• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Bobby Jindal signs into law bill increasing heroin penalties for dealers to 99 years

1508075_860874957304393_7600240786566513385_n.jpg

Actually the junkies are the people suffering from a disorder called ADDICTION, which if you've ever known an addict is something you have no control over.

I don't feel sorry for junkies. It's not that easy to get addicted to heroin, you have to keep doing it and doing it. It's a self-imposed disease.

The junkies that DON'T go around hurting people and stealing shit, I have no problem with. I've just met a lot more who are scumbags.

I have schizophrenia. I had no choice over this. Yet I'm not going around feeling sorry for myself, I get up every day and set out to accompish what I can, even when my brain is working against me.

Nobody should be punished for using, or selling drugs to willing adults.
Period.

Actually the junkies are the people suffering from a disorder called ADDICTION, which if you've ever known an addict is something you have no control over.

I think this looks like rationalization to me.

You want to excuse anyone who is addicted, and say that they are not responsible for what they do? Strange.

If someone is addicted to making fast money by selling drugs, you say that they are evil? For committing a victimless "crime"? Strange.

You assign responsibility for ruining the lives of heroin addicts to their dealers, and not to the addicts themselves? Very strange. Very, very strange, and not something I can possibly hope to understand.

You act as if the dealers are forcing the addicts to buy and use drugs.
Come on, let's give adults responsibility for their own behavior.
Let's also agree that using a drug to make yourself feel better is not immoral.
Heroin dealers are not "preying on" addicts - they are helping them out.
Is this good for the addict in the long term? Maybe not, but let's give responsibility for this decision to the addict, where it belongs.
There is nothing "evil" about helping an addict get their next fix.
You forgot to treat adults as adults.
This is part of freedom - freedom to alter consciousness in any way a person sees fit.
It is, after all, one's own consciousness.

Heroin dealers are not "preying on" addicts - they are helping them out.

As long as drug prohibition stands, I consider drug trafficking to be intrinsically honourable. This is not to say that every drug dealer is honourable - far from it - but I think that if you sell drugs honestly and without any threat or use of violence, then you are doing something good by undermining society's attempt to oppress a certain segment of its populace.

If you like doing drugs, and don't think that you are doing anything wrong by doing them, and you don't manufacture them all yourself, then you are benefiting from the existence of drug traffickers. If you then make these people out to be evil for providing a service that you are willing to take advantage of, you are a hypocrite.

Money isn't as addictive as heroin tho.
Money is based on greed. Heroin addiction is based on trying to feel okay and not going into withdrawal which is hell on earth.
And sure, heroin addicts tried heroin... but everyone makes mistakes, and some people are more susceptable to addiction than others, some just have "addictive personalities".
That doesn't justify a dealer turning a profit from an illness a person has

Honestly i'm surprised so many on BL aren't being more sympathetic towards heroin addicts...

I don't feel sorry for junkies. It's not that easy to get addicted to heroin, you have to keep doing it and doing it. It's a self-imposed disease.

The junkies that DON'T go around hurting people and stealing shit, I have no problem with. I've just met a lot more who are scumbags.

I have schizophrenia. I had no choice over this. Yet I'm not going around feeling sorry for myself, I get up every day and set out to accompish what I can, even when my brain is working against me.
and society says you dont matter because youre schizo.
just like addicts dont matter
in fact, theres a lot of schizo people who refuse to take medication and do crazy shit, so you could argue they are like
responsible for their symptoms
But they dont get locked up nearly thr same percentage as drug addicts and they often do crazy lawbreaking dangerous violent shit.

Using is a choice. Drug dealers don't put a gun to your head and tell you to use.

If this is the case- the alcohol companies should be held responsible for the lives they've ruined/ took prematurely.

Money isn't as addictive as heroin tho.
Money is based on greed. Heroin addiction is based on trying to feel okay and not going into withdrawal which is hell on earth.
And sure, heroin addicts tried heroin... but everyone makes mistakes, and some people are more susceptable to addiction than others, some just have "addictive personalities".
That doesn't justify a dealer turning a profit from an illness a person has

Honestly i'm surprised so many on BL aren't being more sympathetic towards heroin addicts...

I think anyone who thinks a desire for money is 'based on greed' has probably never been poor.

and society says you dont matter because youre schizo.
just like addicts dont matter
in fact, theres a lot of schizo people who refuse to take medication and do crazy shit, so you could argue they are like
responsible for their symptoms
But they dont get locked up nearly thr same percentage as drug addicts and they often do crazy lawbreaking dangerous violent shit.

It's not an "or". People living with schizophrenia (and other mental illnesses) have a really high substance use/abuse rate. People with comorbid schizophrenia and substance use are less likely to adhere to medication and treatment.

You can't play schizophrenics vs drug addicts because they're often the same people.

