• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

my opinion on benzodiazepines and barbiturates

opiateman23

Bluelighter
Well. I have 140 butabital tabs with codeine. I also have tuinals and let me tell you.... I wish I could slap the moron who advocated benzodiazepines be promoted over barbs. Now I will say the hangover from barbs are terrible. But, I actually function on barbs they are a magic drug for my anxiety and help my mood. Barbs rock. If you want benzodiazepines with euphoria get barbs. Amazing. Butabital is not that great but still better than phenobarbital.

I have never had the pleasure of trying barbs, but I think benzos can be a magical drug for anxiety/panic disorder, that is, if they are not abused. Once you start trying to catch a buzz on them, they become evil little fuckers lol, and lose their theraputic affect. Not to mention the horrible withdrawals I've heard so much about. All in moderation,

Yeah see... I could never feel good on them. I have an old psychiatrist who loves scripts for barbituates. The tuinals are awesome. Barbs make you feel good. I can say that barbs can easily od a junkie quick. But, I have had reds, tuinals, phenobarbital and butabital. Honestly no benzodiazepine ever came close to those except halcyon.

It sounds like I would enjoy them wayyy too much, which would definitely be problematic hahaa I don't feel high on my prescribed benzo (clonazepam), and it does not completely rid me of panic attacks, but brings me to a level that enables me to better cope with them. I think I like benzos, because I don't find them recreational (if that makes sense?lol). Keeps me from abusing them and becoming dependent. I definitely would like to try barbs though!

Barbs are hard to get. Well, the real good ones are. Butabital and phenobarbital are not hard to get. I like butabital over phenobarbital. Feigning migraines works to get them. Fiornal are the ones you need.

I wish I could slap the moron who advocated benzodiazepines be promoted over barbs. Now I will say the hangover from barbs are terrible.
I will also add my memory is more screwed on barbs than say xannies or valium

To conclude: Worse Hangover and amnesia. Additionally Barbs are much more dangerous in terms of ODs and lethal combos.
So I don't undertand why you would like to slap the moron :D Just because you prefer the recreational effects from them more despite Benzos being the better alternative?
Pretty egoistical if you ask me...

Benzodiazepines are just much more safer in short term medical use, so that is a far superior reason to promote them over Barbiturates.

The euphoria from short acting barbs is considered on par with the euphoria given by opioids, however benzos have next to no euphoria (except maybe temazepam). So here we have two classes of drugs that are both extremly effective for anxiety, yet benzos have:
• Much less risk of addiction due to low/ non existent euphoria.
• A vastly safer therapeutic index, so much less risk of overdose.
• They are a lot eaiser on your body (hence lack of a hangover).

Drugs used in the medical field aren't meant to be taken for recreation, so it makes much more sense to use a safer, less abusable drug for the same purpose. They wouldn't say, "Here we have two drugs that are both effective for anxiety, yet one gives you extreme euphoria so it'll be exceptionally easy to abuse and get addicted to. Let's go with that one!"

Well. I have 140 butabital tabs with codeine. I also have tuinals and let me tell you.... I wish I could slap the moron who advocated benzodiazepines be promoted over barbs. Now I will say the hangover from barbs are terrible. But, I actually function on barbs they are a magic drug for my anxiety and help my mood. Barbs rock. If you want benzodiazepines with euphoria get barbs. Amazing. Butabital is not that great but still better than phenobarbital.

I agree.. doctors pay a lot more attention when prescribing potentially nasty barbiturates. Benzos they treat like candy and don't read any literature about how awful they are. I'm biased, but I think the whole group can get tossed out with the exception of lorazepam, diazepam and midazolam for inpatient shit. I had a doctor tell me that clonazepam was self-tapering and I should just stop taking it after 12 years. He had dual doctorates in organic chem and neuropsychopharmacology and he didn't even know dick about it.

I'm done whining.

Seconal ?

Any good? Can get it here. Wonder if it worth gettin'.

I think a friend of mine took some of that in the 60s when they were called reds since his mom had it; but he said there's a fine line between taking enough that you feel good, and that you pass out, black out, and fall asleep. I will have to ask him.

He did not mix it with any other drugs. Smoking pot on them would be fine. You probably know this but don't combine a downer with alcohol, or a benzo, or opiate as a lot of people have died this way.

Benzodiazepines are the safer choice with respect to overdose/forgetting that you already dosed when you wake up after nodding out, then re-dosing again and again, a la Marilyn Monroe or Judy Garland. That said, I do agree that barbs are certainly effective in doing their job. Prepare to be tranquilized.

