• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Should adderall be prescribed for not ADHD people?

oxymoronoxygen

Greenlighter
So this is basically an opinion question because I'm curious about about what others think. Basically my last psychologist prescribed be adderall, 10 mg xr because I had chronic fatigue as a side effect of major depressive disorder. He did this even though I clearly was not ADHD. However, I took it and became very awake and sociable and productive. Because of this my depression seemed to dwindle a lot, and people could clearly tell. This want on for one and a half years. Now I'm moving and changing my psychologist and she says she wants to take me off adderall since I'm not ADHD. She said that we should cure my depression not just hide it. What's your opinion of this? Even though I'm not ADHD, adderall is drastically changing my quality of life and making me a happier person. Why fix something that isn't broke?

Cuz adderall is damaging to the mind and body. You cannot expect to live your life on pills. It's not natural.

IMO ADHD as a disease doesn't exist. Everyone imo experiences ADHD, anxiety and depression every day. Whether yours is worse than someone else is entirely subjective cuz some people don't deal with their problems as easily as others.

To continue to treat these natural emotions as disorders is IMO making these "disorders" manifest into the patient because of the side effects from the drugs.
Chances are your psych would taper you and possibly throw you on an antidepressant to cure your depression. And IMO this will not cure anything but rather but a band-aid on it just like your adderall is doing.

If I were you I'd be looking for natural ways to deal with your emotions and don't use any pills as crutches cuz you'd likely end up addicted and withdrawn when it's time to come off. Cuz you don't plan to live on pills forever now, do you?

I personally suffered from depression when I was 13-17 and had no idea what caused it. Then my drug use caused anxiety. And everyday at work I can't seem to focus on anything uninteresting. But I'll never take pills for it. I bet if you find something you're interested in then you'd have no attention problems.

If and when a doctor prescribes me Stims/Benzos I personally would use it for fun as I do not believe in the therapeutic use of most medication to treat these "natural emotions".

Some people would come on here and deny everything I said cuz they have this and that and it's real and bla but I believe everything like that are all ideas that got the better of your situation. Some people rather soak in their depression than do anything about it and take pills cuz it's easier than pursuing happiness.

What these people must realize is that being happy isn't fucking automatic. You create your own happiness. So look for things you enjoy in life and indulge in them more. Or you can continue to let your mind defeat you and get on another pharm drug and deal with the side-effects, your choice.

S/he's taking it for chronic fatigue, dude. Not as an antidepressant--calm down. You can't change a sleep disorder by simply changing your mind set--it's a physical disorder, not mental.

Anyway, yes, I believe it should. I am on adderall for idiopathic hypersomnia, caused by my autoimmune disease. It has helped my quality of life so much being able to actually be awake and witness it. If you had sleep studies done, then I'd recommend you do that. Or see about getting tested, they do both an overnight and daytime test to see how your body acts at different times. I know how hard it is to find a doctor who is willing to help, my first few psychiatrists brushed it off and told me to have a set sleep schedule (I did) or to just sleep less (no shit, haha). ENTs can authorize a sleep test if your psychiatrist is unwilling. Good luck!

S/he's taking it for chronic fatigue, dude. Not as an antidepressant--calm down. You can't change a sleep disorder by simply changing your mind set--it's a physical disorder, not mental.

OP said the fatigue is a side-effect from a major depressive disorder.

OP's psych wants to treat the depression.

Was simply expressing my opinion as the OP stated it is an opinion type question.

Not gonna argue bout yer beliefs. Last time that got too heated and was rather pointless.

I just think as adderall as meth, I've abused both meth and adderall over the years and see no major difference(besides method). I cant believe doctors prescribe it, ADD, ADHD, or not... its all BS anyway.

Adderall is pretty amazing. I am prescribed it myself. At the end of the day I don't have a guilt trip, or feel guilty about taking it, but it is no longer the study aid it used to be for me, It has become a crutch to just pass the day. The last time I tried stopping cold turkey which was like 4 or 5 days ago, I literally stayed in bed for like 3 hours until I actually got up to do stuff.

10mg Adderall is not really a big deal, It's quite a small daily dose. But hey, I'm no doctor. But I would be fooling myself to beleive that this medication is not "burning" me out.

Whatever works for you is good, there's nothing wrong with sharing your beliefs. I'm not disparaging what you believe, since that's why we are all here--sharing our experience.

I'm going to side with your shrink on this one.

