• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

America Is Afraid of People Like Audrey Conn

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Why America Is Afraid of People Like Audrey Conn
The founder of Moderation Management, who died last month, challenged a notion that is comforting but flawed.

Kevin Gallagher | 1/16/15 said:
The untimely passing of Audrey Conn (formerly Kishline), who took her own life last month, prompts some troubling questions about why our culture promotes fear of “addicts” who attempt moderation.

Conn founded the Moderation Management program in 1994, wishing to start a group that did not differentiate between an “alcoholic” and a problem drinker. Yet after media scrutiny and questions about her motives, she eventually changed to believing there was such a difference. In January 2000 she declared that moderation wasn’t the best goal for her, and that she would instead begin attending abstinence-based programs including Alcoholics Anonymous and SMART Recovery. In March of that year, she crashed her car after driving the wrong way down a highway in Washington state while three times over the drunk driving limit, killing a man and his 12-year-old daughter.

Media condemnation ensued, and the National Council on Alcohol and Drug Dependence (NCADD) pronounced it “a harsh lesson for all of society, especially those individuals who collude with the media to continually question abstinence-based treatment.” Conn served three and a half years in prison.

Many people feel a need to confront the “denial” of people like Conn (even though at the time of her crash, she was attempting abstinence, not moderation), to make them “see the light.”

Yet evidence ranging from the recent NESARC study back to the work of the Sobells in the early ‘70s indicates that moderation isn’t just possible, but often probable. People who drank problematically in college, for example, frequently find that family fulfillment and career opportunities lead them down a long-term path of reduced, safer drinking—we all know people whose lives fit such patterns.

Extreme binge drinking in college is often regarded indulgently. But for people who have instead been labeled, at any point in life, with the diagnostic moniker of “alcoholic,” “addict” or “chemically dependent,” a moderation outcome is often not seen as permissible. Our culture finds it necessary to confront and sometimes even ridicule diagnosed people like Audrey Conn who try moderation. Why is this?

I believe that when diagnosed people show themselves capable of moderation, it blurs the line we draw between “normal” and addicted, between society and the marginalized. And this frightens a lot of people who need to see themselves as “normal.”

A clear delineation between “addict” and “normie” can be comforting. I’m not one of them, we tell ourselves, so I must be fine. Blurred, nuanced differences in behavior, on the other hand, pose a worrying question: Is what I’m doing OK?

In this way, the “addict” concept is a representation of society’s own denial—the idea of the diseased and abnormal addict shields most of us from having to explore our own relationships with addictive behaviors.

The French philosopher and social researcher René Girard posited that the scapegoat is the end result of a cultural “mimesis,” or imitation, of what is considered “good” (or desirable). What others show us is “good,” becomes “good” to us. Yet if we all went for the same thing, violence would break out and community survival would be threatened. To explain why everyone cannot have the “good,” society creates the scapegoat, refocusing its members’ hostility against one another onto something or someone else. And the “addict”—incarcerated in huge numbers, blamed for crime, the spread of disease, constant lying and much more—is certainly one kind of scapegoat in our society.

This is not to say that addiction does not exist and cause great harm, or is simply a matter of insufficient willpower. It is, however, something we all get caught up in. You find something (or, sometimes, someone) that makes you feel instantly better, and you want that feeling again. So you repeat whatever it is you did before, again and again and again. But is this really a disease? Something only a few people are capable of? Addictive behaviors manifest themselves in our lives as a response to something that we all face: an existence that often feels overwhelming and absurd.

The belief in an all-or-nothing version of addiction is a crutch that allows us to feel like we can deal with our world, that we can control things that deep down we know we have no control over. Just as we dehumanize people who commit terrible crimes, despite evidence that they’re more like the rest of us than we think, to avoid having to place ourselves in the same category as them, we also carry on marginalizing, separating “addicts” from the rest of us.

DSM-5, the 2013 edition of the psychiatrists’ bible, has finally come to regard substance use disorders as existing on a spectrum, with a range of different levels of severity. But wider society is still not ready for the truth that there is no definitive difference between “addicts” and everyone else, that addiction is just an extreme form of normality.

Until that changes, our attempts to help people who are experiencing addiction will remain fraught with difficulty. And many more people like Audrey Conn will feel our anger for denying us our crutch.
http://www.substance.com/why-america-is-afraid-of-people-like-audrey-conn/19146/

It's also futile to try to point out that everyone gets or is addicted to something, if you are making this point as a filthy drug user you are just making excuses, if you are masquerading as a normal and doing the same it's still dismissed. I hate when people cling way too tightly to a set of ideals and never question if they are right.

