• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Former New York prison guard reveals his behind-bars drug-smuggling and pimping opera

poledriver

Bluelighter
Former New York prison guard reveals his behind-bars drug-smuggling and pimping operation in new book

A former US corrections officer who served time for smuggling drugs into prison has revealed he also acted as a "pimp" for three female guards who turned tricks for jail management and inmates.

During his time working at New York City’s Rikers Island jail, Gary Heyward built up a lucrative smuggling ring which delivered drugs, alcohol, mobile phones and prostitutes to prisoners who could afford the high prices, the New York Daily News reports.

"I had orders for coke, liquor, cell phones and cooch," Heyward wrote in his tell-all book Corruption Officer.

Heyward was sentenced to two years’ jail in 2006 after admitting to smuggling in a phone to one inmate for $500 and trying to sell cocaine to another.

1603_heyward_s.ashx

However, the two charges against the Operation Desert Storm veteran were only a small fraction of his behind-bars business venture, the book reveals.

After landing a job with New York's Department of Correction in 1996, Heyward ran into an inmate, named Biz, who also happened to be his best friend from when he was growing up in the a rough Harlem neighbourhood.

Biz immediately convinced Heyward to smuggle him in a carton of cigarettes, but did not tell him the carton was filled with marijuana which was then dealt around the prison.

Heyward claims the deception left him feeling cynical and hard-hearted, but he saw an opportunity to make some money.

Already in a financial hole due to gambling debts and child support, Heyward says the final push into smuggling came when a one-night stand demanded money from him so she could have an abortion.

When New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg banned cigarette sales in prisons, a black market sprung up in which a $2 pouch of tobacco could be on-sold for $200.

"The profit from the cigarette trade in jail outweighs that of any drug hustle on the street," he wrote in the book.

Learning of his operation, a female prison officer known as "Officer Rains" approached him and said she would smuggle in tobacco pouches if he offered her and two other female guards protection as they prostituted themselves to inmates and prison officials.

Heyward referred to the ladies as "copsitutes".

Working with an inmate known as "Flocko" who handled the distribution, Heyward soon turned to smuggling all manner of drugs and contraband to the extent that the pay from his legitimate job was a small fraction of his true income.

He realised things were getting too hot when another officer referred to an inmate as one of "your boys".

Heyward coyly asked his colleague what he meant and was told: "Don't have shame in your game now, we all see how chummy you are with some of these losers."

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...ing-and-pimping-operation#IEjLHHBR4qttTOfo.99

Learning of his operation, a female prison officer known as "Officer Rains" approached him and said she would smuggle in tobacco pouches if he offered her and two other female guards protection as they prostituted themselves to inmates and prison officials.

This bit sounds like bullshit to me. The transaction system inside correctional facilities relies on drastic artificial inflation of traded commodities (like cigarettes, food, drugs, etc). A small-valued commodity goes a long way. I really doubt inmates would have a) enough cash or b) anything valuable enough to be worth the energies of women who were already drawing a steady wage.

If they were going to sex work with prison officials as their clients, there's exactly zero reason to do it at the prison.

Basically, this story makes zero sense unless you already think that all women are 'prostitutes'.

This bit sounds like bullshit to me. The transaction system inside correctional facilities relies on drastic artificial inflation of traded commodities (like cigarettes, food, drugs, etc). A small-valued commodity goes a long way. I really doubt inmates would have a) enough cash or b) anything valuable enough to be worth the energies of women who were already drawing a steady wage.

If they were going to sex work with prison officials as their clients, there's exactly zero reason to do it at the prison.

Basically, this story makes zero sense unless you already think that all women are 'prostitutes'.

Huhh. Rich people don't get locked up? Rich drug dealers and gang members never get locked up? Dont even know where the "zero sense unless you already think that all women are 'prostitutes'." came from.. come again?

I think that comment might have been in reference to the misguided idea that, because of their gender, it follows logically that they were in fact prostitutes - giving more credence to the overall story. It's actually a very commonplace assumption. Hey, they're women, they're whores, oh okay that makes sense so the story sounds true! Perhaps something like that, although I feel I'm articulating the thought very badly.

Huhh. Rich people don't get locked up? Rich drug dealers and gang members never get locked up?

Not that commonly, unless the US prison system is wildly different to the Australian one. And from what I've read, I gather the demographics of the prison population are pretty similar in both countries: overwhelmingly low socio-economic background people of colour with low formal education levels.

The argument might be made that some of this population have acquired wealth in the black market, but large amounts of cash moneys are a lot harder to smuggle into prison and hide than more valuable contraband. Things like drugs, cigarettes, mobile phones and weapons are also just more useful to inmates of correctional centres than cash moneys, so they're (if anything) more valuable.

Dont even know where the "zero sense unless you already think that all women are 'prostitutes'." came from.. come again?

