• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

do you ever give homeless people money?

I have no problem offering up a few bucks or a bite to eat. I"ve seen my share of people sleeping on benches or pushing carts and it breaks my heart. Not everyone is a scam artist and bad shit happens. If some small kindness on my part can change someone's day, at least for a moment, I want to do that.

I have no problem offering up a few bucks or a bite to eat. I?ve seen my share of people sleeping on benches or pushing carts and it breaks my heart. Not everyone is a scam artist and bad shit happens. If some small kindness on my part can change someone?s day, at least for a moment, I want to do that.

^^^
This

You are indeed a very wise woman!

I have no problem offering up a few bucks or a bite to eat. I"ve seen my share of people sleeping on benches or pushing carts and it breaks my heart. Not everyone is a scam artist and bad shit happens. If some small kindness on my part can change someone's day, at least for a moment, I want to do that.

Good on you. :)

I might have mentioned this previously, but just in case I didn't. The only problem with offering panhandlers food is everyone has the same idea. So you can end up with more than enough food but not enough money for things like transport. Or, food but food at times when you're not begging. Not to mention that our biggest problem with being given stuff that wasn't money or gift cards was being able to carry it. And the dangers of being seen getting rid of it if carrying it was simply not feasible.

I've thought about it a lot. And I truly think giving money is the best option. But if you absolutely just can't stand the possibility of that money going to say, drugs. Gift cards are probably the next best option. They aren't perfect either, but no option is perfect.

People would buy me food all the time and it created lots of problems. Some food items, bottle water especially was too hard to carry.

But throwing it away is dangerous if the wrong person sees.

You can ask the panhandlers if they want food, but they might well say yes even if they don't, because again, saying no is risking the person thinking you're running a scam, and saying yes opens the possibility of them offering money later on. So they might not tell you the truth if you ask even if it's really not for drugs.

Having thought a LOT about this issue and having been a panhandler. I've come to the conclusion that there is no ideal option and no way to be sure you aren't helping a drug habit. So, either don't help at all, or my preferred option, help everyone. Yes some of them will be using the money for drugs, but some won't. Wouldn't you rather help both than neither? I would.

There's no perfect option. Giving gift cards is a smart one but you can still sell them for money. Giving food has all the above problems.

One of the best options if your public transport system uses prepaid cards is to donate one of them.

Even though we panhandler to support our drug habit, prepaid cards for public transport were always used for transport. It's not worth it to try and sell them cause we lost a lot of money on public transport costs anyway. Phone credit was another one. We'd always use that ourselves rather than trying to turn it into money. And these days contrary to the opinions of morons, most homeless have phones. Credit however is another story.

Of course while we were supporting our drug habits, we really did have nothing. Someone doing it to support their drug habit who had access to a car would be a different story.

I have given money... but usually I prefer to buy food... If I give cash 1-3 dollars is fine.... but I usually ask people if I can give them some food, or buy them a meal... if they immediately reject that... I usually let them go on about their day.

Which is why those of us who know what we're doing never reject offers of food. Even if we have way too much food already. We know you're likely to react that way. So we say yes in the hope that it'll increase the odds of getting you to give money later down the line. Even if we already have more food than we can eat. Even if you're not panhandling purely for the money, you'll still say yes if you know what you're doing. Even if someone else just bought you food minutes ago and you're not hungry and can't keep the food anyway. Because saying no will likely result in you not offering next time when we really are hungry.

Which is quite wasteful. So I wouldn't call that a particularly helpful strategy for anyone.

People think panhandling is easy. It's not, not if you wanna do it successfully. Like any job there's a lot to know about how to do. It's harder than it looks.

When I was doing it, everything we might have said to you, everything about how we were doing it right down to the last detail was engineered to increase the odds of you giving and giving money. No matter if you do it for drugs or not, if you want to do it successfully, you have no choice but to manipulate people.

Id even tell people some of the tricks sometimes, and that in itself was another trick. A strategy used to get you to feel that I've taken you into my confidence and increase your trust to make you more likely to trust me when I start having to lie.

If you ask me if I do drugs, I might even partially admit to it depending on how I've gauged your personality. Knowing that you're likely to think that I'd either deny ever using drugs at all and be lying. Or admit to having used drugs in the past but don't much anymore and be telling the truth.

So when I do have to lie, you're more likely to believe it. And that I've determined that you're not likely to be concerned about what I've admitted to, but assumed that if I were lying I wouldn't have said it. Even the material the bowl that the money was put in was chosen specifically to make the right sound and be loud enough to prompt others. Everything engineered to work you.

I'm not proud of it. But you gotta understand, even if you're just poor and not using drugs at all. The ultimate goal is money. Money is something that can be used later and for anything. We can't spend ALL our time begging. In order to best get what we need, regardless of if it's drugs or food or other things you need when you're homeless and in poverty. Nothing is going to be more useful than money. So that's what we're trying to get.

It's unfortunate that it has to involve so much dishonesty and manipulation, but that's what you do when you feel you have no other choice.

I'm not trying to convince you not to give money to panhandlers. Im trying to get you to see that even if it looks like a scam it might not be, and vice versa. and that if your concern is aiding people feeding a drug habit, to see that it's still better you help them and people not using drugs than helping neither.

It's not mutually exclusive. When I was doing it, I was homeless, I had nothing. I wasn't exactly getting in a car and going home at the end of the day to watch Netflix or something. But yes, i was trying to feed my heroin habit. And if I hadn't been able to get money that way I'd have been doing something worse. Pretty much everyone I knew doing this sort of thing for drugs did it so they didn't have to steal (for boys) or prostitute (for girls) instead.

I honestly think that giving money is a better outcome for everyone involved no matter if it's to drug addicts, homeless, or homeless drug addicts.

Last edited:
Wise words Jess, I too have been there, and also worse, and you said it better than I ever could.

I don't know any real homeless people. I know people that leave their living situation because they don't like rules. But yes I have given them more than money, I've given them time, respect, trust, a chance, jobs, places to crash, a ride.

They are pretty normal people that just slipped through the cracks or had no family. Alot of the ones I've met weren't even on any government assistance, they just can't fit into society consistently

Lots of mental disorders
Alot of us could have been right there if things were different

No i don't as I need every penny for drugs as much as the professional beggers do also I would never beg anyone for anything when I've been homeless I got by without begging there are services that help with food etc and if I was that desperate I would just shoplift my food

I always go out of my way to give homeless money, like I saw another guy say I'm deathly afraid of becoming homeless my self , I'm a recovering fyntinol addict myself and I just have a heart , I don't worry about wat they are gtto do with the money 90 percent of homeless are on drugs so I don't quistion it.. I don't pick apart whom I'm giving to or move on to the next guy I think needs it more , if I'm giving it's at that moment who ever is there gets it no matter wat they r going to do with it.. see thru my addiction money was NEVER an issue I have been blessed with my own business and make great money I was very functioning addict and it was just not an issue for me THO it very easily could had been so I was never homeless I never went without which I think was worse and made it even harder to Stop .. I am on methodone, I live out in the country in Ohio and Columbus is an epicenter of fyntinol, I tested positive for fyntinol just smoking weed someone had so it's literally in everything here ...