• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Well THAT was stupid...(methadone)

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I didn't sleep at all last night, and also was feeling quite a bit shittier than usual this morning; I take my methadone at around 8:30-10:30, but must be a fast metabolizer since I often feel a low level of withdrawal encroaching by the 24 hour mark and sometimes earlier. I'm on a very high dose of 220 mg for the reason I stated above (fast metabolism, still experience some withdrawal so I'm never covered 24/7). My doctor thought it was a good idea to keep bumping me up since I kept getting sick fairly quickly despite not taking any other illegal drugs for months. It was always the same thing though; I'd be bumped up by 10 mg, feel better for the next few days, then start feeling the same way I did before on most mornings no matter WHAT the dose seems to be :( I likely could have had the same effects with a doe of 70-80 mg, or even less but it's too late now. It DOES work exceptionally well for me. and I',m very grateful that it's given me my life back and completely stopped me from using not just opiates, but ALL other drugs as well (which I consumed often - particularly coke/crack - simply because of the lifestyle I was living and people I was meeting, though I've never had any affinity for any chemical but opiates, and possibly very minor with benzos).

Anyway, I went to the pharmacy this morning as usual, drank my 220 mg Methadose, and took home a 220 mg carry for tomorrow. Since I was pretty bleh this morning, you can probably guess what happened next. I decided it couldn't hurt to take just a small sip from tomorrow's dose, thinking the extra bump will help for today, yet leave me with enough for tomorrow such that I wouldn't feel at all sick until the next day at the very least. The problem - my little sip turned out to be about 15 mL (150 mg) judging by the measured mark on the outside of the bottle. So today's dose ended up being around 370 mg instead of my usual 220, leaving me with only 70 left for tomorrow O_O.

Here's the thing: taking the extra methadone is NOT the problem. My body is so resistant to opiates that I would probably get high from the weaponized Fentanyl the Chechen rebels used in the Russian theater crisis which killed hundreds of people. Even now, well after having taken that dose, I do feel the increase, but believe it or not I still have slightly larger than normal pupils and am a bit sweaty. I swear to God, I have no idea what the fuck my body thinks it's doing when it comes to this drug, since sometimes my normal dose has me feeling energized and buzzed all day, while another day I barely feel it and wake up sneezing. No, my concern is what's going to happen tomorrow with only 70 mg to take when I'm accustomed to 220 (or even more assuming that extra dose today increased my tolerance even slightly). Like may addicts, I have developed a pathological fear of withdrawal and the effect it has on me physically, but especially psychologically. I feel detached, like I've been poisoned, as if nothing is real, unable to leave my bed or eat, etc. etc. and of course I can't get my next dose until Thursday at 8:30 am.

My question is. what kind of withdrawal and severity of said withdrawal would I likely expect to have to deal with tomorrow? I know that everybody is different of course, and that for many people, they wouldn't even START experiencing withdrawal by taking just one day off. But I'm really freaking out over it now since I don't even feel fully right now after having taken freaking 370, and would likely be somewhat sick by tomorrow morning anyway. With an almost 48 hour wait until I can take my next full dose, can anyone please tell me WHEN and HOW I should take the 70 mg or so I have left in order to minimize the pain? Has anyone else pulled stupid shit like this before? I swear, I have no self control whatsoever when it comes to having drugs of any kind in my posession, and was better off in many ways when I had to go get daily witnesses. Despite the mild inconvenience, I never had to worry about serious withdrawal and always knew that I would be able to simply redose the next morning. This fact alone all but eliminated any psychological aspects of withdrawal.

Thanks guys :) Sorry this ended up being so long.

Last paragraph is the bottom line, if anyone can please offer their input!

I got a solid laugh out of your comment regarding the Chechen/Moscow Theater Crisis. Alas, weapon grade fentanyl gas is proabably the only thing that could blast through a tolerance that high. I've been as high as 120mg MMT and have shot bundles, bags, raw .8g shots etc and nothing came close to getting me the opiate high I was looking for. If you do manage to break through the tolerance, all you're going to get is a stronger urge to take a nap.

If I understand you correctly, you're going to be able to resume normal dosing at your clinic. The situation could be a lot worse (jail, 0mgs methadone per day w/ a side of iburprofen). You know yourself better than anybody on here, so your best bet is to do a little math and consume your last dose of methadone when you will get the most relief from it and when it will be most useful in terms of bridging the gap to your return to the clinic.

Tapering and titrating with drugs is hard when you're a drug addict. Pick the most opportune time to consume that dose and try your best to stick to that time. I know that if you're like me, you're going to finish reading this blurb and convince yourself that now is the best time.

With that said, for myself, and for a lot of people, withdrawal from methadone doesn't really kick in until the 72 hour mark. You are a rapid metabolizer, maybe you'll hit "full stride" at about 36 hours. It might be painful, but find some comfort in knowing that you will be getting dosed at a certain time and place. It's there for you and all you have to do is wait. Don't try to convince yourself of any stupid ideas like getting dope, you know it won't touch you where you're at, save the money and use it for rent.

I lived with someone who was on 200mg a day from the clinic. Honestly methadone is a fuckin joke, Its ridicules the government does this shit. The guy I was living with was soo strung out on methadone, worst then when he was in active addiction. Constantly nodding the fuck out all day, totally worthless human being. Why they dont just do Subutex Clinics instead is beyond me, it'd be far more practical.

Last edited:
Have you tried the methadone pills? After reading about the liquid dose the past several days, I'm starting to believe the pills are more effective than the liquid.

It seems the body metabolizes the liquid quicker for some reason , because most of you seem to get sicker quicker and the high doses aren't holding you.

