!!!!!

Go on baclofen, works miracles, even at low doses, if you are from the states I am not sure if it's prescription free.