• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kava, 5-htp, theanine and other herbal happy pills

Zon

Bluelighter
First I have to say I really feel like my eyes have just been opened... I've been suffering from several kinds of anxiety and stress my whole life but never wanted to take addictive prescription meds so it really shocks me at how stupid I am not knowing that there are completely legal, non addictive herbal supplements which can help with this! So since opening my eyes I've spent hours online, reading about more and more substances highly rated and reviewed for helping people and getting more and more excited like my life is about to change! Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up as much as I am, but I'm sure I am not the first person to go through this.

So anyway, as the people of bluelight have a lot better experience with these sort of things than amazon reviewers I would like to ask what the people on here recommend?

What I'm hoping for is something that can help me to feel more confident when socializing, is ok to mix with (or enhanced by) alcohol and isn't going to make me sleepy or have any other negative affects. And if it's possible to get a bit of a high out of it that would be a bonus ;)

So far I've been reading about 5-htp, Kava, Theanine, Lavender Oil, GABA, Passion flower, and a few others. They all seem amazing but what do you guys think? And how about mixing these or other supplements? I heard someone compare Kava + Caffine to the pills from the movie limitless for example...

Kava (when prepared correctly) and theanine had a notably pleasant effect on my anxiety levels, but I would stop short in calling them pro-social, at least not in the way that something like Phenibut (addicting) was. Don't waste money on GABA it's useless and I can't comment on the others.

I love kava, subtle enough that you can take it every day with no WD. But strong enough to actually relax me. I don't find kava to help me socially though. I really just want to chill when taking kava, I'd rather not get into conversations but everyone is different. I need to try theanine next.

Kava (when prepared correctly) and theanine had a notably pleasant effect on my anxiety levels, but I would stop short in calling them pro-social, at least not in the way that something like Phenibut (addicting) was. Don't waste money on GABA it's useless and I can't comment on the others.

Could you elaborate on preparing it correctly?

I'm leaning more towards L-theanine at the moment as it seems to help more with social confidence, I am definitely curious about Kava though, as well as confused by all the kinds and methods of taking it.

Just get good quality ground kava, preferably not the extracts although I've heard some people liking them more.

You can just eat the powder and get effects. In desperate times I have been known to pack a lip full and just let it sit lol. I actually like the taste of kava, earthy and peppery with a nice numbing sensation.

I think most people recommend blending it with some sort of fat like milk/oil/honey. You can also use strainers to smooth it out. I've never tried making some extravagant recipe so maybe another person will chime in.

How does kava powder taste like?

I had some capsules from whole foods with kava extract, I took a few, a few more, think I took damn near the whole bottle.

Then my fucking heart started beating out my chest, I poisoned myself nearly lol. No anxiety relief, not sure exactly what happened.

I'd be interested in giving it another try, what does it taste like?

It's got an earthy/peppery taste and it numbs your mouth a bit. People say they dislike the taste but its really not bad IMO. If you have ever tasted kratom then you should be able to handle kava. I could never let kratom sit in my mouth like i can with kava.

This is just "waka grade kava" that I have. The kaviar extract kava i have tried and liked. It has a more intense taste but it dissolves almost instantly in water.

But kava isn't a miracle drug, if you are expecting a benzo-like confidence from it look again. It actually feels a little speedy when I first take it, then it chills me out. I don't recommend taking kava right before bed for this reason, give it a few hours to mellow you out. I usually just take a few scoops but you can get a drunk feeling if you consume enough. I got sick when I first got it, since I had no idea what effects to expect and kept eating more until my vision/balance was fucked.

I love kava + cannabis though, quite the combo.

Oh and they say it has reverse tolerance, so maybe if you don't feel your first dose keep dosing small each day?

Last edited: