• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Students: what are you studying?

MissVL

Bluelighter
I'm curious as to how many other BL members are students and what you're studying.

I'm in my second year of completing my four year Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood. Loving it so far :)

I'm studying game design and development for 2 years now. It's my lifelong dream to make games and I'm finally doing it, which feels really nice! It's been a tough two years especially money-wise but luckily it's over soon.

Psychology. You might wanna switch majors.. something broad is always better if you're not 100% sure. Early childhood will only get you so far vs psychology or education is much broader yet still legit. Just saying.

Thanks for the advice but I'm 100% happy where I am. I have always wanted to be an EC teacher, specifically I want to work in early intervention with children with developmental disabilities and this degree offers me a better chance of getting employed in that field than BEd Primary does.

Thanks for the advice but I'm 100% happy where I am. I have always wanted to be an EC teacher, specifically I want to work in early intervention with children with developmental disabilities and this degree offers me a better chance of getting employed in that field than BEd Primary does.
I don't know how it is in Australia but in the U.S, experience counts a lot more. I'm actually in the same field as you are but have my BA in psychology. All my research and in field is with early development but with my psych degree I've gotten various other jobs. Real estate, retail, management, etc...just in case you want a break...it's much easier to relate to since the population that psy directly deals with is 0-100.

MA in Landscape Architecture (completed BA last year).

Not expecting to ever make serious dosh.. my target is 30k and I'll be content with that. Just want a job that's mildly stimulating, varied, towards a good cause, and allows me to do the things I want in my free time.

Biology (with the History and Philosophy of Science).

I loathe it and I screwed up choosing it, but I can't financially afford to start from scratch in a new subject but I don't think I can pass something difficult that I have no motivation for. I'm trying to push to see if I can transfer to human geography, but who knows.

^ no point in studying something you don't like, at least in my opinion. check you other options, there has to be something :)

bachelor of music (sonic arts)

basically means im studying electronic music. i like making electronic music songs, and i want to learn more.. but i am lazy, and this is all i can really do right now.

tbh i am more interested in psychology, or specifically psychotherapy (gestalt etc) from a progressive standpoint. but idk if that will pique my interest enough to make me work for it considering where i am at.

Homestretch for a BA in electronics/ICT (with option ICT). Few more months and I'm done, finally =D

bachelor of music (sonic arts)

basically means im studying electronic music. i like making electronic music songs, and i want to learn more.. but i am lazy, and this is all i can really do right now.

tbh i am more interested in psychology, or specifically psychotherapy (gestalt etc) from a progressive standpoint. but idk if that will pique my interest enough to make me work for it considering where i am at.

Most people studying psychology degrees don't get into psychotherapy, working as therapist in the UK dosen't really require a formal professional training in a particular degree anyway. If you think you might be interested you could look into it more alongside a creative career involving music too like you say it's about how much your interest is piqued.

As for me have returned to med school after a break, have 2 yrs till I finish. Enjoying it.

This Master's degree involves so much fucking reading. I'm getting acclimatised to highlighting things on the first pass, so I don't have to read anything more than once. Then base some type of inductive or deductive argument on what I have highlighted in the essays I am typing up as I go. It's working for now, but I'll have to see what the marks say about this approach. It's touch-and-go; I'm pretty sure this is the right approach for me though.

English 101, I'm always deep in Pharmacology books, I also dig into clinical psychology books all the time trying to figure out the current treatment models for various psych conditions. Sometimes I read books that are about 100 years old to determine what life was like during those time periods and also determine the roots of modern medicine. My favorite casual reading is sociology books. Lots of Hemingway, Steinbeck, and Fitzgerald. So yeah that sums up the basics of my studies both personal and required by academic institutions.

First i did some chemistry at the uni, then switched to med school but realized I wanted to follow the pharmacy path so switched to that after 5 months (there was an option to do that).

Lately i've found out i don't want to be a pharmacist, not because i don't like pharmacology but because of the whole industry so i'm going to switch again to a chemistry/biology/geology degree to eventually do a master in biochemistry or something like that.

I'm interested in a lot of things like the universe, philosophy, biology but mostly in studying the human mind. My original ideal was to eventually do a neuroscience degree but it's a long and difficult path so we'll see how that sorts out.