• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

CBD Strains to treat acute and post acute benzodiazepine withdrawal?

CrazyPants

Greenlighter
I've lately been searching the net desperately to find answers as to how to get through the hell that is benzo wd....I fought for 8 hard months and failed, had to reinstate and now am coming up on time to jump off my tapered dose and am scared shitless...I know the pain and debilitating mental issues that await.....

My worst symptoms aside from crushing depression and insane anxiety are the physical symptoms of intense nerve pain and all kinds of twitching seizing buzzing humming and muscle issues...Couple that with days of insomnia and the inability to eat and you create a pretty bleak outlook for my future....

My question is, is there anyone that knows of cannabis being used to treat such an issue....I am sure there is a strain, or strains that could address all of these debilitating symptoms....I am especially intrigued by the CBD buds used to treat seizures in patients...as I have been prescribed anticonvulsants with some pretty horrible side effects profiles to help ease my WD along with many other adjunct meds to address SOME of the issues I've stated above...

I have no underlying condition, mental or physical and found myself in this situation by accident and I can't help but think that some of these types strains could be the answer or at least provide some much needed relief to a host of awful symptoms that go on for months on end...anyone with experience or who has heard of such a thing being done? Any and all input would be appreciated.

Here in Colorado we're starting to see 1:1 & 2:1, THC:CBD bud. I bought some for the exact same purposes as the OP. Results seem to indicate it's not going to hurt. It doesn't invoke the anxiety that low CBD strains do. I always use "pure indca", but oddly theses don't show any of the sativa traits that I'd expect from a sativa hybrid, which both above mentioned stains were crossed with (hemp x sativa). I believe it helps with benzo w/ds, it's not magic, but puffed enough you'll chill nicely, for a long time (several hours). IME, you'll need to puff all day long. A bunch of bongs right b/f bed should keep you good for at least half the night. Keep packed bong next to bed.

I'd like to try as an edible a similar ratio of cannabinoids, with CBN added in a significant amount (may have sedation properties.)

Btw, THC current in each was tested at about 13%, that's a huge increase in CBD vs. even the best professional bud we have here.

I used it to half my Etizolam habit fairly painlessly, reduced it 50%. I had other compounds to help but CBD seemed the most effective non-benzo receptor binder.

Be well.

i too am trapped in the benzo nightmare. in my experience smoking cannabis just made me worse. more shaky more buzzing in the ears etc. i dont know if you have access to concentrared CBD oil in your state, but that might be worth a try.

Thanks for the detailed response....I think the edible or at least oral route would be more logical, considering as you mention the amount of smoking you would need to do to stay in a semi-state of comfort . Unfortunately I do not live in a friendly state, so all my research into this is mostly hypothetical, but my suffering has been and will probably continue to be so bad that I may just have to consider a move to where I can receive proper therapy for my ailment. Lucky you! And thanks again for providing some practical experience to my theory.

I had other compounds to help but CBD seemed the most effective non-benzo receptor binder.

Be well.

Not sure this is the proper place to ask this, but what were those other compounds....Msg me if not appropriate for this discussion.

Can't answer your strain-related question, brutha, sorry about that.

I just want to say that, on the bright side, if you can fight the benzo WDs they don't last long at all (my experience with benzo WDs is only with Alprazolam a.k.a. Xanax-- I'm big on all benzo's, really, but the only true addiction I've had to them was with Xanax).

They're fucking terrible, though, I'll grant you that. Weed helped me kind of ignore that I felt so terrible when I was going through it, but it definitely didn't eradicate the shakiness, the irritability, the stomach pains, the achey joints and limbs. For me, though, the absolute worst part was my eyes. They felt super-strained and my vision itself was shaky, and it was like with every heartbeat my eyes would feel a little bulge and my vision would get kind of obscured/blurry for an instant, but that instant happened with every single heartbeat. Doc said that was a blood pressure issue stemming from the WDs, and that made sense but fuck if I know for sure. That eye-bulging thing was the most irritating, nerve-wracking, irritability-increasing symptom for me. It just.... it pissed me right the fuck off, man, lol.

Again, I don't have any strain-specific advice for you. I would, however, suggest that you try to find weed the gives you more of a sedated, stoned, stuck-to-the-couch kind of high. People generally associate those high characteristics with cannabis indica, but I've found that the hybrids that dominate the market can surprise the fuck out of a smoker if they start to think in broad generalizations when it comes to weed.

[EDIT: Weed'll be best at handling any rebound anxiety you might suffer as a result of these WDs. I feel like I should've added that somewhere in this post, I just.... didn't. Woops.]

"Pure" CBD oil made from hemp. It's legal everywhere because CBD is an unscheduled compound.
There are companies making this oil with less than 0.2% THC, which apparently (legally) doesn't classify as psychoactive.

I'm not suffering from anything but 1 drop chills me out real hard. Makes me less "stressy", takes away my sugar craving, makes me brush my teeth before I go to bed (something I tend to not do most of the time). The girlfriends' menstrual pains disappear 2-3 minutes after 1 drop under the tongue. It has numerous applications which are still begin discovered as we speak.

I'm a huge fan.

Im a medical patient and i use 20mg/ml oral cbd oils 4x day to help with diazepam wds after 20 yrs and i smoke heavy Indicas like Pink Kush [ANY Kush is good IMO] in the late afternoon/evening/bedtime. Some days i smoke myself unconscious to get through the wds. Durban poison is a great sativa that never sets me off good for mood/day. CBD to offset the anxiety from high thc strains and also i noticed it really helps with the GI shit like rumbling stomach like theres fkn glass in it, nausea etc. Oils are like timed-release pills and smoking/vaping is IR...Its no magic bullet for me so far but it lets me sleep + eat at least, one day at a time brother. I hope i was of some help and that you're well by now, this is an old ass post!

Last edited:
Pure cbd oil or cbd weed is legal in all 50 states. I suggest you get some tinctures that are full spectrum extracts. I use these to help manage my anxiety.

It would help to buy a product that has some reputation and comes from a medical state, esp Colorado, so look on reddit for user reviews

A great strain is Cherry Pie in the 180-220 range and Cherry West 250-325.

I would recommend looking for food-grade RSO/FECO and do his "grain of rice" measurements and instructions except take it sublingually,
Feel free to contact me about good food grade RSO/FECO.

*BE VERY CAREFUL to avoid petroleum based solvent methods, although some argue that through certain distillation techniques they can isolate exact compounds to make super efficient tinctures or creams for skin ailments*

Currently taking 30mg of Valium day and have have 2 seizures from Bonzo withdrawals

Last edited: