• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DitM SOCIAL v. Extra Extra Read All About It!

320388_10150295594353960_523248959_7744530_2692217_n.jpg

bilde

Reid James Ribble (born April 5, 1956)[1] is an American politician who has been the U.S. Representative for Wisconsin's 8th congressional district since 2011. He is a member of the Republican Party.

By way of introduction, my name is Jeff Kuckuck and I work on Congressman Ribble’s legislative staff.

Thank you for contacting Congressman Ribble about the McClintock-Polis amendment to the Commerce, Justice, and Science Appropriations bill. While Rep. Ribble voted for this amendment, it unfortunately did not pass the House of Representatives. However, the Congressman continues to believe that states should have the authority to make their own laws regarding marijuana and will continue to keep your thoughts on this issue in mind.

Thank you again for contacting our office.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kuckuck
Legislative Correspondent
Office of Congressman Ribble (WI-08)
1513 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 225-5665

This is crazy.. line out the door at the dope shop..

heroinline.jpg

In a photo supplied by the U.S. Attorney’s office, scores of people can be seen lining up to purchase heroin on the 3700 block of West Grenshaw.
CHICAGO (June 26, 2015) — Federal and local law enforcement officials dismantled a large drug operation in Chicago on Wednesday.

In a federal complaint, authorities said 42 defendants had either been arrested or had been named in an arrest warrant.

During the roundup, DEA agents along with Chicago Police officers seized twelve firearms, $50,000 in cash and nearly a half-kilogram of heroin along with cocaine during yesterday’s arrests.

The complaint also alleges James Triplett, 33 of Berkley, was a wholesale supplier of heroin who controlled an entire block with his operation, which included “shift workers” for all hours of the day.

A photo showing people lined up at Triplett’s house was included in the federal complaint.

The neighborhood is located just off the Eisenhower expressway and is often referred to as “heroin highway” because of the easy access to the western suburbs as well as the city.

http://fox59.com/2015/06/26/photo-shows-dozens-of-people-lined-up-at-drug-dealers-house-in-chicago/

I did not.. had opportunities for both face value in cali and chi town. But it was just not in the cards.

Just took a great position, with worlds of opportunity, doing what I love in a place I love... so its "work" time.

My old friend im staying with hit them all. Said he had a fine time%)

Did you end up making it?

It's Time to End Mass Incarceration
The United States is home to less than 5 percent of the world’s population but nearly 25 percent of its prisoners.
More than half a million people will go to sleep in a prison cell tonight in the U.S. for nothing more than a drug law violation.

We must reduce the number of people swept into the criminal justice system for drug law violations, while creating new drug policies grounded in science, health and human rights.

Join the fight to end mass incarceration!

http://mass-incarceration.action.drugpolicy.org/?source=1G7ZZZZJZZ3/#primary_form

Last week, I attended an event at the White House as a representative of DPA and it felt like a real turning point in the debate on the war on drugs. I want to share my story with you.

Community leaders from more than 30 city, county, and state jurisdictions convened in Washington D.C. to discuss an innovative program known as Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion, or LEAD.

Pioneered in Seattle, LEAD greatly improves public health and achieves better safety outcomes by diverting people from arrest and connecting them with harm reduction services.

Police divert individuals who commit low-level drug offenses to health-based case management services — instead of trapping them in a broken criminal justice system. An independent evaluation found that LEAD reduced the likelihood of re-offending by nearly 60 percent.

I sat in the White House and heard prosecutors and police chiefs get up and call on this country to stop the harmful and ineffective practice of arresting and incarcerating people for low-level drug offenses. I was greatly inspired.

To be inside the White House, the epicenter of mass incarceration and the war on drugs, listening to top White House staff condemn these disastrous policies was almost surreal. The conversation was not if we should end mass incarceration, but how.

Supporters like you have helped us come a long way and this convening represents a dramatic shift in the way we think of drug use as a country. Drug use is a health issue, not a criminal justice one, and it’s inspiring to finally see our work pay off as top leaders begin to recognize that and take action.

DPA is working to bring LEAD programs to cities across the country and I encourage you to read more about LEAD’s success and check out our fact sheet.

If you believe as I do that no one should go to jail for low-level drug offenses, then please sign our petition to end mass incarceration now.

Thanks for standing with us in the fight for drug policies grounded in science, compassion, health and human rights.

Sincerely,

Lynne Lyman
State Director, California
Drug Policy Alliance

=D .. we are getting close good people.. fight fight fight folks:!

Sigmond why do you always delete your posts.. they are good posts and you may consider leaving them up for others to read.

bilde

By JILL LAZARE
July 21, 2015 at 5:01 PM

CRANFORD, NJ - Heroin overdose deaths in the United States have quadrupled since 2002. If that weren’t alarming enough, New Jersey’s rate of heroin overdose deaths is more than three times the national average and drug overdose is now the leading cause of accidental death in New Jersey. If it were not already clear, this recent surge in heroin deaths show that America’s drug laws are in need of drastic reform. We need to stop treating substance abuse as a criminal act and start treating it as a medical issue. We should end the War on Drugs and instead legalize and regulate the sale and use of narcotics.

I’m proud to say I have already been part of the fight to change New Jersey’s drug laws. In 2013 I testified to the legislature in favor of what is now the New Jersey Drug Overdose Prevention Act, which authorized paramedics and police officers to carry and administer the overdose prevention drug naloxone. I’m pleased that overdose deaths have declined since the law went into effect. Lives are being saved because our leaders realized that our drug laws were foolishly hurting vulnerable people instead of seeking to help those in need.

