• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Quitting Heroin..best route...Methadone?

raiders

Greenlighter
If you have seen any of my previous posts you know I have continually tried to quick using heroin unsuccessfully!!! I really want to stop this horrible habit. Since I have found my way around the "dark net" stores and shopping I realized I have access to medication that people use to kick the heroin habit. What is the best medication to use to detox off heroin? My first thought was methadone. Does anyone know how to detox off heroin using methadone? How many milligram pills and how often do you take it and how do you avoid becoming addicted to the methadone? If anyone has any experience successfully kicking their heroin habit and can give me a guide or give me step by step instructions, I would really appreciate it. As is with many addicts, this is severely affecting my family and my daily life and I need to get off this crap. Like I mentioned, I do have access to order any medication to aid in detox. I have tried quitting cold turkey several times but cannot make it past day 4. I would really appreciate if someone who has gone through this can share any information with me! Thank you in advance for your time!

I'm 33 years old and have been using heroin on and off since I was 14. I was on the methadone clinic for 5 years. At the time it seemed to work I wasn't doing dope! But when it was time to get off it was the WORST withdraw of my life to this date I haven't had worse withdraws. I do not recommend methadone or suboxone I was also on that f

Hell no dont use methadone, lol. Biggest mistake of your fuckin life, it was for me... Go to a suboxone doctor and get a script.

Oops pushed post by accident! I was also on suboxone for 4 years the withdraws aren't as bad as methadone but they last forever! No energy and not being able to sleep for over a month. The best way to withdraw and this sounded stupid to me at first too but it works! Vitamin C and lots of it! Also immodium I don't take more then 6 2mg tablets at a time. It takes a while to work so don't take too much thinking it's not working and take too much. Also Dramamine for nausea and it helps with sleep in addition to the immodium. I personally never messed with benzos while withdrawing I have enough problems I don't need that on too of my other probs. keep busy exercise as much as u can make yourself do normal things. I seem to have the problem of as soon as I feel better I use again. "My struggle" anyway hope this helps somewhat. It's my first time on this. Good luck

First I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to share your advice and experiences with me. Looks like both of you are against methadone so I definitely will not go that route...thanks for the warnings. Sounds like you guys saved me from another addiction along with worse withdrawals. I worry about taking immodium because I have irritable bowel syndrome and messing with meds like that could lead to such worse side effects. The worse withdrawal symptoms for me have been not being able to sleep, restless leg syndrome, terrible hot/cold sweats which is a double whammy because I recently was put into surgical induced menopause so I already have hot flashes. There has to be a medication that can significantly reduce the symptoms and make them bearable because I know nothing will take 100% of all withdrawal symptoms away. Someone has to be experienced in this on this site......If you have kicked the habit please tell me how you did it!!! All comments are welcome

I had good luck with methadone, but it has to be used responsibly. As for the best way for you to quit, that depends on several things:

-how much h you're using to maintain your habit/keep from getting sick
-your resources, which you've said are ample
-your ability to keep yourself from scoring
-your emotional/lifestyle resources including support from family, friends outside the drug scene, etc

Personally, I quit cold turkey numerous times and since my lifestyle resources were lacking I had to have someone else hold me accountable. Also I was using so much h that suboxone wasn't cutting it and I had to go on methadone. I used it for maintenance for a year, spent a year coming down as quickly as they would let me which was not fun, and finally jumped off at 10mg's which was not fun in the least and involved six weeks of not acute agony but flu like symptoms at least. So it really depends on you and your personal situation.

Great recommendations above.
Day 4 is the hardest. At least it always was for me. That's when the dope is finally starting to leave the system and the blood pressure spikes way up, when the sx peak then level off. I used methadone for the first 4-5 days to kick Heroin…. Subs are not full agonists, but you have to be able to wait the interim time before using subs. Methadone you should still wait but you will not experience precipitated withdrawals.

I bounced around with methadone, subs, oxy, tramadol the list goes on, basic vicodins etc to get off H. Not til I made a plan and stuck to it could I do it. And having 4 days off was helpful, otherwise not sure I would have made it

For me I used suboxone, benzos (xanax mostly), and carisporodal.

I tried and failed many times, and mine wouldn't even be considered a "serious" habit compared to some of the veterans here.

I moved to another country to get myself out of the environment because my future seemed pretty bleak. I know I would've relapsed in that environment.

This isn't an option for most people and I know I'm extremely fortunate to have this opportunity. But the fiend in me found a way to score some oxys here, got caught, and even spent some time in a holding cell. I was supposed to be deported immediately, but I got extremely lucky and the judge gave me another chance to stay. My partner in crime got locked up and then deported immediately (his second offense). I've dodged so many bullets, yet, I know if someone offered me some opiates it would be extremely hard to turn down.

What I'm trying to get at is that even if you truly put your mind to it, it might not be enough. Like wezface mentioned, "your ability to keep yourself from scoring" and "your friends outside the drug scene" will be a huge factor.

Even if you delete all your contacts or in my case, move to a country where THC found in your urine could place you in the slammer, the fiend inside of you will do everything to justify your reason to score.

I haven't touched opiates since I got caught here which was about 5-6 months ago. The fact that drugs are extremely taboo in this particular society, hard to acquire, and not having anyone around me who uses definitely helps.

Might sound like a broken record, but the environment and the people around you are key from my experience. Best of luck.

Regarding Buprenorphine it is important not to stay too long on it. Just use it for the acute WD-phase of the Heroin and then until you feel ready to jump off after a good taper of course.

I`ve been on methadone for 6 years. Just do a 21 day detox and you`ll have no problem. Do not stay longer or you`ll catch a meth habit and believe me you don`t want a meth habit. In 21 days you`ll never get sick and you`ll feel clean again. The rest is all mental.