• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD Shelf Life (When not stored properly)

TheCoyote1

Greenlighter
I have seen many posts answering how long it will last when stored properly. How long can one expect it to last if it is left in tin foil, kept out of sun light, put in a container such as a watch case, and left for a few weeks?

About 50-100 years in a temperate climate. In a tropical climate maybe 25-50 years.

Oh ok thanks guys. I always thought it had to be refrigerated, but wasn't sure how long it would last if it was accidentally stored at room temp.

I think that in some cases a sample may have gotten wet, or improperly wrapped left to oxidize... and the impurity (which is usually irrelevant) may contribute, especially if very acidic or alkaline... in some of those cases LSD may degrade relatively more quickly and it is seen as a fluke.
Indeed those factors are kind of hard to track, so it can come unexpectedly that some people notice more degradation over time than others.

But in general the sensitivity of LSD tends to be exaggerated. And weeks if not months should be okay if you are not involving unusual exposure.

Those decade claims are IMO only true if you happen to beat all the factors and shield from heat, oxygen, moisture and light.

mr coyote I wouldn't be too concerned. :)

Still got LSD I stored in tinfoil in a glass jar at room temp 7 years ago that's as fresh as a daisy. For it to lose even 25% I think we're talking at least another decade or two at this rate.

I have stored LSD for more than 5 years. Room temp as well. Same system I use for storing LSZ and AL-LAD; gas tight container, containing amber glass vials, dessicants and O2 absorbers, and purged with an inert gas, as in Argon in my case. My AL and LSZ has held up fine for about 16 months so far as well. I also think that if stored properly, these can last for a very long time as well. And no...I don't believe freezing is necessary, but that's just me. Just stick with dealing with the enemies; heat, light, oxygen and moisture, and you should be good to go. Just my opinion...

How do you do the inert gas thing? Just squirt it into the jar and close the lid as quick as you can?

I suppose now we have the wonders of the darknet storing for decades isn't as vital as it once was.

I have stored LSD for 10 years without noticeable degradation by putting it in a ziplock baggy in the freezer. Airtight, cold, dark.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that rather than LSD being "unstable" if you kept it in some tinfoil inside a book at room temperature it will still be as potent long after our great-grandchildren are dead.

I've never noticed any drop in potency of any acid or al-lad I've ever had. I think 6 or 7 years is as long as I've stored it. Still as potent as the day I stored it. I'm not sure where this idea that it was unstable came from.

The airtight canister I use to store the amber glass has access on the bottom and the top. I open the "valve" on both top and bottom and purge all O2 out of it, quickly sealing Argon into the container. I also flush my amber glass container the paper is in. You take a large zip lock bag. put the vials in, with the tops off. Then, I purge the bag thoroughly of air and with Argon. Then, carefully, I screw the caps back on the vials, while in the argon filled, sealed right through the bad. Hence, no air in the vials. Works like a charm. If you want small canisters of Argon, they are sold as a wine preserver, and can be gotten online for a few bucks a can. Make sure you get pure argon, and not a blend. Dry, cool, no light, no O2. Works like a charm.

I also wonder about its instability.. I've had it stored in awful conditions (very warm, moist, light) for a few months and had no noticeable deterioration.

How stable is it compared to a human lifetime tho suck? This I've had for 7 years hasn't lost anything noticeable to a human brain - if we say the next 7 years loses perhaps 2%, we're still all going to be long dead before it's even half as potent.

It's pretty stable IME. I've had some stored for 2-3 years. It was wrapped in foil, put in a baggy and thrown in to my stash box that has a couple desiccants in it. The box is kept at room temperature in a drawer.
I feel like if you store it sensibly you don't have to worry much.

A few years ago i found a tab that had been sitting in the bottom of my backpack for at least 8 months. It was just as potent as any of the other experiences i'd had with the same blotter, and had been in terrible conditions (heat, not even wrapped in alfoil or plastic). I was pretty stoked to find it to say the least, especially since i was camping lol

It was the sort of cardboard that would take up to 20 minutes to dissolve in the mouth though, as opposed to the stuff that sometimes goes to mush very quickly- this might make a difference but i am not too sure.

Ismene, how long has your AL-LAD been stored? I have some i've been meaning to transfer to the freezer and have been concerned about whether it has lost any potency as there have been several mentions of it being an unstable compound around the place

It definitely seems that most 4-sub tryptamines are FAR more unstable then LSD is.
Tbh the LSD instability rumour is very widespread although I have not heard of anyone actually having their LSD degrade noticeably.

Ismene, how long has your AL-LAD been stored? I have some i've been meaning to transfer to the freezer and have been concerned about whether it has lost any potency as there have been several mentions of it being an unstable compound around the place

Was it the summer of 2013 that it first came out? It's been since about June 2013, in tinfoil in a glass jar at room temp in the dark. Never noticed any difference when I last tripped on it in summer 2014. I know the theory was that it was very unstable but that's proved to be untrue too.

Thank you so much guys for supporting my hope that freezing is not necessary for Lysergic acid amides, because I cannot trust my freezer. It is full of ice, fish fingers, dried mushrooms of many kinds and a Trichocereus cactus anyways... ;)

Yeah - I'm not convinced by freezing unless you can do it right - glass jar filled with argon. And it's not neccessary anyway. Unless you're planning on living till you're 200.