• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Phenibut. Good Lord.

Like to think it's possible to use the substance as you would any other psychiatric med. There have been success stories of people using it continuously for years.it seems to have a better success rate if the dosage is kept close to 1 g a day. I've read extensively people's experiences using it as well as studies and am not convinced that it can't be used successfully. Everyone's physiology is slightly different as well as their ability to control their use of a substance. I have had such a good response to it that I would like to think that I could continue with periodic cycling off. I have kept my use below 1 g so far in the two weeks I've taken it and have not seen much change in its effect. Am I tilting at windmills or is it possible to use on a long-term basis? And if I don't only lasted a couple of years, it would be worth the one week of shitty withdrawal symptoms. I had to kick a90 mg a day Adderall use and that took months.

I just wanted to update. I'm still on phenibut. When I created this post I believed I was on around 1.5g because I was using the included scoop to measure. I have sourced a 0.01 scale and it turns out I've been taking around 3g. I have successfully tapered 100mg per day down to 2.5g over 5 days now with no noticeable side effects. I plan on continuing this taper to try and get off phenibut.
My plan is to keep reducing my dose 100mg per day, hopefully making it to 0mg with no w\d. If it gets to a point where I'm still tapering and w\d presents itself, I will jump off to avoid prolonging the negative effects.
I have 5 2mg xanax bars stashed away for when\if I have to jump off cold turkey. I plan to use these in .5mg dosages when I'm at work and to sleep. I'm worried this may prolong the w\d due to a post I recently read stating at high dosages phenibut has a spillover effect on GABA-A. Does anyone know if this is true?
I also just ordered a pound of Fijan Kava root and a tub of L-Theanine. I'm not hoping these will cure w\d but just take the edge off. I will not be using the alprazolam\kava\Theanine until I completely stop taking the phenibut.
Ill keep this thread updated and let y'all know how it's going. I hope to be off phenibut completely in a month or less.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!

Wow man, sorry to hear it hit you that hard. Also, good on you for buying a legit scale. 3g a day, ouch, that's heavy, but I too was taking at least that much every day for at least 2 weeks, and similar doses quite often thereafter, and never got hit with anything truly debilitating. Keep going with the taper until you're ready to jump off. I think you can do more than 100mg a day, or perhaps do 500mg every 2-3 days? I have found that phenibut will still have an effect on social anxiety levels even in a far smaller dose. To make a long story short, I too have gotten into phenibut a bit more lately, and have started tapering back down simply to avoid any residual effect, and today a mere 1g dose worked wonders.

Stick with it, come here for support, and whatever you do, TRY NOT to take a bigger dose on a particularly rough day. The whole basis of kicking a drug is re-learning how to get through the day without a crutch.

Good luck!!

I took my scheduled 2.4g dose with no I'll effects today. Over the last 2 week's my lungs have been pretty messed up due to the after effects of a lovely week I had swine flu and vaped high vg e juice out of a high powered e cigarette the entire time. It seems to be getting worst, but I can't afford to see a doctor. I'm worried that my inability to breathe properly will fuck with my anxiety during this taper but I'm still going to push forward with it.
What I find very, very interesting, is that at this point my dosages of phenibut have only made me feel "normal" and killed my anxiety. Well I took a mucinex 1200 containing 60mg of dxm 2 hours ago to help my lungs, and I am feeling absolutely euphoric. It's as if the small dose of dxm enhanced the phenibut 10x. Should I be worried about this? Will this somehow fuck with my taper?

Oh and Seattle_Stranger, I've contemplated maybe not getting off completely. Maybe tapering down to 1g and see if it still produces the anti-anxiety effects I originally started using it for. But I'm not sure if long term daily usage is a good idea, which is why I'm tapering off. How long have you been using phenibut? Would you say it still works for you? I appreciate all your advice.

Last edited:
I took my scheduled 2.4g dose with no I'll effects today. Over the last 2 week's my lungs have been pretty messed up due to the after effects of a lovely week I had swine flu and vaped high vg e juice out of a high powered e cigarette the entire time. It seems to be getting worst, but I can't afford to see a doctor. I'm worried that my inability to breathe properly will fuck with my anxiety during this taper but I'm still going to push forward with it.
What I find very, very interesting, is that at this point my dosages of phenibut have only made me feel "normal" and killed my anxiety. Well I took a mucinex 1200 containing 60mg of dxm 2 hours ago to help my lungs, and I am feeling absolutely euphoric. It's as if the small dose of dxm enhanced the phenibut 10x. Should I be worried about this? Will this somehow fuck with my taper?

Oh and Seattle_Stranger, I've contemplated maybe not getting off completely. Maybe tapering down to 1g and see if it still produces the anti-anxiety effects I originally started using it for. But I'm not sure if long term daily usage is a good idea, which is why I'm tapering off. How long have you been using phenibut? Would you say it still works for you? I appreciate all your advice.
Since DXM has /some/ depressant effects on the CNS. It would potentiate (sp?) a bit, I've personally never had the combo, and never went past 2.2g's of Phenibut. But if you feel like you need to stay at a dose (Say you get down to 1.5g's and doing 1.4g's gave you a fair bit more of a problem than you wanted) then stay at that dose until you feel comfy going down further. Don't try to rush it.

I wouldn't worry about DXM + Phenibut, unless you kept doing it to potentiate the effects of the Phenibut. Especially if you're staying at a low dose (30-60mg's) of DXM. But it can be dangerous if you up either of them.