Have you tried split dosing? Half morning, half late evening? It seems with the pills, dosing twice daily holds off withdrawals. I dose 30mg my first few days coming off opanas ... 20mg in morning/10mg late evening (7pm) and it holds me well. This is coming from someone who can do 140mg of opana a day.

Good luck. Hope you find relief soon. Xox

Have you tried the methadone pills? After reading about the liquid dose the past several days, I'm starting to believe the pills are more effective than the liquid.

It seems the body metabolizes the liquid quicker for some reason , because most of you seem to get sicker quicker and the high doses aren't holding you.

Have you tried split dosing? Half morning, half late evening? It seems with the pills, dosing twice daily holds off withdrawals. I dose 30mg my first few days coming off opanas ... 20mg in morning/10mg late evening (7pm) and it holds me well. This is coming from someone who can do 140mg of opana a day.

Good luck. Hope you find relief soon. Xox
If you could get the pills prescribed obviously everyone would do it that way...But you can't. The only choice is liquid, unless you're buying it off the streets in which case defeats the purpose...

Well I guess for legit pain you can get a doctor to prescribe methadone pills, but not for addiction. If you're an addict u have to go to the clinic and get your dose.

I don't believe that there's any truth behind the "pills are stronger than liquid" phenomenon. I would never question the veracity of someone else's experience, but I've experienced both. Abused both, maintained on both, the only difference is a slight delay of onset when taking the pills vs. the liquid.

I think as addicts we like to muse on how "the man" in one form or another is secretly weakening our drugs and ultimately trying to bring us down. I believe this statement in a lot of ways. Methadone is controlled addiction in the USA. There's generally not much else to go with it in terms of ongoing care. I do believe that there would could be differences in the strength of syrup vs. pills, but that difference would have to be minute, in the realm of micrograms.

Liquids might absorb into your bloodstream faster. But even that'll depend on food and where in your guts the stuff gets absorbed. Most of the time I bet there's no difference.

Once it's in your blood, there's definitely no difference.

Pills are not stronger, but yes they may metabolize slower making them seem to be more drawn out in effect, which with something like methadone can be a big difference separating full relief from not enough

I was prescribed the pill for chronic pain and whem my doctor retired, the new one got cold feet and insisted I have the liquid.I did for about 2 months them just stopped. Anyway, IME there is zero difference. One isn't "stronger" than the other. They both deliver the same amount of the drug into your body. Even the time to kick in is negligible. As soon as the pills are in your stomach, The drug is effectively in liquid form anyway. People who have never had the pills seem to attach some kind of "super methadone" status to them which doesn't correspond to reality.

For pain relief I was prescribed methadone TDS (3 x per day) so never had the problem of making the dose last 24 hours (methadone pain relieving properties don't last as long as it's WD suppressing properties).

OP I think splitting your dose would work better for you than constantly upping the dose....220mg is a lot (I was on 180mg which was considered very large).

It was awhile ago and likely a one day issue so dont think OP needs answers. I wont close as perhaps others may find use here but it is beating a dead horse a bit.

It was awhile ago and likely a one day issue so dont think OP needs answers. I wont close as perhaps others may find use here but it is beating a dead horse a bit.

Wasn't that long ago and while admittedly what to do about the next days dose is over with, the discussion has been on completely different lines to his original question...Plus if he's still reading, the bit about asking if he can split his dose may still help him.

Wasn't that long ago and while admittedly what to do about the next days dose is over with, the discussion has been on completely different lines to his original question...Plus if he's still reading, the bit about asking if he can split his dose may still help him.

I think the issue is that it pushes new threads down the list for a 3 year old answer and the only new thing that was added was debating about the few mins difference between pills and liquid. Your comment was solid, it's just likely it will disappear off the page without doing much good. If it were serotonin syndrome or something besides "I sipped my take home a few hours early, will it be bad before I get more tomorrow? just doesn't seem bump worthy. Without your comment it would probably have been closed or archived as the main question was answered well and the rest was non HR liquid/pill debate. But again you at least left a helpful comment and gave it some more value.

I think the issue is that it pushes new threads down the list for a 3 year old answer and the only new thing that was added was debating about the few mins difference between pills and liquid. Your comment was solid, it's just likely it will disappear off the page without doing much good. If it were serotonin syndrome or something besides "I sipped my take home a few hours early, will it be bad before I get more tomorrow? just doesn't seem bump worthy. Without your comment it would probably have been closed or archived as the main question was answered well and the rest was non HR liquid/pill debate. But again you at least left a helpful comment and gave it some more value.

Ahh, sorry. For some strange reason I thought it was posted just the other day.. Didn't realise it was 3 years old!

Maybe I should have looked at the post date lol

Ahh, sorry. For some strange reason I thought it was posted just the other day.. Didn't realise it was 3 years old!

Maybe I should have looked at the post date lol

Nah your fine as there were 5 posts before yours including new mods, it just seems strange how these get resurrected sometimes. I think it's from a google search. I typed in tramadol & flexeril interaction in Bing and BL came up with bold text in a box just like wikipedia at the top of the Bing search engine with a link to a 7 year old thread. Sometimes they're good, sometimes not so much.

The trouble was it was revived so a brand new GL'er could write "This is exactly why I don?t want take-home bottles. I don?t trust myself... ���� ".

This is really Zephyr's fault. She graced our forum and I had to post afterward, what can I say.

Jekyl said:
I think the issue is that it pushes new threads down the list for a 3 year old answer and the only new thing that was added was debating about the few mins difference between pills and liquid.

Thing is, there haven't been a lot of threads to push down. And it sounds like the great conspiracy to force junkies to use a slightly slower-onset pharmaceutical is still raging outside clinics across the land.

But yeah it was a lame comment (no offense, welcome to Bluelight, Jane St. Clair, congrats on your first post. We're glad you found a thread to get you commenting).