• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants which meth ROAs cause meth mouth

light thats blue

Greenlighter
Smoking methamphetamine is well known to contribute to the condition Meth Mouth, but do other routes of administration of the drug also cause this tooth decay? Does anyone know specifically if IV, plugging, snorting, or eating cause meth mouth?

I believe all ROA can/do cause it. This is due to methamphetamine causing bruxism and ataxia. So no matter how you do it you're gonna end up with those side effects which contribute to meth mouth.

No not as much, but meth by it's very nature will dry your body out overall so keep fluid intake up.

If you snort like a noobie then the afterdrip can possible settle in your mouth and dry it out some. Yet all meth mouth symptoms can be avoided if you brush your teeth immediately after, gargle, rinse and drink some baking soda (1tsp mixed into some water) to neutralise pH, and continually keep your hydration levels up. One glass after every trip to the toilet is a good rule to go by if you tend to forget.

Thanks for the info I'd also like to mention for anyone reading this thread to avoid mouth wash with alcohol as this can further dry out the mouth.

Mmmhh I'm gonna go with smoking.

Other ROAs can dry the mouth but Meth mouth is caused primarily from smoking the crap. If dry mouth caused this then all people popping vicodin or oxycodone like candy would have no teeth.

Last edited:
Meth mouth is caused by a combination of bruxism, dry mouth, poor hygiene, and poor diet. When you're tweaking the last thing on your mind is staying hydrated, brushing your teeth, and eating healthy. Because IV use has a greater effect in terms of affecting your behavior, you'll find IV users usually have the worst meth mouths, because they're the gnarliest tweakers.

Contrary to popular belief, it's not the chemical itself that this your teeth.

And The Doc, actually if you go to a methadone clinic you'll notice the haggard crowds there often sport some rotten chompers also, because opiates, especially methadone dry out the mouth. Since methadone also causes cravings for sweets, a lot of people eat ice cream and candy and drink soda incessantly, worsening things. Add to that that the klinik krew often isn't the best at taking care of themselves, and the result is that methadone mouth can be just as bad as meth mouth.

Yes letting your teeth rot by not implementing any oral hygiene isn't good for anybody and lots of Meth users get so wrapped up in the drug they stop caring about ever brushing them or going to the dentist. This is true no matter what the ROA is. I know many who smoke the stuff or Inject it and have good teeth from taking care of them. Then I also have seen many people who have a couple yellow teeth left from not giving a shit or not being able to afford dental.

In my opinion I agree with the fact that Any way you take it you can end up with bad teeth due to the side effects of meth. Generally when people get really bad Meth mouth its not because of the Meth itself per say but more so because of other external factors.

While the science is not conclusive for all the reasons of Meth mouth the theory's are the teeth grinding and loss of saliva due to constriction of the blood vessels.

There are many contradictory studies as to which causes worse Meth mouth smoking or injection. For instance Wikipedia states while there is no conclusive reason but most users who inject the drug are found to have worse conditions in the mouth region than users who use other ROAs.

Then there's the Meth Awareness and Prevention Project who state that the harsh chemicals used to make meth are very destructive to your mouth. This can cause rotting, decaying and cracked teeth, as well as mouth sores, gum disease and a dry mouth.

Although we can't say for sure which is true I believe the addictiveness of smoking Meth mixed with the fast acting nature that smoking has the user it at more risk of Meth mouth. I belive its because When a Meth user smokes Meth they are bringing the substance in through their mouth usually many times a day as they feel a compulsive need to redose due to the instant and fleeting high smoking give the user. This keeps the mouth dry constantly just from the vapour itself and I just can't believe that Meth itself unless extremely pure and well synthesised can be any good to have coming into direct contact with teeth. Again no conclusive science but that's a theory like the rest. Just because someone injects Meth does not make them more addicted than someone who smokes the stuff in fact because of the blood vessels leading straight to the brain from the lungs and the fact that users generally redose so often many scientists have concluded that smoking Meth is more addictive than shooting it. So the theory about injecting it being worse because IV drug users are all scum who dont care about themselves isn't quite true. I've seen many people that IV meth who can control themselves better than others that smoke the drug.

I guess we can all agree that no matter which ROA you use if you want to keep your teeth then good oral hygiene such as brushing multiple times a day is imperative to keeping a somewhat healthy mouth. But for which one is the WORST that can be up for debate since there are so many theories out there but In my experience I find the ones who smoke it to have the worst teeth and while its not known if its the hydrochloric acid used in the production of Meth makes the situation worse by coming in contact with teeth It still can't help matters any along with the fact users are generally hitting the pipe constantly without hardly putting it down or even giving themselves a chance to brush. Of course not everybody is like this but the majority of "addicts" I've seen who smoke this stuff tend to exhibit this behaviour.