What I would give to just TRY one of the all star barbs. I have tried the available ones(butalbital and phenobarbital), but the heavy hitters people say were like the perfect mix between benzo and opiate high.

My late grandfather (R.I.P.) was a doctor and a couple years before he died I was looking around in his bathroom and found a REALLY old container full of all sorts of bottles of different meds.

One of them was Seconal and I opened it up and sure enough all of the pills were bright red just as advertised under the slang term "Reds".

I contemplated taking on but out of fear I didn't, mostly because at that time I was on daily Klonopin and knew the two interacted badly so I was probably smart in avoiding them.

But now I only take Klonopin as needed so if I ever found that bottle again I guess I could probably take one if I hadn't taken Klonopin but I think I'd still be a bit cautious about doing so not knowing what might happen.

My grandmother is still alive and I bet you that somewhere in her house she still has that old container with a bottle of Seconal in it as she never throws anything away.

I'd like to at least see if I can FIND it and maybe just snatch one or two even if I don't take them, just as collector's items haha.

God only knows how old those fucking pills must be.

My grandparents always keep SO much REALLY old shit from 30, 40, 50 or more years ago.

I am seriously guessing that that bottle of Seconal is probably from the 60's or 70s'.

Would a bottle of Seconal that is possibly 30--50 years old even be effective anymore or would they have gone bad by now??

They were in a decent container.

Just interesting finding such an old relic...kind of felt like as if I'd been at a used record store and found an obscure gem of a record from the 60s among a pile of new ones.

wow, I admire your will... I would have taken at the very least half of the bottle if not the whole thing. I mean if those things had been sitting around that long... they may have forgot they were even there. lol.

At least the old me would have. I have changed a lot since getting clean.

Go ahead and take em, chemicals take a LONG time to deteriorate if stored under decent conditions.

The difference is night-and-day for me. Granted, I've only tried butalbital, but it's not even on the same planet as benzos. Here's how I'd sum up the effects:

Benzos: "Shallow" feeling of relaxation and anxiety relief followed by rebound anxiety and depression for days. Feels like my brain is being damaged with each dose. Stupefying effects on cognition and memory. Reduced inhibitions & temporary anxiety relief.

Barbiturates: Whole body calm and muscle relaxation. No next-day depression or anxiety. Sort of like alcohol without the rage or unpredictability. Not as satisfying as opiates but far better than toxic benzos. Not as sedating as benzos (possibly due to the caffeine in Fioricet). Happy "melty" feeling in my body while my head feels like a balloon floating away. Great social lubricant.

It appears we were born in the wrong era...the shitty benzo era :\

The difference is night-and-day for me. Granted, I've only tried butalbital, but it's not even on the same planet as benzos. Here's how I'd sum up the effects:

Benzos: "Shallow" feeling of relaxation and anxiety relief followed by rebound anxiety and depression for days. Feels like my brain is being damaged with each dose. Stupefying effects on cognition and memory. Reduced inhibitions & temporary anxiety relief.

Barbiturates: Whole body calm and muscle relaxation. No next-day depression or anxiety. Sort of like alcohol without the rage or unpredictability. Not as satisfying as opiates but far better than toxic benzos. Not as sedating as benzos (possibly due to the caffeine in Fioricet). Happy "melty" feeling in my body while my head feels like a balloon floating away. Great social lubricant.

It appears we were born in the wrong era...the shitty benzo era :\

you say that now, but the current medical field is moving in the direction where in our lifetimes we will see as many benzos written as barbs. And that is NOT going to be a pretty day. Because if they ever take away my valium odds are I will go back to booze. And I even take my medication responsibly which is the fucked up part, and it helps SO well. I give two fucks if it is trading one addiction fro another. This one didn't wreck my life, and since it is RX it is RX if I ever try to abuse I run out early, no chance of getting more. And my VA doctor HATES writing benzos. He only writes these because of my insanely fucked up situation.

Not my hope at all. Benzos definitely have their place, but they can have hideous effects on the mind and body when taken frequently for long periods. I'd like to see more doctors brush up on their knowledge of benzos - not just the addiction potential and dangerous withdrawals but all the problems in between: The rebound anxiety. The cognitive effects. The immunological problems. If they still think benzos are the best option, prescribe away.

As it stands, benzos are Schedule IV and dispensed like candy. Their scheduling isn't reflective of their health risks IMO. (They've been linked to both cancer and dementia). But benzos definitely should be available to those who need them. Hope you never have to go back to booze!

Last edited: