• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How can the sitter make tripper feel more comfortable & have a good experience?

Bigfeely123

Bluelighter
Hello, I know someone who wants to try psilocybin mushrooms for the first time. They have smoked a lot of cannabis in the past. The dose would be a fairly lower/moderate dose for a beginner-definitely lower than 3 grams but a little more than 1 gram (dried). The person asked if I could take them as well so they wouldn't feel out of place (I was going to take a dose of about 2.5/3.0 grams dried.)

I want to make them feel comfortable & have a good time. I have told them in the past that magic mushrooms are not a drug like cocaine, heroin, meth, stuff like that so the last thing I want to happen is for them to freak out & think I am full of it.

I was thinking about maybe watching their favorite movie with them, listening to some music, possibly smoking a joint, or whatever they feel like doing.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you folks. :)

First remind them they chose to feel the effects of the drug, and it will end.

Reinforce anything strange they say or feel. Responding negativley will alienate them and make them feel further out.

Remind both yourself, and them, that any feeling or thought is safe and to ride the experience openly.

Be willing to drop any plans and give in to the path of the experience.

Dont continually ask the person if they are better. Let them float with it.

All people react to substances differently. It comes in waves. Keep in mind they may sober up only to peak heavily in an hour.

Great advice, I appreciate it very much. I have not taken mushrooms with another person in a very long time so I wanted to make sure that this goes positive.

Reading some of these things made me think that if the person I was with (when the first time I ever experienced psilocybin mushrooms) knew some of these things I would have had a better time. Especially the second line you write. I remember I'd say really bizarre or nonsense things and they'd be like, "haha dude you're just tripping" and that would hit me so hard for some reason & make me feel like I was literally going insane.

Thank you for your response! :)

First off; with writting this please understand i have a certain perspective on tripping. please take your own perspective into your consideration; no one has a "right" or "wrong" way to experience psychedelics.

I strongly agree with the second line; i always feel like tripping is sacred and special. So i don't like for it to be "just tripping" because honestly: when i'm "tripping balls" it's just not that simple! my Mood and Perception is just completely "drunk" off it's Serotonin supply (or the receptor is being "fucked with" by Psychedelic Chemicals in a less professional way of putting it perhaps), color and texture is like; different. it's all hard to put into words to be honest; at least a few words.

thoughts and "normalcy" are different; probably due to Serotonin Alteration which changes how i perceive and process information and stimulus. I realize i think much more Atypically and Imaginatively and Atypical thought is more profoundly understood; furthermore so is typical thinking affected and altered; sometimes i can think atypically and neuro-typically at the same time. Plus i have special needs through Autism, Bipolar, And ADHD; which means that the person i'm being sat by should understand how psychedelics affect my Spectrums of mental phenomena's/"Disorders" so to speak; basically they have to get to know me first hand and understand both my Atypical and "neuro-typical" thought process.

that's another thing i want to add; it would be seriously helpful and detrimental to prepare and integrate through intense, committed psychotherapy: where you get to know the individual who is going to be using the specified Psychedelic Drug as much as possible for a length of at least One to Three Months; if not a full year or two for truly serious candidates (a good trip sitter is someone who already meets this criteria; someone you seriously trust: another good candidate would be a therapist of some kind who understands you and has a bond of trust with you). Three months sounds like a long wait; but it is harm reductive to your experience. an experience will be much easier to handle, predict, and understand with more knowledge and relationship involvement with the individuals involved within the experience.

You should also understand that reading trip reports isn't the best way to prepare imo; it is an important process. a person should take at least a month or more to research trip reports of the specified drug. This by no means tells you how it will effect you; but it does give you a foothold into the experience; both crisis situation ("bad" trip) and heavenly experience; or more professionally "it gives you a foothold into different spectrum's of Psychedelic Experiences"; key word - Spectrum. i love that word.

Another thing i want to talk about is the importance of Set and Setting. We'll start with debate-ably the initially important factor; Set

Set:Set Refers to The individual; perhaps the "plot" of the "play"; or just the fundamentals of what makes up the experience through the individuals perspective. set is very important in understanding how a Psychedelic Drug will affect a person. Set can include Physical, Emotional, Social, and Behavioral Factors:

Set is You. It is your preconceived ideas and bias's and perspectives and viewpoints. it's your metabolism, body weight, height, and physical, emotional, and mental activity. set is also your psychology; which when we get into psychology and psychedelics it really gets interesting.

Set is important to think about during your preparation; which is pretty much a part of your set.

In my opinion if you have a healthy body, mind, and emotional life; you have a "good" set going for you. if you don't excersize healthfully with a balanced nutritional diet, have an unhealthy mindset and perspective about your situation, and have little emotional contact: you don't have a "good" set going for you IME; at the same time it's also dependant on your setting as well.

then there's setting which deals with environmental factors; like "who are you with?" "what is your relationship with that person?" "where are you?" "what is your relationship with your surroundings?" "are you engaged in activities? or just sitting quietly meditating or something?" "how long are you staying in a specified place? will you be moving around?". stuff like that.

set and setting are important to think about for the specific plan you have.(if you have a plan; some people don't take it so seriously; personally i'm trying to take it more seriously to see how it effects my trips but that's a part of my set; specifically a part of my intentions and preconcieved ideal of tripping)

i think that when you understand tripping itself, psychology, constructive psychedelic use, and destructive psychedelic use: you can essentially understand the way a person might have a difficult experience versus a posative one. furthermore you might understand that difficult doesn't always mean "bad" and easy doesn't always mean "good".

I think each person should have their own view point and perspective and approach to tripping; much like the different approaches to psychology. as you get to know yourself as a "trip sitter" i think you'll soon be more comfortable and confident: which i think is important.

not only is it important to make the tripper feel comfortable; you have to feel comfortable too. otherwise that can affect the people around you: including your tripper that you're sitting for.

all in all; everyone has their own way: my way is to prepare, integrate, and transform and take extra time to focus on the process and seriousness of preparing, integrating, and transforming through the use of psychedelics. but by all means: that doesn't mean tripping can't also be fun, enjoyeable, recreational, medical, theraputic, or difficult. it can be a little bit of everything in my experience.

I think Trip sitting should be a sub-psychology interest: just because there are many approaches and perspectives to look at it from.

OH and i guess my last bit of advice would to try keeping a trip sitter's journal; they can help out alot as you go along.

Last edited:
the colors in this make it extremely hard to read, can you say less with more meaning and less color

aww well okay... i'll switch to black.

Also Does anyone else feel Trip Sitting is a psychological matter?

like i feel as though trip sitting is highly psychological and that studying psychology might also impact trip sitting effectivity?

Last edited:
I find that a sober trip sitter is much better, not saying you can't be high while trip sitting but I one was doing 360mgs of DXM with a friend and our trip sitter was on 180mg and stuff turned super scary and the trip sitter wasn't thinking straight and let my friend leave and we all ended up getting caught

I know it's been a long time since I made this thread but the person wound up not doing the mushrooms and said they never will. I had a bad trip about a month after making this thread and they happened to witness it. My only bad trip out of 50 trips, give or take. Oh well. I still do psychedelics and don't see myself ever stopping altogether. I don't do them as much as I was last year though. Last year I was tripping approx. once every week but now I haven't tripped in over two months. After this hiatus I almost feel sort of apprehensive but I know that sometime in the near future I will again. Take care everybody.