Adderall and most stimulants for that matter are a temporary fix, not a cure. Eventually the amphetamine will fail to work the way it initially did thus leading to an increase in dose & accompanying side effects until the point where it is ineffective and will cause paradoxical effects like asocial behavior, anxiety, paranoia, scattered thoughts, etc. At that point it becomes a catch-22 where you can't stop taking it due to rebound depression yet taking it results in bad side effects. Use the Adderall as a tool for it is nothing more than that.

There is no such thing as a cure for major depression. Even with mild depression - which is supposed to be treated with short-term medication and talk therapy - the aim is to relieve symptoms while you learn coping strategies, not make the depression go away. Most people with major depression who seek treatment will be taking medication for a substantial portion of their life, if not forever. This is totally normal and OK.

I don't really have an opinion on use of Adderal for major depression, but stimulants are definitely prescribed for non-ADHD conditions (off-label). I know a couple of people who are on Ritalin for chronic fatigue syndrome.

I'm going to side with your shrink on this one.

Adderall and most stimulants for that matter are a temporary fix, not a cure. Eventually the amphetamine will fail to work the way it initially did thus leading to an increase in dose & accompanying side effects until the point where it is ineffective and will cause paradoxical effects like asocial behavior, anxiety, paranoia, scattered thoughts, etc. At that point it becomes a catch-22 where you can't stop taking it due to rebound depression yet taking it results in bad side effects. Use the Adderall as a tool for it is nothing more than that.

Couldn't have said it better.

Most people with major depression who seek treatment will be taking medication for a substantial portion of their life, if not forever. This is totally normal and OK.

I'm sorry but I don't know how you can say that's "normal" and ok" providing all the side effects these meds bring.

I'm sorry but I don't know how you can say that's "normal" and ok" providing all the side effects these meds bring.

Not all medications cause side effects in all people. And whether they experience side effects or not, many people with major depression consider them a pretty minor trade off for not being in constant misery and/or getting to stay alive.

There is no shame in needing to take medication to treat a serious chronic illness. People don't talk about any other medication for any other condition the way we talk about psychiatric medications, including antidepressants.

Not all medications cause side effects in all people. And whether they experience side effects or not, many people with major depression consider them a pretty minor trade off for not being in constant misery and/or getting to stay alive.

There is no shame in needing to take medication to treat a serious chronic illness. People don't talk about any other medication for any other condition the way we talk about psychiatric medications, including antidepressants.

I agree. I know a cousin of mine who takes more than 30mg of Ritalin a day, and has lost like 40 pounds and has had amazing grades in school. and he has been taking that slow release Ritalin stuff for like four years. The point of ADHD stimulant medication is to make people that are bouncing off the walls calm and focused.

These people that have a year worth of college chemistry and wikipedia knowledge think they know more than a Psychiatrist. It's laughable really. You can talk about all this "Pharmaceutical industry making tons of money, and psychiatrist are paid to push this stuff!!!" But the truth is, things like genric Xanax and generic Ritalin are dirt fucking cheap. The psychiatrist makes more commision pushing Lexapro and new AntiPsychotics, a like latuda.

I agree. I know a cousin of mine who takes more than 30mg of Ritalin a day, and has lost like 40 pounds and has had amazing grades in school. and he has been taking that slow release Ritalin stuff for like four years. The point of ADHD stimulant medication is to make people that are bouncing off the walls calm and focused.

These people that have a year worth of college chemistry and wikipedia knowledge think they know more than a Psychiatrist. It's laughable really. You can talk about all this "Pharmaceutical industry making tons of money, and psychiatrist are paid to push this stuff!!!" But the truth is, things like genric Xanax and generic Ritalin are dirt fucking cheap. The psychiatrist makes more commision pushing Lexapro and new AntiPsychotics, a like latuda.

Do psychiatrists actually make commissions in the US, or is that an urban legend? They don't make commissions on anything in Australia and they still prescribe medication.

In the US a recent documentary revealed that there are all-expense paid vacations and cash-incentives aka kick-backs for shrinks that 'hit their numbers', sales-wise for a particular product or pharma company. There will also be golf-outings and fancy meals provided by reps to shrinks that push a lot of pills, so yes, you could call it 'commission' - I prefer the term 'bribery'.

In the US a recent documentary revealed that there are all-expense paid vacations and cash-incentives aka kick-backs for shrinks that 'hit their numbers', sales-wise for a particular product or pharma company. There will also be golf-outings and fancy meals provided by reps to shrinks that push a lot of pills, so yes, you could call it 'commission' - I prefer the term 'bribery'.

^ The scariest part of that video is the lack of outrage in the room. Stupid Americans.

