• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

of Pregnancy and Pot

Ubi

Bluelighter
Interested in views regarding this touchy subject from you fine folks here at Bluelight.

Lots of discussion going on out there on the internet, various degrees, various places; so , what say ye? Do You think it's alright for Mumsies to be to have the odd medicinal toke to soothe things like nausea, anxiety, pain relief throughout a pregnancy so long as the product is clean?, meaning, no added crap..

curious.

I don't have any clue how marijuana use might effect a developing fetus, so my ignorance on the subject leads me to err on the side of caution and say no... no, I don't think it's okay, but it's not my place to tell anyone how to live their life so I also wouldn't think less of a pregnant woman if they had the occasional session whilst pregnant. I wouldn't feel good about it in my presence, I know that for sure.

I don't have any clue how marijuana use might effect a developing fetus, so my ignorance on the subject leads me to err on the side of caution and say no... no, I don't think it's okay, but it's not my place to tell anyone how to live their life so I also wouldn't think less of a pregnant woman if they had the occasional session whilst pregnant. I wouldn't feel good about it in my presence, I know that for sure.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. There are not sufficient studies and I wouldn't feel good about it.

For sure.

Not a doctor do not take my post as advice

I read in hightimes that a medical study concluded that when researching mothers who consumed pot vs mothers who had not, that the kids whose mother's smoked pot had higher IQ's.
Now I would not take that as concrete, as many factors could have been at play.
However personally I wouldn't think it was anymore harmful than tobacco, which is harmful, but I would except it over most pharmaceuticals.
Personally I would have a problem with it, but then again I would probably be the most annoying expectant father.

No it's not OK to smoke pot, or use other drugs while you're pregnant.

It's just herb, you seriously can't give up smoking it or using all drugs for 9 months for the sake of your kid?

Of course.. If you having problems over THIS, I imagine how's gonna be when this baby needs you 24/7.

I'm not a doctor, but abstaining for 9 months and maybe being slightly more miserable I think is worth to give your child their best chance at a life long bill of good health. I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if I did decide to smoke while pregnant, and my kid ended up with a birth defect (which may or may not been from cannabis, but at least if it did happen you knew you did everything you could to prevent it.) just my .02 and I wish you the best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Personally, I do not like pot. It stinks, it tastes gross to me..and when I did do it in high school the 10-20 times or so, it didn't really give me the high I wanted or like (now that I have tried other things). Its just not my thing. Now for the pregnancy part, I have been pregnant and it was hell. I HATED being pregnant, its painful, your feet hurt, your back hurts excruciatingly, your hips hurt - everything fucking hurts! On top of all that pain, there are crazy hormones. I was a complete crazy bitch when I was pregnant..I mean I look back on all the things I said and did and I think "Was that really me?" lol So in conclusion, even though I hate pot, I would smoke it (if it was shown to be safe) when Im pregnant because PREGNANCY SUCKS! But, IMO I don't think it could be safe for the baby..I just cant imagine it being safe for a developing fetus and there isn't enough studies on it.

But the thing about not having enough studies on smoking pot while pregnant..a lot of medications (like pills) say it isn't safe to take while pregnant either. Some really are not safe and some just say that for liability reasons. For example, Ambien-it says do not take while pregnant/nursing. I reasearched the hell out of it while I was pregnant and it said the only reason it says that is because there specifically has not been enough studies on pregnant women and fetuses to prove its unsafe or safe. Well, I took ambien during my pregnancy because during the pregnancy I had major anxiety which hurt my sleep and towards the end I was getting no sleep due to all the pain and my baby is beautiful and completely healthy:)

I guess, you just have to be honest with yourself. Will you take that risk? Is the pain that bad you "need" something for it? Is the risk worth it? If something did affect your baby, would you be willing to love that baby no matter what? It is important for the mother to keep sanity while pregnant for sure..if you are losing your sanity emotionally and its really affecting your body badly physically..then I think that's a pretty big factor.

I'd say this needs filed under the, not enough research to know for sure, like a lot of medical pot questions. Pregnancy is a very chemically and emotionally unstable time in a woman's life though, kudos to them all for going through it for us sons and husbands.

pretty much where I'm at too.

I don't know enough to say for certain, or even begin to speculate on how it will impact someone else's life. I'm not here to judge anyone, but I do think it a bit selfish/irresponsible of the parents/mother for doing so. What is to gain is that the mother would get enjoyment out of smoking, what is to lose potentially is the child's ability to learn, develop, and interact with the world. How others raise their kids is mostly up to them(states do have laws tho) but I know for my childrens' sake, I'd like to keep all drugs including weed and pharmaceuticals as far away as possible. I'm no saint by any means, but I would like to give my children the best shot of being happy and successful in their lives and I know how drugs have impacted my own life.

All that being said, when I consider the mountains of drugs that some doctors put pregnant women on- a small toke might not be the worst thing ever. I'm not a woman and I can't imagine what it'd be like to have a baby growing inside of you, but I imagine quite a bit of discomfort is involved.

I'm not a doctor, but abstaining for 9 months and maybe being slightly more miserable I think is worth to give your child their best chance at a life long bill of good health. I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if I did decide to smoke while pregnant, and my kid ended up with a birth defect (which may or may not been from cannabis, but at least if it did happen you knew you did everything you could to prevent it.) just my .02 and I wish you the best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

I agree. Life is hard as it is, no need to complicate this. You as a mother will want the very best to your child. As a parent you find yourself sometimes almost silly saying things that really does not interfere with your kids health as you may think, but it's your guts trying to protect. It will come to you.

