• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What's all the fuss about opiates?

supersoup

Bluelighter
Overall, I've probably had around 10 total experiences taking opiates (oxy and morphine). I'm always reading on here about how great opiates are, but they've always just seemed 'eh' to me. The most I've felt was a very slightly lifted mood, a slight lightness in my limbs when moving around, and tiredness. I've never felt any significant euphoria at all. I've never taken any very large doses - 40mg of oxy, or 20mg of oxy +30mg of morphine were probably my biggest. When I took the oxy and morphine, my friend took equal amounts of the same, and he was nodding out (and eventually throwing up), and I just felt a little bit relaxed! He weighs about 20 pounds less than me, but he also has more experience and more tolerance with opiates. Do I have a natural tolerance to opiates (if that's even a thing)? Or am I just missing the point about what's so great about them?

Everyone's body chemistry is different. Yes, some people do not react to opiates, or have a natural tolerance. I have somewhat of a natural tolerance, my very first time trying hydrocodone I swallowed 15mg and didn't feel anything, and didn't a handful of times after that. Even the first time I snorted 20mg of oxy, I didn't feel it. Nowadays, because I was so determined to understand opiates, I finally started to recognize the feeling (even though I always needed 3x the amount of my friends) and am now in a state of mind where there's little I'd rather do than chill on some opium. I am now a daily kratom (opioid) user and have been for years, which I'm thankful for because I could very easily be addicted to something worse. I went through a mean opium tea binge and that got me in a bad way. Any time my friend sends me a text every few months that he's got V's, I can't resist, I buy a few hundred dollars worth and they're gone in a week. Opiates are serious stuff.

Trust me, it's a blessing in disguise that you aren't getting off on them. You can't miss something you never liked. You can't obsess over something that is "Meh" to you. You won't throw away your entire life over something that gave you a "slight mood lift".

Blessing. Period.

Opiates are so dangerous because they seem to get better everytime u do them. I agree u not liking opiates is a blessing. For me its almost like sitting wrapped up in a warm blanket. U feel so comfortable and at peace. U can't think about your problems because u simply cant think anything at all. Its like u get a break from life your so zoned in your own world NOTHING else matters u don't care about anything. Not a thing in the world

OP, some people don't metabolize codeine and for that matter 'codones. Oxycodone causes a slight mood lift, anxiolysis, etc. but doesn't get me fucked up in the way morphines/phones seem to. The first time I had a shot of heroin, I realized that I had never actually experienced true opiatedness.

Morphine sustained release tablets are shit, they are not a true opiate experience.

Brain chemistry, it makes all the difference.

I've always been a firm believer that those who don't have a lot of natural dopamine enjoy opiates more. However, once we become addicts, I feel we have altered the natural dopamine receptors so much, we actually damage them.

It's not that something is wrong with you...perhaps you haven't dosed high/long enough to actually hit that euphoria level. And to be honest, if you're a naturally happy person, I wouldn't attempt to alter that with opiates .. You'll regret it later.

Op, consider yourself lucky, and stop dabbling. Don't try "figure out" what the fuss is all about, because once you do, you've opened a door you won't be able to close again.

There's a whole wide world of wonderful substances out there - please don't pursue your curiosity further.

Peace.

Maybe you didn't take enough? My guess because one of my best friends was the same way for our whole lives wouldn't even take an Advil for headaches...

Up until he turned 28.. And broke his hand and decided to take a few more..

Now he's sitting in the county for jumping into work vans, putting a pistol in their face robbing them.. Paper, plastic.. Even gift cards.. Yeah last I hears he's getting like 8-25 years for 3 felony 1s 2 felony 2s and a bunch of other lower felony and misdemeanor charges.. I think he's pleading to 11 or 14

So if you think u don't want anything to do with them. Good stay away.. Coming from a former hardcore H addict for 3 years

Lots of good info up above. Body chemistry all being different. The way we metabolize things. Yadda yadda. A ton of people have said pain meds make them puke and they dont like them. For me, opiates were a god send. At first I'd just get warm and fall asleep. But not long after that phase the euphoria kicked in, things were much more interesting and I was just chill. The feeling was great. Then I got IV Dilaudid during my stem cell transplant, and WOW. It was heaven. The dumbest show could be on tv and Id be content and interested. It was kind of scary though when Id get random cravings for it like 6 months after I last had it. It eventually became my downfall. I'd say feel lucky that opiates arent your thing! They will eventually get ya if youre into them.

Thanks everyone for the good information. The last time I tried opiates was about 2 weeks ago and it was probably my best experience so far (still not great), but I figured it was because I combined it with 2-FA; however, it could be that they get better the more times you do them, as someone mentioned above. I only have two 20mg oxycodones left and no way of getting more, so I'm going to take those and see how I feel. Thanks once again. Opiate addiction is scary shit.

I love codeine. Haha. 60mg and I'm tucked up in bed with a book for the night

Although I've been dependent on opioids for almost 11 years now, I don't really regret that I'd started taking them and I don't even regret getting addicted to them. Yes, I'm still on Suboxone and I wish I were already off it, but the extremes I experienced during the addiction and the period after switching to buprenorphine and also quitting benzodiazepines made me learn so much about myself and the world around me that although I'm a changed person for good, I'm sure I wouldn't have done any better and I'm sure I would have lost the way in my life later on anyway and perhaps it could have been much worse. That is definitely not to say any person could benefit in the same magical way as for most getting addicted to opioids is the beginning of the end of everything.

Lol the 'fuss' is the millions of people that have to start depending on opiates because it's the best thing that they can feel. I.E there is no better feeling than heroin - anyone who has tried it. Haha

it's hit and miss, if you don't enjoy opiates count yourself fortunate.

OP, some people don't metabolize codeine and for that matter 'codones. Oxycodone causes a slight mood lift, anxiolysis, etc. but doesn't get me fucked up in the way morphines/phones seem to.

Morphine sustained release tablets are shit, they are not a true opiate experience.

Just try IR morph and you'll realize its pretty much the same?

And opiates... If you don't find anything special about them - don't keep trying them to figure it out. Or else it'll be too late. :(

Count yourself lucky that you dont my friend, I was prescribed them for pain, then wadda, addiction, you are one of the lucky ones, stay away from the things Xxx

Different people have different classes of drugs as their first choice. For example, most people seem to fall in the upper or downer category. It could be that opiates are just not your thing. Luckily for me, they weren't mine either as I never got addicted to heroin or oxycontin (despite trying them each more than once) like so many others. Set and setting also play a role. I can't say the say thing about uppers, unfortunately.