a survey of how many adults in the U.S. have had drug-related mystical experiences

MBaggott

Bluelighter
I just did a nationwide survey of over 6,000 people to measure how many adults in the U.S. have had a mystical experience after taking drugs.

It seems about 8 in 1,000 adults have had a drug-related mystical experience. For comparison, that's about how common it is to be Buddhist in the U.S.

As an experiment in open science, I've put the raw data and a summary manuscript on github. Anyone interested can download the data -- and even publish an analysis if they find anything cool. I wrote a piece on medium giving an overview of the project and some background on prior research.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afraid I am in the UK, but might have some experiences that would interest you? Strange experiences with Psilocybin... and a deeply profound, life altering experience when I took MDMA the first time. Years later I finally realised I was a psychic medium... with no more help than a pint or two of cider and a few cigs....

Thanks for posting this Matthew. It's a great model for more researcher to put their data and preliminary papers in public domains.

I like the finding that drugs are only a small part of this phenomenon.

Drugs - mysticism - religion.... have they not always been interconnected?