• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Cycling off Hydromorphone and on to.....?

Birc0014

Bluelighter
I have been taking Hydromorph for about three months and have had my script upped twice, I am also taking 600mg of Lyrica daily. Trying to keep my narco use to nights only so it doesnt fuck my life up too much.

I would like to know what might be a good sub for the Hydromorph? Any experiences with similar narcotics in terms of strenghth and lenghth? I would like to get off this and on to something else within a couple weeks.

haha i dont actually know.."pms-hydromorphone" is that quick release?

Hey, man, I don't mean to insult your intelligence in any way, but google is your friend. Type the shape and more importantly, the numbers of the pills in question and boom, answers.

Hydromorphone is up there in terms of pain care in the USA, that is, it's a league above hydrocodone or oxycodone. It appears that these pills are quick release. If one should choose to abuse hydromorphone, the possibilities are endless. IV use is amazing with a higher bioavailability. Hydromorphone is a lot like morphine in that the bioavailability is all over the place.

If you're not abusing these pills and using them for genuine pain, you might prefer an extended release painkiller as the legs of hydromorphone are relatively short in comparison to other common opioids.

Bioavailability
Oral: 30–35%, Intranasal: 52–58% ref. wikipdedia

Thanks for your response, I should have googled it but I was relatively sure it was quick release to begin with, I think I have just hit the roof with this med...I routinely run out before refill and there are some pretty strict guidelines surrounding narcos in Canada so its not a good situation. I dont shoot but I do understand this is the holy grail of IV abuse pills unfortuantely that leaves me pretty well fucked on a shit bioavalibility of 30%. Insulffation isnt much better either, I think 52-58% is too generous, its a shame that this drug has so much unlocked potential for a non IV user. I am aware that hydromorph is something like 8x more potent than morphine but its just not doing it for me anymore.

Point being I want off of this med and on to another that I can responsibly abuse until I hit another roof. I only use at night as otherwise I wouldnt be able to get anything done.

Just looking for input on alternatives from people that may have swtiched off this drug and onto something else, or have experience with similar opiates.

The next logical step from hydromorphone is oxymorphone. From what I've read, oxymorphone can cause opioid tolerance to skyrocket so you might not want to bark up that tree.

Rectal administration is a good idea for the meantine. You'll get the highest bioavailability short of intravenous injection. Use a small amount of water, 5-10mls is usually sufficient, hydromorphones dissolve remarkably easy.

Yeah plugging it doesnt do shit for bioavalibility ime ..... :X

As for the oxymorphone is it only available in slow acting or time release? I understand that oxycodone is sought by drug abusers so is basically red flagged which for me almost certainly means unavailable as my md is a bitch

Keep in mind, that oxymorphone and oxycodone are different substances. I'd say that since they made Opana (Oxymorphone) ER's near impossible to IV safely, you have in your hands the most sought after and abusable opioid currently around... instant release hydromorphone

Well I would trade it in a heart beat for something that actually relieves my pain. I get that its potent as all hell but being able to sleep through a night without waking up five or six times in incredible pain is becoming unfuckingbearable. I also have been blessed with an MD who (correctly) has classified me as an at risk substance abuser so wont entertain the idea I am actually looking for pain relief as opposed to a rec drug. I wont lie its nice to have the best of both worlds but again I would drop the rec value for something that gives me a pain free night

I get 2mg hydromorphone all the time. If you got abit of a tolerance I find 8-10mg plugged is a pretty good buzz. You probably just aren't plugging enough

Haha, your doctor recognises you as at risk of abusing substances & then gives you IR Dilaudid?? Must be deluded. Did he come bottom of his class?? Sorry, enough of that.

In terms of pain relief,-Hydromorph in either version, IR or ER, did zero IME. Orally.

Have you tried anything else? I'd gather not since it's only been three mths. In terms of risk reduction usually a long-acting opiate/opioid is prescribed, which is available in most if not all of this class of drug. Someone cmiiw, I'm not in the states.

The ER version would ideally cover your pain well & generally an IR would also be taken in the case of BT pain. This would be what you'd be able to easily abuse if you so wished.

Oxycontin while not the strength of Hydromorphone, the dose simply needs to be recalculated, for myself, is a superior pain-reliever & doesn't give me the lethargy I tend to feel from the Morphine/morphone group. Although I understand Oxy is being prescribed less & less, worldwide.

Fentynal patches are much stronger, & Doctors seem to think less abusable option. For purely pain relief, some ppl find Buprenorphine helpful, though IMHO, depending on the dose needed, the analgesia is not sufficient. Methadone, while now widely prescribed for chronic pain, I won't touch it,- not one to play around with.

I find it curious that your doctor initially began you on Hydromorph, but I guess I'm only speculating as we don't know that. It's kinda middle of the ladder regarding opiate analgesia, there's not a whole lot further you can go. You must have severe pain. Please don't let this scare you though, it's not as though there's a ceiling effect...well, unless your doctor is morally opposed.

Good luck,

Rtp

Try the tried and true Morphine Sulfate. She's always been sweet to me in terms of analgesia. I've heard Methadone is king for pain relief, but I've never tried it and the dependence would be atrocious.

King For 8-12 Hours of Pain relief for methadone and then NO RE-DOSING And Unless your on super low dose like 25 mg pils they give a day for pain after 8-12 hours u take some Oxy or some shit Hydros because it is not Safe to Re-Dose Methadone Any Sooner then 24 Hours Clinically and therapeutically Speaking Form A Harm-Reduction Medical Stand-Point Of View.

If titrated properly it can be dosed 3 times daily. You just have to start with 2mg pills with a different breakthrough med and work your way up, hopefully not getting past 10mg TID.