View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Have no one to trip with for first time trip, tripping alone on shrooms

mr noah

Greenlighter
I really don't have much friends. I have my best friend who's like a brother to me, and I hang out with him and his friends but they aren't really good friends of mine. My best friend is afraid of psychedelics and wouldn't trip with me, but he suggested I trip at his friends house which we always go to and smoke. There's always like 4 or 5 of us there, I have always been an introverted person. I even prefer smoking weed alone so that I can listen to my own music, have my own thoughts, and enjoy myself without any interruptions. Part of me feels like there company might help me with not getting carried away with my thoughts but I feel like I would have a better experience with myself and not have to worry about other people laughing or thinking i'm strange. Im also tripping with one of my best friend's friends and if he were to freak out I wouldn't want it to ruin my trip. I know the first trip can be overwhelming and unsettling but I feel like i'm brave enough to face whatever comes my way, I love altered states of consciousness and am open to feel/see anything. This is the first time i'm ever tripping by the way. Suggestions?

I was in the exact same position as you the first time I tried psychs. I was much more comfortable by myself than with people.

If you find you're comfortable in your own skin, you truly like who you are, and you have a good place to do it, go ahead and do them by yourself. Put on some music, close your eyes, and get lost in the music.

I had an absolutely life changing trip by myself the first time on 2g of liberty cap mushrooms.

Like you, i enjoy listening to my own music, having my own thoughts etc. I like smoking with friends but so often I don't relate to the music, films etc they like. I had my first trip on my own, at my parents' house, in a day when I wouldn't be alone for all the time needed. So it was a blissful experience but also quite anxious. I learned to respect psychedelics and their power in ways i never thought possible. Today, about 2/3 of my trips are on my own. Tripping with friends and loved ones can be great, but tripping alone gives you much more freedom. You can imagine the feeling of having your ideas laughed at, or having to listen to a crappy song, in a trip where a 2min song may seem like 2 hours. Sometimes you're not even listening, you are the song, so it can really be heaven or hell.

So my advice: trip alone if you must (only you can know it) but do a lot of planning beforehand. Get a nice, comfortable place, check your schedule for a completely free day... even better if you're also free the day after to integrate the experience into normal life. Do lots of reading on what you'll take. Have a few different kinds of music, as the logic of the trip may take you to unexpected states of mind.

If you're posting here, it already means you respect the substance. I hope you stay on the safe side and have a fantastic mystery tour.

I really don't have much friends. I have my best friend who's like a brother to me, and I hang out with him and his friends but they aren't really good friends of mine. My best friend is afraid of psychedelics and wouldn't trip with me, but he suggested I trip at his friends house which we always go to and smoke. There's always like 4 or 5 of us there, I have always been an introverted person. I even prefer smoking weed alone so that I can listen to my own music, have my own thoughts, and enjoy myself without any interruptions. Part of me feels like there company might help me with not getting carried away with my thoughts but I feel like I would have a better experience with myself and not have to worry about other people laughing or thinking i'm strange. Im also tripping with one of my best friend's friends and if he were to freak out I wouldn't want it to ruin my trip. I know the first trip can be overwhelming and unsettling but I feel like i'm brave enough to face whatever comes my way, I love altered states of consciousness and am open to feel/see anything. This is the first time i'm ever tripping by the way. Suggestions?

I wouldn't advise doing your first trip alone, have your best friend be a sitter. You can always trip alone later.
Regardless if you trip alone or with your best friend, make it necessary that you get a hold of some xanax to take in case you have a bad trip. It will completely bail the trip and make you sober, think of it like naloxone which is given to opiate overdoses. Everyone else here might disagree with me, saying that if you take too much and think you're going to die and you submit you'll have a "spiritual experience". Take what you will. A lot of dangerous things can happen from psychedelics, not toxic ones of course, but inadvertent things.

I advise for your first time, start your dose low first, you didn't even mention how much you're taking or whether if you have a scale. You can always escalate your dose later.

