• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Emotional pain and opioids?

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
So I know that opioids are extremely good at being able to stop people feeling psychical pain but I wondered what about emotional pain? Is it true opioids are good at killing emotional pain or is that rubbish?

Making you forget about it? Yeah. Making you not care about it? Probably. Making the reasons for your emotional pain go away? Definitely not.

All opiates are pretty good anxiolytics. They were used as anti-depressants way back when (as well as barbiturates and amphetamines), although using them to treat a long-term condition like depression is a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Morphine used to be used long ago in psych wards for emotional distress (sometimes in combination with aversion type therapies). This has been disproven as they are highly addictive and don't help folks grow emotionally but can bury the emotions making life worse in the long run, and more painful ime.

The delusion is that it seemingly works. And it might feel better emotionally in the beginning

It is not going to make your problems go away.

It might make you forget about something or help you cope with something awful. It might make it so you do not care about something for a while or until you get over it if it was something you were going to get over rather fast anyways but it is not exactly a good coping mechanism on a regular basis.

It is often my reaction to shitty news as I have access to opiates. That being said I do not think I am doing myself any favors.

True, about forgetting ^

Notice how folks used to be prescribed benzos alot when a loved one died? Meds just prolong the grief process, puts off the pain til later

I'm a queen of emotional pain, therefore, I rant.

Trust me, I've found ways to numb the hurt after my son's death, but zero cure.

Coping sucks, but one must to survive.

Don't get a habit, it isn't worth it.

Masking emotional pain is one of the "worst" effects of opiates. I say that because I believe that to be the one that causes most people to relapse and is probably the effect people enjoy the most. That is the reason heroin is so relaxing and carefree, it basically replaces all those negative thoughts with positive ones associated with no feeling strongly about an outcome but just enjoying the time there. Once you clean up you no longer have that substance that will remove any negative feelings and it becomes hard to deal with them and due to relying on opiates you end up not having good coping skills.

Also its literally like all of lifes problems were just waiting for you to get clean, it can make getting clean seem that much harder. It would be in your best interest to deal with all emotional problems and use opiates for fun. If you deal with all your real life shit it wont build up and be an army you must fight when your already weakened from opiates.

It usually helps numb the pain but every so often I get the opposite effect. On occasion I have turned into a super emotional blubbering baby. A few weeks ago I had taken some oxycodone and was reminiscing about my childhood. I went to see my mother and was hugging her and thanking her for being such a great mother. I was literally sobbing like a baby. Strangest thing :\

For me they made everything perfect, all warm and safe. That was the trap. Feel like shit, just go back to that safe room. Big mistake on my end. Stuffs gonna haunt me forever.

Whatever you're running away from, hiding from it with opiates will help for a while, & depending on how severe the problem is, it can come pouring down when you are out of opiates during withdrawals......

Then you will be dealing with your original problem & withdrawals which suck.

Never hot into.opiates until I had to get them.for back pain, so I never ventured down the road to strictly escape reality, but I know exactly where it can lead.

IMO/ime, benzos are way worse in trying to mask your problems.

I always ask the question, would an endless supply of opiates & money cure you from your emotional problems?

I think enough opiates would do it for me.

I suppose it depends on how bad your problems are and whether or not an endless supply of opiates would be a good thing or not for the individual.

I have a forever replenishing supply for physical pain that is nowhere close enough to cover my physical pain. (a rx)

I also have a benzo rx which has done wonders for my anxiety and panic disorders. I can't really endorse them as there are some better alternatives and I am rather dependent on them and I would literally die if I was to go without my medication. I have had a few seizures do to not being able to take my medication for various reasons beyond my control.

As for emotional pain benzos do nothing for that imo but for anxiety and panic attacks they work well for me.

I do hate having so much physical pain and I think if I was not in pain this dose would have me knocked out or dead. I see other people take benzos and the way they react is very different than the way I react to benzos so I think when there is a genuine need for a medication the effect is much different.

Pain medications used to make me feel so good. Now all they do is ease the pain and I do experience a drastic amount of withdrawals. At this point I wish I did not need them and I have even stopped taking them in attempts to tough out the pain but each time I go back on pain medication knowing exactly what I am in store for.

