Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Over thinking while tripping

Shaal

Bluelighter
Hello,

When I trip alone I tend to overthink, which can ruin my trip. For example I'm gonna start thinking about stuff in my life etc., which can sometimes even make me feel bad (add to this the racing + confused thoughts, and it can quickly become overwhelming). Or if I'm in public I'll be too self-conscious, for example last time I was wearing sunglasses and a scarf and a long dark coat, and I thought that people would notice something because of my strange (not so strange actually but I perceived it as strange) appearance, kind of like the guy that opens his coat to sell you some forbidden stuff, lol.

I tend to overthink in everyday life. Usually I solve this problem by reading or playing video games, or spending time with friends. When I trip with friends, I usually laugh my arse off, and I am at peace. But I'd like to be able to just explore my mind alone, without over-thinking. Or to trip in public, without fleeing people because I think they're going to notice something, which is probably wrong.

I feel like I want to discuss this. Is this common? For those to whom it happens, how do you guys cope with it?

Thanks!

enjoy your mind trip but don't trip on your mind.

A trip is a trip. Don't let your mind be fucked. Conquer your thoughts and take what you want from the psychedelic experience.

Over-thinking is when thought production and depth is increased. Mind-expanding drugs, even weed, are famous for this "introspection" as the psychonauts like to call it.

I do it all the time as well. My friends have frequently told me (after I've gone on a very in depth rant about something) that I overanalyze things too much. I dunno, I don't think there's necessarily such a thing as overthinking. Anything can be analyzed and turned into a theoretical construct of some sort, if it's interesting to you, why not? Sometimes I end up going in a huge loop building up a complicated idea only to later on realize I can summarize the whole thing in a much simpler way xD.

On psychedelics I could get to caught up in my thoughts and would feel a bit overwhelmed, with experience I learned how to cope with this though. For me it usually meant I had switch my attention from the inner to the outside world. Focus on really listening to the music or go into a different room and look at things.

Thanks for the very good advices guys! St3ve, my friends also tell me that! I've also been told that I'm too self-conscious.

Focus on really listening to the music or go into a different room and look at things.

I totally agree with this and I'm gonna use it next time. If it works in everyday life, it should work while tripping. I've actually used it before but not to a large extent. Last time, I tried to do this, but I was in a wrong mind-state and couldn't find the right music, they all had something wrong (too sad, too calm, too violent...). I also usually like to look at myself in a mirror in a dark room and observe the morphing / breathing / growing of hair beard etc. This time it also didn't work. So I went outside at the park to look at nature. But the thoughts didn't stop easily... For example I heard 3 very similar screams, from (1) a kid (2) a bird (3) a dog, in a very small time interval, and thought that maybe they influenced each other unconsciously. I also was observing the birds fight and drawing parallels with human behaviour, etc. Then from thought to thought I started having nihilist thoughts and it sucked. Also thinking that my answer to all this over-thinking, when sober, was usually what could be considered as "fleeing" by occupying my mind (music, games, nature observation, exactly the stuff I was trying to do to feel better) and that maybe this wasn't the right solution, and that I had to find a solution by keeping on thinking, instead of fleeing. Never-ending... So I went back home, and finally I started to feel better while playing pokemon silver (but that's also because the benzo was starting to kick in). Note that I wasn't in the best set & setting and that it has probably tainted the trip in a dark way.

Overanalyzing is also a big issue when I'm high.

I feel like when I learn to conquer this, I'll be a happier man. :)

Last edited:
Over analysing is what stopped me smoking weed and I am also on a big break from PD's for similar issues and I am fairly sure the whole thing links back to mild anxiety.

" For example I heard 3 very similar screams, from (1) a kid (2) a bird (3) a dog, in a very small time interval, and thought that maybe they influenced each other unconsciously. I also was observing the birds fight and drawing parallels with human behaviour, etc. Then from thought to thought I started having nihilist thoughts and it sucked." This kind of thing sounds extremely similar. I found the only thing that really helps is set setting and benzos.

Over analysing is what stopped me smoking weed and I am also on a big break from PD's for similar issues and I am fairly sure the whole thing links back to mild anxiety.

I do have mild to strong anxiety, always had, and I think it's the source of a lot of my issues. I'm more and more thinking about psychotherapy.

Also I'm gonna be even more careful about the set & setting in the future... I did notice that I was more anxious last time after something went wrong. Even when the s&s is optimal, from the moment I am left alone with my unoccupied mind, I start overthinking and sometimes end up in thought loops. They're not dark thoughts but it still can be overwhelming.

I feel like when I learn to conquer this, I'll be a happier man. :)

I used to be like this for sure, especially in social situations, I almost always became quite self-conscious during trips, and they almost always contains difficult periods that were related to overthinking. Using psychedelics and life experiences and challenges I set for myself, I have actually transformed myself into a much more confident and sure-minded person. Some of it was just time and growing up too. Anyway I just wanted to say that you can learn to conquer it. :)

Thanks for the positive input Xorkoth! I'm glad to see that people with the same issues as mine have succeeded.

I've already gained a lot of confidence over the years, but there sure is a lot left to do! :)

I suggest you learn to meditate.Zen style is a good place to start.It is the opposite of over thinking because meditation, dispels thoughts, like the wind does to fluffy clouds.Meditators call the, over thinking mind, the monkey mind, and you can tame your thoughts, using these ageless techniques.

Good advice already here, I'll throw in a quote by the good ol' Tim Leary.

"You have to go out of your mind ... and into your heart."

Thanks for the advices! I'm definitely going to try meditation.

When I start to overthink it turns to major para! I remember taking all the fuses out of plugs/lights, covering up the windows thinking I was a government experiment.

For me there is only way for the bad trips to go and that's to ride it out!