• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

April Getting/Staying Sober and/or Clean vs Not Fooling Around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totach, nice to see that we are both clean and posting in sober living. :) im happy to hear you are free from opiate enslavement.

Ive been clean since dec 27 2013 so just over 15 months. Im finally free of addiction and able to travel, im in india for 2.5 months!

I never thought i could be sober. As much as i struggling during the 14 months of therapeutic community, i needed the restriction to gain the time to heal.

I am tempted to hunt down ketamine though bc i know its legal here, but no luck so far but i haven't really tried w any effort.

Congrats to all of those with any clean and sober time... it truly is one day at a time. I kicked oxy's in 2013 but about 11 months ago I gave in to my pain issues, and now have been getting them again. I am currently trying to taper, and read the taper mega thread, but it is pretty quiet. I liked how my self esteem felt so healthy when I was clean and sober. IDK... I may have to bite the bullet and go to meetings... I will first give BL a try and see if I can successfully taper to the point I can jump off and be clean and sober without withdrawals almost killing me.

Congratulations on one year sober, Pharmacist!

Oh hey P0kemama, I just replied to your post in the New Member Intros and directed you here, didn't realize you posted in here already :p

Congrats to everyone for making it another clean 24! <3
I'm so close to a month, it's right around the corner, I can see it!!

Have a good day everyone! =D

~Verri

Hi PapaV:
Many thanks for the welcome. You are definitely observant...you directed me to the thread that was of most interest to me.

Congrats on your upcoming month being clean, every day is a victory.

Xanax,
Sorry to hear you relapsed, but you are back here, which is wonderful. What was the trigger and have you come up with a healthy solution for it?

I joined BL because I am tapering off of oxy's, and am looking for people who have done this successfully. I may also post on the megathread for tapers, however I have read over half of it already, and there is not too much anecdotal information on people who have tapered slowly off of oxycodone and what their withdrawal experience was like. The thread has not been active in some time, so I will wait to hear from a moderator if I should post this info over there.
I went C.T. off a much bigger habit of oxy's, vic's, alcohol in 2013 and was very sick and PAWS lingered for months. I am prescribed my oxy's, and now do not drink or add to my script with pills from the street. However, the doc is so expensive, takes cash or credit cards only, so I am motivated financially to get off them. Also, DEA is always messing with docs who prescribe pills, and I don't want to find myself out suddenly and having to C.T.

Another day clean from psychedelics/empathogens. That makes 8 in a row. I almost relapsed today, but luckily I didn't. I wrote down pros and cons of doing drugs and the cons overweighed the pros, so I decided to not go buy drugs.

Have you found that people get addicted to other things besides drugs? Or that as one friend of mine who went through AA and NA said, "Addiction isn't about drug use it's about your behvaior and actions" and he did describe to me how when he first got sober from drugs how he got addicted to exercise.

Yes, true. People are gamblers, shopping addicts, sex addicts. It's not the substance but how your Bain function on rewarding I guess.

Oh yeah, that happened to me big time, and its not the first time it has happened. I had to stop going to the gym for a month because I was just going way to often.

I also haven't gambled in over a year and it was never a problem per say, but I can totally see getting hooked on sports gambling. Also, I suck at regulating my shopping and can get a strong high off of it.

NA is all about addiction being an issue of thinking, for me at least, the drugs are but a symptom. I have always had an addictive personality, video games, chocolate, baseball and hockey cards etc etc etc

Absolutely.. anything that stimulates the mesolimbic reward pathway is a possibility. But i don't think we are all susceptible to them all.

Learning, risk taking, ,books, sugar, being five minutes late, money.

Religion.. a religious extremist, is a religion addict imho.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone in this thread
I woke up yesterday so bored and an empty house it was the closest I have come yet to getting high
I was in my bed for two hours contemplating if I should cop or not
I really need to learn how to cope with those urges and what to do to get my mind off them
I am very scared because of this I don't want to fail and start getting high again
I can't let everyone including myself down again
Thank god I made it thru the weekend I will have two months clean on Tuesday ;)
Happy holidays everyone!!

I am very scared because of this I don't want to fail and start getting high again

Congrats on nearing Two months!
Remember that if anything did ever happen, that there is no failing, only falling. Just get back up and keep on walking. :)

~Verri

Congrats to everyone fighting the good fight, even if you are still tapering you have to appreciate that you got the process started at all. A special shout out to Captain.Heroin because I know from reading posts in other forums how much of an uphill battle this can be for you at times; and yet you always manage to remain extraordinarily supportive of others through this process. While I have said that AA/NA is not for me I don't want to discourage other users from attending because it may be the most valuable resource you have on hand, especially considering that it is technically free. If you can't afford to put a dollar in the basket, don't be guilted by the looks of others, if others judge you that is their problem.

I also heard people talk about developing other addictions, yes I've seen people develop addictions to sex, working out, video games, gambling, Books & Comics & Manga, move & entertainment including TV, volunteering & such, obsessing on others (akin to stalking but it's different), food, work, and I personally essentially got addicted to Magic The Gathering during my last sobriety.
Many of these are not harmful to those who engage in them or the people around them so it should probably be left alone, but if they become something harmful obviously someone ought step in and either say something or force a behavioral change to something less harmful or better yet more positive.