Honestly I would go on methadone if I could get a doctor to prescribe it for pain and withdrawals. I do not see myself as an addict as I am able to stop. I do become physically dependent on pain medication but it impossible not to when you take it every day for years and even have to sign a piece of paper that states you will become physically dependent on the medicine. I would be fine with the pain medication if I did not experience the withdrawals that come along with it.

The whole situation is rather frustrating and the only thing that seems to help is more opiates and then I find the relief worth it.

They definitely heal all pain. As mentioned already, this is the trap.
Life is much fuller when you're not slaving to a pill everyday IME. And using drugs to run away never helped anybody get far.

Opiates do indeed numb mental pain, as well as physical agony. Unfortunately, that ability is one of the prime reasons they are so addictive, and almost always so highly destructive to any who gets hooked! Of course, here in the UK we had no 'Drug Problem' back in Victorian and Georgian times, even though huge amounts of opiates were consumed by large numbers of the population. That is because they were not only legal, but widely available in corner shops, and freely supplied by street vendors to anyone who had a few pence. They were a vital and important commodity too, to enable folks back then to cope with the crippling medical conditions, dismally unhappy, unsatisfying and/or crushingly boring lives they were obliged to lead, and allow them to endure poverty, hunger and widespread mental illness., and melancholia.

The notorious dangers of addiction, dependence and financial ruin only began to cause a 'problem' when ignorant, paranoid authorities and governments decided to make opiates illegal, and remove or restrict the supply. Quite obviously, people still desperately needed and wanted these drugs, as they have for many centuries and always will, so an inevitable load of ruthless, greedy, criminal 'entrepeneurs' jumped in to fill the need, forming gangs, using violence, stealing from each other and smuggling, with a disastrous increase in price overnight, which most could not afford. And so, whether they liked it or not, ordinary people who had always been honest and upright, were forced to resort to crime, or ruin themselves financially, in order to live a bearable, tolerably painless life.

With the usual supreme arrogance and fear of those they were supposed to protect, serve and support, a series of thoughtless, paranoid, ignorant and self-righteous government did what they have always done - chose to 'crack down' rather than treat the situation humanely and with common sense, and we continue to suffer the legacy of these bastards to this very day!

Needless to say, not everyone disapproved of this Draconian nonsense, organised criminals were delighted by this opportunity, thrived and made fortunes, then were soon fighting for control using gangster tactics, murder, kidnap and intimidation on a vast scale - and dealing not only in drugs, but guns and weapons, controlling prostitution, protection rackets, fencing stolen goods and running illegal gambling. The vast profits they have made also allow them to control corrupt policemen, politicians, councillors and unions, in a worldwide crimewave which became unstoppable years ago.

Sinister indications of what was likely to happen were stupidly overlooked or ignored, for the USA provided a terrible example when they introduced Prohibition of alcohol, which kick started the Mob (in its many forms), which now thrives out of control in every city, having switched from hooch and illegal speakeasy's to the more profitable enterprises mentioned above. The ominous, obvious lesson that "Prohibition Doesn't Work!" has now become the laughable, ridiculous and patently unwinnable "War On Drugs", a Sacred Cow to bullying, short-sighted, uncompromising idiots and cretins like Thatcher, Reagan and Bush, and noxious, hypocritical toadies like Blair, Straw, Cameron, Major and the idiotic little bald turd Haig!

Hmmmm.... that's my 'Drug Tsar' bit done for now. Note that hard drinking, mentally challenged piss-artists like Churchill, speed freaks like Hitler, and that well known junkie Hermann Goring, all known as active war-mongers, had the sense not to get involved in any such nonsense.... they knew they would lose.

Lastly, the destructive side of heroin. My ex-partner was a care worker, dedicated, responsible, hard working and honest to the point of making things quite uncomfy for me. Never before had I resorted to hiding cans of drink (to prevent nagging), and (a truly desperate move.... myghodd could she NAG!!!) not only promising to stop taking speed, but ACTUALLY doing it for real! Shooot herself in the foot there, after a month she began begging me to start again...

