• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Serotonin syndrome from dabbing- please help

Smileymcgee50

Greenlighter
Since I was thirteen years old, I have smoked marijuana daily, I am now twenty. For the past two years I consume a half oz a week about two grams a day throughout the day. My tolerance is (was?) very high, I barely felt high at all anymore. About a week ago I awoke and and smoked per usual, I felt normal. My roommate then offered me a dab, and he packed a bowl while getting out the rig. The weed tasted very strange I told him so, but I did not feel anything to indicate it was laced. I then took a small dab, I am used to oil and have smoked it regularly. I got a wicked head rush. We then returned to my room, and I began to get very very high. 30 secs later I stood up fast and demanded to know what was in the dab, because I had never been that high in my life. He said nothing, but was clearly concerned as he knows I am a huge stoner, and that this is not normal. My heart began racing wildly, i started getting intense body chills and getting very hot and I was sweating and twitching, and my pupils felt dilated. I thought I was gonna die, it was terrifying. I was high all night, very strange. The next day I felt very off and spacey, really out of it. I tried to smoke weed, and immediately felt the same way but less intense off of one hit. It has been that way since, I get debilitatingly high off of very small amounts, and its unenjoyable. Does this sound like ss? I've ruled out lacing, potency, and it's completely abnormal to the point I have spent days looking for a cause.Bakery for the long post, I need to find a reason or I'm gonna go insane.

Not serotonin syndrome by a long shot... You underestimated your tolerance and the dab took your ass for a ride.. The ensuing anxiety most likely exacerbated any negative symptoms you were having obviously starting a positive feedback loop meaning by acknowledging the negative symptoms they seem to become more apparent when they were probably already there you just weren't paying attention enough to notice..

Tl;dr
Dab rocked your ass

I've smoked dabs so many times before, and much, much better oil than that was. I actually smoked that same oil the night before,a huge dab and felt nothing of this sort. I know my tolerance well, I'm not some newbie stoner I constantly smoke, and dab a few times a week. Also that doesn't explain why Im getting effected so strongly all of the sudden afterwards. It's as if my tolerance just disappeared which isn't possible. I've ruled out all of the obvious answers, such as I just got too high, or it was really good dabs as it KEEPS happening, and I know what weed/dabs feel like intimately, this was and is, different.

Although I'm far from sure it was SS, if someone has a different explanation I'm all ears. I'm just quite positive that this is not a normal reaction.

You got too high man pretty sure SS isn't possible from thc??
Have you indulged in any phycs recently possibly mdma??

Last edited:
Def not serotonin syndrome, it doesn't work like that. Sounds like you just got really baked or maybe had some type of abnormal reaction like a misfiring of synapses or dump of indigenous psychoactives in the brain. I have no clue just wild speculation I've never experienced anything like that.

I haven't used anything else for 6 mo and that was acid. yea I really didn't think it was possible either, but Nothing else made any sense, unless my tolerance legit disappeared for no reason at all. Perhaps it is synthetic cannaboids? Could they cause ss? I found out one of the dealers who sold the weed that made the oil is a chemistry major, and the. they just upped the price 400$ a lb makes me suspicious as hell why they thought my roommates cousin would be willing to pay that much more out of the blue, since it's def not worth that. I just smoked and am once again high AF off one hit, smoking weed i know for a fact is not laced. I would previously smoke 4 or five bowls and get barely buzzed. I'm going to a doctor, but I have a feeling they'll just say to stop smoking. Just in case they could cause this, I began taking a multivitamin and probiotics before this happened and like three daysbefore started making a concerted effort to eat three meals instead of one. I'm also having digestive issues.

U had a Panic attack..dabs do it to me more than buds but if your having digestive issues id get that checked out but u said u are eating more so of course u could get stomach aches

Last edited:
There's no way you got SS. No cannabinoids can do that, it's impossible. Only way would be if it was laced. You didn't even describe anything that sounds similar to SS.

