• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Living in the same house as parents

Munchkoala

Ex-Bluelighter
At what age did you decide you could no longer live in the same postcode as your parents? I, for one, can not stand more than 2 hours at any one time with either parent - or more than 1 hour with both parents in the same place.

Any thoughts on parents and why they make you feel like biting a gun barrel?

For me it's the simple fact that I've spent so long growing up around them that I've psycho-analyzed them to pieces, that their level of conversation just doesn't stimulate me, and because they have such a basic routine it has killed off a part of their soul/spark for life that reflects outwardly in their presence.

I still love them though.

At age 17 I moved out because I couldn't handle living in that village. I hated them then. But we get along now. I never visit them for more than one night though because they live in a terribly depressing village/town/whatever.

For me it's the simple fact that I've spent so long growing up around them that I've psycho-analyzed them to pieces, that their level of conversation just doesn't stimulate me, and because they have such a basic routine it has killed off a part of their soul/spark for life that reflects outwardly in their presence.

I still love them though.
I hear ya. I just can't be fucked talking to them most of the time when they try to engage in standard small talk that I have grown up around. It bores me to death, and I usually answer with grunts or monotone noises of bored acknowledgement.
At age 17 I moved out because I couldn't handle living in that village. I hated them then. But we get along now. I never visit them for more than one night though because they live in a terribly depressing village/town/whatever.
It's depressing for me to even think about being in the same room for any loner than what I said in my first post.

It's a bit sad though, because they will be gone one day and I will probs regret not engaging with them more. But, it is what it is, and I just can't get my head around enjoying myself in their company, unless there is copious amounts of alcohol involved - e.g. Xmas time.

Im 25 my brothers are 22 and 19 we all live at home. I read today that 85% of 20-25 years olds on Long Island still live with their parents and. 70% of 25-30 year olds on Long Island still live with their parents. Meanwhile all our parents at our age were married with kids owning their own homes. shits to expensive these days with cost if living going up and salaries staying what they are most young adults are leaving NY. Its a shame only seeing elderly or 45+ living here .

Ik stuck i got a good enough job that i could make it here ? But do i want too ? Idk man idk

Im 25 my brothers are 22 and 19 we all live at home. I read today that 85% of 20-25 years olds on Long Island still live with their parents and. 70% of 25-30 year olds on Long Island still live with their parents. Meanwhile all our parents at our age were married with kids owning their own homes. shits to expensive these days with cost if living going up and salaries staying what they are most young adults are leaving NY. Its a shame only seeing elderly or 45+ living here .

Ik stuck i got a good enough job that i could make it here ? But do i want too ? Idk man idk
What has happened to you and your siblings is happening all over America. It's called "Generational Theft." Baby Boomers are stealing their children's future. It has been in the media a lot lately. Just google it ....

Last edited:

Dayummm, they are some pretty high percentages. Do you have the source of these figures, as I am interested to read about this phenomena?

At what age did you decide you could no longer live in the same postcode as your parents? I, for one, can not stand more than 2 hours at any one time with either parent - or more than 1 hour with both parents in the same place.

It's been a bit erratic with myself.

I had enough at 19 and moved out.. i couldn't stand been around them, i wanted the freedom to come and go as i pleased without been interrogated. Plus im very independent and i wanted to learn how to live independently (wash clothes, pay bills/rent, cook food etc). I lived out of home until i was 22 then i moved back home for one year due to financial circumstances and my housemates were moving onto different horizons.

I left again a 23 and went to travel and live in Europe for two years before returning at 25. I tell you what, it's fucking hard to come back to this after living out of home for so long especially while abroad.. our relationship now is much more placid, there more like housemates i live with.. i work long days all week and only ever really see them on the weekends and even then we rarely speak much. But i'm using this opportunity to bulk save for the next couple of years so that by 28 i will be financially independent and can move out without struggling.

Any thoughts on parents and why they make you feel like biting a gun barrel?

It's just my mother for me, i could probably live easily with my father.. he leaves me be and expects me to take responsibility for my life, he's not trying to play the 'parent' role whereas my mother is reluctant to let go of that role and tries to control the whole household.

Relationships with parents are very different than with friends, a partner, etc.
Many people end up getting along with their parents better in time, specifically when they aren't living together. When one person makes up all the rules (your parents), it's really hard. If you were equals then it wouldn't be as bad, but I'm guessing you aren't paying rent or anything to them. Then it would be more of a landlord situation.

so then move out?

Honestly, it just sounds like you have gotten comfortable there even though you complain about living there. If you can afford to move out and live by yourself and you don't then it has nothing to do "generational theft" or whatever the fuck socko said. Just sounds like mooching out of convenience and zero motivation to start your own life. If you couldn't afford to move out by yourself then it would be a different story but trust me, the longer you stay, the harder it will be to move out.

I meet so many young people and people in their upper 20's and even 30's here in NY that have the means to move out on their own, but don't want to because mommy and daddy take care of them. It's pathetic. I sincerely hope you don't fall into that category because you will probably be in for a rude awakening once you do have to fend for yourself.

To OP

Living on your own and everything that goes along with are skill sets that must be developed over time. The sooner you start your own life out of the comforts of your parents house, the better. It's important to become an independent adult that is responsible for themselves and everything within their lives.

It's better to have tried and failed than to live life wondering what would've happened if you had tried...

Last edited:
I visit my parents from time to time, and I regret it on each and every occasion.

I visit my parents from time to time, and I regret it on each and every occasion.

Oh i completely misread your OP lol. I thought you were still living there!

I know what you mean though. I can only take my parents in small doses.