• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Plumbing and DIY Thread v. Screwing Some Old Boiler Up Against the Wall

Get on wi it ye lazy cunt. ;)

In other news, those screws I bought don't need to be individually countersunk. So that's improved my productivity by about 33%. I probably didn't need to do it before, so now I'm kinda half chuffed and half feeling like a bellend. C'est la vie. Bah.

I conducted a grand experiment earlier. I can sit comfortably in a camping chair in the middle section. My shortarse wife was showing off by being able to stand and dance around a bit as well. So this area is looking to be a rather useful space.

Tomorrow, I am going to take a short break from loft duties. ;)

I'm going to fit a shelf and a series of hooks into our downstairs shared back passage. This will provide convenient storage for all the neighbours' and our cleaning and gardening shit, which is all currently lying against the wall.

There is also a bicycle there of unknown ownership, which has been there for fucking ages, untouched, and in the way. I am determined to find out its ownership, and if I don't, I'm gonna do one of the following:

1. Hang it on a hook
2. "Accidentally" park it outside and let god sort it out
3. Hoy it in a skip
4. Give it away on Facebook/Freecycle
5. Sell it on eBay
6. Keep it

Does no-one else have any DIY stuff on? Come on. :p

It's never fukin ending, I'm still recovering from last weekends Ikea extravaganza, the final stage of my daughters bedroom makeover type thing, she;s getting to the age where she is living in there.

Putting the stuff together is fine but hauling it to the car then into the house and up the stairs has left my dodgy leg swollen to twice the size of the other, I managed a wardrobe, a dressing table, a computer desk, a bedside table, 2 bookcases and a fancy bed thing that has drawers and also pulls out to a double bed .....and a new light fitting for our bedroom. I'm having at least a couple off weeks off DIY ;)

FWIW I would never share a back passage :sus:

^ Unintentional! Hah.

And Allein - you better have used your own Allein Keys and other tools on that Ikea stuff, not the free shit they give out. Or I'll batter you. ;)

Fek to their woefully inadequate tools, I have all such fittings for the cordless drill with adjustable clutch. Whether from old injuries, motorcycle front brake operating, daily hours of computer use or actual screwdriver operation I get horrible RSI if I use a 'manual' screw driver for any period as I do a normal mouse (have to use a track ball). My hand swells up and can develop an inexplicable bruise....

*** insert soft southerner and masturbation comments as required ***

I recently threw out about a dozen Ikea allen keys we'd been hoarding for some reason. They are absolutely pitiful shite. I always use my own stuff too, there's nothing more satisfying than using the Bosch cordless screwdriver with the right bit for the job. And no, I'm the last person to have a go at you for using powered stuff, I'm the same. Tennis Elbow. Which miraculously seems to be cured for now, even after all this loft work. Thank fuck.

Fitted those hooks in the downstairs hallway, and made a reasonable job of it. The shelf can wait. I also discovered a heap of nails and decorating equipment that must have been left by the original builders. Free stuff. ;)

Got visitors this weekend so taking a break from the loft. There is mahogany sawdust fucking everywhere so I better get it cleaned up.

Major achievement unlocked - middle section complete at last:

whiR6ur.jpg

Looks kinda rough from this angle, but it'll do. If I'm really bored some day I'll scrub off that white emulsion.

Next up is lifting up about a third of the left section and re-doing it properly. Then I have to fill in the bits joining those two sections, which will be tricky but satisfying, I'm sure. :)

p.s. it's amazing how productive and accurate you can be when you do this sober. ;)

You did THAT sober?

Attics are grim.. this one's even got white ectoplasm everywhere. No way you'd find me sober in there

Built a test tube rack a little while back, manually drilled the holes with the bench drill press and then nailed it together, gave it a going over with black spray laccquer. looks pretty good.

Unfortunately, I also have had rather a setback. The power supply I'd been using for various electrolytic processes, usually electrolysis of NaOH, KOH or the euctectic mixture of the two, to produce NaK alloy, damn thing overloaded and fried itself :( Going to have to buy a constant current supply. Just fucking wonderful, last thing I need is to fork out a bunck of money, I need all I've got to save up for a new vacuum pump.

