• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Withdrawal From Invega Sustenna

TrustInGod

Greenlighter
Hello,

I am currently withdrawing from Invega Sustenna and have many unanswered questions. I was taking Invega Sustenna for severe depression but discontinued mainly because of the sideffects (weight gain, drowsiness, zombified). I have quit for about 2 months and 3 weeks and I am wondering when I will see results and start to feel better. Right now I feel anxious, and sometimes restless which is why I stopped going to school because I want to take a break so I can get rid of the withdrawal symptoms. I question if anyone has successfully gotten off of Invega or any anti-psychotic successfully after taking it for over 8 years or so for something like severe depression? I really want to go back to school and feel guilty but I feel as though the withdrawal symptoms hinder me and stress me out. Has anyone taken a break from school? I just really want to finally be free of the medication without having to go to the hospital. I pray to God everyday something will positive will happen. I want to be successful and have a good job with a degree. I know a lot of people are worse off then me but I really want to quit and feel like I did before I started taking the medication. Please anyone, help me and let me know what your experience was on this medication or any information at all would be soo greatly appreciated. Thank you once again.

~TrustinGod

When I quit Remeron (mirtazipine) cold turkey after a year , I had a fucking hallucinogenic trip of a nightmare, with the huge pupils and everything lasting 10 hours (the most intrense part) well into the next day, and then it was over.

Thanks. I appreciate the comment. I was on the minimum dose of Invega which was about 117 mg. But that was for about a month. My doctor told me she would try to keep it on the lowest dose possible so I can continue to function. I was just told the longer your on the harder it is to come off of it. I know there are people out there that are taking it for more serious things but I take it basically for depression because I have had trouble with relationships. I'm sure I'm not the only person out there who has been taking medication for years now. With psychiatrists prescribing medications like giving out candy I'm not surprised many people are trying to get off. I believe there are other ways of dealing with depression such as talking to a therapist, going to a very motivational spiritual group, having supportive parents, exercising. My previous psychiatrist said that she would eventually wean me off the medication, this current psychiatrist told me she would see how I'm doing and go from there. I just see all these people with these scary side effects and I really don't like it. I appreciate you being honest with me because I need it. But to be quite frank I'm finally living on my own and I'm 23 years old. I have been lving on my own for about 2 1/2 years and if I'm no ready to get off now when will I ever be? I do not plan on being on this the rest of my life and I am sure my doctor would agree on that. The longer I am on this the harder it is to get off. Plus every year I gain more and more weight which really makes me feel bad about myself. I already lost about 10 lbs and I am trying o lose another 5 or 6 or so. I never said about going to hospital though. I think with the right type of support I will thrive. I also believe if I continue my spiritual path it does really help me feel better. I believe the reason for my depression is the loneliness factor but with spirituality I feel like I am loved and feel like I can thrive with anything and anyone. I believe in myself which is why I believe I will pull through this. No sadness, loneliness, or medication can get in the way of that. I do however appreciate your honest opinion.

~TrustInGod

When I quit Remeron (mirtazipine) cold turkey after a year , I had a fucking hallucinogenic trip of a nightmare, with the huge pupils and everything lasting 10 hours (the most intrense part) well into the next day, and then it was over.

I was diagnosed with major depression. Psychiatrist are putting people on anti psychotics even for those who are suffering depression. I have not had any symptoms of what were experiencing. I have a bit of insomnia, and anxiety. My mom is trying to make me exercise as much as possible to minimize the symptoms.

Antipsychotics are a bitch to get off of. i hear ya... try tapering even slower that will probably help.
I find different APs cause different withdrawal effects, the worst i've experienced were those of Aripiprazole and Quetiapine, and the easiest to kick were Lurasidone and Asenapine.
I've been on and off APs for years but am currently on them now. You get used to the Drowsiness and "zombie" state, it sucks but i find that they help more than they hurt... and they keep me from using drugs because practically nothing gets you high when you're zonked on APs.
Im on 80/daily of Latuda and 5/daily of Saphris currently and am experiencing minimal side-effects. Drowsiness tho, but i dose at night so it's not TOO much of an issue

Hi there,

If you went cold turkey off of anti-psychotics you are definitely going to have some problems and it is quite common. I am very sad to hear that you are having them but if you go to the doctor than they will tell you that you are experiencing a return of your symptoms and put you back on more damaging medication because they are taught that these medications do not have withdrawal which is simply not true. What you are experiencing is caused by an abrupt discontinuation of anti-psychotics and is withdrawal not a return of your symptoms. At this point, there are several things you can do but, sadly, it will take time to heal from this medication. Invega is esp. nasty and for some it can take a year or so before you are feeling better.