Her one and only 'vice' while I was with her was the odd, mild hash spliff, which I never complained about, for not only did I not care, it made MY life tolerable (I only v seldom indulged). When we split, she met a new guy, who I really liked - even though he was a junkie. I felt rather sorry for him actually, but he made a catastrophic, fatal mistake - was open with her, and told her never to touch the stuff.... "see the trouble its caused me?". And so - I expect many will guess the rest? - she found out where his dealer was, went round, and at the age of 43 or so, injected herself with smack for the first time.

She crumbled so fast, it was incredible! Begged borrowed, nagged and stole from friends until they were bled dry and alienated, drove round without MOT, tax, insurance or any tread (wheras before she nearly had a nervous breakdown when she got a parking ticket), and her character changed completely. She was always law-abiding to an irritating fault, would never, ever borrrow money, was never overdrawn, paid every bill before it was due, and tossed and turned all night without sleep if any friend was in trouble, or she forgot to pay a newspaper bill, or her poll tax was late! She had, when we met, a conscience that was worthy of any Pope, Saint or dedicated, saintly social worker - she worried about everything, however trivial, whether she was at fault or not. Entirely gone within a few weeks... and when I mentioned it, she just laughed, grinned smugly, banged her head and said... "look, no headfucks!"

I declined to comment, though I wanted to say... "oh yeah? You ain't seen nothing YET!". It was the smack - it almost completely anaethetised her conscience, decency, goodwill and sense of right and wrong, while seeming to act as a powerful fertiliser on the tiny seeds of her egocentricity, greed, ruthlessness, deviousness, selfishness, recklessness, laziness, self-righteousness and utter dishonesty - character traits neither I nor any of my family and friends had ever seen before, and couldn't believe for the most part.

It also made her horribly WEAK, morally and intellectually. The only interest she had, replacing her previous ones in painting, animals, psychology, work, friends and family, was a grubby exercise book, which she spent countless hours filling with biro drawings of spoons, candles, syringes, piles of powder and even piles of coins and notes. Plus the odd self-pitying, execrable 'poem'! Also horribly manipulative, using pathetic displays of unconvincing, blackmail fuelled emotion to try and get her way. Her love, which was once so strong, selfless and precious to everyone, was no longer present, only a cold, calculating interest in sex, which I have little doubt she was prepared to, or already was exchanging for small amounts of cash.

I had never experienced such a ghastly thing before, and it was very hard, heartbreaking even, in one I had loved, did love, and still do love, despite everything. I did my best, detoxed her three times (agony!), went to counsellors with her, sorted out some benefits, approached friends with excuses and explanations... all to no avail. The last time I witnessed any trace of genuine grief, regret and shame was after a patient at work had died under her care (really not her fault, she was actually 'clean' at the time, the guy drowned in a bath after a seizure, which noody knew he was liable to), and I went to her hearing and helped her get off with a written warning.... but my Rumpole stuff was in vain, she was back on the stuff in days, piteously whining "... but I killed him, I can't bear to live with it!". Every detox the same - her once Iron Will was forever dissolved in a few tepid teaspoons of brick dust, talc, citric acid and tap water.

A cautionary tale then - please, everyone, be very, very, very careful of this stuff, and the damage it can so quickly do to mind, body, spirit and everyone around you! Perhaps the ultimate hypocrisy of this stuff is that I have tried, enjoyed and rather liked the stuff.... far, far TOO nice! Never with her though, it was long after. The last time I saw her, was to help move a fridge, maybe 20 yeas ago? A sweet goodbye kiss and thanks.... "oh no, I don't touch the stuff any more!".... yeah, yeah... and my reward was a big bottle of methadone, how thoughtful! She is almost certainly dead now, and has been for well over a decade. The dealer she first approached died long before that meeting, new boyfriend vanished, and not a single friend has been in contact - several didn't even remember her at all!

Corny though it sounds, don't ever risk going down this route - it can truly be a miserable, living, lonely death! Whether you actually die or not, you will long for it in the end. Final sadness is, I have lost several friends because of heroin... whether alive or not. Last time I discovered their badly decomposed body shortly after a proud, joyous return from being detoxed. I was lucky perhaps, he'd spent all the gas money on smack, so the heating had been off...