• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dying To Be Free

One of the best articles on heroin addiction I have ever read! I wanted to throw my iPad into the wall and scream profanity during some of the parts. I wanted to cry in stigma and shame during others. It really captured the defeat and hopelessness of the situation.

Great article.. thanks for posting this.

If I were picking up my son or a loved one from rehab we would be driving straight to a pre scheduled appointment for a naltrexone shot.

The fellowship approach is a failure in so many tragic ways.

So realtalkloc what besides it being to long did you think about the investigation? Did anything stick out to you? Did you disagree with parts or agree with parts of the investigation. I was rather surprised by how hard it was for some clients to get Buprenorphine covered by their insurance in the state of Kentucky. The lack of evidenced based treatment options in some of the rehabs was disturbing.

As bad as treatment is now, it was straight fucked up in the 40's, 50's, and several other decades.

I couldn't imagine being in heroin WD and having to hold down patients while they receive electric shock. I'm pretty sure I would cry. Maybe not while it was happening, but certainly after.

Though it is apparently hard to get treatment in many areas of the country. The article mainly focuses on the shortcomings of Kentucky and some neighboring states, but it's pretty much the overall way that treatment is handled. It seems ridiculous that people think one type of treatment will work for all drug and alcohol addiction.

I'm not sure how it is in other cities but in Baltimore city if you're a dope addict they will actually give you meth. The county has just started to do that as well, I guess since there are so many addicts getting the meth it could reduce The violence in jail among Dope heads.

Though it is apparently hard to get treatment in many areas of the country. The article mainly focuses on the shortcomings of Kentucky and some neighboring states, but it's pretty much the overall way that treatment is handled. It seems ridiculous that people think one type of treatment will work for all drug and alcohol addiction.

The article could have substituted Alabama for Kentucky and still been fairly accurate. The rehab industry in alabama ignores science and then treats that ignorance like its a badge of honor. Its sick that so many of us are dying so these people can confirm there personal beliefs on addiction.

That's because it is indeed ridiculous. And comments made by people like 'Perry Zimmerman' who seem convinced that their "one size fits all" pearls of wisdom applies to everyone just the same - when in fact nothing could be further from the truth - really need to wake the fuck up.

It is human nature to be inherently different; to prefer different sights, sounds, tastes, looks, highs, etc. And comments made by people like this Perry Zimmerman fellow fundamentally contradict this.

Someone needs to post this in Sober Living!!!! Great article and couldn't agree more with the whole thing!