When you are taking an AP for as long as you have, there are significant changes in your brain chemistry and you would have ideally tapered over a long period of time. A general guideline is 10% reduction per month. You have the option of getting back on a low dose of anti-psychotics and taper down from there over a period of time or you have the option of waiting it out. Even if you start taking an anti-psychotic there is not guarantee that it will help and if you do, try to keep your dosages as low as possible while keeping you stable. Once you are stable then try and taper.

When powerful medication like APs is stopped, your brain can kind of go into overdrive from your CNS being shocked. Once this happens, there is not really any way to fix it and it may be sometime before you are feeling better. Your brain can become highly sensitive to drugs and even certain types of food and things like, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, supplements, etc, so you may want to watch your diet and try and eat healthy. Adding more drugs like SSRIs and things of that nature won't be of any use and can cause more damage. Be careful if you decide to go back to the doctor because the WD symptoms are all over the place from mania, depression, restlessness, anxiety, nausea, and even psychosis, among other things, and even though you were taking it for depression, you may end up leaving the dr. with a new diagnosis and lifelong script for more toxic crap. If they feel you are a danger to yourself or others they can force you take the medication. I don't mean to scare you, I just want to give you the facts. You are not alone though and many people go through this.

There are several forums with people that have more information than myself on dealing with these types of things, but I would recommend you seek some support before going to the hospital. Try and educate yourself about the withdrawal process and know that what you are feeling is WDs not really how you 'normally' feel.You did the right thing by reaching out and please hang in there you will feel better, it just takes time. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Best of luck.

Thank you so much for your kind words. My mom told me to keep myself busy. I am scared to tell her that I want to have a break from school which is totally the opposite of what she told me but I get it. I'm embarrassed because I have these tremor like symptoms at school and I really don't want anyone to notice plus I feel always a wave of anxiety. I didn't have this before the medication. My mom is always telling me how exercise is good for the body and mind so I will take a walk outside even though it's really cold.

Antipsychotics are a bitch to get off of. i hear ya... try tapering even slower that will probably help.
I find different APs cause different withdrawal effects, the worst i've experienced were those of Aripiprazole and Quetiapine, and the easiest to kick were Lurasidone and Asenapine.
I've been on and off APs for years but am currently on them now. You get used to the Drowsiness and "zombie" state, it sucks but i find that they help more than they hurt... and they keep me from using drugs because practically nothing gets you high when you're zonked on APs.
Im on 80/daily of Latuda and 5/daily of Saphris currently and am experiencing minimal side-effects. Drowsiness tho, but i dose at night so it's not TOO much of an issue

Thanks. I'm actually looking into using herbal remedies/pills. I've just bought $69 worth of herbal pills and then an extra $20 herbal pill online. I'm taking Valerian Root 450 mg, Magnesium 400 mg, B-Complex, Omega-3 Krill Oil 500 mg, plus I'm waiting for my online order of Passion Flower 1100 mg, and Scullcap Herb 425 mg. I think just alone taking Valerian Root really helped relax me and ease my anxiety so I may just go back to school next week. I'm happy I didn't drop my classes and only missed one day. I'm in good shape. I also heard that herbal pills could be just as effective and strong as prescription medication. The only difference is the natural remedies are good for the body and much cheaper with very few side-effects while the prescription drugs can be eventually fatal, more expensive (if not covered by your insurance company), with side-effects that are not fun to live with including the excessive weight gain (why I originally wanted to get off). Thanks for your help!

It's going to take a long time for your brain to recover. It took mine about 2 years to fully recover after being on antidepressants for about 6 years. It sucks, but there are things you can do to quicken the process of recovery (and recover, you will- the brain is elastic and can bounce back from nearly anything)!!

EXERCISE!!! And i don't mean walking a mile a day.... intense, vigorous exercise! Get that heart rate up and endorphins pumping! Do this for a few months before you write it off- it's not a quick fix- you get what you put in. Even if you feel no benefits- don't quit until you've given it a fair shot - 3 months!!!

Engage in bodybuilding even- that was the best thing I've ever done for myself- You start seeing dramatic changes in your physique and become addicted to it- you feel better about yourself, and everyone else will start to notice as well (especially the opposite sex :p ) There is no feeling close to achieving a great pump after a hard workout session- not even heroin comes close in my eyes.

