• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Marijuana Induced Flashbacks: from 'Bad Trip' on LSD.

TheChemicalCouple

Greenlighter
To be to the point:
SWIM had only been smoking marijuana for one week. SWIM took two Synthetic LSD Tabs 2 days apart and both were bright and fun.SWIM (3 days after 2nd Trip) took another Synthetic LSD Trip. It had started okay but progressively got worse and worse. SWIM sat in front of the television and SWIMs Trip Sitter put on CALL OF DUTY: Zombies. SWIM claimed to be tripping within ten minutes of placing Tab between gum and top lip. SWIM went outside to get some air as things inside were intense in the sense that SWIM was anxious and had a large amount of fear and terror inside him/her. SWIM was offered one cone of intense grade marijuana that had been from overseas. SWIM knew he/she was already anxious enough but was peer pressured by two friends (one tripping, one sober) to have the cone. SWIM had only been smoking marijuana for one week. The marijuana made it extremely intense, more so than it was previously, and SWIM ran out to the front porch. The porch on arrival was 3-4metres wide and 3 metres in length. When SWIM walked out the front door after investing the LSD, the porch was one metre wide and one metre in length. This made SWIM even more distraught and anxious as SWIM had only ever had fun acid trips and was never aware that SWIMS surroundings could change this much. SWIM fainted on the front grass and when waking, was no longer tripping. It was 10pm at this stage. SWIM got up confused and walked towards his/her friend whom was also tripping. SWIM looked at their sober friend and claimed his face morphed into a large black mad white vortex. SWIM could only think to run, and ended up 20 houses away against a picket fence in someone's garden, anxious and scared, filled with terror. SWIMS perception was too distorted and morphed. SWIM was almost hit by a large truck on a highway when crossing it and was also hallucinating: including watching a friend melt like candle wax. SWIM had an out of body experience and was watching him/herself on a SchoolOval. As the grass turned into rose thorns, SWIM watched the thorns wrap around his/her body and engulf SWIM. The night has left SWIM with horrible depression and anxiety attacks/panic attacks.

1 week/7 days after this 'Bad Trip' SWIM smoked 3 decently sized cones of Marijuana. To start with SWIM was okay but began crying and having anxiety attacks upon realising he/she had returned to the "Bad Trip" SWIM had previously.

Tonight (2 years later), SWIM was cleaning his/her room and sat down for one cone of Marijuana. S
WIM has not had LSD for 12 months if not longer. SWIM inhaled the Marijuana and knew straight away it was bad.
SWIMS heart began pounding extremely fast, and extremely hard, and SWIM started tripping as intensely as he/she did the night of the 'Bad Trip.' SWIM felt as though the 'highness' wouldn't stop as if it started in the stomach and rose until it got to the top of the head. The fear and terror of the 'trip/flashback' was more horrible than SWIM remembered and SWIM did not want to have any hallucinagenic experiences in future. SWIM (with eyes closed) re-lived the 'Bad Trip' night and had an anxiety attack for a solid hour at least. SWIM is now sitting on the couch considering rolling a Joint as SWIM cannot sleep.

SWIM did not believe in Flashbacks and did not think it would happen two years after SWIMS Bad Trip. SWIM felt like he/she was going to die, from a heart attack as the pounding and speed of SWIMS heart was unachieveable. SWIM is still anxious and scared because normally marijuana helps SWIM with anxiety - now SWIM doesn't know what to do to manage it.

Is there anyone who can relate to SWIM or is SWIM completely insane?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
- Chemical Couple

I don't believe THC causes flashbacks.
although there are metabolites from cannabis left in your system for up to weeks after your last use, these are inactive metabolites and won't affect you other than failing a drug test

Enough people have this experience to make it IMO not rare; not common, but not rare either. No matter what the cause (weed itself or brain chemistry or fear from past experience), the obvious answer is to give up weed for a while or forever depending on how it goes. You read stories every day here on BL of people that develop an anxiety with weed when it used to give them the opposite experience. I'm 61 so I've seen many people in my generation go from being "lifelong" pot smokers to not being able to smoke at all and then years later come back to it with no problem.

Clear your head. Try not to over-think or obsessively worry this. Stay drug-free for a while and concentrate on all the basics like diet, exercise and good sleep. Develop normal coping strategies (it's part of growing up!:)) like intensifying your engagement with things that make you happy. Let your friends know that pressuring anyone into taking a substance is bullshit and choose carefully and independently when and where and how you want to change your own consciousness.<3

Notice that space between your psychedelic use and onset of hallucinations is significant. I doubt the psychedelic use caused the hallucinations. We don't have sufficient evidence in this case.

I have had schizophrenia my entire life. In my early twenties I began noticing details I previously missed and was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I noticed my handwriting was illegible. I began seeing how some people might use homonyms and figurative language during the banter of their 9 to 5. This included noticing hallucinations. Some of the hallucinations resemble psychedelic distortions. This began happening sporadically during marijuana use. Eventually this occurred 24-7. The worst part was being afraid of the change because of how others reacted negatively. So know there's nothing to worry about.

