• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Plumbing and DIY Thread v. Screwing Some Old Boiler Up Against the Wall

^ The day you posted that, I'd just bought a 4 pack of Poundland masking tape. I've felt inferior ever since. :|

I've just cleaned up this little analogue robot that used to be my dad's.

NXUdTT9.jpg

Nice. Those helping hands are ace. I've got one somewhere, but it's rusted to fuck. Can I send you mine so you can clean it up to that standard for me? :)

OK. But only if you tell me how to get rid of those indentations on my otherwise pristine white desk where I stupidly wired a plug without putting something down first (i.e. my sacrificial slab of pine). If I had a pound for every time I've tried to "wipe" them off, I'd be a very rich man and would just buy a new desk. ;)

Yeah, I know. :|

When you have the back of a plug open, you tighten up the cable grip bit and screw in the two screws. I did it against the desk instead of against my fucking HAND as usual or a bit of wood, or whatever.

These white desks are nice but they don't half show up every fucking little thing.

I soon learned to start the cord grip screws in their holes either side of the cable, then temporarily ledge the cover of the plug in place while tightening them fully. I don't need to offer any explanation as to why tightening against your own hand is a bad idea; and the plug cover is usually the nearest thing to hand that will serve the purpose of protecting you. In fact, if you give all the terminals a quick final tighten before popping the cover into place, you won't even need to take it off again, and can jsut fasten the main cover screw once the cord grip screws are properly tightened.

Thanks for the advice Julie, I'll bear it mind next time.

Loft flooring update. I know everyone's been wondering. %)

I'm cooking with gas now. After being paralysed by amateurish indecision, I've battered on and done about 20 square metres worth, but properly this time.

I pulled up about two-thirds of what I'd done already, annoyed with myself that I hadn't really utilised the tongue & groove properly because of differing joist heights, and lengths of board JUST missing the joists by millimetres, and being an amateur/drugged up/drunk DIYer. The obvious solution was to just add more width to those joists with some spare pine. Well, it's obvious once you've fucking thought about it. 8(

Anyway. That probably doesn't make sense but I'll take a photo at my next project milestone. ;)

Loft flooring update. I know everyone's been wondering. %)

I'm cooking with gas now. After being paralysed by MXE I've battered on and done about 20 square metres worth, but properly this time.

I pulled up about two-thirds of what I'd done already, annoyed with myself that I hadn't really utilised the tongue & groove properly because of differing joist heights, and lengths of board JUST missing the joists by millimetres, and being an amateur/drugged up/drunk DIYer. The obvious solution was to just add more width to those joists with some spare pine. Well, it's obvious once you've fucking thought about it. 8(

Anyway. That probably doesn't make sense but I'll take a photo at my next project milestone. ;)

Edited to reflect reality. ;)

^
It made a big noise 8(

I had to shut myself in the tower room with the cats who were terrified, we listened to radio 4 loud :D

Julie, someone? How toxic is roof insulation?

The man is up there doing his thing and our new funky loft ladder system he installed means there's exposure not only to him but down stairs. Is this something I should be worried about.

He say's he's wearing a mask...but you know men :\

Well, it didn't kill me ..... But I got it covered up pretty sharpish. Also, the modern stuff probably isn't as dangerous as the older stuff (which mine was).