Also, you want to eat as clean as possible- and even possibly throwing in vitamins, minerals, and other various supplementation to heal your brain faster. You could go to your doctor and ask about recommendations in this department.

But I cannot emphasize ENOUGH how important I think it is for you to EXERCISE and EAT CLEAN!!!

I also heard that herbal pills could be just as effective and strong as prescription medication. The only difference is the natural remedies are good for the body and much cheaper with very few side-effects while the prescription drugs can be eventually fatal, more expensive (if not covered by your insurance company), with side-effects that are not fun to live with including the excessive weight gain (why I originally wanted to get off). Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, nope. There's a popular misconception that 'natural' substances are inherently good for you, but it's bunk. If something is having a noticeable effect on your mental or physical state, it's a powerful chemical and can just as easily have horrible side effects. Sure, people have died from taking prescription drugs, but people have also died from trying to treat illnesses with herbal supplements.

It sounds like you have enough reasons to either get off or change your current medication without talking yourself into thinking that herbal alternatives are harmless or better for you.

I was diagnosed with major depression. Psychiatrist are putting people on anti psychotics even for those who are suffering depression. I have not had any symptoms of what were experiencing. I have a bit of insomnia, and anxiety. My mom is trying to make me exercise as much as possible to minimize the symptoms.

This is wild. To treat treatment resistant depression, they prevent dopamine from binding to receptors. Dopamine is what makes you feel good. Seretonin, which it also affects, is what motivates you. Invega is one of the worst things that has happened to me. I'm fairly certain it almost killed me (heart issues). I literally just got off of invega and my dopamine still doesn't bind. I know what you are going through.

Since you are off the AAP (8 years?), your dopamine might start binding a little better by now. I recommend you google prolintane (sourcing is not allowed, but there will be only one source in MIND that pops up in google). It is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor with a high safety profile (they use it for old people). It is unscheduled in the US. The source in MIND is reliable. It has been marketed as an antidepressant and it helps A LOT. However, unlike other antidepressants, it is a real stimulant. It is a DRI not a MAOI or tryciclic. It's a genuine stimulant, but a really safe one (so safe, in fact, that it never got banned. It has been around for a really long time). Anyways, it has helped me get through this. It is cheap enough. Look at the therapeutic dose and the price.

What you need is more dopamine not less. Working out also helps with dopamine. Prolintane was a life saver for me. At therapeutic doses, it will not do much to your cardiovascular system (working out on it is safe). It might even make you feel like you have a new mind.

I have to warn you against abuse. When insufflated, it is highly abusable. Do not insufflate it. It is caustic (it will damage your nose). Take 20-40 mg of the powder, put it in a glass of water, and drink it. Do not sublingual it either (caustic). Do not start abusing it, because that could potentially make your depression worse in the end. In therapeutic doses, it will help you A LOT. See if you can google it and see the source in MIND. There is basically only one. Actually, since it's legal, sourcing it might be allowed but I don't know and I don't want to push it. PM me if you want to. I'm telling you about it this much because of how much it helps me. I have manic depression and it, unlike AAPs and RXd ADs, makes me functional.

And most importantly, do trust in God. Even when we can't see it, everything is working for our good.

BTW, have you been able to discern how long it takes for dopamine to start binding to the receptors again after stopping invega?

I have never been this depressed in my life, and that is saying something because I have manic depression. I can't believe they actually RX a drug like Invega. Especially in any but the most extreme circumstances (criminally insane).

NOtoInvega: What I am most concerned about is the making my body relaxed and at ease. I do not know when this will go away. If it's 4-8 months I hope it will be 4 months for me. I know eating healthy and exercise helps. I am taking herbal supplements along with it. I don't know what to do to speed up the process. My mother has crones and I don't want to make this more difficult then it is on her.

Unfortunately, nope. There's a popular misconception that 'natural' substances are inherently good for you, but it's bunk. If something is having a noticeable effect on your mental or physical state, it's a powerful chemical and can just as easily have horrible side effects. Sure, people have died from taking prescription drugs, but people have also died from trying to treat illnesses with herbal supplements.

It sounds like you have enough reasons to either get off or change your current medication without talking yourself into thinking that herbal alternatives are harmless or better for you.

Ok, I have been taking these supplements for about a week and they are helping me. I probably will not discontinue them.

NOtoInvega: What I am most concerned about is the making my body relaxed and at ease. I do not know when this will go away. If it's 4-8 months I hope it will be 4 months for me. I know eating healthy and exercise helps. I am taking herbal supplements along with it. I don't know what to do to speed up the process. My mother has crones and I don't want to make this more difficult then it is on her.