I was living in Los Angeles a year ago when I was just getting clean and their were many celebrities and super-wealthy people. My point is that a lot of the newly sober people would try to attach themselves to celebrities or rich people if they could... even if they didn't really like them. It was really shitty because the rich and famous people that the newly sober had access to were also newly sober themselves and it sort of compromised their sobriety and definitely made it harder for them to trust people. I know I was pretty good friends with two really wealthy people and one really famous guy, and a guy in our group of friends relapsed and did a bunch of things that made one of the wealthy guys and the really famous guy nervous about being friends with any of us newly sober people, at least in a really close way. I mean I used to text these guys everyday and after the other guy in our group of friends relapsed and behaved really creepily they were both really distant from everyone else in the group which sucked, cause we all had spent 4 months meeting at an AA meeting every weekday morning and getting breakfast afterwards, not to mention volunteering together almost every Sunday. I guess my point is that it's really shitty when people obsess over people as a way to make up for their addiction because if the person is newly sober themselves then it puts them at risk for relapse as well. Not to mention famous and rich people are more likely to be the objects of someone's obsession. At least I'm still friends with one of the wealthy guys and the other guy in our group who wasn't famous or wealthy. Idk people obsessing over other people does lots of damage and is a bad thing to take up in sobriety.

Either way I went on another rant that wasn't intended. It's just good to make good friends in sobriety who have your back.

thanks guys :)

another day down, and I'm still going strong. I hope you all are doing just as well

happy Easter Sunday everyone <3

Congrats to everyone in this thread
I woke up yesterday so bored and an empty house it was the closest I have come yet to getting high
I was in my bed for two hours contemplating if I should cop or not
I really need to learn how to cope with those urges and what to do to get my mind off them
I can't let everyone including myself down again
Thank god I made it thru the weekend I will have two months clean on Tuesday ;)
Happy holidays everyone!!

dude that's awesome! 2 hours and you didn't cave in and let yourself use, that's some amazing progress

do you have some activities to help fill in the time when you're alone, like maybe video games, movies, TV shows? These help a lot with the "boring frustrated" feelings that withdrawal can bring us.

Congrats to everyone fighting the good fight, even if you are still tapering you have to appreciate that you got the process started at all. A special shout out to Captain.Heroin because I know from reading posts in other forums how much of an uphill battle this can be for you at times; and yet you always manage to remain extraordinarily supportive of others through this process. While I have said that AA/NA is not for me I don't want to discourage other users from attending because it may be the most valuable resource you have on hand, especially considering that it is technically free. If you can't afford to put a dollar in the basket, don't be guilted by the looks of others, if others judge you that is their problem.

I also heard people talk about developing other addictions, yes I've seen people develop addictions to sex, working out, video games, gambling, Books & Comics & Manga, move & entertainment including TV, volunteering & such, obsessing on others (akin to stalking but it's different), food, work, and I personally essentially got addicted to Magic The Gathering during my last sobriety.
Many of these are not harmful to those who engage in them or the people around them so it should probably be left alone, but if they become something harmful obviously someone ought step in and either say something or force a behavioral change to something less harmful or better yet more positive.

I was living in Los Angeles a year ago when I was just getting clean and their were many celebrities and super-wealthy people. My point is that a lot of the newly sober people would try to attach themselves to celebrities or rich people if they could... even if they didn't really like them. It was really shitty because the rich and famous people that the newly sober had access to were also newly sober themselves and it sort of compromised their sobriety and definitely made it harder for them to trust people. I know I was pretty good friends with two really wealthy people and one really famous guy, and a guy in our group of friends relapsed and did a bunch of things that made one of the wealthy guys and the really famous guy nervous about being friends with any of us newly sober people, at least in a really close way. I mean I used to text these guys everyday and after the other guy in our group of friends relapsed and behaved really creepily they were both really distant from everyone else in the group which sucked, cause we all had spent 4 months meeting at an AA meeting every weekday morning and getting breakfast afterwards, not to mention volunteering together almost every Sunday. I guess my point is that it's really shitty when people obsess over people as a way to make up for their addiction because if the person is newly sober themselves then it puts them at risk for relapse as well. Not to mention famous and rich people are more likely to be the objects of someone's obsession. At least I'm still friends with one of the wealthy guys and the other guy in our group who wasn't famous or wealthy. Idk people obsessing over other people does lots of damage and is a bad thing to take up in sobriety.

Either way I went on another rant that wasn't intended. It's just good to make good friends in sobriety who have your back.

the bolded, and especially underlined parts, are why I don't believe in NA/AA. You have to extract yourself from the society and culture of drug users to have a reasonable chance of escaping your addiction.

Of course, this doesn't mean everyone has to do that, but it worked for me.

I appreciate the kind words man, and congrats on your sobriety too :)

do you have some activities to help fill in the time when you're alone, like maybe video games, movies, TV shows? These help a lot with the "boring frustrated" feelings that withdrawal can bring us.

I've been trying to draw and do art again.
I have a lot of talent that I never use. It's so hard to get motivation to do anything productive. I totally miss drawing, and I wanna get back into making my own clothes. I haven't busted out my sewing machine in forever! and I need more paint, all my paint is dried up and I've been too broke to buy more.

~Verri

Status
Not open for further replies.