• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can someone help me understand some things about codeine? Am I allergic?

lokidoki

Bluelighter
I used to take hydrocodone at about 15mg a day which worked great. It worked wonders with pain and was a nice mood lifter on top of that. I was just given codeine with tylenol this past week instead, and at 60mg I found that they didnt do much. I did some research and saw that it took about 100mg of codeine to equate to 10mg of hydrocodone. So I took 120mg but I believe I had an allergic reaction, I'm actually not sure as I've never been allergic to anything before. Much of my body appeared flushed, there was a stinging sensation felt everywhere that was particularly strong in my hands and chest, and led to some chest tightness. The itching was furious, although I had slight itching on the hydrocodone it felt nowhere near this intensity. My heart was racing and I started to feel nauseous, although I was able to calm that down quickly with some water and a lie down. After about 30-40 minutes, all the symptoms subsided.

At this point I'm ready to go ask for hydrocodone instead, but more research has told me that supposedly codeine takes 5-20 doses to be appreciated for its full effects. Is this true? Should I keep trying with this? Also, I was under the impression that if you were allergic to codeine, you were allergic to hydrocodone and vice versa, so how could I have had a reaction to this but not the other?

Thank you.

Most of what you describe probably came from the fuckton of caffeine and apa you ingested in the t3s, really simple solution is to take an allergy pill and then look up a CWE video on YouTube. Enjoy

Thank you! I did take one pill of Benadryl when the symptoms began to develop. Should I have taken more Benadryl or should I have taken the Benadryl earlier? The caffeine hadn't occurred to me as something I'd react to as I'm a soda and coffee lover so I ingest caffeine all the time, although admittedly I don't know how much caffeine are in these. Also I thought my body should be used to the amount of APA as I typically took 3 5/325 hydrocodone-acetaminophen to get my 15mg dose per night. But for sure I probably should adopt the habit of doing CWEs. Cant be easy on the liver either way. Thank you again.

T3's can be enjoyable: but like Birc0014 mentioned, you have to do an extraction- I usually crush 7.5 ~60mg tablets and do a CWE.

Tylenol 3!
Yes, take allergy pill or try Vicoprofen, although not all insurance co's cover it. It's an IBP buffer instead of Acetaminophen.

Its going to be a lot easier on your liver in the long run and you would need to be drinking A LOT of soda to make up for that kind of caffeine surge

I would reco taking the allergy pill before you start the cwe taht way its in your system already, also the cwe route is great because even though it tastes like shit the buzzglow is wonderooooooous, makes you feel like you are wrapped in a warm vag...if your into that sort of thing

Codeine does have a strong histamine release as part of its experience, the itchiness, stinging, chest tightness and nausea are normal effects for a relatively high dose of codeine. If you are used to hydrocodone you will find codeine has a lot more "body effects" than plain painkilling and mental effects.

If you're eating them as Tylenol 3 and taking 120mg then that's only 60mg of caffeine, or about one cup of black coffee. The codeine will for sure overpower it. And acetaminophen doesn't cause strong itching and chest tightness, although it may make you nauseous.

Cold water extraction doesn't remove the caffeine but does remove the acetaminophen.

Codeine does have a strong histamine release as part of its experience, the itchiness, stinging, chest tightness and nausea are normal effects for a relatively high dose of codeine. If you are used to hydrocodone you will find codeine has a lot more "body effects" than plain painkilling and mental effects.

Hello and thank you for the reply! Does this mean that if I continue to take codeine, my body will get used to its effects and I eventually wont have these reactions?

Hello and thank you for the reply! Does this mean that if I continue to take codeine, my body will get used to its effects and I eventually wont have these reactions?

you could try taking an antihistamine such as hydroxyzine or promethazine with your codeine t negate the histamine release, but only when you feel the itching beginning.
taking them too early can blunt your high.

you could try taking an antihistamine such as hydroxyzine or promethazine with your codeine t negate the histamine release, but only when you feel the itching beginning.
taking them too early can blunt your high.

Thanks! Is benadryl not strong enough of an antihistamine or are those stronger ones? Sorry if its a dumb question. -.-

It's okay. Normally should not be mixed with opiates, as it makes it more powerful..

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but those symptoms sound to me exactly like a moderate to severe allergic reaction. Codeine and morphine are substances that many people are often allergic to. The whole body flushing and tightness is concerning because it suggests that taking a higher dose could have affected your airway and breathing as well. If I were you, stick to low doses of codeine or morphine if you try it again. If the same symptoms are present, don't use those two opiates again.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but those symptoms sound to me exactly like a moderate to severe allergic reaction. Codeine and morphine are substances that many people are often allergic to. The whole body flushing and tightness is concerning because it suggests that taking a higher dose could have affected your airway and breathing as well. If I were you, stick to low doses of codeine or morphine if you try it again. If the same symptoms are present, don't use those two opiates again.

Thanks! Yeah it sounded like an allergic reaction according to google. It was just very odd as I've never been allergic to anything and so I had no idea what was happening. I'm going to try a smaller dose today with two pills of benadryl to be safe. If it doesnt feel any better I'll go to the doctor tomorrow and ask for something else. Thanks again.

No problem. I've had the exact same thing happen to me whenever I injected morphine. It can be really scary if you don't know whether it's going to get worse or better.