Over this past decade the visual disturbances have progressively subsided. This was facilitated through changing my diet and exercise. The positive changes remain. After noticing my handwriting was eligible my handwriting improved. My observation of peoples mannerisms and the nuances of communication also remain. My life is sweeter because the change occurred. In retrospect I consider my life begging in my mid twenties. My improvement is still progressing.

You might want to discontinue marijuana and then you'll be better. If your symptoms progress anyway you don't have to worry about the waves of change. In my life overcoming what I hadn't been aware of in my past was beneficial. I think you'll find out you will be well after all.

Last edited:
If you take LSD and then smoke pot for at the least one month after, then yes, you will experience mini-flashbacks.

Please edit the OP to eliminate use of SWIM.
Something like this happened to me. I had what I would call a traumatic +4 experience (the period of disintegration of selfhood was quite protracted, and I was not ready for it and fought against the effects) involving LSD combined with cannabis. This repeated on classical psychedelics, and cannabis would induce something milder but qualitatively similar enough to induce near-panic (or outright panic in a couple of cases).

How did I get over it? I took a break from pot for 5 or 6 years (with sporadic trials, to which I continued to respond with anxiety), and classical psychs even longer. For my reintroduction to pot, I had a small dose while already on multiple anxiolytics in a comfortable environment (in my case, low dose alprazolam and low dose mdma taken at home alone (it's not advisable to use mdma for this purpose...I didn't intend to use it for this purpose, but I got lucky. The synergy of mdma and cannabis can be strong and qualitatively unnerving for a lot of people)). I responded well. I waited for a brief period and tried cannabis again, this time on its own, but still at a low dose and in a very comfortable setting.

That went fine. I kept taking baby steps and eventually built a response to cannabis I'd consider "normal". During this process, I also came up with cognitive strategies to combat effects I found scary. Eg, to reckon with feelings of time slowing to a standstill (this was a focus during my original "bad trip"), I learned to take note that the eternal moment manifesting was actually quite interesting, so I was okay with it. I think that there's a lot of hope with your case, as long as you employ a good bit of patience.

ebola

Psychological health is... Relatively good. I get outta bed and work every day but i do hate every second and want to get it over with. But i'm nowhere near suicidal. No bipolar/schizo is my point i guess. My 1st lsd trip turned into me getting roofied (dude to dude) and waking up with a dick in my mouth. I immediately said gimme the fucking phone and called my friends mom (what a saint) who rushed to pick me up at 2am. For a month or so after pot would give mini flashbacks- nothing visual but that same terror feeling when i saw what was happening. One of my last clear memories was dana carvey doing g h w bush ("wouldn't be prudent "u coulda told me earlier dana) and that set me off too if i saw it. But it only lasted about a month after. He is dead, heroin, so i can't even retaliate but still good to know. I never think about it, sure as hell never shared the story til now. He was subject to some serious abuse, but i was 16 and had no idea what kind of trouble could be caused by telling someone u knew since preschool u gotta crash cuz u just ate lsd for the 1st time and dont wanna bug out at home.
Nowadays i have this type of person pegged after 30 min of conversation, i was so fucking naive. He was coming off mdma and i kept bragging about how awesome the L was... So definitely an anger thing. This is the longest ive thought about it in 15 years.

2nd lsd experience was solo, brought back feelings of the 1st. Only after taking mdma, and then the acid once i was good n rolling got me my first enjoyable trip.

Set and setting. Don't tell sketchy ppl u barely know u are not familiar with a drug you took. I know just what wohlda happened hed be like " wow you musta been tripping REALLY hard. And are a fag" while denying it. The few flashes i remember make me feel like this was no way a first time thing. Like he really tried to get in my brain and fuck it up. And i remember him asking any possible way to get money, my ssn, it was just a horrorshow. I love drugs but hate drug people. Not ppl who use drugs, i mean like living husks with nothing but heroin monkeys inside. Common at the methadone clinic. I was destined for that without the sodomy, i had seen fear and loathing at 15 and it gave me damaging ideas on drug use. Sorry to go so off topic but im sure you would probably excuse me the one time.

Omg, i can so relate. I took 10 hits of LSD before a Grateful Dead concert at Shoreline, California in 1993. I had tripped hundreds of times before so eating a "10-strip" was no big deal. I had also been smoking pot for about 5 years at the time. Anyway, during Drums/Space in the 2nd set i completely lost my shit and began to panic. I walked out of the concert, which i had never done before. My friends found me later that night after the concert under a stranger's van, naked and wrapped in a blanket. I was unable to talk as well so my friends brought me back to our van. My one friend babysat me for about 24 hours until i could talk again. I came out of the bad trip a day later and ever since, if i smoke pot i immediately go back into panic mode and am taken back to that awful night in 1993. It's truly frightening and i had to give up smoking pot because of it. I also suffer from PTSD, depression and anxiety as a result of that bad trip. I havent smoked weed in 25 years because of it and havent taken any psychedelics except for MDMA since that night. It's been a struggle to say the least and i believe it all comes from that bad trip. It was my first and only bad trip as well. I used to love taking LSD and smoking weed and thought i would always smoke.