Anyway, I've half done me kitchen already, and I only started in January.:\

Still working on the kitchen - hell, it's only been three and a half years. But in my defence, I have totally renovated the bathroom and my daughter's bedroom since then.

(Wife still thinks I'm a cunt though...)

A decent power pack is essential for any laboratory, and you may as well get one a bit more powerful than you think you'll need, precisely to avoid running it near its limits. Mind, the same can be said of a vacuum pump .....

My vacuum pump only has a bulbous thing at the end that you squeeze. Doesn't make me cock any bigger - might as well just squeeze my own bulbous end...

Quite. Managed to accidentally screw up my rotary vane pump whilst pumping down a vacuum chamber, after finding out residues of a mixture of n-butyric anhydride and cinnamyl chloride had wormed its way into the pump, and no matter how many oil changes, it was just determined to slowly hydrolyze that anhydride, and belch forth the most unpleasant smelling cloud of..well it can best be described as spiced sick. And I hate cinnamon to begin with. Stank the place up for several months, every time it got used, it stank like someone barfed in a spice rack. Not a nice combination at all. And then finally it died on me during a vacuum distilation in the middle of a heatwave, hadn't realised how badly, having just changed the oil, how badly it had been overheating, until I put my hand on the outside and got burnt.

I've heard of people making old refrigerator compressors into vacuum pumps. Never tried it myself, though I can see it working at least to some extent. There's bound to be some video on The Usual Place if you search refrigerator vacuum pump showing how to do it. It might tide you over till you can afford a better one. One thing I have learned about instructional vids after all these years is: Anytime there's a sudden jump-cut, the bit they omitted was most probably either very hard or very messy, if not both. Like where this guy is unscrewing the fuel tank off the strimmer in one scene; then, in the very next shot, there are the brand new fuel pipes, freshly-installed, and he's just about to drop the fuel filter back in through the filler before refitting the tank. Although to be fair, the soundtrack to the bit where he was actually poking the pipes through the holes in the tank -- which are actually slightly too small, so as to give a good seal, and everything is slippery a.f. from the two-stroke mix residues in the tank -- most probably would not have been fit to broadcast .....

Might be good enough if they were chained in series.

And I've a distinct feeling I know just what you mean about not fit to broadcast. I've had a few moments like that myself. The sort of thing any youtube video would definitely have cut. A broken flask once, hairline crack suddenly formed and tore round the bottom half of the RBF, jumped out of the way just in time to dodge about a liter of chromyl chloride and 98% H2SO4 at about 125 'C, basically boiling hot chromic acid bath with a load of NaCl in it (forms chromyl chloride, CrO2Cl2, useful for some surprisingly delicate transformations of carbonyl compounds, the Etard reaction, for example, despite its being such a vicious little bastard of a customer that it has a nasty habit of making solvents burst into flame if someone picks rhe wrong one, which is most of them=D

That definitely wouldn't have made the cut, shit, it was probably a good thing it was indoors, so the neghbors didn't hear anything after nearly being melted to the bone from the waist down. I kinda have an attachment to certain parts of me that probably brings out the worst in most males faced with the imminent potential to have said parts roasted off...

I can just picture,,,someone putting their how-to video together and going over it after to remove all the bits where it didn't go to plan and they got a face full of rancid stinking grease=D

I know 'those moments' all too well. The times when it SHOULD have worked, according to the theory, but something threw a spanner in the works, so to speak?
My back lawn is covered in the scars from them often as not. Or occasionally growing in ways plants shouldn't, unnaturally fast and well-built in places, in others nothing will grow (I've found white phosphorus flames do REALLY funky stuff to a garden lawn. First it gets the obvious roasting, anything there killed off, but then, nothing grows at first, due to the phosphoric acid left behind by hydration of the phosphorus pentoxide acid smog cloud, the land gets made too acidic for anything to grow, then as its diluted, the paths that the willy pete takes when it goes up in flames and sends glowing incendiary streamers flying down the garden when 'one of those days' happens, it acts as fertilizer, the phosphate enrichment, and you can actually see exactly where the firestorm went=D

Again, I think the neighbors would have disapproved if they'd have heard the cursing after that incident. I know exactly what you mean there julie.

Edit-and sticking one's sausage in a vac line? that wouldn't end well. Hilarious, but only if its somebody else being turned inside out :p