• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

First time Kratom advice (Using for codeine withdrawals?)

perryade

Bluelighter
I have completely zero experience with this but I have a way of getting some. Is Kratom smoked like weed?

Also the source I found has 10 varieties and I don't know which one to choose or whether I'm allowed to list their names on here.

I've been using Codeine for maybe 7 or 8 years now, I've done cold turkey a few times and then started using again (I ignored the wise people on here who advised me to not think I'd be able to use once a week, the habit ALWAYS creeps back) and recently I started tapering but it's taking SO long.

I read that Kratom helps with WDs, is this correct? I actually don't mind the WD symptoms during the day time, it's the lack of sleep and inability to get any sleep that wrecks everything and basically destroys my daily routine so I'm hoping Kratom will help me with that. I can't get any Xanax or anything like that, it's basically impossible.

I know that codeine withdrawals are quite mild compared to what most of you guys go through but I'm up to 1,200mg a day sometimes and keep considering looking for harder opiates to save money. The codeine has stopped working for the most part unless I cut right down for a few days and the HEAVY, dense depression has set in.

So this is a verbose way of asking whether Kratom will do any good during WDs? And which kind should I get? Or are they pretty much all the same effect?

I've stocked up on mineral supplements and B6 and a tub of protein powder and am wondering if I should add this to my arsenal? I can't take antihistamines anymore for sleep, they just make me feel terrible. I just need to get past those few days where sleep is impossible.

Thanks!

edit: Oh, also restless leg is pretty intense with me, I start getting a pain basically in my left butt cheek -_- and have to keep stretching that leg in case anyone has advice on that?

Last edited:
I just post this because i see no one has replied yet.There are ppl here who have alot of experience w Kratom and there are a shitload of threads around that will help you(theres also Kratom Megathreads around).

Ive no experience with it but done research cause im thinking about buying some,most users here recommend Maeng Da and Bali i think,those are said to have the most "opioid like" properties/effects.

Usual dosage for beginners is 3-5 grams the first time,and usually its made into tea or just eaten and chased down with juice or something(you can also put it in gel capsules).

Im sure more experienced ppl will give you more and better advise,just wanted to cover some basics in case this was an emergency!

I've never used kratom for withdrawal but I heard it is pretty good as long as your habit isn't too big, which yours is not. Right now I have a slight tolerance and I take between 2-5 grams of regular Bali kratom twice a day. I ran out and had to quit for a time but I am not experiencing any kind of withdrawal.

I would suggest you get regular Bali crushed or powdered leaf as it's the cheapest and is still very effective. I'm not sure how much would help with withdrawals but I would start at 5 grams either swallowed whole (aka toss and wash) or made into tea. You should also have an empty stomach when ingesting kratom if you want maximum effectiveness.

Toss and wash is kind of difficult to do at first and will only work with powdered leaf but it lasts the longest. Tea is also tricky but depending on your taste is a tad less repulsive. For tea you will need lemon and/or lime juice and either powdered or crushed leaf. There are tea recipes available elsewhere so I won't go into that now.

Hope this helps, good Luck

Thanks for the replies. I'll look for that megathread.

I'll probably just try washing it down with a drink then and see what the effects are like. The main one I can find is called "green malay".

I'm thinking of getting the Red Riau if anyone has any experience with it? It sounds as if it's the closest to an opiate high out of the strains.

By the way will I have to take it on a day I don't take any codeine? Or should I try it before I start WDs just to see how I respond to it? I'm worried that it might be a bad idea, like basically doubling my codeine dose.

Just a heads up, kratom is an opioid therefor it will only prolong your withdrawal. For example, you can switch to kratom for the duration of your codeine withdrawal but as soon as you stop you'll be at square one again.

You can take codeine and kratom on the same day, but since they are additive it will just be like upping your dose of codeine. Red Riau can be good or it could be bad, it's all dependant on how it was grown. Quality between batches, even with the same strain varies from time to time. Typically red veins are the most "opiate" like, but kratom is still unique. Bali is widely regarded as the most opiate like fwiw. This thread below may help. Good luck :)

Utilizing kratom for opiate withdrawal:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/493024

how much karatom is too much karatom ! im coming off 8mg suboxone and dosing 3 x switching to 10grams 3x a day of karatom ! i feel nothing !

