• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Students: what are you studying?

Mathematics and philosophy.

Am still wondering how did I end up studying those since I never liked them.

I'm studying Computer Science as well, and not enjoying it as much as I thought I would have

Have an AA in Health iNFORMATION Technology. Will be getting my TELF certification now to teach in Taiwan!

I have mentioned before that I was taking medical courses so I can switch into a different field. I have decided not to go with it lol. I recently purchased a new place and decided to stay with the company I currently work at. Been there for 7 years and 4 months now and I am making a decent amount of money. I am however, planning to take courses in Accounting next year to upgrade and I believe that this is a better career path as I already have experiences working in an office and will be a great asset either to my company o to another company who will offer me a better salary. I am aiming to get a certificate next year and long term will be an Accounting degree. Every company needs an accountant!

Does anyone currently or have past experience with autodidactic study? It can be either for actual school or just self gowth. I finished my university studies over 15 years ago with a BS in Pharmacy but my passion is physics. I am trying to relearn math I have been taught ages ago (trigonometry and calculus) as well as getting the basics of vectors and linear algebra, which I never studied. I am using two very clear and concise books on the fundamentals of Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics, a calculus workbook, and online tutorials from Khan Academy and Stanford University. I go at my own pace as this is just a labor of love, but am interested in anyone's personal experiences in learning this way (doesn't have to be physics) and any pointers on how you were able to overcome any challenges that arose.

Also any good reference material on the subjects mentioned and how you went about asking an expert questions when really stumped would be wonderful. My interests in physics are Cosmology and Quantum Mechanics mostly and I know I am biting off a lot more than I can chew, but just reading books and watching videos by the populizers of physics is not enough for me anymore, I want to know the math and logic formally.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the ideas.

Business Administration, finishing second year soon. I'm ridiculously ready to transfer and get out of here, since it's community college.

I am studying chemistry I am currently not in school due to financial reasons but I recently discovered I can learn chemistry at home by building a lab and buying text books... the first half is almost done (about 600 dollars later) I am 100% determined to run down every reaction and text book in the land before going back and finishing my degree. My over all plan is like this:

next 2 years study chemistry and i mean run synthesis reactions and achieve all that an amateur chemist can from home, impossible because of time and the fact you can do anything at home and i mean anything if your creative enough. I want to stand out from anyone else in the university as the "older under grad who for the past 3 years worked from a lab in his house" that will be my start to gaining favor with professors.

I have about 1.5 semesters worth of classes till i get a degree in chemistry and all the math (hate math never took it passed calc 1 never passed it but took all the undergrad chem classes at Uconn) but i need to learn math so i will buy math text books and tutors over the next 3 years to learn what i dont know. But using all of this coupled with my awesome personality I think i can make friends with a few chemistry PhDs, something the younger me didnt care to do, and get a research position at the university.

I am going to enter competitions on a global amateur chemistry website, they run contests for small amount of money and i am going to plot out the next 10 years to fulfill my goal. The desire to make it so i self actualize into the person i was meant to be after thinking i ruined the opportunity with heroin. Then in maybe 10-15 years be a adjunct professor who does research at the university while working on his PhD and abandoning his wife and children to do chemistry in the basement in his spare time.

All leading up to a moment where i can look to the sky and yell "what have i done!" or "i should have never played god!" or at least write a book about how i have mixed feeling about what i did for society but i was only following my path. For the first time in my life though chemistry has been the back bone of my existence since i learned about how stuff burns as a teenager, it is as much a drive for me as eating and for once i feel like i am and can be a chemist. At 28 years of age i think i can finally use the brain i was gifted and the brain that got me into so much trouble as a kid to its full potential. All it took was getting kicked out of school for financial reasons to get addicted to heroin and get clean to realize i was so scattered i could never be a chemist before this... even though i averaged a B in a class called "advanced inorganic chemistry" at a major university while being hungover all the damn time. I am finally mature enough to see a goal and know i can get it.

Got my Masters results recently, my academic journey is finally over (touch wood!). Managed to pull off 78% for my dissertation, very happy about that :)

Biology (with the History and Philosophy of Science).

I loathe it and I screwed up choosing it, but I can't financially afford to start from scratch in a new subject but I don't think I can pass something difficult that I have no motivation for. I'm trying to push to see if I can transfer to human geography, but who knows.

I posted this in March - warming up to the subject. I still don't love it, but I've been getting really good grades, so I'm pretty psyched that my "I don't think I can pass something difficult that I have no motivation for" prediction wasn't correct.

In my Masters year of my Pharmacy course (UK)...dissertation kicking my ass!

Final year of my English degree, feel totally out of my depth cos I sort of spent the first two years in a benzo/booze haze and remember fuck all, took a year to sort myself out properly and here I am. Focusing on Renaissance Lit and 'old' languages this year (English, Icelandic) so I'm more motivated than I was when I didn't have much of a choice of classes but still finding it hard on top of having dyspraxia and stuff. Will be so so glad when I get my degree!

Studying to be an RN. Literally why I started using. I was too tired from working two jobs and trying to get through school.

masters degree in exercise science (second semester first year)
Ok so update I quit after the summer semester and switched programs and started a masters in counseling then during my 2nd semester (about a month ago ish) I overdosed so now I don't know what the fuck I am doing anymore

Studying medicine,
Not much left to become a general,
Will pursue a specialty afterwards for sure,
But cannot decide yet between the income of surgery and the joy of psychiatry.
Truly the hardest decision of my life.