• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Schizophrenia is a tool to defeat prophets

treezy z

Bluelighter
The time is ripe for a prophet, should God choose to make further revelations. The world is consumed by a spiritual sickness.

I believe the diagnosis of schizophrenia was created to stop this from happening.

To understand what I mean read the book of Ezekiel. They would have had the son of dust strapped to a table.

I doubt it was made for this specific reason. Schizophrenia is a word that is kind of an umbrella term for potentially many things. Words can be a tough thing. Classification.

But, easily, a prohet may be seen as crazy. Or a returned Christ. Many wouldnt understand.

I guess in a way you could say it was present in challenge.

i can turn water into wine. i just need a whole lot of grapes.

Reminds me of a joke I heard....
Why is it that when you talk to God, it's called praying, but when God talks to you, it's called schizophrenia?

I can turn wine into water - does that make me the AntiChrist? :D

There's a guy by name of Julain Jaynes who has a theory that the 'talking to God' phenomenon was related to a different type of mind. He thinks (& I haven't read extensively at all on this) that the older type of mind was split in a way that ours isn't, and that circa 600 BC there was a change and the right and left hemispheres began 'talking' to each other.

He thinks prior to that, the right hemisphere (I think it's this way around) would deliver 'findings' to the left in a way that seemed like we were being spoken to or perhaps given visions.

This would also explain perhaps why God went 'away' and stopped communicating directly to the children of Israel. Once the join was complete, the 'voices' simply became part of the normal thought.

There are quite a number of changes that occurred around that time; it could easily be evidence of what he says.

Also, perhaps prophets were those who still had the older structured minds and so still 'heard' God when most of the people had integrated right and left.

The issue I have with it is the theory is very 'Judaic' in origin - one would expect to find a similar pattern across the world in all religions. I'm not sure that's the case.

I doubt it was made for this specific reason. Schizophrenia is a word that is kind of an umbrella term for potentially many things. Words can be a tough thing. Classification.

I guess in a way you could say it was present in challenge.

Very true!

Everyone are Schizophrenic to some degree. Everyone has to suppress birth traumas and childhood traumas to get on in life. Then they continue to do it to be comfortable.

The difference is to what degree and how they deal with it. Downers make it easier to suppress things, though.

The time is ripe for a prophet, should God choose to make further revelations. The world is consumed by a spiritual sickness.

People have been saying things to this effect since the invention of the printing press. For some people the world is always getting worse, the unholy sinners are always growing in number, etc. Conveniently that is also a mighty good PR campaign for religions. ("The end is coming, repent sinners!")

For a world where e.g. the average human life expectancy is improving, and with people who are hardly qualified to view the situation from a detached, holistic viewpoint, it seems presumptuous to claim that everything is bad and what the world needs is more schizophrenics telling people that God wants them to break into parking meters with a hammer.

Schizophrenia is not really something that should be glorified, it's scary for those who have it, and the people around them.

Everyone are Schizophrenic to some degree. Everyone has to suppress birth traumas and childhood traumas to get on in life.

How are these related? Schizophrenia is way more complex than the result of trauma while young.

It's also a lot more complex than just hearing voices. I think most unmedicated schizophrenics are quite far from being prophets... if they are, why not people with aphasia? At least those "prophets" would have social graces.

Last edited:
I truly believe in schizophrenia there is in the in the definition of what classifies a schizophrenic is they are some kind of prophet to save the world or that they are apart of God and are on a mission to save the world . Now with that being said I truly believe that schizophrenia is not a thing to stop people from calling themselves a prophet an
true prophet of God will come with understanding and wisdom of what the people might think of him and reword or just sort their thoughts to where they won't even think that about him ! An prophet will come with mercy and long suffering and with understanding with a word of truth that matches the Old Testament and New Test ament and that which is in Revelations nothing new is added to it . Only the heavens revelation or perception of what the error might be into or going through at the time of prophesy when given by the prophet the bible dose state that line upon upon line precept upon precept . Then this is an form understanding that he the prophet is not schizophrenic and let's not forget disposition when Jesus was in the water and he was baptized that was the last spoken words that were heard with the native ear ! God then send his Holy Spirit and so forth to write inspired words given by the Holy Spirit which speaks to an prophets spirit through thoughts in man. A word or prophsey is always confirmed by 3 or more witnesses.

Last edited:
I've known a number of people with schizophrenia.
I've also cared for schizophrenics, professionally.
Typically, from my observations, even with medication, they are not highly functional people.

Although people say, "If the second coming appeared, he/she would be labeled schizophrenic," but what they really mean is crazy.
Jesus was, if he existed, an extremely functional and highly educated person capable of processing and articulately re-interpreting complex mythology/literature.

Fundamentalists aren't labeled schizophrenic, by people who know what it means, and neither are prophets.
That isn't just my opinion, it's based on the diagnostic definition of schizophrenia.

Psychiatry cannot prevent prophecy.
Do not underestimate God.

I'm sure many spiritually inspired people have been what can be interpreted as schizotypal/schizophrenic. I can also be perceived that way until I pull myself together (only I can pull myself together).

But when it comes to the great historic figures who went down in history and changed the world forever, like Jesus and Mohammed, I feel pretty sure they must also have excelled in other ways that mattered for people to take so much notice of them. If someone only understands the spiritual things and nothing of this world it's easy to disregard them as someone who just lives in their own world with no connection to this reality.

But if they also understand other aspects of human life better than anyone else, like politics, economy, social issues, etc. people will tend to gather they've come into touch with a fountain of wisdom and be willing to be led by them. I'm also not easily led, but I know how to give up when I know I've been beaten. Or I realise my ego isn't supposed to rule the world just by the force of being my ego.

Last edited:
He must have meant the OP. Your post wasn't indicative of anything like that IMO.

Do you mean prophets are/were more likely to be seen as sociopaths?
I'm not sure how sociopathy makes any more sense than schizophrenia...
(If either of them are, schizophrenia is probably a better fit.)

Care to elaborate?

Last edited:
Historically, I think sociopaths are more likely to be seen as prophets, than schizophrenics.

I don't know about that. I think only someone who has real respect for others will be given spiritual inspiration. They can't really expect much spiritual illumination if they can't even manage that basic step.

At least it will be unbalanced, but maybe that's the kind of prophet you were talking about. I don't really count those who use prophecy as a way to start war or gain other wordly advantages as true prophets, though.

There are also some high-functioning Schizophrenics/Sociopaths who can be very convincing as they practically believe their own lies and delusions. If they're intelligent and in control of how they project themselves. Maybe not that many, but I've come accross a few.

You just tend to believe them until you catch them in an inconsistency.

I don't really want to get into that discussion. I think both can be both. Most seem to end up that way out of environemental damage or childhood experiences.

Typically, from my observations, even with medication, they are not highly functional people.

Many, many schizophrenics are not only functioning but highly functioning people. There are quite a few right here in our little BL community. Read Elyn Saks(or listen on TED) for an example of someone living and thriving despite schizophrenia (or inclusive if it may be a better way to express it). Most schizophrenic people are subjected to ignorance about their condition by society, the medical establishment and the mental health establishment and are generally severely over-drugged--that is often where the dysfunction comes in and not just from the extreme states. People with schizophrenia who live well with a very challenging condition are those that accept they have it and work hard to find a psychiatrist in today's world who will work with them respectfully and carefully to get them on the lowest possible doses of medications for them and can also help them learn strategies that they can use when triggers arise to diffuse the extreme states that lead to hospitalization.