• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

April Getting/Staying Sober and/or Clean vs Not Fooling Around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
This thread is for anyone who wants to get or is staying sober. Everyone is welcome to post in this thread. Please adhere to the Bluelight User Agreement and Sober Living Forum Guidelines.

name-graphics-april-866198.gif

March forward, and fear not the thorns... March 2015 Gettin' & Stayin' Sober Thread

NSFW:
timthumb.php

Congratulations man! One year wow.. :)
Keep up!
All the best!
Erik

Thanks so much, now that I'm clean I'm able to give back to the community with a clear head which feels great.

Congrats on one year. I'm hitting 22 days tomorrow... got a long way to go *sigh*

~Verri

I know exactly what you mean.
Good luck! :)
(I'm on day 45..)

Well I'm glad to hear that you are both past the first two weeks, those were always the hardest for me. For me I was thrown into rehab for the first six months and then I moved back home with my parents. Living at home makes it so much easier because if I slipped my parents would crucify me upside down before throwing me in another treatment program. Plus it's nice to have company, it was lonely living with some asshole I met in treatment. Having people around makes it easier much of the time. Plus I get to hang out with my little sister at home and she's cool as fuck. I know AA & NA meetings work for some people, they aren't for me.. but if you are inclined to that sort of thing I recommend AA personally. Find hobbies that you can engulf yourself in. I'm a major nerd so last time I had a year sober I made it by playing Magic The Gathering competitively all the time. Since there were always people better than me it kept me focused on growing as a player both intellectually and psychologically. This past year I got a dog, she's a German Shepherd Mix with Australian Kelpie, she's requires a lot of attention and play time which helps keeping me busy. I also enveloped myself in watching the top 50 ranked anime of all time, yeah I'm a super nerd I know. But it has been really fun, I also watched all of Game Of Thrones and The Wire. Basically I've kept myself busy and stimulated, I highly advise digging into the top ranked media on IMDB or the top ranked anime at myanimelist.com. Best of LucK and if you have questions or need anything feel free to hit me up.

Congrats on a year man that's great keep it up
I'm coming up on two months in a few days
I'm feeling good about April ;)

Am I also in the right topic for wanting to get the control back of my use? I don't want to banish it from my life, but it has a way too big role in it now.

There are people here working and attempting many forums of recovery.

IMO the drugs just end up being a symptom of addiction.

If your spinning outta control i would consider giving them all up for a year and during that time deciding which ones need to go for good.

just follow the guidelines linked out in the op and you are golden, welcome.

Last edited:
I know AA & NA meetings work for some people, they aren't for me.. but if you are inclined to that sort of thing I recommend AA personally.

I haven't been to a meeting in forever.. I intend to go to one tomorrow, whether my bf comes or not. He said he is at home wding so I assume he's not gonna wanna leave the house.
I have mixed opinions on the meetings, but all in all I do find that addicts who go to them regularly end up staying clean or at least diminishing use significantly. And it's good to have support from other addicts directly.... I mean, I prefer coming to BL to talk about my drug problems because personally I have anxiety around lots of people in one small room, and the recovery support boards are just like NA, except there are no repetitive phrases you have to repeat every time you come :p an you can talk about whatever is on your mind, whenever. You don't have to wait to speak, you just have to wait for a reply. Which isn't so bad unless you are having a panic attack or something.
and it took me a while to grasp the whole "God" concept they have going there, but when you put it in the terms of an acronym for "Good Orderly Direction" then it helps me put things into a perspective that I can understand much more clearly.

~Verri

There are people here working and attempting many forums of recovery.

IMO the drugs just end up being a symptom of addiction.

If your spinning outta control i would consider giving them all up for a year and during that time deciding which ones need to go for good.

just follow the guidelines linked out in the op and you are golden, welcome.

Have you found that people get addicted to other things besides drugs? Or that as one friend of mine who went through AA and NA said, "Addiction isn't about drug use it's about your behvaior and actions" and he did describe to me how when he first got sober from drugs how he got addicted to exercise.

Yes, true. People are gamblers, shopping addicts, sex addicts. It's not the substance but how your Bain function on rewarding I guess.

Have you found that people get addicted to other things besides drugs? Or that as one friend of mine who went through AA and NA said, "Addiction isn't about drug use it's about your behvaior and actions" and he did describe to me how when he first got sober from drugs how he got addicted to exercise.

Oh yeah, that happened to me big time, and its not the first time it has happened. I had to stop going to the gym for a month because I was just going way to often.

I also haven't gambled in over a year and it was never a problem per say, but I can totally see getting hooked on sports gambling. Also, I suck at regulating my shopping and can get a strong high off of it.

NA is all about addiction being an issue of thinking, for me at least, the drugs are but a symptom. I have always had an addictive personality, video games, chocolate, baseball and hockey cards etc etc etc

Thank you all for sending your messages of strength and support. I've had pills in my house for five days now (for my husband after surgery), and I haven't taken any. I came pretty close two days ago. I opened the container, counted the pills (which I used to do obsessively when I was taking them), and stood for a long time contemplating the course of events if I took one. It was a tough test, but I passed. Husband is doing much better now, too. Thank you!

7 days clean from psychedelics. I relapsed recently which is bad but the upshot is at least I'm re-correcting my course and trying to get clean again after that one relapse

I am so grateful to be clean right now I can go to Passover dinner and not wait for it to be over so I can go get high all ready
I am finally starting to feel better I still have bad cravings and they are not getting any easier but I am happy with where I am right now
Happy holidays everyone!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.