I've heard the horror stories of Phenibut withdrawal and, they do not sound fun at all, and very sporadic, like you said, people can stay at 2 grams + for a long time, and not have any problem getting off of it. Yet some would have incredible difficulty getting off of it. Which is why I've always kept it using it once/twice a week, and sometimes taking up to say a three month break. Which in my opinion grants the best results.

You seem to be doing just fine with the taper, and also doing it wisely. I hope you start to feel better my friend.

Dropped down to 2.2g today. Im starting to feel a bit of anxiety kick in but it was a rather stressful day at work. I'm thinking I may need to give my drops a bit of time to adjust themselves. Like once I get to 2g maybe stay at that for 3 days and then start back to dropping 100mg a day. Then do the same for 1.5g, 1g, and .5g.
I'm trying to make this as painless as possible because I can't afford to be an anxious wreck at work. I'm afraid maybe I'm going too slow though and it's going to catch up with me and just stop working. I wish there was an easy way out of this. I'd honestly pay all the money I have if there was a magic button I could push that would make me instantly not addicted to phenibut.

I'm still stuck at 2g and am dealing with quite a bit of anxiety and insomnia. I'm going to try and drop down to 1.9g or 1.8g in a day or two. It's been a long week. My nerves are shot.
Oh and I lost my job. If I didn't feel like I'd have a mental breakdown and be institutionalized now would be the perfect time to go cold turkey and get it over with. Lol.

Yeah Phenibut is some serious stuff. I have withdrawn from all sorts of drugs. Phen withdrawal was just fucking weird. I thought I was going insane basically. You might want to consider seeing a doctor. You can tell them the medicine is similar to Baclofen.

Man my doctor doesn't care. Over tried explaining it to him twice now. The first time he told me to flush everything I have left. The second time he tried to put me on celexa of all things. I even printed out detailed information on phenibut and brought it in. Practically begged for neurontin.

I'm still stuck on this bullshit. I'm at 1.6g once a day. Part of me just wants to go flush what's left of my tub and deal with it.

The only other medication I take is zyrtec for allergies. I also am a heavy e cigarette user. I vape all day long at 12mg nicotine.

I would only cold turkey it if ya got a stock of meds to help like benzos/gabapentin/pregabalin. Phenibut wd was real shitty for me (like a constant panic attack and weird primordial fear) even though I did tons of opiates all the way through it. But it's all over pretty fast after 6-7 days. Your doctor sounds like the typical dr. dickhead. I've heard gabapentin can be found pretty easily online as it's uncontrolled so you wouldn't have to worry about legal repercussions.

I hesitate to offer this advice, but your doctor is not helping. Gabapentin is found very easily online, however, nobody here can tell you where to get it. Do some research. Gabapentin is basically a wonder drug for Phenibut withdrawal.

I have about 5 2mg xanax bars and a pound of high quality Fijian kava. I'm not sure if that'll be enough. I plan to cut the bars down to .5mg dosages and take 3-4 pieces a day for the first 3-5 days then use the kava. I don't want to risk getting dependent on benzos, but a week of use won't do that, right? I can get some klonopin if I need more.
I do have a source for gabapentin now but it'd be shipped from overseas. If I go that route, how should I dose it? Should I use the same dose every day or lower it every other day or so? I have no idea what a good dose of gabapentin would be.
I've tapered my phenibut down to 1.5g successfully for the last 3 days and I'm going to drop to 1.4g tomorrow. Then keep going slowly and see where that gets me.

Benzos build tolerance and physical dependance a LOT more slowly than phenibut ime. Phenibut feels good and all, almost like a mix of booze and amphetamine without the stumbly drunkeness, but I've come to the conclusion that the rebound symptoms it causes for me makes it not worth indulging in.

i came off a 4 grams a day phenibut habit using neurontin..i had 300 mg neurontin pills...i stopped phenibut altogether one night and i took a single 300 mg neurontin pill..the next morning i took another 300 mg pill and later that afternoon i took another..so, i was taking 600 mgs of neurontin a day and 90% of my phenibut withdrawals were gone..i simply took neurontin like this for 5-6 days and then got off and that was it..i had very minor withdrawals like insomnia and some anxiety but i suffer from those things completely sober so..again, take 600 mgs of neurontin for 4-5 days and get off you should be fine..

Alright guys well I've got some gabapentin coming from what I've heard to be a reliable source. I'm going to continue my taper until it gets here and then try and jump off onto it. I guess I'll save the xanax and kava I have for an as need basis. I would assume I shouldn't mix benzos and gabapentin? I've been really good at not mixing phenibut with benzos or booze. I don't need no dual withdrawal bullshit.

Okay, so for the last month or so, I've been having breathing problems. It feels as if I can get a full deep breath. I didn't even attribute this to my taper, I've been blaming it on my e cig. So I go to the er tonight, and they run all the tests and x rays and say my lungs are perfectly fine. I have a 98% oxygen rate. So basically I think I've been having a month long panic attack from my phenibut taper and not even noticed.
I came clean to the doctor and gave her my full phenibut story, and got her to read detailed info on phenibut. I asked for gabapentin, and this chick gave me "Vistaril". What the fuck is this? She told me to continue tapering the phenibut and use the vistaril as needed. Is that even safe?