I've never seen a methadone addict let their teeth get like this just from methadone most of the ones you see on done with no teeth got it from smoking crack or from years of neglect. There's no good reason methadone addicts should have no teeth if they take care if themselves and are not in active addiction with other substances.

Methadone causes dry mouth and tends to cause a craving for sweets and weight gain. If you're living a healthy lifestyle, eating right, staying hydrated, and taking care of your oral hygiene, your teeth will be fine. Then again, the same could be said for almost any substance, including crystal meth.

The problem is, these drugs can cause behavioral changes that can contribute to you neglecting yourself. Not for everyone, but for many, especially tweakers since meth changes your behavior so radically. If you've spent time around tweakers, its easy to see the damage they've done to themselves. Likewise, spend time at a methadone clinic and you'll notice many of them have the same types of problems - overweight, bad teeth, etc. Of course there are some that stay healthy, but it's certainly a minority, judging by the 3 years I spent at the clinic. It was a very, very depressing place.

Meth mouth is not caused by the actual meth. It is caused because it causes serious cotton mouth... Your mouth normally has millions of bacteria in it, and the saliva you produce washes it away and keeps it from eating at your teeth. So without all the saliva there (aka cotton mouth) the bacteria just sit there not being washed away and will just eat at your teeth and gums, anywhere there is sugar. It also doesn't help that people who get cotton mouth usually try and fix it by drinking things, like soda and other sugary drinks, which only makes the sugar level and this the bacteria level worse. I found the best way to avoid getting meth mouth is to drink a lot of water when high, or if you don't want to drink it, take a swish and spit it out every so often when your mouth gets really dry

Meth mouth is not caused by the actual meth. It is caused because it causes serious cotton mouth... Your mouth normally has millions of bacteria in it, and the saliva you produce washes it away and keeps it from eating at your teeth. So without all the saliva there (aka cotton mouth) the bacteria just sit there not being washed away and will just eat at your teeth and gums, anywhere there is sugar. It also doesn't help that people who get cotton mouth usually try and fix it by drinking things, like soda and other sugary drinks, which only makes the sugar level and this the bacteria level worse. I found the best way to avoid getting meth mouth is to drink a lot of water when high, or if you don't want to drink it, take a swish and spit it out every so often when your mouth gets really dry

This, pretty much. All ROAs of meth use can cause dental issues. Doesn't help that meth can also make people grind their teeth.

You can actually see similar issues with tooth decay in heavy MDMA users.

Drancer what do you mean "snort like a noobie"? I like to start every binge with a fat line. First I'll snort a line. Next I'll have a cigarette or two while I wait 15-20 minutes. Once the euphoria from the line I snorted peaks I'll start taking hits from my pipe. Nothing better. For me snorting is the best prerequisite to smoking meth. The initial rush I get from the first hit is way better that way.

I'll tell you first hand that even when snorted if you get lazy about brushing your teeth and keeping your mouth clean the damage will come on slower but still occur. I was dumb for a brief period, snorting meth then eventually pounding some benzos and going to sleep without brushing. Luckily I still went to the dentist every 6 months but it still messed me up a bit.

Also, I've noticed that smoking aPVP fucking destroys your teeth faster than anything on the planet; at least 10x worse than meth ever did for me. I won't comment as to how to why this happens chemically, but I've dealt with it first hand. aPVP is extremely caustic/corrosive however, snorting it eats away your nose very quickly, and oral dosing can irritate the hell out of your stomach.

Always make sure to brush, and brushing with a soft toothbrush (so you don't fuck with your gums) throughout the day can help. Also, having a bottle of Flouride mouthwash handy to swish after you smoke meth, or if you are snorting/injecting swish throughout the day can really help. All the other advice here was good too.

What is a PVP? I've been seeing that a lot lately but I don't know what it is.

What is a PVP? I've been seeing that a lot lately but I don't know what it is.

Google is your friend.

alpha-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
alpha-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone Alpha-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone.svg
A-PVP.png
Systematic (IUPAC) name
(RS)-1-phenyl-2-(1-pyrrolidinyl)-1-pentanone
Clinical data
Legal status

UK: Class B
US: Schedule 1

Routes oral, intranasal, vaporization, intravenous, rectal, sublingual
Identifiers
CAS number 14530-33-7 Yes
5485-65-4 (HCl)
ATC code ?
PubChem CID 11148955
ChemSpider 9324063 Yes
ChEMBL CHEMBL205082 Yes
Chemical data
Formula C15H21NO
Molecular mass 231.333 g/mol
SMILES[show]
InChI[show]
Yes (what is this?) (verify)

α-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone (alpha-pyrrolidinovalerophenone, α-PVP, alpha-PVP, O-2387, β-ketone-prolintane, Prolintanone) is a stimulant compound developed in the 1960s and related to pyrovalerone and is the ketone analog of prolintane.[1]

The mechanism of action is unknown for α-pyrrolidinopentiophenone. α-PVP is believed to act similarly to the designer drug MDPV, which acts as a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI), although no substantial research on this compound has been conducted.

