• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can an ex-addict donate blood? Short story of my personal hell the past several years

Bomb319

Bluelighter
NOT because of suspected diseases such as HIV and Hepatitis - I'm not even sure if you're ALLOWED to donate blood after something like that, even if your blood has been extensively tested and you are found to be negative (like I was). I was actually thinking of it more along the lines of potentially triggering that needle-fever again. I realize that it's a completely different context, of course. I'm just really scared that if I do go through with it and am allowed, the acts of venous penetration, flagging etc. may remind me on an unconscious (or even conscious) association with my past experiences getting blitzed.

Not having ever used needles since, it's a fairly valid concern, I think...I'm even worried that I could get high while it happens. The human mind is exceedingly powerful, and after years of ceasing IV use and having essentially the same thing done to me after having spent so much time to stop, I can easily imagine some sort of placebo effect occurring there. I always like helping people - don't get me wrong. If I back out, I do NOT want it to be for the wrong reasons. I used to donate all the time until my doctor began prescribing me combos of Oxy (Percocet 2-4 as needed), Dilaudid (20 pills, 4 mg as needed with Percocet. This was NOT prescribed every single month as the Percs were, however) and Valium (10 mg twice daily) - always 100 Percs every month (but on two occasions it was 300) - all this for severe migraines which are highly resistant to other treatments I have tried such as triptans and beta-blockers. After 2-3 years of this prescription, I obviously became highly dependent on it, and kept going to him for refills earlier and earlier.

And so one day, he bluntly and rudely said : "I think you have a problem - go get help". And with that, instantly cut off ALL of my meds. He even went so far as to call my fucking pharmacy right after I left his office, and proceed to cancel all my remaining pills and refills". Even though he knew damn well that I would be sick, he refused to give me Clonidine, even though I basically crawled back to his office 3 days later in such misery, desperate for something to help me. I had never even considered buying off the street until this point. I became such a mess, and learned I COULD purchase on the street shortly after. Long story short, a couple years of this and I completely destroyed my prospective degree in pharmaceutical sciences (I had made it in having had to make several trips of 300 miles for the interview process, and scored in the 89th percentile on the admissions test and higher on the interview. I also now owe literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. That debt got so high because I was in school in Vancouver at the time (Pharmacy) and so had access to a ton of money in student loans. I became so damn sick mentally and physically, lost all my friends (literally all after enough time), my relationship with family, especially my dad went down the drain and all the usual things that can happen to an IV addict. I trues to get on methadone countless times - even dragging my body to the clinic while puking. But I live in Canada and the wait time in Van was over 6 months, plus the clinic physician told me it would cost $600 per month, 300 for the drug and 300 for the witnesses! I couldn't.

Worst of all, I never even cared for drugs at all before this. I had my first opiate at the age of 24, when my doctor began my opiate/benzo cocktail prescriptions. I really suffered BADLY from age 24-30 or so, and had the most serious and crushing problems after IVing from about age 26-30. I've been so low and suicidal many times because of all I had lost and my incredible debt. The only way I can feel better is if I channel that emotion and instead use it to help others, which brings me back to my desire to donate blood. Does anybody know if they usually will accept former addicts as long as they are currently fully clean, or is it a "banned for life" type of scenario? I could never hurt my mom and dad so badly by killing myself, but sometimes it's hard to see the point of going on. I think I'm STILL having a hard time coming to terms with everything I've lost. ALL my friends (including 2 BEST friends), hundreds of thousands of dollars along with my Pharmacy degree and career prospects...it's just unbelievably depressing. However giving blood and otherwise helping the community would go a long was toward helping me. I really hope I'm allowed to do it.

Any advice is very much appreciated - thanks a lot, guys :)

Not sure what country you're in, but in many countries (inc Australia) you're not allowed to donate at all if you've ever injected drugs. Even if you've come up clear for blood borne viruses.

Sorry. :-/

Contact the Red Cross if you're in USA, or visit their website for rules. It's wonderful you want to donate blood, but not sure if you'll be allowed because even if you're clean of any BBD's, if they find out you're a former IV user, it's going to apply to waiting period/tattoos/other..they have no way to know if you're telling the truth on last usage. I can't donate blood because my Hcrit count is always low.

I read a story about a girl who got out of rehab, went to get a physical because she had Hep C, the needle triggered cravings, which prompted her to use and OD.

Hopefully, some IV'ers can advise better on the needle issue.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada as I mentioned in my OP. I haven't used a needle of any sort since last fall - about 8 months or so. I was tested for HIV and Hep C just over a year ago, but since then I had a dude with Hep C stay in my apartment for a couple of weeks. It was a NIGHTMARE. He was so fucking disrespectful when it came to cleanliness. He literally splattered blood all over my apartment, including all over the walls, flood, sink and even on clean dishes. He kept "apologizing" but would then keep doing it, passing out etc. He's also one of the most stubborn people I've ever met. He literally and truly spend hours at a time trying to hit even ONCE, licking the needle covered in dirt, just jamming it in with terrible and unsanitary technique. I kept offering to help him, do it for him or even just describe to him how to do it properly, but it was worse than talking to a brick wall.

