• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Black Tar Rules

loustewart318

Greenlighter
So, I just started messing around with heroin a little bit about 2 months ago. I know I'm not addicted to it, because I don't have any physical or psychological cravings at all. I haven't even messed around with it enough to get addicted. I am smoking it right now and was wondering if u guys would help me devise some rules or guidelines for using without becoming dependent. Some of the rules I currently follow are:
1. Get high a max, of twice a day (See #2 also)
2. Only get high on the weekends (Friday-Sunday)
3. Stop a smoking session at the first signs of nausea

Thanks for help. I would just like to keep it fun and be getting high to get high, not to ward off getting sick.

The hard truth is that these rules will be harder and harder the more you use.

Suddenly you find apologies to take it during the week or more than twice a day (which is too much to begin with if you want to set limits, imo).
You will start to crave it and the days without will become more and more unpleasant to wait through while the time seems to slow down during the breaks, only waiting for the next day.
This will get more intense to the point where you cave in and don't take this one break, and then the next and so on until you wake up in sweat, realizing that you are now an addict.
~
It may seem somewhat exagerrated but thats basically the way it goes for the vast majority of people using H or other opioids, me included.

The best rule would be stop while you still can without major problems.

Those rules arent gonna work. Opioid dependencbis insidious. If you really want to maintain chipping do it once a month.

Those rules arent gonna work. Opioid dependencbis insidious. If you really want to maintain chipping do it once a month.

haha yeah I hate to be blunt about it, but if your like the rest of us (which im assuming you are cuz your posting about it) you will find yourself breaking those rules more and more till its a "only to function" kind of thing..

Instead of making rules, see if you can go a month without smoking, like f33lg00d said. if you can really hold back like that, maybe you will not dig urself into a hole you feel you will never climb out of.

But anyway, if you could adhere to those guidelines you set for yourself, theres a good chance physical dependency will not ensue.

Heroin will smash any rules u put in front of it until you dont even believe them anymore and everything turns into excuses

I agree with everyone who is saying your more then likely not going to be able to stick with ur rules. The general rule for physical addiction to opiates is 5 days in a row.

Suddenly you find apologies to take it during the week or more than twice a day (which is too much to begin with if you want to set limits, imo).

I am not saying I am going to use twice a day everyday. I am saying that I would do it twice a day Saturday and Sunday and not at all any other day of the week. It is likely that those times that I do it twice a day would be spaced out like one at 2 PM and the other at like 11PM (my free time)
In regard to breaking those rules to use heroin to function, I am strongly determined to follow these rules and I have an extremely strong will (I am incredibly stubborn). I have a system set up where my guy will cut me off as soon as I break any of these rules (he is a friend), so I will not get to that point. I just want to know what rules I should set up to ward off physical dependence. I am keeping the rules I have in place, just as a reminder.

In reality this just comes across as you seeking validation from other users. Trying to justify your use. Just saying that's how it looks to me. Coming from a junkie myself, I'm just not practicing at the moment.

I am not a junkie, I am trying to avoid becoming one. I will admit I am a user, but not a junkie. I have only used enough to count on my fingers and possibly a couple of toes. It's not like I think I am better than all of the other users and thinking I will not get addicted. I am just trying to be as careful as one can be (and don't say being abstinent from drugs or anything like that is how you be very careful) I honestly don't think I will get addicted (at least not very easily), because I like the high from pot way better than the high from H. As soon as I start smoking pot again (I am currently being UA'd for marijuana), I will cut my use WAY back than the rules deem the frequency of my use now.

I just want some help on some guidelines and I don't appreciate everyone bullshitting around my question! If no one helps me with guidelines, I will make my own, and they will not turn out well, because I am not an experienced user. I would rather have help from an experienced user so that I make sure I am not setting myself up for failure and addiction than I already am now.

