• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone Precipitated WD Unusual Problem

canadian250

Greenlighter
Hi I am sorry if this has been posted but swim has had an unusual situation occur with regards to precipitated WD's.

Hi SWIM recently had an experience where SWIM went into precipitated withdrawal. SWIM had been on suboxone for approximately 1 year in which SWIM would consume approximately 4mg daily intranasally. Swim took about 1 month off the suboxone and had been using heroin recreationally in lieu of suboxone. Swim decided to go back on the suboxone and after waiting approximately 12 hours and in a state of moderate withdrawal Swim took 3-4mgs of suboxone nasally. Almost immediately Swim went into precipitated withdrawal. Swim was curious as to why she experienced the precipitated withdrawal given moderate withdrawals were present.

Approximately 1 year ago when Swim switched from methadone to suboxone her withdrawals were no where near as severe yet there was no case of precipitated WD.

Swim was curious if anyone had any reasons as to why she experienced the precipitated withdrawal. Did swim only waiting 12 hours use too soon regardless of the fact she was feeling the withdrawals. Also could swim of experienced withdrawals due to ROA (taking then nasally rather than sublingual). also would taking a larger enough dose help or is there any other possible factors swim has failed to take into consideration upon switching from heroin to subs.

After experiencing the precipitated withdrawals swim ended up waiting around 3 hours before she ended up going back to the dia. Swim has been using dia for approximate'y 1 week since the episode and is planning switching back to suboxone within the next 3 days.

Swim is hoping anyone would have some good suggestions as to prevent Swim from experiencing this hell again. Swim is open to any tips or suggestions that would make this transition as painless as possible. Recommendations for Roa, time elapsed, dosage and any unique suggestion thst could have any possible effect would be truly appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's help :)

Well, first of there shall be no swimming here. Read the BLUA and guidelines. I am going to let you edit your post to get the hang of the bl interface. NO SWIM. And I would wait until you're sick as fuck and then take the bupe to make sure you don't go into precipitated withdraw syndrome. 24 hours wait should be safe for Heroin, longer acting opioids like Methadone you would wait at least 36 hour post dose to even think about taking the bupe.

P.D Be careful, welcome to BL. BLUA AND OD GUIDELINES. Please edit your post.

I would try 1-2mg instead of 4mg next time. The bigger the dose of sub the bigger the precipitated withdrawals. Wait until 16- 20 hours after your last dose of H to take the sub. If still feeling like crap take another 1mg an hour later. This is what has worked for me on more than one occasion.

SWIM makes me avoid the post...I can't get past all the swimming, sorry.

Just remember everyone is dfferent in how their body reacts to withdrawal and medications. While we all share the common withdrawal symptoms, the times vary, etc.

You probably didn't wait long enough between using and the SUBX treatment. Rehabs normally make you wait 24 hrs...of course, some rehabs are different in dosing times.

You should probably try that 24 hr rule next time. And I'm a firm believer in not eating or drinking anything at least 30 minutes for oral dosing.

Feel better xox

Okay recently I was in a similar situation.... I took off suboxone for 1 week and used heroin. I waited 20hrs and when I took the 4mg of sub, IT FELT LIKE I WAS IN PRECIPITATED WD, But I wasn't. The problem was that 4mg wasn't enough, I took 4 more and I was fine.

YOU were using for much longer than 1 week, keep that in mind....What I'm saying is that SWIM probably needed much more than 4mg...

SWIM also should of waited a bit longer as others are saying...

Last edited:
12 hours is in no way long enough, of course you went into p.w.
I have to wait at least 20 hours, at least. The first few times I took subs I could do it after like 8 - 16 hours and be fine. Then aftery habit got worse and I went on a off subs a few times the length I had to wait and the dose of subs I had to take to feel relief skyrocketed. I couldn't tell you why, just that if I eat subs, I wait a solid 20 hours after my last shot and even then it makes me nervous.

12 hours is in no way long enough, of course you went into p.w.
I have to wait at least 20 hours, at least. The first few times I took subs I could do it after like 8 - 16 hours and be fine. Then aftery habit got worse and I went on a off subs a few times the length I had to wait and the dose of subs I had to take to feel relief skyrocketed. I couldn't tell you why, just that if I eat subs, I wait a solid 20 hours after my last shot and even then it makes me nervous.
Yeah i can relate, I had a moment of sheer panic the first time I took a sub after a run, just from all the horror stories u hear about. But I was fine. If u wait a legit 20hrs ur okay.