Start with a low dose and work your way up as and when you feel comfortable with it.

I wouldn't advise doing your first trip alone, have your best friend be a sitter. You can always trip alone later.
Regardless if you trip alone or with your best friend, make it necessary that you get a hold of some xanax to take in case you have a bad trip. It will completely bail the trip and make you sober, think of it like naloxone which is given to opiate overdoses. Everyone else here might disagree with me, saying that if you take too much and think you're going to die and you submit you'll have a "spiritual experience". Take what you will. A lot of dangerous things can happen from psychedelics, not toxic ones of course, but inadvertent things.

I advise for your first time, start your dose low first, you didn't even mention how much you're taking or whether if you have a scale. You can always escalate your dose later.
My bad, i'm taking around 2-2.5 grams of shrooms. I hear that a sober person's energy is not a good one, my friend kind of sees psychedelics in a negative light and I think that would bother me during the trip honestly. I'll be brave to just go in alone.

I wouldn't do shrooms at a house with a bunch of people, but that's just me. I tend to get very annoyed with people when I'm on psych's and really the only person I could ever do them with was my ex. I'd do it alone.

Tripping around a bunch of people who aren't tripping, especially if those people have a negative view of psychedelics, is a bad call.

Alone is actually best, of course a sober sitter is always recommended to first timers as that's good advice, at higher doses it can be good to know someone is there with you, or even in it with you (tripping aswell), but chances are you will be fine and actually enjoy it more being alone where you can let it all hang out without the sense of anyone judging you, the attitude you expressed below is perfect, have a great time!

"I know the first trip can be overwhelming and unsettling but I feel like i'm brave enough to face whatever comes my way, I love altered states of consciousness and am open to feel/see anything"

ps forget the pharma drugs to try and 'kill a bad trip' as first of all that is admitting to yourself that things can go wrong, it would be better to have the attitude 'no mater what happens i will be ok', also trying to get rid of something that has been unearthed, trying to cover it up, it's just not what psychedelics are about if you actually want to benefit from the experience

Last edited:
Tripping around a bunch of people who aren't tripping, especially if those people have a negative view of psychedelics, is a bad call.
I couldn't agree more. Hanging with people who aren't tripping while you are is a fairly uncomfortable experience.

I would suggest starting low on the dose though if tripping alone Like 1.5 g dried.
you can always go harder the 2nd time around and would like to keep your first trip a good one.

First few times I tripped, I did it with friends. I always had good times, but I would recommend tripping alone your first time.

The first thing I suggest is to ensure the dosage is very low, always dip your toes first, no need to jump in at the deep end now is there? :)

Next up as for whether it's better for you to trip alone or with others, it sounds like you might enjoy a trip alone a little better, but it might be advisable to simply for example choose a house to trip at - get your friends to come along, and then section off one room to be your private trip space, start off the trip with them and if you feel like you'd be more comfortable alone, head into that room where they know not to bother you.

That means you can come out and get some company if you need it (and it's always advisable to have someone around when you're experiencing a psychedelic for the first time) but that company isn't mandatory throughout the trip if you find you'd rather be alone.

If your friends would be weirded out by you wanting to spend half/most/all your trip or whatever in a different room, then they're the type of friends who *would* be uncomfortable to spend a trip with imo.

Also, some people will say the complete opposite, but personally I'd advise not smoking any weed until your trip is just about over and you're heading to sleep, or not at all. Some people don't enjoy the combination of weed and psychedelics, some love it, to most it's neither here nor there, but whichever of those you fall under, it does significantly alter the trip and so it's always best to experience the first times *without* throwing anything else into the mix IMO :)

3 grams can be powerfully disorienting. I think that's too high a starting dose.

3 grams can be powerfully disorienting. I think that's too high a starting dose.

I agree 3 grams is to aggressive. 2 grams will give the use a good feel for what shrooms are most of the time, unless they are too aged and week 1.5 will be quite mellow in most cases, and 1 gram may be barely noticeable