I am not a junkie, I am trying to avoid becoming one. I will admit I am a user, but not a junkie. I have only used enough to count on my fingers and possibly a couple of toes. It's not like I think I am better than all of the other users and thinking I will not get addicted. I am just trying to be as careful as one can be (and don't say being abstinent from drugs or anything like that is how you be very careful) I honestly don't think I will get addicted (at least not very easily), because I like the high from pot way better than the high from H. As soon as I start smoking pot again (I am currently being UA'd for marijuana), I will cut my use WAY back than the rules deem the frequency of my use now.

I just want some help on some guidelines and I don't appreciate everyone bullshitting around my question! If no one helps me with guidelines, I will make my own, and they will not turn out well, because I am not an experienced user. I would rather have help from an experienced user so that I make sure I am not setting myself up for failure and addiction than I already am now.

People are giving you appropriate advice. They're telling you that, no, these rules/guidelines won't prevent you from becoming dependent or developing a significant tolerance. They're also telling you that they can't provide you with a list of rules or guidelines that will do that, because there aren't any other than "don't use heroin".

It's perfectly possible to use heroin without getting addicted, but the 'safe' amount differs wildly from person to person. One person's recreational habit is another person's express lane to daily use. Everyone seems pretty agreed on the fact that once a week isn't a good idea, though, so maybe start there?

Maybe I could have used a better term. I've been off dope for a few years, I was more so just trying to say "hey I have some experience with this". Just remember no one plans on becoming addicted to a substance.

Pretty much everyone make similar mental "rules" for themselves when they start out. It's a good thing you want to, really. Separates us from the apes. But I will say this: you might be able to stick to these guidelines for a long time. But an incredibly insidious and deep set psychological bond to dope will be forming in your brain unbeknownst to you while you smoke heroin two times a week, or whatever. New, very powerful, neural pathways will be forged in your subconscious grey matter based on the amount of relief and free happiness opiates consistently give you. You'll still be able to control it though when life is all bananas and pajamas. But then, BAM!, you'll get hit with a big dose of pain and reality in life (happens to us all at one point; life isn't all peaches and cream). These new neural connections that have been being continuously forged in your subconscious will make it impossible to fall back on anything other than ole reliable heroin. And you will fall hard and experience the true power of addiction. I've seen this trend flow through so many many people whom I never thought would ever have any sort of real substance abuse problem. Heroin is just such a powerful reliever of all that is wrong in this world.

Anyways, just letting you know the harsh usual reality. The old cliche "nobody starts out trying to be a junky" rings true in most cases. The physical side of heroin addiction is brutal but pales in comparison to the psychological. If I were just starting out, I'd try and nip this psychological side in the bud moreso than worrying myself about physical withdrawals (which can be managed more easily). I'm not completely sure how to do this as I am still on my journey, trying to contain this beast of a monkey on my back. But I would start with these:

1. Never progress to or even try the needle. It is far more reinforcing and you won't be able to go back to any other roa.

2. Don't let yourself begin to associate any time, place, or feeling with your use. My advice is to be a binge user and avoid concrete schedules such as "only smoking on the weekends", etc. Occasionally buy a gram and have 2-3 day nodfests then quit for a few weeks.

3. Don't associate with very many other users on a regular basis if you can help it. A group of opiate enthusiasts is exponentially more compulsive than a lone one. Hang out with your non opiate using friends regularly.

4. Don't use when you're feeling down about life, depressed, overly anxious, etc. instead of using drugs to solve your mental problems from the get go, come up with effective strategies to deal with them while sober. This is very important and will make a world of difference. Save the dope as a treat.

5. Don't do dope before work. It quickly becomes something that you need just function at your optimum.

6. Start a regular exercise routine. It will help keep your tolerance low and is a good distraction from compulsive thoughts.

7. Keep the dosage as low as possible. Don't smoke yourself into oblivion for no particular reason. Use the lowest effective dose you can.

8. Seek help with addiction if and when you need it. Don't try and fight the monkey on your own and end up isolating yourself. People will understand; it happens to the best of us.

... Just a few things I have found to help over the years. Take it as you will. Best of luck op! Heroin's a helluva drug.