Silas, you've gotta taper the subs... kratom is weak as shit compared to sub. Most people usually make the switch at around 2mgs, your taking 24? Or 8? Even 8mgs is too high a dose. How much kratom is too much is completely subjective... I start getting dizzy and sick past 10gs but I've heard of people taking up to an ounce at a time. If you start feeling like shit, you took too much. Keep upping your dose by a gram or two until you find your limit. There's been a few threads on using kratom for sub withdrawal so I'd check em out.

Alcohol and kratom won't kill you, I just personally think it's a crappy combo... but then again I actually get effects from kratom lol. Is it at least taking your withdrawals away? If it is then that's all you should expect with a tolerance that high.

Last edited:
8mgs of bupe is indeed huge to just jump off,and if what they say about Subs increasing opiate tolerance is true,then i imagine Kratom would produce close to zero effects.

Alot of people are tapering and jump off at 1-2mgs of bupe,users who know what they are doing taper to even less so there you go..

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know it was basically an opiate, I just thought it had similar effects. It's kind of useless then for WD I suppose. The only upside is that I could taper better I suppose and it seems to be a cheaper source and less trouble than Codeine itself. (No CWE)

Does anyone know how much would be equivalent to 300mg Codeine? Just so I know how much to try. Or does it vary?

I have completely zero experience with this but I have a way of getting some. Is Kratom smoked like weed?

Also the source I found has 10 varieties and I don't know which one to choose or whether I'm allowed to list their names on here.

I've been using Codeine for maybe 7 or 8 years now, I've done cold turkey a few times and then started using again (I ignored the wise people on here who advised me to not think I'd be able to use once a week, the habit ALWAYS creeps back) and recently I started tapering but it's taking SO long.

I read that Kratom helps with WDs, is this correct? I actually don't mind the WD symptoms during the day time, it's the lack of sleep and inability to get any sleep that wrecks everything and basically destroys my daily routine so I'm hoping Kratom will help me with that. I can't get any Xanax or anything like that, it's basically impossible.

I know that codeine withdrawals are quite mild compared to what most of you guys go through but I'm up to 1,200mg a day sometimes and keep considering looking for harder opiates to save money. The codeine has stopped working for the most part unless I cut right down for a few days and the HEAVY, dense depression has set in.

So this is a verbose way of asking whether Kratom will do any good during WDs? And which kind should I get? Or are they pretty much all the same effect?

I've stocked up on mineral supplements and B6 and a tub of protein powder and am wondering if I should add this to my arsenal? I can't take antihistamines anymore for sleep, they just make me feel terrible. I just need to get past those few days where sleep is impossible.

Thanks!

edit: Oh, also restless leg is pretty intense with me, I start getting a pain basically in my left butt cheek -_- and have to keep stretching that leg in case anyone has advice on that?
Kratom works for sure. For max effects mix with grapefruit juice, white is the best they say. I get a big buzz from this mixture. I usually just mix with water because I don't want all the calories :) peace-cfz

Silas, you've gotta taper the subs... kratom is weak as shit compared to sub. Most people usually make the switch at around 2mgs, your taking 24? Or 8? Even 8mgs is too high a dose. How much kratom is too much is completely subjective... I start getting dizzy and sick past 10gs but I've heard of people taking up to an ounce at a time. If you start feeling like shit, you took too much. Keep upping your dose by a gram or two until you find your limit. There's been a few threads on using kratom for sub withdrawal so I'd check em out.

Alcohol and kratom won't kill you, I just personally think it's a crappy combo... but then again I actually get effects from kratom lol. Is it at least taking your withdrawals away? If it is then that's all you should expect with a tolerance that high.

yea i know i was on 24 mg a day but tapered down to 1mg or 2mg every 2 days and now on kartom it works great for the WD and pain is not as bad as i thought it would be !