• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How bad is it that I drank on Cephalexin?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
I sometimes get recurring impetigo (mild staph infection) because I have been exposed to it in the past, and I have it again now on my right leg and right arm.

I saw a dermatologist who put me on Cephalexin which is an antifungal anti-biotic, twice a day for a week, plus two ointments.

Although it doesn't say anywhere on the pamphlet for the medication not to drink with the medication (and usually it DOES say that kind of thing if it's a serious contradindication which leads me to believe it's probably not THAT bad...) I asked the dermatologist if I should avoid alcohol on it and she said that I should try not to have more than one drink...

Well, being the wonderfully fucking compliant patient I am...since I was feeling depressed this past week I drank a small bottle of wine Sunday night and then last night (Tuesday night) I drank a six pack (fucking great right?)

I have been on it since Saturday though and I didn't drink at all Saturday, Monday, today (Wednesday) and won't drink at all Thursday or Friday and I will finish my antibiotics Friday...so, that's still only two nights out of 7 on the meds that I drank...

My questions are:

1) How severely unhealthy is it that I got drunk twice on Cephalaxin?

Do you think that I did my liver and/or kidney or other internal organs permanent damage that will never heal or something???

2) do you think that drinking will prevent the antibiotic from working and my impetigo won't go away even if I don't drink any more for the last 3 days of my antibiotics cycle?

I looked this up on Web MD and elsewhere on the web and most responses I got said that contrary to popular belief it is not extremely dangerous to drink alcohol on MOST antibiotics (they listed one called Flagyl or something like that they said it is dangerous to drink on, but they never mentioned Cephalexin)....but they said that the danger is that alcohol can interact with how some antibiotics work and reduce their effectiveness.

One comment by a doctor on WebMD said that, quote"

"Usually, no. Alcohol doesn’t reduce the effectiveness of most antibiotics. However, alcohol can worsen side effects caused by some antibiotics, like dizziness or an upset stomach.
You should definitely avoid drinking alcohol while taking metronidazole (Flagyl), as this combination can cause severe nausea and vomiting.
There have been a few isolated reports of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim) causing a similar reaction with alcohol. However, given the millions of doses of the drug taken yearly, this reaction is probably rare. The packaging insert for Bactrim has no warning against drinking alcohol while taking the drug.
Heavy daily alcohol use can impair the function of the liver, which can reduce its ability to metabolize some antibiotics."

So, do you think this is the final word on the subject?

Do you think I probably haven't fucked up my liver too badly and that the antibiotics might still work?

I woke up feeling shitty today, but that's mostly cause I'm hung over and I'm feeling a lot better now and I only had a mild stomach ache when I woke up which is gone now and I have a good appetite so hopefully I'm fine and just won't drink on antibiotics again...

Thanks

This wouldn't seem to be a big deal unless you have preexisting liver issues.

Hopefully the staph quickly clears up. Definitely stay the full course of antibiotics, though. People commonly stop taking antibiotics too soon when something clears, and this can allow for bacteria to adapt and become resistant, assuming they aren't already resistant strains.

The combination of cefalexin and alcohol shouldn't be more organ-damaging than alcohol alone. Alcohol does reduce the effectiveness of cefalexin though.

The combination of cefalexin and alcohol shouldn't be more organ-damaging than alcohol alone. Alcohol does reduce the effectiveness of cefalexin though.

Do you think the fact that I did that will prevent my impetigo from being fully cured?

Last edited:
Do you think the fact that I did that will prevent my impetigo from being fully cured?

Probably not, but you may not fully get rid of the infection even if you hadn't drunk.Are you applying the ointments?