Yeah, but for the sake of my argument, ill refer to non drug addict schizo people.

What makes you feel this way? Most Americans agree with you and every country in the world with lower crime rates has fewer incarcerated people than America. Extreme punishment is ineffective at healing the victim of the crime, is less effective at deterring crime than humane options, and doesn't increase the likelihood of the criminal peacefully reintegrating into society. Inflicting excessive punishment upon criminals simply because the victim and observers feel the way they want about this is irrational. My opinion on this is the same regarding drug addicts and politicians.

I don't think drug addiction is a crime. The criminal justice system in the US is not designed to reintegrate people into society, it designed to make it as tough on people as possible so they fail and re offend. This keeps the people coming back so the system can make more money off them.

The criminal justice system works for some offenders. One example would be sexual offenders. I believe thier recidivism rate is like 5%.

From these comments you seem to think that i'm in favor of the US approach to crime and addiction. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Profiting off people being locked up is a very shady business. Having the same people who enact and enforce the laws also owning and profiting from the incarceration of the prisoners they arrest should be federally illegal. It leads to insane laws and people loosing their entire lives to prison terms so that greed driven losers can make money.

I believe that manipulating laws and taking peoples freedoms excessively long periods for profit is a crime and should be punishable with a nice sit in the same can they send people to for profit.

Our society produces brutal and simplistic music.
It also produces beautiful and complex music as well.

Our society also produces brutal and simplistic architecture. So whats the problem? I don't know what to call what causes this. Though history hints at a shift. Humans have made elaborate monuments marking their existence over the centuries. The temples of the isolated Mayans were elaborate and beautiful. The same is true many miles away in the Roman colloseums and the Sistine Chapel, the mosques of the middle east, and the temples of India. If you walk downtown in any major American city and look at buildings from earlier than the 1920s you'll find the same complexity and beauty. Elaborate molding, pillars, and gargoyles are prominent. Even the older railings and street lights have elaborate decorations on them. As you walk through the streets there is suddenly dramatic shifts. In the side of your sight, smashing in, you notice the iridescent greenish glare, the simplistic repeating patterns of the reflective windows on modern architecture. The newer buildings remind me of the Emerald City in the novel "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L Frank Baum where the Emerald City surrounded with poppies was actually bland and drab. The city only looked beautiful through the lens of the glasses locked over the viewers eyes and the wonderful wizard was as much an illusion as the magnificence of the city. Perhaps we to could be blind about the reality of our modern cities. Where did the complexity go in our architecture, in our music, in our laws? The shift in the 1920s is obvious and in the past several decades the consequences of this brutal simplicity began emerging. After what caused this shift is common knowledge our society should recover. The problems you present in your questions are symptoms NeverSickAnymore. With our brutal and simplistic world view we notice these symptoms to late. An example is mass incarceration and excessive drug crime penalties. Perhaps short term solutions are an option. I think we have to find out what the issue is and stop treading water.

This is certainly true. Its roots are the current morals and values of our society. I believe that modern economics is really one of the most destructive concepts ever conceived and adopted.

200px-Supply-demand-right-shift-supply.svg.png

So companies make as little as possible, for as cheap as they possibly can and sell it for as much as they possibly can. Meanwhile they pay thier workers as little as possible for as much work as they can possibly get.

Our society values money.. it almost worships it. The majority of us work extremely hard, but to what ends? We all work so hard, but our efforts are not aimed at increasing our standards of living. If you follow the money and see who is actually benefiting from our insane levels of work.. it goes to line the pockets and pad the bank accounts of very wealthy people and corporations where it has no positive effect on thier lives or ours.

The corporations are designed and required by law to make as large a profit as they possibly can. We currently value worthless money over quality of life. We value money over standard of living. We value money over quality. Why build a beautiful; and amazing building.. thats expensive and we should build a cheap ugly building.

The world is very lost right now:\

The only way I see this going is a few less dealers perhaps, inflated heroin prices due to both increased risk and less competition. Leading to more crime to fund their habit.

There might be a different scenario that would allow different outcomes.

Looks like they'll still have customers...

I've never seen so many people in jail smile, lol.

Last edited:
I think anyone who thinks a desire for money is 'based on greed' has probably never been poor.

I've been poor. My argument is 99% of drug dealers who don't "get high on their own supply" make WAY more than they need to live off of.
They might have been poor at one point, then they discovered how profitable drug dealing is, then they make way more than what they would need to live comfortable.
Don't try and say drug dealers stop when they consider themselves not to be poor... lol

You can't play schizophrenics vs drug addicts because they're often the same people.

And they're often NOT the same people as well, i've met actually more schizophrenics who scoff at the idea of cannabis, let alone a hard drug.
and most of my friends who succumbed to heroin addiction never had any MI. The ones who did only had depression/anxiety.
It's true that many Schizophrenics use drugs, but there are many who don't as well?