The reason you are anxious is because the dopamine is not binding, along with some serotonin. Etizolam is an option, but it can't be used every day and you have to be careful not to abuse it. It is unscheduled though in all but 3 states. I never tried it because I focus more on getting some dopamine to bind. I have been using green tea because it has l-theanine in it, it gives me a little energy while being somewhat relaxing. I use the lemon with ginseng kind.

I am not sure if the half-life is an accurate measure of when dopamine will start binding again. A drug normally wears off before the drug is out of your system. For instance, marijuana wears off in a day but stays in the system for weeks. I would have been due for a shot of invega in four days. I'm hoping this gets better around that time because it really is terrible. And I know what you are talking about wrt not making it harder on other people. Try prolintane and l-theanine supplements together. A stimulant might actually help since the reason your body is not at ease is because not enough dopamine is binding. Prolintane has less action on the noradrenic system than adderal or ritalin, so it would make you less uneasy. What you are after is dopamine. Kanna would work somewhat for the serotonin symptoms. Have you read anything about kanna? It is an interesting plant.

I can't believe they court order some people to take that stuff. I would rather go to jail than stay on invega. I mean, think about it, you take people who are already suffering and PREVENT DOPAMINE FROM BINDING TO RECEPTORS as "treatment." That is terrible. I mean, they literally force this stuff on people who are already suffering. It's like a chemical lobotomy. Schizophrenia is not caused by an overactive dopaminergic system and neither is psychosis. Psychosis can be made worse by an overactive dopaminergic system but not caused by it. Even then, INVEGA is EXTREME.

Look into etizolam and prolintane. Just be careful with etizolam as it is a xanax equivalent, although it is legal it is still a benzo.

All that said, taking dopaminergic drugs will only help. There will still be receptors that the dopamine does not bind to.

I really hope this isn't 4-8 months. I can't live like this for 4-8 months. I have responsibilities too. I really do recommend checking into prolintane. It will atleast get you more dopamine to bind than what is currently binding. Heck, if you are lucky, it might even make you feel a little good. It's a really safe drug too. It has helped me a lot with getting through this. I hope you find relief. Kratom also helps me. But the only sustainable (you can take it every day without worrying about any relevant withdrawals or damage) one is prolintane. Just remember to take it theraputically (40mg at a time would not be a problem, and would potentially bring you some peace for 4-5 hours). I know it seems counter-intuitive to take a stimulant, but remember - the reason you are restless is because you need dopamine in your dopamine receptors and the invega is blocking it. Kratom also provides dopamine and if you buy it correctly it is really cheap.

If you don't compensate with dopaminergic drugs, you WILL feel like this until whenever the receptors are unblocked. I have been looking for a way to unblock them and I haven't found one. I can't believe they give something like this to people in shots and know there is absolutely no antidote for it. I just hope this isn't permanent. I want to feel joy again just like you do.

Ok, I have been taking these supplements for about a week and they are helping me. I probably will not discontinue them.
what supplements do you take? Green tea might help. I'm interested to know because I am in the same boat as you with regards to the invega

I forgot to mention - if you are in school you will want to keep any etizolam dose very low. It is a benzo and you are already thinking slow enough thanks to the invega. It would alleviate your anxiety though

NOtoInvega: I am taking Scullcap Herb 425 mg and Valerian Root 450 mg. I know meditation can be relaxing and exercise helps a lot. All in all it helps a lot if you get support. The reason for my depression is because I feel alone. My mother plays a big role in feeling better. She has constantly supported me. I think if I get support from my healthcare providers and family I will be fine.

NOtoInvega: I am taking Scullcap Herb 425 mg and Valerian Root 450 mg. I know meditation can be relaxing and exercise helps a lot. All in all it helps a lot if you get support. The reason for my depression is because I feel alone. My mother plays a big role in feeling better. She has constantly supported me. I think if I get support from my healthcare providers and family I will be fine.

I have never been more depressed than when on invega. In fact, I didn't think it was possible to be as depressed as invega makes me. I have been through a lot of traumatic stuff, but nothing made me feel as bad as invega. It's method of action is guaranteed to cause depression. Dopamine is what makes you feel good. I think you will start to feel better the more that time progresses, because the more that time progresses - the more dopamine will bind.

The fact doctors RX this for treatment resistant depression is ridiculous. It literally blocks the chemical that allows you to feel good. You can't get around that. It's like RXing methamphetamine for treatment resistant insomnia.

