• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oral dilaudid vs iv dilaudid

Luci Furr

Greenlighter
I'm so worried I've been off the iv dilaudid 2 weeks and tomorrow my 90 pills of 4mg ir arrive with my 15 fentanyl patches at 75 mcg which I have only been wearing as prescribed not abusing I want to stay off the needle and take my medicine as prescribed I just don't know if I'm strong enough I've even looked for a rehab but live in the middle of no where...any tips on how to not go back to the iv dilaudid is greatly appreciated....

It's just gonna take a lot or wanting and willpower in your part. Throw out all your points and stuff and make small goals, resolve to stick to them, and maybe have someone else there to hold you accountable.

The accessibility is an issue there are no rules here so getting points and stuff is easy I do want this bad im tired of the ups and downs I think I'm too old to play the game for fun so im very hopeful that I have the knowedge to quit

Iving dilaudid will kill your script fast & your tolerance will sky rocket, those 2 things right there would make me want to quit the needle.

I know you take your meds for pain, & obviously for getting high, but 90 dilaudid pills & (15) 75 MCG Fent patches should have you really nice at least for 3 weeks.......I'm assuming you've snorted the dilaudid before?

Torrance is not my friend I could be nice maybe a week I don't know what "really nice" is anymore I havent " nodded" in years yes I take for chronic cheat pain from a rare incurable disease on top of many surgeries as well to be able to tolerate my condition and benzodiazepines daily which im not abusing my only abusing issue has been with ir dilaudids and yes I have snorted them also but I want to take all my medicine correctly as prescribed not trade one bad habit for another unfortunately hind sight is 20/20 after your tolerance has skyrocketed and you've figurd out the problem your addiction probably already exists hence the problem...sorry that is not true the corrected version would be my issue is with dilaudid period ir and exalgo 32 mg daily which I slammed as well but switched the exalgo to fetanyl so that solved half my issue the fentanyl is the matrix kind and im not abusing it I tried the buccal method and had zero result so I gave up on abusing im aware of the ways just not trying to start another issue there

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I couldn't read that because it sounded like a tweaker in my head

Punctuation is your friend.

Isn't exalgo the same as dilaudid? Or is Exalgo the ER version? Either way, the needle is a whole other addiction on it's own and is very hard to stop. Dilaudid is one of the most potent drugs to IV, IMO, so just going back to regular use is going to be difficult since your tolerance is probably out of control. Sounds like you really want to stop the IV use, so if that's true, you just have to try. One day at a time, one hour, one minute, one second. It's all you can do. Good luck to you.

Exalgo is extended release dilaudid sorry I sound like a tweaker im freaking out about tomorrow I don't wanna screw up thanks for the encouragement everyone

It will take some willpower, once you go to bangin dillies it's really hard to go back to eating, or snorting...if you are not against it I highly suggest you try plugging. The first thing I shot was an 8mg Exaglo, and knowing it has a low oral bioavailabilty, and I had 12mg and no rigs, I did not want to waste it eating it so I plugged it. It last longer than banging and most certainly has a higher BA than oral for sure..since your tolerance is high, maybe look into that, and just take your prescribed dose rectally. Soooo much better than oral and you are not chasing a rush while doing it this way, also think this will help your pain better than just eating them. Only problem you might run into is being backed up from the opiates, so just make sure you are clear there. I really do reccomend this, really think it will help your pain more than just eating, and as I said, you are not chasing a rush doing it this way.

I also suggest plugging. Use a Fleets before if you're all backed up. Sounds terrible, but with a little bit of lube on the tip it's not bad at all and then you know for sure you're all cleaned out and getting the maximum effect from plugging. You can even reuse the Fleets bottle to plug the D solution if you don't have a rig.

Not sure if this will help but have you considered asking your dr to prescribe you something different? If the dilaudid is your only problem and you have no difficulty not abusing the fent, maybe the dr could prescribe something different for your breakthrough pain? Best of luck to you

I haven't ever tried plugging anything but I will strongly consider it, as much as I want off the needle im obviously not strong enough yet to be able to control myself...last night I was literally screaming in pain from overdoing it fishing for a few hours then cooking a few hours put me over the edge and I wound up snorting one and banging one...I was so disappointed in myself but my friend told me one day at a time I can start over today. I also will talk to my doctor about switching medicine it's just been really rough this year my insurance changed and my copays skyrocketed which on a fixed income is not cool so I appreciate all the good tips and will definitely try to implement so of the good ideas here thanks everyone

Yea, I used to get the instant release 8mg's at 5 a day, a hundo and fiddy at a time!!! I started by railing them and switched to banging because I couldn't breath out of my nose...lol. I hate railing anything anymore, anyway. So, to stop banging the eights I had my dr switch to 30mg instant oxyies. Those have like twice the oral BA as hydromorphone (especially when taken with a small amount of fatty foods), which helped he stop the dillyies and haven't taken them since. It's been like a year and I've really forgotten about them and like not having a plugged nose or hella punct's all over my hands and arms... :p

Good luck broski... there's hope at the end of the tunnel... %)

Yea, I used to get the instant release 8mg's at 5 a day, a hundo and fiddy at a time!!! I started by railing them and switched to banging because I couldn't breath out of my nose...lol. I hate railing anything anymore, anyway. So, to stop banging the eights I had my dr switch to 30mg instant oxyies. Those have like twice the oral BA as hydromorphone (especially when taken with a small amount of fatty foods), which helped he stop the dillyies and haven't taken them since. It's been like a year and I've really forgotten about them and like not having a plugged nose or hella punct's all over my hands and arms... :p

Good luck broski... there's hope at the end of the tunnel... %)

wow that's a shit ton of dilaudid, I was told I was on a ridiculous amount by a few er doctors and nurses but I guess I still took more than you I was at 42mg a day. I used to get 90 ir 4mg to take 3 a day for break through pain & was on 32mg exalgo a day also and was banging all of it, but due to insurance sucking this year the exalgo went up to $425 copay, which I can't afford so that part got switched to fetanyl 75mcg every other day for $159 copay with the 90 ir dilaudid still for breakthrough pain. im not a motivated addict so screwing with the fetanyl patch is way too much work to even consider in my mind since I get the matrix kind by Mallinckrodt. I tried making the patch in a tiny amount of water for 12 seconds in the microwave then chewing on it or having between my cheek and gum and tried the alcohol swish and spit 1 time that cured that from ever happening again immediately, both times I got no result. I can not tell that I get anything from the fetanyl patch except im not in withdrawal so I know something is working. I have had the transmucosal fetanyl (lollipops) and they are awesome but this pain management doctor will not give them up. I think I've tried just about everything else for breakthrough pain with no relief so I stay with the dilaudid. I just have to find a way off the needle cause I can't stand the tracks and my hubbie is constantly complaining about it. I think I will try the plugging idea if I can figure out the correct way as my next step and if that doesn't work I will try talking to my pain management doctor again to figure out if there are any other options. I'm glad you found a way off hopefully I will too!!! I appreciate the support I live in a tiny town where everyone knows everyone but I know nobody except my hubbie and he doesn't understand drug addiction he's an alcoholic in denial so thats why I joined bluelight.