But there is still much work to be done. An obvious first step would be the legalization of marijuana. The success of legalization in Colorado and Washington should serve as a model to the rest of the country. Legalization will save millions of dollars in police and court costs, keep thousands of people out of jail and prison, and bring millions of dollars in new tax revenue into our state’s coffers. Simple possession of small amounts of more dangerous drugs by adults should be decriminalized immediately. Prohibition has only empowered drug dealers and organized crime.

Our drug laws should focus on treatment instead of punishment. We need to expand drug courts and alternative sentencing programs so that people whose crimes were a result of their substance abuse problems are not sent to prison to become career criminals. But we also need to get tougher on doctors who abuse their prescription writing power by overwriting scripts for pain relievers without seeing the patients in any meaningful way and then simply cutting the patients off without treatment or a plan to wean them off of the pain medication. Such doctors create the addiction without liability or consequences to themselves. That is where the focus of the authorities should be, rather than on the people suffering from addiction.

The recent prison escape of Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman demonstrates the futility of an enforcement-only approach. This is the second time he has been able to escape from prison. How can you build a prison that will hold someone who has limitless resources? To me, it makes much more sense to cut off his source of wealth by legalizing and regulating narcotics. Prohibition has only empowered criminals like Guzman. We have tried every enforcement mechanism possible, and none of them have succeeded.

We will look back on the War on Drugs as one of the great follies in American history, alongside the prohibition of alcohol. The trajectory and failure of the two policies is strikingly similar. The prohibition of alcohol empowered bootleggers and the mafia much the same way the War on Drugs has empowered drug cartels. After 13 years of Prohibition, America came to its senses and legalized and regulated alcohol. It’s now time we do the same with drugs.

There is increasing bipartisan consensus for reform of our broken drug laws. While I have disagreed with Governor Christie on many issues, I was proud to work with him on the Overdose Prevention Act and have been heartened by his comments on drug policy reform. As a member of the New Jersey Assembly I will make reform of our state’s drug laws a top priority. I stand ready to work with members of both parties to help bring common sense and compassion to this issue. The War on Drugs has failed. It is time to bring it to an end.

-Jill LaZare is a candidate for New Jersey Assembly District 21

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/cranf...war-on-drugs-has-failed-lets-legalize-and-r-2

Sigmond why do you always delete your posts.. they are good posts and you may consider leaving them up for others to read.
Oh thanks..

I wasn't sure if they were out of place and figured people already read them.
I thought this would be a good place for long articles that are difficult to make threads out of.

link:http://www.alternet.org/drugs

Last edited:
August 23, 2015

Dear Friend,
With statistics ranging from the danger of using drugs like marijuana to the astronomically high incarceration rate seen in our country today, the debate around marijuana’s legal status is growing louder.

Those who believe that the drug should remain illegal point to marijuana’s addictiveness, its ability to serve as a gateway drug for more dangerous substances, and the changes that it causes in mood, behavior, and judgment in users. They may also point out the toxicity of the smoke itself. They may believe that it should be used medicinally in a very controlled capacity, or oppose its use entirely.

Supporters of legalization point to medicinal uses of the drug, particularly for those with epilepsy, cancer, and chronic pain. They also share the almost nonexistent rates of injury due to overdose, and stories of young people whose lives are turned upside down with extremely long mandatory prison sentences for non-violent marijuana-related offences.

Public opinion on marijuana use is varied, and I am interested to know where you stand.

What do you personally believe about recreational marijuana use?
a.) It is illegal, immoral, and dangerous.
b.) It is illegal and immoral, but is not a dangerous substance.
c.) It is illegal and dangerous to your health, but not immoral.
d.) It is illegal, but would not be problematic otherwise.
e.) Don't know/none of these.

What are your views on medical marijuana use?
a.) It is illegal, immoral, and unlikely to help people.
b.) It is likely to be abused more than it helps people.
c.) It has real therapeutic properties and should be available as an option for doctors to prescribe.
d.) It has valuable therapeutic properties and should be available over-the-counter.

What do you think federal government policy should be on marijuana?
a.) No change from current policy.
b.) It should remain illegal but with reduced penalties.
c.) It should remain illegal except for medical use with a prescription.
d.) It should remain illegal except for over-the-counter medical use.
e.) It should be legalized federally and states should be left to make their own decisions.
f.) Don't know/none of these.

What do you think of how the federal government is currently handling marijuana-related crime prosecution and sentencing?
a.) Prosecution and penalties are too light and should be strengthened.
b.) Marijuana-related crimes are being prosecuted and penalized at about the right level.
c.) Marijuana-related crimes are being punished much too harshly.
d.) There should be no federal penalties and states should be left to decide.

Do you have any additional thoughts you would like to share?

Click to open in a separate window
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts!

Sincerely,

Reid Ribble

The drug war is a disgrace and very immoral.

Thank you for checking into this Congressman Ribble :)

ACWN70x-TVnBjOGW5jgjmDoKb7S88aNtSxRs-gFYzU26evR6NQbJLsdRunSAsn4NMj9Q0DeF0bdZ0Drm9gnziwmEsiSD-CaoVyq_d6aQMXN2KC5C7Ibia0HdKtyHccmgPUZ-sGq45Xbvrw=s0-d-e1-ft

Last edited:
The War On Drugs: Join Our Skype Group Chat
October 9, 2015 | 9:05 am
The global war on drugs has been waged for decades with mixed results. Billions of dollars have been consumed without many changes in global patterns of drug use. While some are calling for a new approach to recreational drugs, many are adamant in staying the abolitionist course.

Is there a middle ground between unconditional legalization and absolute prohibition? And how are users, dealers, and the general public impacted by the drug war?

On Thursday, 15 October at 8pm EDT, join the VICE News for a Skype group chat about the global impact of the war on drugs.