In spite of all that though, he was VERY generous and appreciative, at times even sneaking extra goodies away from his much more selfish girlfriend to give to me. They both stayed over and were crack/heroin dealers, so they often had crazy sketchy gangbangers over; serious legit ones at the top of their game - not wannabe young thugs who think they're all that and impressive because they have an ounce of weed on them. These guys had and brought MANY ounces of crack and heroin, and cut, bagged and distributed in my apartment. It got way beyond my control and very nearly got me arrested and evicted. The two I had stay did try to respect my wishes as much as possible, and to be fair I DID drive them crazy with my constant paranoia of the landlord seeing them and flipping out and she often did/does. They stayed inside and only left when I asked them to, and as I said gave me 2 quarters of less-cut (still fairly dilute) H per day, and several hoots of crack basically whenever, as I said before. It got unbelievably stressful though since he was a burnout, passing out constantly and shooting blood everywhere, while she was more aggressive, selfish and has the classic emaciated cracked-out look that got me busted in the first place - not to mention the constant stream of "friends" coming in and out at all hours. Then I often had to lend out my only key, and had to leave for work knowing this was going on in my apartment, although I always asked them to lie low during those times.

Fuck, just thinking about that part of my life makes me shiver and makes me sooooo glad I'm fully clean now and very stable on MMT.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada as I mentioned in my OP. I haven't used a needle of any sort since last fall - about 8 months or so. I was tested for HIV and Hep C just over a year ago, but since then I had a dude with Hep C stay in my apartment for a couple of weeks. It was a NIGHTMARE. He was so fucking disrespectful when it came to cleanliness. He literally splattered blood all over my apartment, including all over the walls, flood, sink and even on clean dishes. He kept "apologizing" but would then keep doing it, passing out etc. He's also one of the most stubborn people I've ever met. He literally and truly spend hours at a time trying to his even ONCE, licking the needle covered in dirt, just jamming it in with terrible and unsanitary technique. I kept offering to help him, do it for him or even just describe to him how to do it properly, but it was worse than talking to a brick wall.

In spite of all that though, he was VERY generous and appreciative, at times even sneaking extra goodies away from his much more selfish girlfriend to give to me. They both stayed over and were crack/heroin dealers, so they often had crazy sketchy gangbangers over; serious legit ones at the top of their game - not wannabe young thugs who think they're all that and impressive because they have an ounce of weed on them. These guys had and brought MANY ounces of crack and heroin, and cut, bagged and distributed in my apartment. It got way beyond my control and very nearly got me arrested and evicted. The two I had stay did try to respect my wishes as much as possible, and to be fair I DID drive them crazy with my constant paranoia of the landlord seeing them and flipping out and she often did/does. They stayed inside and only left when I asked them to, and as I said gave me 2 quarters of less-cut (still fairly dilute) H per day, and several hoots of crack basically whenever, as I said before. It got unbelievably stressful though since he was a burnout, passing out constantly and shooting blood everywhere, while she was more aggressive, selfish and has the classic emaciated cracked-out look that got me busted in the first place - not to mention the constant stream of "friends" coming in and out at all hours. Then I often had to lend out my only key, and had to leave for work knowing this was going on in my apartment, although I always asked them to lie low during those times.

Fuck, just thinking about that part of my life makes me shover and makes me sooooo glad I'm fully clean now and very stable on MMT.

Errr, I'm sorry - I guess I forgot my point in the midst of all that venting lol

What I meant to say is that despite being clean for 8 months or so, I did have Mr. Hep C over, sharing his blood with all who came too close. I tried my best to stay clean and avoid it/him, and almost certainly didn't use any of his needles (although even THAT I can't be 100% sure, because there was one or two times where I took one out of a disposal bin that I later found out we had both used. Although his tended to be totally fucked up and caked with blood because of the trouble he had hitting, so I'm nearly certain I used my own - plus I always washed them out with hot water first no matter what and even if they were mine. It also would have sit out for at least a day or two before being reused - Hep C can't stay viable for that long outside a host, can it?

Anyway, all my scars have now either healed to the point of turning white and hard to notice or else gone entirely. Assuming I AM still clean from Hep C and HIV, I could probably donate blood if allowed, but I don't know Canadian law on this issue. I also question how somebody taking 220 mg of methadone daily is able to donate blood, either. Wouldn't the blood be full of the drug, or is it still nowhere near enough to cause any problems for the recipient?

dude if ur clean and dont have hep c or any BBD then dont fucking tell me u use to inject... there is no way of knowing.