• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Using loperamide(Imodium) for heroin withdrawals- does it work?

schwelly

Bluelighter
Hello, I've been reading time and time again that using loperamide in high doses greatly eases opiate withdrawals- is this true? I know in lower doses it doesn't cross the BBB. But I have read that in doses of 20-50mgs it greatly eases symptoms of withdrawals. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it work?

yes it works to an extent...

how much heroin are you using a day?

how are you using it?

i took a shitload of it last monday on my first day of cold turkey and it did absolutely nothing.

I've only been using black tar for like 6 weeks. I quit for 5 months before that. I smoke a gram-1.5 grams but I always take about 3-4 days off a week so it isn't every day. I know that's a lot tho I'm ready to quit again for at least a couple months -maybe for good-how much should I twke

I've only been using black tar for like 6 weeks. I quit for 5 months before that. I smoke a gram-1.5 grams but I always take about 3-4 days off a week so it isn't every day. I know that's a lot tho I'm ready to quit again for at least a couple months -maybe for good-how much should I twke

If youre not using daily and can manage to stay off H for 4 days each week,i dont think you should worry too much about WDs.

I mean sure,there will be the psychological part mostly,youll prolly feel bored and stuff,maybe a lil depressed but dont get yourself too hyped up about a 1.5month addiction where you dont even use half the week.
Horror stories and scaring yourself with WD thoughts wont do any good and in fact can really worsen the situation,whereas normally you might not even notice it(physically at least).

Sure,you could try some Immodium(theres a big megathread about it) or maybe some benzo but i would be really cautious about it since there are some old threads about ppl getting addicted to Loperamide(lol i know but its true) and it would be a pity to do bigger damage while trying to get off a(relatively) short term habit!

Yeah well I would go on like a 3 day binder use a gram- 2 grams a day then quit for 3 days. I do get wd symptoms just not severe- I get anxiety, I sweat a lot I shake, I get a bit depressed. I haven't gotten cramps or bones hurting- I just want to ease up on my habit because school is starting soon and as a nursing student I think the most I could do a week is 1x a week. So I will try the lope to ease anxiety(this is the worst for me I have anxiety normally- it's minor and I don't need meds for it but withdrawals aggravate it bad) and I will take a nice 2 week break to lower tolerance- plus 2 grams a day is expensive for me- I want to get back to where a .5 would have me nodding. So would you say maybe 30 mgs lope for 3 days then cease using it- stay clean for another 10 days then go back at it lightly?

One other thing,and im not implying anything here,is that if you decide to continue using,id suggest to look for a different contact/dealer.

2 grams/day with no tolerance is almost a ridiculous amount and id tend to think that the particular quality of my product is not the best(to say at least).

Imagine that i pretty much use almost non stop for like 7 years and around 1.5(of semi decent product) is enough for me.I only used more that this when the quality was crap(for a period,i went from 0.8 to 4 grams/day in like a week cause my connect was bust and had only access to the worst street shit around) so these things play kinda a big part. :/

I do have a tolerance tho. I've been smoking for 6 weeks now(not everyday) and I get plenty high on a .6-.7 when I smoke tho I just like to get obliterated- like til I nod out- and I start nodding on a gram but I like to keep that nod going for a couple hours- does it still sound like his stuff is shit? I've tried some other dealers and theirs isn't as good- I'm talkin black tar here as well

Idk,i mean you do have a tolerance,any repeated use in a certain timeframe is bound to increase tolerance,i just dont know if the nature of the use(several months,3-4 times a week) matches the quantity of product needed to be used.
You could be one of those ppl who (for some reason) needs to take more of a certain drug than most users,i seen it happen w coke and H,i just find the amount of 2gs a little bit excessive(regarding the above conditions).
Given that youd take a break for say,3 or 4 days in a row(stay totally clean from opiates) id imagine that when you "pick up the foil" youd need like 0.5g to feel "good" and like 1g max to get smashed(with 3-4 days of abstinence that would hold true with most people i know including myself).