2. Don't let yourself begin to associate any time, place, or feeling with your use. My advice is to be a binge user and avoid concrete schedules such as "only smoking on the weekends", etc. Occasionally buy a gram and have 2-3 day nodfests then quit for a few weeks.
3. Don't associate with very many other users on a regular basis if you can help it. A group of opiate enthusiasts is exponentially more compulsive than a lone one. Hang out with your non opiate using friends regularly.
4. Don't use when you're feeling down about life, depressed, overly anxious, etc. instead of using drugs to solve your mental problems from the get go, come up with effective strategies to deal with them while sober. This is very important and will make a world of difference. Save the dope as a treat.

These rules can't be stressed enough. Whenever a group of friends close to me has gotten addicted to something, its almost always been together. Sure, we all will do whatever it has been separately, but associating hanging out with people and getting high with them, particularly in the same place all the time, really reinforces that association... These people + that place + that drug = happy.
Using when you're down... just makes shit so much worse. You start to think that the only thing that's gonna cheer you up is getting high. You use the hang-out spot and those people as an excuse to get high to try and solve your problems. In addition to doing it on your own. That's my experience anyway.

Thank you Soulgasm and RivieraLife. Your advice was really helpful and makes sense. I like the binge idea better than my weekend rule. I like how you guys said about not doing it when I'm depressed too, but that's sadly not going to work. I am chronically depressed, but it is what it is.

Whilst I strongly agree with all of the above, I did read a post earlier referring to a system they called 8-72. It basically said; use for 8 hours, then wait 64 hours, then again for 8 hours etc.. So use for 8 hours every 72 hours.

I could see that working, essentially allowing your system to clear before re using, and never gaining a physical addiction. But,,, in practice you'd have to stick to that schedule really strictly.

As I said, I agree with everyone else, just throwing that in.

Hey look, it's that guy with the perfect rules to never get addicted to heroin again - 2 months in and he's got it all figured out! oh boy.

tumblr_inline_nge4ei6V9F1s1n9a3.jpg

I remember the rules, so well. They worked for a long time as well. They worked for years. The good old rules.

Then they stopped. I thought I was a strong willed person, hell, I am a strong willed person, I kicked a bottle and a half of vodka habit (Withdrawal seizures, was hospitalised). I now pin up twice a day to keep well. That was one of my other rules, never use needles.

Be strong willed, and stay away from heroin. Just don't use it. I'm being honest here. I know you won't though, and I wish you the best for whats to come.

Excellent advice Konanwarrior, Soulgasm, and RiveraLife.

I never used heroin since I enjoyed pharm opiates a bit too much, and I'm lucky I never got addicted to those since I didn't have that easy access to them.

I am not saying I am going to use twice a day everyday. I am saying that I would do it twice a day Saturday and Sunday and not at all any other day of the week. It is likely that those times that I do it twice a day would be spaced out like one at 2 PM and the other at like 11PM (my free time)
In regard to breaking those rules to use heroin to function, I am strongly determined to follow these rules and I have an extremely strong will (I am incredibly stubborn). I have a system set up where my guy will cut me off as soon as I break any of these rules (he is a friend), so I will not get to that point. I just want to know what rules I should set up to ward off physical dependence. I am keeping the rules I have in place, just as a reminder.

yeah my guy said hed do the same about 15 years ago, guess where i am now. clue not chipping and a fuckin mess

What, and people who ended up addicted were weak-willed? And we never set any rules in place? Give me a break.

You're NOT special. Many of us were exactly where you are now. The point I think many of us are trying to drive home is you think the way you think now will still be the case if you continue to "recreationally" use heroin. But in actuality, you won't be as to trust your own mind and what's worse is you won't even realize it. You'll think you've got it handled. Just like you do now.

The fact that you think you can not get addicted is probably the biggest indicator of trouble to come. Because the reality is, you SHOULD be scared. It's laughable you think you can use only on the weekend... find me 5 people who are still are 5 years later and maybe you'll have a leg to stand on.