150 mg. per day Oxycontin Habit / Detox Help

Northope

Greenlighter
Well unfortunately I really f'd up and started taking OC twice a day 12 hours a part :(
I worked my way up to taking 40-60 mg in the morning and 80 mgs at night. I originally started using after severe depression and anxiety and wanting to feel better to fill an emotional void left by a really bad year in my life which led me to start using. No BS here, I wanted to feel better and unfortunately started using and am on week 14 of my addiction.

I have had enough though and am just writing to share my story and experience and will continue to write during my detox. I feel ashamed, nervous, scared, and angry that I began using. It is against everything I knew and knew better but were all human right?

I finally came to the conclusion that I need to stop and came clean with my wife who is being totally supportive. I am at work at a remote sight but in a few days I go into town and will be evaluated by an ER doc who I have to tell my story to and he will decide wether I need to go to impatient detox or not. It is just the process at this hospital and how it works. I than will either be in inpatient detox or detox locally away from the hospital. My wife is totally supportive and my family doc is being supportive but I am so scared that I wont be strong enough and am already having bad anxiety attacks and acting irrationally.

I have 60 mg. a day for the next 3 days and than thats it. Do doctors typically prescribe support medication to help people deal with the anxiety. This will be my first time and god help me and my last detoxing and I have gone through tiny bouts of withdrawl in the past with recreational use but this time I used for 14 weeks and worked up to 150 mg a day and am honestly scared sh*tless but just need people to share their stories and offer support.

Does anyone have advice what worked for them . I took 2 weeks off work and rented a motel so I could just try to focus in myself and healing my body and mind from my abuse. After I detox I am scheduling therapy to help figure out different coping mechanisms for my pre-existing depression and terrible anxiety I had before using. Please write freely about what worked for everybody or share your experience and wish me luck. Thanks for letting me vent and share and thanks for taking the time to read and care. 8)

ummm you can still get the real OCs or the OPs?? but also it depends on the way you take em (snort, smoke, shoot) but yea 150mg is a pretty solid habit and pills are very addicting... honestly if your going through withdraw then the doctor is going to suggest going to a detox, and it can be scary as shit... ive been an addict for a hell of alot longer then four months and i was scared to death and it sounds like your a normal person who just got hooked, and hey it happens... my neghibor was a cop for 20 years, had an operation and became addicted and this man is not one to abuse any substance... but anyways, in my experience, all the ppl at detox where nice as hell and non-judgemental (everyones there for a reason) just do what you need to do to get off of em and just get on with your life... it sounds like you have a nice job (natural gas or energy sector type job?) and you dont wana lose it over some bullshit.... good luck with everything, it wont be easy but you can do it, also you might wana try and ween yourself down as much as you can in the days leading upto the doctor visit so to WDs wont be as bad when you do stop and yea they should give you atovan (spelled worng im sure) but it helps and theyll prob give clonodine, which for me was a fucking life saver it took 90% of the sickness away... just remember it wont last forever

I am not an addict, but am dealing with one. From what I've read here, his addiction is extreme. Oxy (well here on the streets it's actually fentanyl), 80 mg pills, snorting them, full pills, up to 10 per day. I've been watching him go downhill for weeks now. He tried to get into the methadone clinic, but was told it could be up to a 2 month wait, and to just keep doing what he's doing, taper off if he can, but just continue until they could get him in. Nice hey?

Earlier this week he had a meltdown. He was in bad shape. He decided to check into detox on his own, get locked up for 7 days. He went yesterday morning. He was out of the house by 7 in the morning. I went out for ribs with girlfriends last night. In the middle of dinner, around 6:30, my phone rings. It's him. Crying, saying he wants to kill himself, that they're not helping him there, that he is tempted to check himself out and drive his car into a brick wall, etc...

My heart breaks for him. One thing I have to give him credit for though, is that he's honest with me. I asked him when was the last time he had any, he told me that he snorted 3 pills at once in the morning before he went in, then had a hit off my one hitter (weed, thats pretty much all I do). So he went into detox ripped... lol

Anyways, what do you do? we all know addicts don't think like 'normal' people do (for lack of a better word). All I said to him was that I loved him, that while it's his decision to check himself out, he can't do it himself and he knows it. I reminded him that he was in my room the other day, crying, saying he's had enough and wanted his life back. Told him that he didn't get in the shape he's in overnight, and he sure the hell wont get better overnight. Told him it wont be easy, it wont be pretty (he tried doing it at home and no, it's not pretty at all....) but if he wants his life back, he needs to do this. Told him he'll go thru the worst of it in the clinic and that's where he needs to be because they can help him more there than he'll get at home or out on the street. He was in really rough shape when he called me last night and I'm sure he'll be even worse today but I think it's a small price to pay to get your life back. I kept expecting him to come home last night, but he didn't, so hopefully something I said to him made him rethink checking out. My only hope is that he sticks it out the full 7 days.

Bad things happen to good people. He started off much the same way (though he's always been into drugs of some kind). He got injured, was given Oxy for pain and the rest is history. Please don't be ashamed, there is nothing to be ashamed of. I think you should be proud you recognize you have a problem, are taking steps to try and fix it, that you came clean and have a support system and a plan in place. It will be hellish, but if you want your life back, this is something you need to do.

