• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate Question

Branggen

Bluelighter
Will tapering, as opposed to going cold turkey, reduce paws length or symptoms at all or worsen them?:)

Well, if done correctly - ie. it takes will power of steel! - it should reduce them a great deal! Especially if done properly. Make the biggest reductions in the beginning. Sounds strange, yes - but it makes sense. You have to accept right from the start you will no longer be in it for the high or the euphoria, and that I know from experience is very hard to do, especially when you know you have substance on hand that will give you what you will be missing. That being said, here's an example tapering schedule. Let's say your usual day consists of 10 - doses, pills, whatever. Go ahead and cut that in half - spreading that out evenly through the day, and begin from there to work it down, spending more days on less doses, until you are done and free of the habit you desire to free yourself from.
Usual daily: 10
Day 2: 5
Day 3:4
Day 4:4
Day 5:3
Day 6:3
Day 7:2
Day 8:2
Day 9:2
Day 10:2
Day 11:1
Day 12:1
Day 13:1
Day 14:1
Day 15: 1/2
Day 16:1/2
Day 17:1/2
Day 18:1/2

For me, having Imodium AD on hand helps, as does Ibuprofen, a light sedative / benzo (best to have a certain amount that you can not get more of - I find it easy to jump from Opiate addiction to Benzo dependance ) Tylenol PM helps for some, too- easy, light foods, have access to movies or other distractions to keep your mind off it, and never underestimate the comfort value of a good, hot bath. Feels great to relax and helps body aches, too! I wish you all the best with this. It's tough for most - but it's far from impossible. I possible, tell a best friend or relative what you'll be doing so you will have some support. Get your supplies ready, Have your mind firmly set on your goal, and do it for yourself and your future! Never hesitate to pm someone on here or call a helpline. You can do whatever it is that you set your mind to! ;)
P.S. Stay hydrated!!

Last edited:
This is great advice. Also you should write down the reasons your getting clean. Then place it somewhere you will see it multiple times a day. It really helps. Good luck and stay strong.

if you smoke weed..... get alot.

if you dont, dont start, but anything to relax is useful. avoid chocolate, sex, and anything else that releases dopamine, it will prolong the pain.

Will tapering, as opposed to going cold turkey, reduce paws length or symptoms at all or worsen them?:)

PAWS are what some people go through after the go through the inital WDs... tapering always helps with the inital kick tho...
i just hit four weeks clean (almost five now) and last week outa no where i started having crazy vivid dreams about getting high and would wake up with my mouth watering and almost able to taste some dope... it wasnt like full blown WDs all over again but i was getting cold sweat and just felt uncomfortable... i cant do anything about it either or im spend a lil bit of time in regional... sooo i just had to suck it up and deal with it and after 4-5 days they went away completly... now if i could only get my sleep schudel back on track id be set lol....

anyways dont look to far down the road... just think about getting through today...

This is great advice. Also you should write down the reasons your getting clean. Then place it somewhere you will see it multiple times a day. It really helps. Good luck and stay strong.

I actually did that, wrote it all down and kept a calendar with big red "X" marks over every sober day. I'll admit at first I'd see it and kinda look at it with contempt! lol! But as those big, red "X's" added up, I actually started to smile every time I saw it! This is good advice

i just hit four weeks clean (almost five now) and last week outa no where i started having crazy vivid dreams about getting high and would wake up with my mouth watering and almost able to taste some dope... it wasnt like full blown WDs all over again but i was getting cold sweat and just felt uncomfortable... i cant do anything about it either or im spend a lil bit of time in regional... sooo i just had to suck it up and deal with it and after 4-5 days they went away completly... now if i could only get my sleep schudel back on track id be set lol....

anyways dont look to far down the road... just think about getting through today...

a great big "FUCK YES!!!" for over a month of being clean!! Right on and congrats to you! The regulating of my sleep schedule was the absolute hardest thing for me. Tried everything - and when it all came down, just letting it run it's course was what eventually allowed me to have a natural sleep schedule again. It's tough, sleepless nights bring far too many memories and temptations, but slow and sure your natural body rhythms will return to you ;)

a great big "FUCK YES!!!" for over a month of being clean!! Right on and congrats to you! The regulating of my sleep schedule was the absolute hardest thing for me. Tried everything - and when it all came down, just letting it run it's course was what eventually allowed me to have a natural sleep schedule again. It's tough, sleepless nights bring far too many memories and temptations, but slow and sure your natural body rhythms will return to you ;)

thank you...

its one of those situations where wen i got in trouble i thought it was the end of my world, but now its been a couple months (did slip up and thats why its only 5 and not 8 weeks lol) and i can look back at how much crazy shit and running i was doing that it was a blessing cause i really was just to the point where i didnt give a fuck about anything... but now i have to face the consequences of all those actions i took to get high but i guess thats life (thankfully i wasnt doin BnEs or robbing ppl... that shit would be way more embarassing and have more of a stigma then "helping" ppl out who were tryin to get high too.... i just told my family that i had an addiction and atleast i was working to support it instead of stealing) but as far as the sleep idk, ever since i was little i would stay up all night... that shit just runs in my family... anyways thanks for the support, can nvr get enough of it thats for sure....

Still looking for an answer as to whether or not PAW is reduced/less likely when tapering as opposed to going cold turkey. I understand tapering helps with the initial withdrawal but im wondering about PAW

I find sex can help...ime anyway. Makes you feel good non-chemically.

Sorry, I don't know about the PAWS issue...I tapered off methadone/other opiates, but the PAWS is still up and down. Have you been using a long time?

yes, it will reduce if you TAPER rather than DROP completely; been there, done that. both roads, actually. last time I just dropped completely and it sucked and lasted 3 weeks to a month; other times I've tapered w/ dope or 80's back in the day and was able to just come off w/ time and slowly stop using but it was always something that dragged out cuz I couldnt stop which is why I just STOPPED last time rather than taper. but yes, taper works if you have the ability to slowly taper and actually STOP.

PAW is a mental thing too, man. trust me. dont even fucking think about it; I just did it recently and stopped w/o a problem and after 3 days in rehab I stopped and stopped using and now using Vivitrol and its only been a few weeks and I feel fine; I also used 5 days ago but still didnt have a actual addiction since leaving rehab.

OP, the length & duration of PAWS depends on how long you've been using as well as the dosage you were on. IMHO, the longer you were taking your doc the worse PAWS can be. Keep in mind not everyone will go through these. A lot rides on if you had a crazy habit as opposed to a light user. Could you give us an indication of your habit & timeline?

Btw, tapering or cold turkey, again IMHO, make no difference in regard to PAWS, again it lies in the quantity you've been taking & the timeline.

Rtp

Last edited:
OP, the length & duration of PAWS depends on how long you've been using as well as the dosage you were on. IMHO, the longer you were taking your doc the worse PAWS can be. Keep in mind not everyone will go through these. A lot rides on if you had a crazy habit as opposed to a light user. Could you give us an indication of your habit & timeline?

Btw, tapering or cold turkey, again IMHO, make no difference in regard to PAWS, again it lies in the quantity you've been taking & the timeline.

Rtp

dont care what anyone says, PAWS has A LOT to do w/ your OWN THOUGHTS as well. I was using for 6-7 years and shooting a gram+ daily for the last 2-3 years, so I had a killer habit and as I said before I didnt feel much; at first when I tried I thought otherwise thinking of PAWS and shit but as time goes on, and you want OUT and to stop, you can get through it, man. just do what you have to do.