If you feel alone, maybe you should get involved with a church or something. Or a soup kitchen. If you have the ability to, that is.

I think as long as you have some type of support you will be fine. I am getting much support from my family at this moment which is what is keeping me going. I've been noticing a change in me. I'm starting to feel more like myself and my body is starting to feel good again. I've been off of the medication for about 3 and 1/2 months and I feel that the medication is really out of my system. I'm trying to find a part-time job in the process so I have something to do and a way to earn more money otherwise life isn't going to get better. I just stopped going to school because of my withdrawal and am already starting to save money when I will go back. It's sort of like a bunch of nonsense but I believe once I feel 100% like myself again things will change. I will have a job and go to school. Once I have that in place I will go to spiritual groups so I can feel mentally/emotionally better.

I think as long as you have some type of support you will be fine. I am getting much support from my family at this moment which is what is keeping me going. I've been noticing a change in me. I'm starting to feel more like myself and my body is starting to feel good again. I've been off of the medication for about 3 and 1/2 months and I feel that the medication is really out of my system. I'm trying to find a part-time job in the process so I have something to do and a way to earn more money otherwise life isn't going to get better. I just stopped going to school because of my withdrawal and am already starting to save money when I will go back. It's sort of like a bunch of nonsense but I believe once I feel 100% like myself again things will change. I will have a job and go to school. Once I have that in place I will go to spiritual groups so I can feel mentally/emotionally better.

TrustInGod, how are you doing?

Is Invega even indicated for Major depression? I don't think it is and speaking from personal experience Risperidone does absolutely nothing to help Bipolar Depression either when taken alone or take with a mood stabilizer or some type of anti-depressant. It's indicated for Bipolar disorder but only in treating Mania or Mixed states.

I know i once had a real bad episode when all i was taking for Bipolar was Risperidone and i was only starting Lamotrigine so i was at most 25mg's a day on that. I had Remeron aka Mirtazapine added to it and maybe less then 2 days after starting the Mirtazapine i actually ended up hanging up a rope in the basement ready to kill myself. Thankfully i came back to reason. But i blame that on not being on a stable dose of a good mood stabilizer that worked for me as it didn't really start to work really well until i hit about 150mg's of Lamotrigine a day. Granted as i guess i would call Risperidone the Haldol of the Atypical anti-psychotics due to it's really strong Dopamine Antagonism and also strong Serotonin Antagonism but little in the way of Anti-Cholinergic or H1 Antagonist effects thus it's not sedating in the same sense Quetiapine (a really strong anti-histamine and fairly strong Anti-Adrenic and some anti-cholinergic effects due to it's main metabolite Norquetiapine) but it is zombifing due to it's rather strong D2 antagonism. I Risperidone to be more zombifying then even old Typicals such as Chlorpromazine aka good ol Largactil, Methotrimeprazine aka Levomepromazine and Prochlorperazine which is basically another moderately strong typical anti-psychotic really only used for nausea and vomiting now.

Invega is Paliperidone in time release pills or IM injections and i really don't see much need for this drug as i have not seen any real evidence that it works any better or with less side effects then Risperidone which Paliperidone is the only major metabolite of and is responsible for most if not all of the pharmacological actions of Risperidone and is thus pretty much the same drug only more expensive. It's also easier to taper using Risperidone as it comes in everything from 0.25mg tablets to 8mg tablets and all can be easily split. With Risperidone and Paliperidone you have to taper taper taper as speaking from experience i would much rather go through Opiate withdrawal anyday over abrupt discontinuation of Risperidone. I was on 2-4mg's of it a day for maybe almost a year then my meds got fucked up and i ended up going so manic even 4mg's of Risperidone with 300mg's of Quetiapine didn't calm me down. The withdrawal from Risperdal usually consists of racing thoughts, severe anxiety and your symptoms coming back with a vengeance. The same goes with Invega from what i have heard and read. But if you taper correctly that can be avoided.

Have you tried any of the anti-psychotics actually indicated for Major Depression such as Quetiapine, Olanzapine or Aripiprazole? I have never taken Abilify aka Aripiprazole but i have taken Seroquel for Bipolar disorder and i found the Quetiapine to work better at treating the depression side of things then the bad manic episodes. Olanzapine especially in the form of Zyprexa Zydis (the wafers) would knock out a manic episode and help the depression and mixed states for me after maybe 20 minutes of taking it. Even older anti-psychotics such as Chlorpromazine helped my depression better then Risperidone which sometimes made me depressed.