Good luck to you, I hope that everything goes well for you!

yea jan its not easy at all... i had to literally goto the ER 8 times before they would admit me into a detox facility and those places are not all that fun but thats how it is unless you got 20-30k dollars to spend on some up scale place and even then they have the same relapse rate as the shitty ones... but you sound like a amazing friend and pills are hard as shit to get off of... i smoked perc 30s for a year then shot dope for a year and honestly i would get sicker from the WDs of the percs then the H.... my brother is a pharmacist and thinks its because pills are man made and designed to cling to brian better then heroin and fentanyl is way stronger then oxys... but you may wana tell your friend to avoid the methadone, i had a friend go down that road awhile back and they dont call em liquid handcuffs for nothing... honestly if they give him some clonodine it should help out alot w the WD symptoms and if for some odd reason they dont have it at the detox then you can go to the ER and get em.... anyways best of luck to your friends and dont give up on him, had i not had my mother there for me idk what would of happened... the rest of my family pretty much wrote me off but she said she never would and ive pretty much got my act together now but hell get there and hopefully thank you for it one day.

In Canada, the province run detox centers are free for the most part, some charge a small fee, others don't, but yeah, they're pretty institutional, unless you get into an agency run one, where they charge, but nowhere near what they charge you guys down south. He's been on methadone in the past from what he's told me, but he's that desperate to get off that he's willing to take any kind of help he can get, even voluntarily locking himself up. He's free to leave when he wants but I think if he can make it a couple days, he can do the whole week?? He needs to do this, he knows it, he's trying, that's all anyone can ask for right? The fact he didn't check out last night like he wanted to says a lot imo.

Everyone needs someone in their corner. I've never been addicted to anything but I've seen what he's going through and it's awful. He has no family here, they're all in other parts of the country and he doesn't keep in contact with them anyways, and after the stories he's told me, can't say I really blame him. His on/off gf is a twat, he simply has nobody. He started out as a guy renting a room in my house to help me with some bills and he's turned into a friend. I wont turn my back on a friend who needs help.

yea jan its so retarded down here... i have state health insurance so i didnt have to pay anything to go but atleast in my state there are just so few options for someone who wants to get help... theres literally 15-20 beds for about 250k ppl so alot of ppl have to out of state, which you have to pay for... but you sound like a good friend and it is so hard when you know you can leave any time you want but you know you shouldnt... and it may take more then one try to get over it... mabe he could look into intensive out patient therapy, it helped me out alot and most detox places suggest that you do some type of follow up treatment after the detox

Your system down there is so fucked up. Sorry, not trying to offend but my god, it's like robbery down there. We have wait lists too, my city has over a million people in it and there are a lot of drugs here, but I do believe we only have 2-3 provincially run clinics in the city, all the rest are agencies that get funded from the province but like I said, even if you chose to go to an agency run clinic, it doesn't cost nowhere near as much as it does in the States, and frankly, if it's really bad, you just go to any of our hospitals and they will place you somewhere (sometimes severe cases take priority). It's fucked up here too, but not as bad as there by the sounds of it. I guess no system is perfect.

I'm fully aware he may relapse and quite honestly, I'm expecting it. My only hope is he sticks out the 7 days, does the counselling or whatever they do while he's in detox and that he actually does follow up with the outpatient program after he gets out. Will he? no idea, but I hope he does. He's a good guy, as I'm sure most of you are, who just happens to need a bit of help. When I was on the phone with him last night he was crying about not being allowed to smoke, that as luck would have it, where he parked was just outside of the room he'd be staying in. He said his car is right in front of his window, he's got smokes in the car and that it would be so easy to just ask for his stuff and get the hell out of there. He was twigging out bad last night when I talked to him but he didn't come home, and I can see thru my cell phone that nobody has disarmed the house (house alarm, I can tell when the house is disarmed as well as cameras in the house) so it looks like he's still there, which is a good thing for him. Tells me he wants this and is stronger than I thought he was if he's still there :)

I try very hard not to judge. Nobody is born a junkie, nobody just wakes up one day and decides it's a good day to turn into a junkie right? these things just happen for a variety of reasons and it could happen to any single one of us if the circumstances are just right. With the life I lived in my younger days, it's only by the grace of god I'm not addicted to something too!

Anyways, I kinda jacked this thread. I hope Northope that you're maybe getting something out of this? Nothing to be ashamed of and while it's going to take some work, it'll be so worth it for you in the end if you can beat this!

yea theres so much wrong with the entire US criminal justice system... its all about collecting bodies and keeping stats up... and im sure your right and he is a great guy, shit i was 18 hours away from a four year degree and threw it all away to sell pills and get high... had never been in any serious trouble before, misdeminor marijuana poss was the worst thing on my record... now im a pretial felon out on bond and could very easily go to prison and the real fucked up thing is that the cops already had buys on the people i got my shit from... and when they indicted me they even told my lawyer we know hes just doing this to support his addiction... wtf? why not try and get me some fuking help instead of trying to ruin my life? idk, its just so fucked up the way they work, and they wana put it in the news like they saved the state and cleaned up the city, but nothing changed... shit i hadnt even sold anything in over 15 months when i did get indicted... and i never realized how racist they really are, their were 22 ppl in my case and every black person is in regional jail cause the judge said they were flight risks and every white person got bond... anyways just saying your friend could have it alot worse, shit i have to stay clean and i still might end up in prison

Yup, he could have it a lot worse, that's for sure. He was telling me a few weeks back that if it weren't for me, he'd be homeless, and I suppose in a way he's right but he still pays me rent. I guess just the fact that he's living in a place that doesn't judge, is calm and peaceful, knows all about his issues and I try and help out when I can is what he's talking about. I just find it really sad that there is so much judgment surrounding addiction issues and how hard it is to get help for those who really want it.