It's also futile to try to point out that everyone gets or is addicted to something, if you are making this point as a filthy drug user you are just making excuses, if you are masquerading as a normal and doing the same it's still dismissed.

Why? Just about everyone tends to have a vice; a habit which presents more acute and long term risks than benefits to each of them. Some of these habits are accepted or embraced by society, and some aren't. And the financial, emotional, mental, and physical costs can fluctuate wildly, but the fact remains that they are destructive to whomever partakes in any of them.

Sure - a homeless heroin addict (as an example) might try to reason in this manner with his or her counterpart in order to further validate the habitual use of street purity diacetylmorphine, but that still doesn't make such an argument invalid, or automatically moot. And while they may want to speak for themselves after such a contention, it still doesn't render it irrational, albeit perhaps ironic.

I meant everyone has a habit and I shouldn't be chastised for mine. By futile I meant that it's almost impossible to get this argument through people's heads because they make a special exception for drug addicts.

I meant everyone has a habit and I shouldn't be chastised for mine. By futile I meant that it's almost impossible to get this argument through people's heads because they make a special exception for drug addicts.

Oh, I'm sorry - understood.

Edit - Actually, I have to say that I agree.

If we could just reduce the shame and guilt around drug use, it would be easier for people to seek and accept help.

I grew up with parents in AA off and on and all it left me with was a conviction that we were hopelessly damaged goods. But what actually happened was: we all managed to learn how to reduce our stress and cope with problems and everyone got a lot less crazy, resulting in less need to self-medicate. If we had decided to accept that we were helpless addicts, then we might not have kept trying to sort ourselves out. In some cases, drugs got us into it and drugs got us out -- not acceptable by abstinence standards.

I don't think AA is all bad, but I think it only really helps with the chronic stage just after someone stops abusing alcohol by offering a plan for your next steps, an alternative to drinking at any minute of the day via clumsy group therapy and somewhat better peer therapy. It offers an alternative social group to fill in the gaps when all your old friends are dangerous. And step 5 is a really good thing to do, it releases you to move forward with your life. But staying in AA is like staying in crisis mode, cognitive-behavioral therapy seems much better long term.

i'm doing moderation right now. mostly just weed. i was a BAD drug addict a while back, doing bad shit to support a habit.

when i try abstinence i usually get crazy stressed and end up going on a binge.

if you are making this point as a filthy drug user you are just making excuses

If we could just reduce the shame and guilt around drug use, it would be easier for people to seek and accept help.
I agree with the shame and the guilt thing. Robin Williams was living with unbearable guilt, which was one of the reasons he killed himself. Unfortunately, though, people like falsified aren't helping any of this.

The tone of that statement was entirely sarcastic. I'm sorry no one seemed to understand that, I guess sarcasm isn't well received through text. I was trying to point out that drug users are belittled and punished for choices that most of the time dont harm other people.

I use drugs, I understand what's it's like to be depressed and oppressed.

Last edited:
And step 5 is a really good thing to do, it releases you to move forward with your life. But staying in AA is like staying in crisis mode, cognitive-behavioral therapy seems much better long term.
Good point. I've been thinking lately that going from being a heavy drinker to AA is like going from a maximum security prison to a minimum security one. It's obviously much better, but it leaves you with a limited view. There are some good things about it, though, like step 5. If I had to help someone who couldn't stop drinking, I'd probably tell them to get on baclofen to stop their cravings, and then maybe do steps 4 and 5. They'd have to be careful to ignore most other things about AA, lest its principles seep into your subconscious and do some damage.

Falsified - good to hear. I read your other posts to try to determine your position, but it was unclear.

I use drugs, I understand what's it's like to be depressed and oppressed.

And I'm sure you also understand how frustrating it can be to try and deal with smug individuals who arrogantly trivialize the difficulties and struggles unknown to them on a personal level. Difficulties / struggles which you or I - or anyone really - may face when suffering from depression, oppression, and/or attempting to permanently halt the habitual consumption of our drug(s) of choice. Not that I'm asking for pity, but if only they all truly knew how 'easy' it is not.

That's why I've repeatedly encouraged none other than Peter Hitchens to intimately familiarize his clueless, obnoxious, and ignorant ass with the very substances he has somehow deluded himself into believing he knows so well. I'd wager my tongue that he'd turn over a shockingly contradictory new leaf after a few months spent consuming a potent µ-opioid full agonist thrice daily - ideally diacetylmorphine / heroin administered intravenously. I swear he's beginning to remind me of a 21st Century British offshoot of Harry Anslinger. And too bad his brother is not around anymore - I truly miss Christopher, but I digress.

Wow I didn't know about Christopher's brother, I just now read up on peter and he seems to be almost the complete opposite of Christopher. I miss Christopher Hitchens as well.