α-PVP is a Schedule I drug in New Mexico, Delaware, Oklahoma, and Virginia. On January 28, 2014, the DEA listed it, along with 9 other synthetic cathinones, on the Schedule 1 with a temporary ban, effective February 27, 2014.[2] The Drug was explicitly made illegal in New South Wales after it was illegally marketed with the imprimatur of erroneous legal advice that it was not encompassed by analog provisions of the relevant act. It is encompassed by those provisions, and therefore has been illegal for many years in New South Wales. The legislative action followed the death of two individuals from using it; one jumping off a balcony, another having a heart attack after a state of delirium. It is sometimes the active ingredient in a drug often referred to colloquially as "bath salts".[3

Thanks. I can't use google though. I'm in fucking mainland China and they've really gotten aggressive lately. A lot of the old VPNs that used to work don't anymore. All I have to use for search engines now are ask.com and baidu. Ask.com doesn't work as well here and baidu (China's answer to google) sucks. Sometimes Wikipedia works. I'll be leaving for Cambodia though in two and a half months. I can't wait. I plan to stay and teach there for a few years but not before traveling the country and binging on meth for a few months. I'll be able to sit in front of the computer and watch youtube vids of people smoking meth while smoking meth myself lol! It'll be almost a year since I've been able to log onto youtube and it'll be sixteen months since I've used meth. I CANT WAIT!!! Please someone tell me they're happy for me.

Wow that's trippy as fuck. I always wondered what being a head in China was like. Remind me to avoid it like the plague. Cambodia should be a lot nicer, tons of good opiates and shabu down there haha.

The rare case where UTMFSE is just bad advice...

Thanks. I can't use google though. I'm in fucking mainland China and they've really gotten aggressive lately. A lot of the old VPNs that used to work don't anymore. All I have to use for search engines now are ask.com and baidu. Ask.com doesn't work as well here and baidu (China's answer to google) sucks. Sometimes Wikipedia works. I'll be leaving for Cambodia though in two and a half months. I can't wait. I plan to stay and teach there for a few years but not before traveling the country and binging on meth for a few months. I'll be able to sit in front of the computer and watch youtube vids of people smoking meth while smoking meth myself lol! It'll be almost a year since I've been able to log onto youtube and it'll be sixteen months since I've used meth. I CANT WAIT!!! Please someone tell me they're happy for me.

Badass dude! Do me a favor, can you let the ruling party know they can un-ban Mephedrone production now? Thanks :)

No not as much, but meth by it's very nature will dry your body out overall so keep fluid intake up.

If you snort like a noobie then the afterdrip can possible settle in your mouth and dry it out some. Yet all meth mouth symptoms can be avoided if you brush your teeth immediately after, gargle, rinse and drink some baking soda (1tsp mixed into some water) to neutralise pH, and continually keep your hydration levels up. One glass after every trip to the toilet is a good rule to go by if you tend to forget.
Everything you said was helpful but brushing your teeth immediately after smoking does more harm than good. The enamel on your teeth is weakened so much that it's almost falling off by itself, and it doesn't come back once its gone. If you're going to brush do it before or long after. There's one product that pretty much makes meth mouth a thing of the past. Biotene. It's the only thing that actually works. Really. Biotene. Now you can inhale all the viscous vapor you want. Worry free!

I am an IV meth user. In my experience there are different "phases" of the meth high with my ROA, and each "phase" has a unique effect on my mouth. Now I have been using for a while now, so I know these phases bc of continued meth use.

First 30 Mins after IV meth;
- Usually my mouth is totally fine. No grinding, getting dry, biting lip. Basically its the only time of my meth high where I dont even think about my mouth.

30 Minutes - 4 Hours:
This is the period of INTENSE dry mouth. If I dont have my biotene spray or mouthwash or water, my mouth/throat will get so dry I will throw up if I try and swallow. Have to force myself to drink water and spray during this time.

4hours - 8/9 Hours:
My mouth ailments vary the most in this time period. Basically any given day I can struggle with all kinds of issues. Dry mouth, biting lip, chapped lips, bad teeth grinding, repeated "picking" at a chipped tooth (from childhood not meth), and sometimes all at once.

9hours - Sober (12-18 Hrs):
In my opinion, OTHER than the dry mouth, this is where I cause the most damage. Cannot stop myself from biting my li

Typing from my phone.
continued...lips and running my tongue over all my teeth. I feel this is most noticable phase to other people as well.

First 2-3 days sober:
I continue to chew my lips during this phase. Believe what you want, I'm convinced its bc meth is still somewhat in my system even though I am sober. Some healing takes place, but still have issues.

Basically, meth is absolutely horrible for your teeth and mouth. Want a sparkly smile? Give the shit up haha.