Yeah not a good idea. I don't see how any type of mind altering chemical could be okay for a developing fetus. It's really just not even worth the risk.

Thank you kindly folks. Fully understood. Risks from stress levels, severe nausea, lack of appetite also have possible harmful effects on the fetus. Personally, if baby Mama is in the throes of nastiness and baby's struggling with body weight, if Mom has some safely home grown light weight old school cannabis and a vaporizer, I'd say have a wee toke over the pharms any day of the week. I am not saying toke often, I am saying a wee toke to get back the appetite and ease the nausea is a natural method preferred by many....
But again I stress, lightweight home grown low THC content on the low end of moderation.
Anyway, people will always get up in arms over what they think best regarding this. Understandable. WE all get protective over babies in bellies... It be a human thing
thank you all for your feedback. Greatly appreciated.

I copies and pasted this more recent study done with the Rhesus Monkey's. It is sad the baby monkeys were sacrificed; indeed it is quite but here's what the scientists found out on the topic.

["I]THE FACTS
There is no evidence that marijuana impairs male reproductive functioning. The Jamaican and Costa Rican field studies detected no differences in hormone levels between marijuana users and non- users. In epidemiological surveys of marijuana users, no problems with fertility have emerged as important.

The claim that marijuana impairs female reproductive functioning in humans has no support in the scientific literature. There have been no epidemiological studies indicating diminished fertility in female users of marijuana, and a recent survey found no impact of chronic marijuana use on female sex hormones.

CLAIM #7: MARIJUANA USE DURING PREGNANCY HARMS THE FETUS
A powerful accusation in anti-drug campaigns is that children are permanently harmed by their mothers' use of drugs during pregnancy. Today, it is commonly claimed that marijuana is a cause of birth defects and development deficits.

THE FACTS
A number of studies reported low birth weight and physical abnormalities among babies exposed to marijuana in utero. However, when other factors known to affect pregnancy outcomes were controlled for-for example, maternal age, socio-economic class, and alcohol and tobacco use-the association between marijuana use and adverse fetal effects disappeared.

Numerous other studies have failed to find negative impacts from marijuana exposure.

In another study, standardized IQ tests were administered to marijuana- exposed and unexposed 3 year-olds. Researchers found no differences in the overall scores.

CLAIM #8: MARIJUANA CAUSES BRAIN DAMAGE
Critics state that marijuana damages brain cells and that this damage, in turn, causes memory loss, cognitive impairment, and difficulties in learning.

THE FACTS
The original basis of this claim was a report that, upon post-mortem examination, structural changes in several brain regions were found in two rhesus monkeys exposed to THC. However, to achieve these results, massive doses of THC-up to 200 times the psychoactive dose in humans-had to be given. In fact, studies employing 100 times the human dose have failed to reveal any damage.

In the most recently published study, rhesus monkeys, through face-mask inhalation, were exposed to the equivalent of 4-5 joints per day for an entire year. When sacrificed seven months later, there was no observed alteration of hippocampal architecture, cell size, cell number, or synaptic configuration. The authors conclude that: "while behavioral and neuroendocrinal effects were observed during marijuana smoke exposure in the monkey, residual neuropathological and neurochemical effects of marijuana exposure were not observed seven months after the year-long marijuana smoke regimen."

While there is general agreement that, while under the influence of marijuana, learning is less efficient, there is no evidence that marijuana users-even long-term users-suffer permanent impairment. Indeed, numerous studies comparing chronic marijuana users with non-user controls have found no significant differences in learning, memory recall, or other cognitive functions.

CLAIM #9: MARIJUANA IS AN ADDICTIVE DRUG
It is now frequently stated that marijuana is profoundly addicting and that any increase in prevalence of use will lead inevitably to increases in addiction.

THE FACTS
Essentially all drugs are used in "an addictive fashion" by some people. However, for any drug to be identified as highly addictive, there should be evidence that substantial numbers of users repeatedly fail in their attempts to discontinue use and develop use-patterns that interfere with other life activities.

National epidemiological surveys show that the large majority of people who have had experience with marijuana do not become regular users.[/I]"

I got this info from here. "exposing marijuana myths: a review of the scientific evidence" on the ol web. People are interested. This plant has too many medicinal properties to be so railroaded.
anyway, take it as you may and have a nice day

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that it can be foolish to stop at the first piece of evidence you find that happens to say what you want it to say. Keep searching, and don't disregard scholarly articles simply because they state the opposite of the information you may be seeking.

I understand the desire for justification. Best of luck if you happen to be pregnant.

http://norml.org/about/item/breathe-push-puff-pot-use-and-pregnancy-a-review-of-the-literature

That would be a good place to start (especially the references listed.) It's fairly old, though, from around 2007.

I think a "medicinal toke" for things like nausea and pain relief is ok, it may be even better than other drugs used for that kind of things (pharmaceuticals).
It's relatively benign for the fetus (as far as we know) but a large amount of smoke can't be that good, switching to edibles and vaporizing may be the best choice if you don't want, or can't for some particular reason, to stop consuming cannabis. I'm sure a lot of possible side effects could be reduced by not smoking and consuming weed only when you really need it.
Sometimes things like stress can have a negative impact on the fetus, so if a small amount of cannabis helps you with that then it may be a good alternative, just an example.

I always figured in moderate amounts, cannabis wasn't very/at all harmful for an unborn child.
It just came to thought though; since the mother and the fetus are indeed sharing everything that ends up in the bloodstream... Would a baby "feel" the effects? Would that cause psychological issues maybe? (assuming no physical issues are present)

I really hope as we open up our minds about cannabis, we will push for more scientific studies regarding marijuana's effects on the body