Bi polar 1 here with rapid cycling.. at least that's what they tell me. I'm finally starting to believe it after a couple of decades of extreme highs and lows and "self medicating" with everything and everything as a kid, but mostly opiates since really discovering their allure to control my mood especially combined with a benzo.

Anyways, after a particularly nasty nasty run on fent i decided to seek out a shrink who could give me subs and treat my mood. Aside from requiring what people here seem to think is a ridiculous dose of subs, 8mg TID as BID wasn't cutting it, I was restarted on the last med combo i had been stabilized on and actually worked until i decided it was all bullshit and went off and stopped treatment... Topamax 50mg BID, Celexa 20mg QD, Valium 10mg BID and 30mg Restoril Q HS. The Topamax, Celexa and Valium doses were cut in half from prior doses to be titrated up as needed. I can already tell it's time to up the topamax as I'm getting 2-3 hours sleep a night MAXIMUM this last week along with some other classic manic symptoms.

Anyways, i'm not trying to write a novel, but i mentioned to him the lethargy and inability to focus or get anything done after a manic episode and questioned the bipolar DX, being desperate to have a less stigmatized DX. I had been reading about ADD/ADHD being misdiagnosed as bipolar and asked if thought that was a possibility. I was honest and told him i had used 30mg adderall all through college as a study aid for focus and energy. He said "no" and he truly thinks i am bipolar.

He mentioned to me that some of his patients required Vyvanse, a prodrug to adderall, and we could talk about adding that next visit in a month if i wanted to. This was my second visit, a week after my first and he didn't want to start me on so many meds all so quickly.

I think i'm going to go for it and give it a try. I think that the possible benefits outweigh the risks and it's worth a try. My caffeine intake is insane, 4-5 quad shot drinks a day. On the way to work, on the way to a meeting, at lunch, one in the afternoon, on the way home from work, running errands in the evening..

Topamax already carries increased risk of kidney stones, further increased with dehydration from something like over consumption of coffee. The thought of kidney stones on subs without adequate pain control terrifies me. I saw what they were like for my dad and grandfather WITH great pain control... and unfortunately after mania always comes the crash.

He might sound like some sort of a pill mill doc but i swear he isn't. He is really empathetic, listens, I never feel rushed and he is part of a large catholic hospital system that accepts insurance AND does charity work based on ability to pay.

Last edited:
So this is basically an opinion question because I'm curious about about what others think. Basically my last psychologist prescribed be adderall, 10 mg xr because I had chronic fatigue as a side effect of major depressive disorder. He did this even though I clearly was not ADHD. However, I took it and became very awake and sociable and productive. Because of this my depression seemed to dwindle a lot, and people could clearly tell. This want on for one and a half years. Now I'm moving and changing my psychologist and she says she wants to take me off adderall since I'm not ADHD. She said that we should cure my depression not just hide it. What's your opinion of this? Even though I'm not ADHD, adderall is drastically changing my quality of life and making me a happier person. Why fix something that isn't broke?

How long will it improve the quality of your life for though before you start having a reverse effect?
Stimulants/Uppers are my DoC. With that being said, It would be a horrendous idea for a doctor to keep me with a steady flow.
I'd probably end up having a heart attack.
So all in all.. does Adderall make you feel great like your on top of the world? Sure.
But some people, like myself, just don't know when to quit.
When you are up for 3 days and have to go into work.. its the worst feeling in the world.
Lets just leave the scripts to the people that actually need its medicinal purposes.

How long will it improve the quality of your life for though before you start having a reverse effect?
Stimulants/Uppers are my DoC. With that being said, It would be a horrendous idea for a doctor to keep me with a steady flow.
I'd probably end up having a heart attack.
So all in all.. does Adderall make you feel great like your on top of the world? Sure.
But some people, like myself, just don't know when to quit.
When you are up for 3 days and have to go into work.. its the worst feeling in the world.
Lets just leave the scripts to the people that actually need its medicinal purposes.

Everyone is different, but I think it's a lot easier to control Adderall dosage compared to taking too much meth. I think the problem I had with my binge dose of adderall was wanting to have that "mdma" feeling. And I never got it.

Topamax already carries increased risk of kidney stones, further increased with dehydration from something like over consumption of coffee. The thought of kidney stones on subs without adequate pain control terrifies me. I saw what they were like for my dad and grandfather WITH great pain control... and unfortunately after mania always comes the crash.

Topamax gave me kidney stones. They actually weren't as bad as I was expecting, but I did choose to have the remaining ones surgically removed instead of waiting to pass them (also I stopped taking Topamax).