Does it makes sense to you that Random Woman X is selling sex in a scenario where there's very little tangible benefit and very high risk without significant motivating factors (poverty, criminalisation along other axes, inability to do other work because for eg they belong to a heavily marginalised group, strong need for workplace flexibility)? If it does, you (general you) may be confusing the reasons women do sex work (generally for the money) with an inaccurate idea of women's sexual availability. This is getting a bit Gender Studies 101, but think about it. If there would be no benefit for the woman to do the job if it was literally any other kind of job, then she's not likely to be sex working in that scenario. I think I described above why this scenario is unfeasible, but think about this: if this guy said he'd "pimped" random women into working as prison guards, or cleaners, or any other kind of job you find in a prison, but they weren't getting paid except for what the prison inmates produced in the internal barter system, would you think that was a reasonable story? Or would your first thought be "Christ, those women must be extremely poor and desperate"?

If I sound a bit defensive, just remember that this idea that all women can be assumed to be either sex workers or sex workers in waiting is responsible for women being arrested for what they're wearing, or for standing on the street while being transgender.

I think that comment might have been in reference to the misguided idea that, because of their gender, it follows logically that they were in fact prostitutes - giving more credence to the overall story. It's actually a very commonplace assumption. Hey, they're women, they're whores, oh okay that makes sense so the story sounds true! Perhaps something like that, although I feel I'm articulating the thought very badly.

Yeah, kinda this. I guess I'd ask if people would think the story was as believable if this guy said he'd run a "pimping" ring of male guards doing sex work to prison inmates and other staff. Or would you think "That sounds a bit like a weird power fantasy you made up"?

Well they're in prisons, so I bet people here wouldn't be too surprised if the article was about a male ring of inmate sec workers. But that's just one other stereotype in its own way.

Well they're in prisons, so I bet people here wouldn't be too surprised if the article was about a male ring of inmate sec workers. But that's just one other stereotype in its own way.

Well, yeah, that's true. It is a stereotype.

But it's also a completely different thing to the guards sex working with inmates as clients. I just don't see the benefit.

Don't get your trans panties in a bunch. If the guy's story is in fact true than the inmates/ staff would be paying at least 10x what they would be paying for a prostitute on the streets. Just like for the pouches of tobacco. The alleged prostitutes' income be be dwarfed by comparison. That would be motivation enough. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

Even poor people sometimes pay the high prices in jail. The result is that they have a debt that is either payed to a gang on the outside when they are released or through sodom payment while in prison.

Obviously you...

"Trans panties"?

Don't get your trans panties in a bunch. If the guy's story is in fact true than the inmates/ staff would be paying at least 10x what they would be paying for a prostitute on the streets. Just like for the pouches of tobacco. The alleged prostitutes' income be be dwarfed by comparison. That would be motivation enough.

The thing is, prison economies are primarily driven by barter. There's not a great deal of exchange for cash, because the cash has less value than the items. Currency, where it is exchanged, is actually devalued, because the inflated value of things like tobacco and fits and even chocolate is so great. Like I said, I'm not that familiar with the US prison system, but what I have read indicates it operates in a similar fashion to Australia.

Besides which, sex workers who work on the street are generally the lowest paid, but tend to do significantly more individual sessions than sex workers who work indoors. That's what makes it possible to get by on such a low per session price (plus no overheads like rent or advertising).

I just don't see people in a correctional centre with limited access to cash, who primarily trade commodities instead of dollars, being able to offer the rates a woman with an existing wage would charge, OR enough regular jobs to make working for a low per session rate worth the woman's time at all. It doesn't make economic sense, and there's no other reason to do it.

Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

Because it doesn't align with my head full of knowledge about prison socioeconomic structures OR the reasons sex workers give for doing their jobs.

Even poor people sometimes pay the high prices in jail. The result is that they have a debt that is either payed to a gang on the outside when they are released or through sodom payment while in prison.

Again, that doesn't align with the Australian prison system at all. But I acknowledge that there may be things I don't know about the US system (such as the role of 'gangs').

"Sodom payment", to use your (weird) turn of phrase, is a much rarer phenomenon than is commonly believed by straight men trying to scare each other away from prison.

I don't know what prison you went to but IME you have to always keep in mind the sodomy thing when incarcerated. Granted I don't know what he means with "payment" but rape is just one of the bad things people will do to you in there just because they can get away with it.

"Sodom payment", to use your (weird) turn of phrase, is a much rarer phenomenon than is commonly believed by straight men trying to scare each other away from prison.

Yeah I read something recently about the Aus jails and that most sex inside is consensual.

Yeah I read something recently about the Aus jails and that most sex inside is consensual.

I've only read one study, and it was based on Q&A reporting with the inmates (so underreporting may be an issue), but the study found that both consensual sex and sexual assault happened far less frequently than the researchers expected. Like, single digits kind of thing.

I can't remember how frequently they "expected" it to happen or what the actual percentage of inmates who reported it was, though - I'll see if I can find the study.