• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and Shoulder Surgery

throwawaysurgery

Greenlighter
So this is a throwaway account for obvious reasons but I was wondering if it would be safe to take MDMA (all reagent tested) on a sunday and have shoulder surgery repairing my labrum on friday? They will be doing general anesthesia and also be issuing me IV'd antibiotics during the surgery. I would talk to my doctor and anesthesiologist but I am in the military and the drs doing it are also in the military so I wouldn't be safe in being honest with them about doing MDMA 5 days prior. Will i be fine? :) Thanks

the only thing i can think of is that mdma does supress the immune system, which of course would increase your chances of getting an infection, though the literature isn't quite clear how long this lasts. i've found some data for one marker being altered up to 48h after administration of mdma in humans.
so although it's likely that your immune system would be back up to functioning normally for the surgery (most papers talk about infecting animals when they're on mdma or shortly afterwards), we (or i if i missed some relevant research) don't know for sure and considering how serious infections with resistent hospital strains are, the certainly safe (but maybe excessively cautious) option would be not to drop.

Thank you for the reply. Ya that is definitely I didn't think about was the immune system aspect of it. Would the be any adverse interactions to the anesthesia when i go under? Or would there literally be no MDMA left in my system to affect that?

Thank you for the reply. Ya that is definitely I didn't think about was the immune system aspect of it. Would the be any adverse interactions to the anesthesia when i go under? Or would there literally be no MDMA left in my system to affect that?

now that you ask about it (and i looked it up again), cyp2d6 inhibition lasts quite a while. the recovery half life is about 46 hours and it's completely normal only after 10 days...
so depending on the drugs used there might be interactions. the question is if they use anything that gets metabolised by cyp2d6 at all when nearly 10% of the population are poor metabolisers.

Last edited:
now that you ask about it (and i looked it up again), cyp2d6 inhibition lasts quite a while. the recovery half life is about 46 hours and it's completely normal only after 10 days...
so depending on the drugs used there might be interactions. the question is if they use anything that gets metabolised by cyp2d6 at all when nearly 10% of the population are poor metabolisers.

So the only real risk there would be if they used anesthesia that gets metabolized by cyp2d6? If they didn't then the only thing to worry about would be the immune system being low?

So the only real risk there would be if they used anesthesia that gets metabolized by cyp2d6? If they didn't then the only thing to worry about would be the immune system being low?

exactly. i don't know enough about what drugs are commonly used for anaestesia or if they would use such drugs at all when so many people are poor metabolisers anyway. these would certainly have even higher (or lower if it's a prodrug) plasma levels of these drugs than you'd have 5 days after taking mdma.