I thought that it was a panic attack at first too, but I'm not anxious when I smoke now, and it still happens, I doubt the weed was laced with anything other than synthetic cannaboids sense it felt similar to weed just ALOT stronger. Perhaps my digestive problems caused my metabolism to mess up, causing my tolerance to drop, but that doesn't seem possible either. I keep telling myself there nothing wrong with me, but then I smoke and it's incredibly abnormal, based on previous experiences. I keep getting a seriously intense body high similar to opiates, and twitchy as hell. hopefully the doctor will shed some light and fix this I just wanna smoke normal again lol
Tried smoking a bunch to convince myself nothing was wrong, intense Lower leg muscle tremors, like my legs are vibrating, and twitching all over. Very rapid irregular feeling heart beat and an intermittent headache. I'm not anxious at all like it could be a panic attack. Is there any tests i could do for synthetics? I'm positive that this weed was not laced by the dealer so that would mean my roommate is poisoning me which is totally insane I'm aware but I'm running out of explanations, and it's not stopping. The only other explanation is a nerological symptom of some kind, and that's not good at all.

Last edited:
Now your symptoms are sounding like synthetic noids... And he raised the price for bud that's not worth it... He's a Chem major so entirely possible he got some off the Internet and attempted raising the potency of his bud.... The only thing is... Is your friend experiencing these too or is he just getting regular high... Has he smoked synthetic noids before?

Cannabis cannot induce serotonin syndrome, because it is not serotonergic...

in my opinion, you had a panic attack.

I keep telling myself that it was just a panic attack but it KEEPS happening and I'm not agitated or anxious at all when smoking, I just get absurdly high, like one bong hit and I'm uncomfortably high. I'm a psychology major as well so I know a good deal about panic attacks. I am now smoking weed I know for a fact isent laced and it's still happening. It has to be a serious drop in tolerance, and I'm begging to accept that I'm not gonna find an answer as this is an anomaly and I'm gonna have to quit smoking, already my desire to smoke is almost gone as all the enjoyment is gone, and previous to this I couldn't stop to save my life, not even for a day. I'm still going to a doctor, but I have low hopes as it will probably be written off as a panic attack, or worse they might say I'm just getting high. It sucks, I've been a pothead to the core since I was thirteen, and this isent how I wanna end my stonin career. But such is life.

It doesn't sound like SS, or like you are smoking synthetic cannabis, nor does it sound like a panic attack but I don't think anybody here is going to know how or why this happened. Never heard of such a thing. Wish it would happen to me haha

It's plain and simple - you cannot have experienced serotonin syndrome from hash oil. Nope. Not possible. TCH/CBD don't act on SERT, and therefore do not trigger a release of serotonin.

Yea I was hoping someone would have experienced something similar, but obviously not, and peor keep responding to the title telling me shit I've already figure out. Close thread.

you keep getting bad reactions from smoking cannabis because you (sub-consciously) expect it to happen. also a common thing with anxiety/panic.

take a break and put yourself together. if you continue smoking, you might get yourself in a lot of trouble.

Yea I was hoping someone would have experienced something similar, but obviously not, and peor keep responding to the title telling me shit I've already figure out. Close thread.
what do you expect? that people tell you something which isn't true to make you feel better? I for one have lots of personal experience with panic attacks (got diagnosed panic disorder over a year ago) and I also had my first one while smoking weed.
it is the only realistic explanation in my opinion.

btw, don't see everything so final. it doesn't mean that you can't smoke weed ever again. just take your time to put yourself together. I had to abstain over two years from Cannabis, but right now I can smoke again, w/o major problems. ignoring the problem will only make it worse.

Last edited:
Just accept the fact you'll save money and smoke smaller bowls or tiny hits... If you love the physical act of smoking just split a bowl into like 10 tiny very easy to clear single hits so it seems like you're smoking more and it takes longer and you'll get more enjoyment out of it

Respectfully, other people have experienced similar things. You think you're the only person on the planet who has experienced this with cannabis? I'm not coming down on you; just being extremely factual and dry.

Since your 'event' what is the longest period of time that you've taken a break from smoking? Honest question.

You seem determined to convince yourself and/or others that you may have possibly experienced serotonin syndrome; you haven't. Do some more research into ss to convince yourself.

Exactly what happened I don't know, but take a break. Go for a year without smoking.

Tom