Now,the next day youd maybe do the same amount,but 3rd day and after you might need to up the dose a bit(although w good product youd prolly need like a week for this to happen),say add another 0.5 in the mix(quite generous) for a total of 1.5 by the 3-4 day.Even that id consider "a bit too much",but 2grams seems really alot..

So is your product bad?Idk but id certainly keep my eyes peeled for new contacts(as you always should),and maybe try to lenghten the timespace between redosing,see if i can get the desired effects with a little bit less.Would be good for the wallet and tolerance as well!!

*All the talking about amounts needed to get high are generalizations,assuming that were talking about regular-semi decent-decent Heroin that most ppl have access to_Obviously not talking about that one "batch" straight from Afganistan that comes around once every 10 years and 50mgs can make you OD.

Last edited:
Hello, I've been reading time and time again that using loperamide in high doses greatly eases opiate withdrawals- is this true? I know in lower doses it doesn't cross the BBB. But I have read that in doses of 20-50mgs it greatly eases symptoms of withdrawals. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it work?
Naltrexone is far more effective. Why bother with something that's not cns effective.

Right, naltrexone to alleviate opiate withdrawal... great idea! (Sarcasm). If you'd read into loperamide you would know that it mitigates opiate withdrawal, sometimes completely. The purpose of naltrexone is to block the effects of opiates, not alleviate withdrawal...

i think heroin works great for WD ! just taper down to nothing then when your feeling any wd use karatom

Loperamide is an opiate that normally does not cross over into the bloodstream. Don't know if it might if the dose were pushed? Definitely should make your tummy feel better. If your plan is to lock yourself in a cabin and sweat it out, I'm sure it will help but I'll bet you will still have to deal with cravings for a while. Suboxone is expensive but it buys you some time for your brain (and mind, and spirit) to heal.

The best thing for craving imho is methadone. Not the ideal medication not that sort of thing. But because it not only blocks other opiates and at the meantime satisfy your mind and body.

I do have a tolerance tho. I've been smoking for 6 weeks now(not everyday) and I get plenty high on a .6-.7 when I smoke tho I just like to get obliterated- like til I nod out- and I start nodding on a gram but I like to keep that nod going for a couple hours- does it still sound like his stuff is shit? I've tried some other dealers and theirs isn't as good- I'm talkin black tar here as well

I'm thinking the difference is that you are smoking it. I was smoking black tar and it took massive amounts for me to nod. As soon as I started banging it I could do a dime to nod. And I never got back up to as much as I was smoking in a day.
I AM IN NO WAY CONDONING STARTING IV!! DO NOT DO THIS!
Especially since if I am not highly mistaken I read a thread started by you talking about maintaining your use and being able to not use for 5-7 days between uses, and here you are saying it's now 3-4 days and you are getting withdrawal. I am in no way being judgemental, I am a heroin addict myself, but just out of pure concern for you as a person, quit while you still can. It seems to be sucking you in. It's terrible the way it happens you start bending your own rules and soon it will be one or two days between use and then it will only be in the mornings, but I still got this right? Wrong! Please please do yourself a favor and quit while you are ahead!!

That being said I can't attest to the effectiveness of immodium but I'm sure there is a thread on it somewhere around here. Also there is an opiate withdrawal megathread, check it out.

Thanks man! Ya I did start that thread- and I did state in this thread that I was using more- but I actually posted under the guise of it being me when in reality it is my mom :( she has been asking for help- she is a nurse too and got into their narcotics a couple years back and now she uses H cause she doesn't want to get caught. I thought I would come in here and ask for her cause she can't get through withdrawal. In able to maintain my habit right now- but after seeing my mom go down I think I'm gunna throw in the towel. I don't wanna end up like her- and she is an addict so s good chance I could have it too. ;/ sucks cause I really like the high H gives but not worth it it seems the more and more I look into it

For real quit while you are ahead. Heroin has totally destroyed my life. And countless others. Two people I know overdosed and died on the same day this week, and still it doesn't stop. It's so sad. Do whatever you have to do to stop before it sucks you in!!